  Re: Tuff Competition for LINUX! ("Les Mikesell")

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: 2.4 Kernel Delays.
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 05:34:59 GMT

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 21:42:31 GMT, R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Compaq does have a legitimate beef.
>
> No, they don't.  For some reason they have made up their minds that
> they must have 2.4 right now.  I have no idea why they think that, but
> the stuff you're talking about is *already being done* by other
> companies using 2.2 kernels.  What Compaq executives have in their
> heads is not Linus' responsibility.
>
> >They were planning to release the Ipaq and their Internet Appliance
> >with the 2.4 kernel.
>
> What do these need from 2.4 that isn't in 2.2?  USB is the only thing I
> can think of, and everybody else is shipping backports on 2.2 kernels.
> For that matter, just ship 2.4-pre-something and call it good.  I don't
> think appliance users are gonna get all bent about what version they
> have.
>
> Yup, it sounds like the 'problem' lies mostly in the heads of some
> executives.
>
> >Very true.  One of the problems right now is that OEMs are
> >assuming that once 2.4.1 comes out, that will be "it" for
> >the next two years.
>
> Then they haven't been paying attention for the last two years.  Not
> Linus' fault.
>
> >There are two many people betting too much for you to wait
> >another 3 months for "perfection".

If they have so much on the line, why don't they devote a bunch of
programmers to it like everybody else does?

--
Did you know that if you took all the economists in the world and lined
them up end to end, they'd still point in the wrong direction?

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 00:39:43 -0500

Said Erik Funkenbusch in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"John Brogan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
   [...]
>Could you try again, and this time address the points I raised in my message
>instead of going off on some unrelated tangent that has nothing to do with
>what I wrote?

Apparently, you misunderstood what John wrote, and may well have
misunderstood (or be misrepresenting) what you wrote.

>1) At the time we're talking about, Windows was not a monopoly, and wasn't
>even running on 10% of computers.

At the time, "the monopoly" would therefore refer to DOS.  The Windows
monopoly *is* the DOS monopoly.

>2) There's no logical reason for BMW to force users not to use 3rd party
>strereo's, the car does not compete with the stereo.

The car does not compete with the stereo?  Are you really that confused?
The appropriate application of the analogy, or comparison, if you will,
is whether BMW manufacturers their stereos themselves, or if this
putative warranty mechanism you cite is a way to ensure BMWs always
work, or whether every car on the road has a BMW stereo (and a BMW car,
because that's the only way to get the stereo to work).  It isn't the
actions which is illegal; it is the class of action.  Whether some
producers have certain warranty limitations has nothing to do with
whether restraint of trade is legal.

======USENET VIRUS=======COPY THE URL BELOW TO YOUR SIG==============

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!

http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 05:37:42 GMT

"Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:jk_K5.116763$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> So you suggest that no open source software is secure?
>
> I tend to agree with you. It's one of my beefs with Linux.
>
> Luckily Microsoft can now change their source code and keep those changes
> hidden.

Why is it good that changes can be hidden from you?  They aren't
hidden from everyone.

> Linux users will always feel very afraid about the backdoors people could
> intorduce in their source.

But nowhere near as afraid as about the backdoors people could
introduce and exploit in closed-source software without others
easily spotting the holes and reporting them.   What is the main
motivation for keeping closed source software after all?
Something about taking money from the customers, isn't it?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 00:41:20 -0500

Said Bruce Schuck in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> No...what we need is a couple of assasins to knock off the leadership
>> of this criminal organization.
>
>Just the usual comment from the nutcase Unix fanatics.

No, just Aaron.

>And companies trust people like this?

Well, companies aren't quite icons of trustworthiness, themselves,
necessarily.

>Scary!

That nutcases exist is not scary, but real life.  Good morning.

Thanks for your time.  Hope it helps.

From: R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 05:28:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" wrote:
>
> > In article <58rft8.4oe.ln@gd2zzx>,
> >   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > In article <8tdjgk$to2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > >       R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > >
> > > I normally really enjoy your posts Rex but I think you are wrong
> > > with respect to the 2.4 release. Microsoft releases are always
> > > beta (if not alpha). They just give them an official release name.

Tell you what.  Give me a list of the critical bugs that make Linux
unfit for release.  If there's a crisis in the code, and it really
is unfit for corporate consumption, then we can just postpone Linux
2.4 until next year.  Of course, this will kill any attempt to put
Linux on OEM machines, and any hope of getting Linux onto retail
shelves during any peak season.

Thus far, I have heard of no critical bugs that make 2.4 anywhere
near as buggy an Windows 2000, or early releases of Windows ME, 98, 95,
NT 4.0, or NT 3.5

If Linux 2.4 is significantly worse on generic single-processor
workstation and laptop environments than 2.2, that would be a good
reason to hold off.

If on the other hand, the problem is that we haven't seen Linux blow
Windows 2000 out of the water on 32 processor SMP arrays, then we're
talking something significantly above previus achievements.  If 2.4.1
can't to quantum computing the first week out, it's O.K.  There's
plenty of time to tweak the "Super Server" configurations later.

> > I think that's the point.  Linux 2.4 is already significantly better
> > than any version of Windows AND better than any previous version of
> > Linux.  It's ready for release as a 2.4.1 product now!
> >

> I'll say one more thing about this.

> Caldera has a preview
> distro with this kernel on it.  It sold.

That's great!  And further more, there are plenty of people
who have had no problem putting it on their systems.  SuSE also
included 2.4 as did Red Hat, but had to put it in as "experimental",
rather than as the default installation kernel.

> There is NO reason anybody could not install the beta and
> put it on their machine if they wanted to jump ahead.

There is no reason that joe user, superhacker, can't install
2.4 on his machine and have a really terrific system.

Unfortunately if Joe User wants to use that system at work,
he could be fired. The corporations that do allow Linux still take
a dim view of exerimental products in production environments.  This
includes use as a workstation.

True, this is antiquated thinking that goes back to Mainframes of
the 1960s.

> But if anything went wrong it would be THEIR blame.
> Not Linus's BLAME.

If Linus is legitimatly trying to protect Linux users from making
a catastrophic mistake then he should provide clear indication of
the caveats.  If he's trying to protect economic interests of
the makers of super-servers by delaying a component critical to
desktop users (and perfectly suitable to that purpose) then this
is a huge disservice to the user community who has supported
Linux for so many years, then it's a betrayal.

> What they REALLY want is TRANSFER OF BLAME should something
> go wrong.

Not really.  Regardless of what software they use, everybody
includes so many disclaimers that it's nearly impossible to
sue, even for malicious damage.

On the other hand, corporate decision makers look to the
publishers for guidence as to what is appropriate for general
use.

Compaq **could** put 2.4 on their appliance, but the investment
community would consider it an excessive risk.  Dell **could**
put 2.4 on their laptops, but the stock would dip and corporate
customers wouldn't go for it.

The "test" or "beta" designation is a red light.  Until that is
removed and stamped "production" (the green light), the corporate
market won't go for it.

> And since GNU/LINUX is GNU/GPL licensed and they accept
> no responsibility for any damanges with ANY of their
> software, I feel this whole issue is just absolutley

Correct.  But there is taking a huge risk on beta software
that has an 80% chance of trashing your entire hard drive
and early production software that has a 95% chance of
working better on your computer than it's predecessor.

> silly for Compaq to do what they have done.

Excuse me.  Given Linus' previous track record of moving from
beta to productios in less than a month, with Linus himself
announcing 2.4 expected to be out in July (for San Jose Linux Expo),
Compaq had every reason to expect that Linus would deliver something
in time for the Christmas season.

Keep in mind that John "Maddog" Hall went to the mat at Compaq, and
others went to the mat at IBM, Dell, HP, Sony, Toshiba, and several
other companies.  I've been pushing harder than anybody for OEMS to
put Linux on their laptops and desktops.  I was even betting that
by October 11th, that Linux laptops and desktops would be sitting
at CompUSA.

When Linus announced that Linux 2.4 wouldn't be available until
sometime next year, literally days before the October 11th date,
it screamed "Sell Out".  I don't know where the pressure is coming,
but someone's pushing Linus very hard to NOT release 2.4 in time
for Christmas.

There is one internet appliance that is Linux powered, and it is on
display.  You can't tell it's Linux, and it works pretty good.  At
$300, the price is right too.  But it isn't a full-blown
KDE/GNOME/Linux system with all the trimmings.

> It's almost as if Compaq management has NO BRAINS AT ALL.

Compaq took a calculated risk based on an established track record
of stability, and reliable delivery.  They had some of the innermost
kernel gurus giving positive feedback.  They had reliable feedback
indicating that Linux 2.4 would be ready for shipment as soon as the
Windows 98 contracts expired at the end of September.  This would
leave a week or two to roll out the production system.  In fact,
Compaq had been testing the 2.4 kernel on several of their machines,
including the Ipaq and the machine currently displayed as the "MSN
companion".  Linux was supposed to be on this system.  Instead,
Linus put 2.4 on indefinite hold.  So instead, we have MSN Internet
Companion running in every CompUSA, Circuit City, Best Buy, and nearly
every other major consumer retailer.

Meanwhile back at the ranch, Linux consumer line products still sit in
a back room, waiting for Linus to release the "Official Version".  The
prototypes are tested, working, and ready to go to market.  The big
delay is Linus.

PC history is full of stories of big, brilliant systems that were
sandbagged during the most critical period.  The Atari 1020 ST was
delayed past the Christmas season and never recovered.  The Commodore
Amiga suffered a similar fate.  The Mac II was sandbagged and microsoft
broke the momentum.  When DRI released DR-DOS, the OEMs were forced to
wait for a green-light from Windows, which they didn't get until
it was too late.  With no time to correct the Windows glitches, the
OEMs had no choice but to stay with MS-DOS.

What astonishes me is that Linus somehow let himself be sandbagged
at the highest level by some force that is clearly trying to keep
Linux off the market.

Compaq has a very legitimate beef.  So do all of the other OEMs.  And
it's very likely that if the Linux community continues to take the
attitude that economic pressure is irrelevant, the corporate community
will simply stop doing business with a vendor/supplier they can no
longer trust.

Two years from now, if Linux was running on 200 million machines,
and vendors had enjoyed terrific profits and benefits, then the
corporate interests would have been willing to tolerate a moderate
delay.  But with a mere 40-60 million self-supporting users who have
installed Linux on their own workstations and desktops, Linus is
pretty much treading on thin ice.

This is the worst possible time to suddenly go "feature happy"
trying to pack perfection into every new feature.

If Linus could be trusted to NOT release Linux 2.4 until July of
next year, or to postpone the undeliverable features until next
july, and could deliver the critical systems (USB, Firewire,
large files, and Interrupt/Process binding).

--
Rex Ballard - VP I/T Architecture
Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why don't I use Linux?
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 05:40:37 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Why haven't I switched from Windows to Linux?

Here it comes...

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 05:42:43 GMT

Brandon Van Every wrote:

> > <and then depression set in....>
>
> I finished assessing Linux.  I don't think Linux has any magic answers
> for the PC industry.  Its strengths are offset by inertial forces beyond
> its control, i.e. Microsoft.  Commercial support goes first to Windows,
> second to Linux.
>
> I think the most interesting thing about Linux nowadays is actually the
> marketing of it, which is an odd thing to say about "the hacker's OS."
> As a networked server OS it seems to have growing strength against
> Microsoft.  This is the big market that drives its progress, it's where
> all the real IHV and commercial support is coming from.
>
> Computer enthusiasts are the smaller market, the ones who want
> "something more efficient than Windows to play Quake."  This is why
> certain 3D cards like NVIDIA are supported.  It gives me a good reason
> to port a game someday, after I've finished one on Windows.  The
> enthusiast market may be small, but there's little competition.  Rather
> much like writing games for the Mac.
>
> But both in terms of marketing and technology, I see no future for Linux
> as a mass-market, consumer-friendly OS.  There, I've stated the obvious.
> It's been true since the inception of the system, nothing has changed in
> that regard, and nothing will change.  Linux culture is fundamentally
> "roll your own."  As such, it would be useful as an Internet game server
> someday.  But that's just a "kewl" idea until I'm actually ready to
> pursue such a thing.
>
> Every 2 years I poke my head up and see where Linux is at.  Time to fall
> asleep again.  :-)
>
> I think I'll post this to comp.os.linux.advocacy just to watch the
> fireworks.
>
> Cheers,                         www.3DProgrammer.com
> Brandon Van Every               Seattle, WA

Killfile. *ploink*

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: sound software
Date: 30 Oct 2000 05:44:30 GMT

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 21:53:36 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I know there's a large number of knowledgable people here on cola, so I
>thought I'd try here first.
>
>I have searched, so don't flame.
>From a search on Freshmeat
123mp3 Converts CD tracks to into MP3 files
Aglaophone System for real-time audio processing and analysis
AlsaPlayer PCM (audio) player for Linux/ALSA
autolame Automatic encoding of .wav files
cd-2-mp3 An MP3 ripper and encoder
cd2mp3 Records CD audio tracks directly to mp3 format
cdr CD ripper and encoder frontend
ecawave audio file editor
GDAM Geoff and Dave's audio daemon, dj mixing software
Grip A gtk-based frontend for CD-rippers
GTKmp3make GTK front end for cdripper and mp3 encoder
KBlade KBlade is a frontend to BladeEnc (mp3 encoder) for KDE
kmpg An MP3 and MPEG-I video player for the KDE
KWav2CD A CDRDao frontend to create audio CDs from .wav files

plus heaps more ..

There was a total of 44 aplications returned from a search of Mp3 and Wav.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Claire Lynn
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 00:48:36 -0500

Said ostracus in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Charlie Ebert"
   [...]
>While this is good that your not surrounded by "goobers" one of the harder
>things is keeping abreast of what a good solution is.  Today's good
>solution is tommorrows archaic.

Only if you're ignorant of what a "good solution" is.

   [...remainder of apologetic defense of goobers snipped...]

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 05:48:02 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:gT0L5.4931$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > I would HATE to be a systems administrator of a Microsoft OS shop
> > in just about 3 months time after this code has had time to be analyzed.
>
> You gotta love the hypocricy.

What hypocricy?  Although nothing has really changed here.

> Linux source is available openly, and that's a good thing, yet given the
> mere hint that MS source might be available, suddenly that makes Windows
> incapable of being secure.

Linux source has been open to the good guys as well as the
bad, so we have an opportunity to plug the holes before they
are exploited.   MS code has never been  available to the
good guys.   And now we know it is in the hands of known
hackers.  It could have been before - we just didn't know.

> Sorry, Charlie.  Use your brain.

His brain isn't the one in question.

From: Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: The BEST ADVICE GIVEN.
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 05:50:39 GMT

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Considering today's events about Microsoft and
> > their being HACKED into,
>
> I wouldn't say "hacked", an employe was deceived
> into opening an email.
>
> Unfortunately, the weakest link in any good security
> plan is humans. Note that the "hackers" or "crackers"
> weren't able to actually "hack" into MS, they had to
> deceive an employee to run an app on their system.

Not true.  In a secure system, users without administrator privileges
cannot run programs which do these things.

--
Police: Good evening, are you the host?
Host:   No.
Police: We've been getting complaints about this party.
Host:   About the drugs?
Police: No.
Host:   About the guns, then?  Is somebody complaining about the guns?
Police: No, the noise.
Host:   Oh, the noise.  Well that makes sense because there are no guns
        or drugs here.  (An enormous explosion is heard in the
        background.)  Or fireworks.  Who's complaining about the noise?
        The neighbors?
Police: No, the neighbors fled inland hours ago.  Most of the recent
        complaints have come from Pittsburgh.  Do you think you could
        ask the host to quiet things down?
Host:   No Problem.  (At this point, a Volkswagon bug with primitive
        religious symbols drawn on the doors emerges from the living
        room and roars down the hall, past the police and onto the
        lawn, where it smashes into a tree.  Eight guests tumble out
        onto the grass, moaning.)  See?  Things are starting to wind
        down.

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Tuff Competition for LINUX!
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 05:52:33 GMT

"Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:QF1L5.116842$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > The real lesson is: Say NO to VPN's. Say NO to dial-up access from
> outside
> > > the secure LAN.
> > >
> > > DO NOT TRUST ANY MACHINE OUTSIDE YOUR FIREWALL.
> >
> > Hey!  The real lesson here is don't trust Microsoft!
>
> Everyday the Linux source is checked in and out of the software source
code
> repository and worked on. And most of those computers are at home. They
> aren't behind a firewall. They could be just as infected as that Microsoft
> employees computer.
>
> Makes you feel all safe and cozy with Linux. Right?

You do understand that the most serious hacking comes from
inside, don't you?   Disgruntled employees, industrial spies,
and the like....