From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Two articles from the register
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:11:05 -0400

"Donal K. Fellows" wrote:

> Matthew Gardiner wrote:
> > Oh, and regards to the TCP rappers, it wasn't a security hole, it was a
> [...]                    ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Please put in "w" characters where appropriate, or face syncopated
> IP packets with bad attitude...  :^)

and loads of samples of musical recordings from genuine musicians.

> Donal.
> --
> "If something like this happened in the real world, not only would I be under
>  NDA, but I would also be afraid of having my own personal butt involved in
>  the legal equivalent of the massacre of Little Big Horn, with the lawyers
>  starring as the Indians."                  -- Chuck Swiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <hi everybody!>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:12:38 -0400

"Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JS PL wrote:
> >
> > "Rick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > No, the costs of other OS's were artificially high. They M$ started up
> > > the per preocessor licesnses. Vendos would have had to pay for -2- OS
> > > licenses per machine if they bundled anything but M$ OS's

> > > Yeah. Right.

> > > Volume licenses... oh, you mean the ones that state dyou had to pay
for
> > > an M$ OS wether you shipped one or not.. those licenses?

> > > I think you should re-examine your history.
> >
> > YOU YOURSELF ARE CLUELESS about per-processor history! You are the one
who
> > should re-examine history! It has been altered by numerous "I heard"
quoting
> >  of anti-Microsoft fanatics playing the telephone game. Let's get back
> > some actual history shall we?
> >
> > Microsoft began offering per processor licenses at some point in the
late
> > 1980s at the request of OEMs who wanted to simplify the administration
of
> > their per system licenses. (Kempin FTC Testimony (Exh. 9) at 96-97;
Hosogi
> > Dep. (Exh. 8) at 27-28; Lum Dep. (Exh. 6) at 82; Fade Dep. (Exh. 7) at
> > 103-07.) Because OEMs generally change microprocessors much less
frequently
> > than they change other components of their systems, a per processor
license
> > decreased the number of contract amendments that had been necessary
under a
> > per system license due to system changes. (Kempin FTC Testimony (Exh. 9)
at
> > 96-97; Hosogi Dep. (Exh. 8) at 27-28; Fade Dep. (Exh. 7) at 103-06.)
> >
> > Although per processor licenses generally obligated the OEM to pay a
royalty
> > on every machine shipped containing a particular processor, Microsoft
> > negotiated exceptions with at least twenty-seven OEMs to allow those
OEMs to
> > ship up to ten percent of their machines containing particular processor
> > types without paying royalties on those machines. (See Kempin FTC
Testimony
> > (Exh. 9) at 104-05; Lum Dep. (Exh. 6) at 92; Apple Dep. (Exh. 10) at
23-24;
> > Microsoft's Second Response to Department of Justice Civil Investigative
> > Demand No. 10300 (excerpts attached as Exh. 21) at C001309-11.) Other
OEMs
> > with no such exception in their per processor licenses nonetheless
offered
> > non-Microsoft operating systems with their computers during the term of
> > their per processor licenses. (See, e.g., Fade Dep. (Exh. 7) at 111-13;
> > Roberts DOJ Decl. (Exh. 11) at C005864; Lieven Dep. (Exh. 12) at 187.)
> >
> > During Microsoft's 1994 fiscal year - the final year in which it offered
per
> > processor licenses - approximately 59% of MS-DOS units licensed by OEM
> > customers were covered by per processor licenses. In fiscal year 1993,
> > approximately 62% of MS-DOS units licensed by OEM customers were covered
by
> > per processor licenses. The prior year, Microsoft's 1992 fiscal year,
> > approximately 51% of MS-DOS units licensed by OEMs were covered by per
> > processor licenses. Per processor licenses made up 27% in fiscal year
1991,
> > 22% in fiscal year 1990 and smaller percentages in earlier years. 2a
> >
> > DRI similarly attempted to combat piracy by entering into exclusive OEM
> > licenses that required the OEM (unlike in Microsoft's per processor
license)
> > to install and pay a royalty for DR DOS on **each and every computer
shipped
> > by the OEM.**!!!!! (See Vasco Dep. (Exh. 14) at 125; DiCorti 7/30/98
Dep.
> > (Exh. 15) at 165-71.) DRI executives have testified that these licenses
were
> > equivalent to per processor licenses. (DiCorti 7/30/98 Dep. (Exh. 15) at
> > 357; Gunn Dep. (Exh. 16) at 165.) Numerous examples of these DRI per
> > processor-type licenses are attached as exhibits to this memorandum.
(See
> > License Agreement with ABC Computer Co. Ltd. (Exh. 26) at C0309430;
> > [REDACTED] ; License Agreement with Olidata SpA (Exh. 28) at A0228806;
> > License Agreement with Athena Informatica (Exh. 29) at A0654065.) In
> > addition to combating piracy, DRI had another business reason for
offering
> > its version of the per processor license: giving the OEM customer what
it
> > wanted. (Gunn Dep. (Exh. 16) at 166.) DRI pricing policies authorized
price
> > discounts for OEMs that elected to bundle DR DOS with every hardware
unit
> > shipped. (See DRI's Price List, Pricing Memoranda, and Pricing Policies
> > (Exh. 30) at PC9653-54.)
>
> Can you please tell me why Vobis was, wssentially forced into per
> processor licensing, and why per processor licensing landed M$ in
> trouble with the DOJ if it was so benign and so requested by vendors?

I don't know anything about Vobis, but the claim flies in the face the facts
so is most likely false. It (ppla) didn't land Microsoft in trouble.  The
DOJ, after wasting 12,000  man hours crawling up Microsofts ass looking for
ANYTHING, found absolutely no prosecutable offences. And thus had to stand
before a judge and declare "We have found no prosecutable offences" but have
reached an agreement with MS volunteering to cease and descist on a couple
issues. MS was being extremely generous agreeing to ANYTHING because the DOJ
didn't have a leg to stand on.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:13:35 -0400

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >>I suppose, in the same sense that rohypnol is a "good thing" for
> >>straight
> >> guys trying to pick up women in bars.
> >
> > IMO you conceded defeat by saying something as stupid as this.
>
> So you're saying that because he's gay, he't turn other people gay, but
> you would never do something similar because you're not.

Men constantly try to convince unwilling women to "give them a chance"

What makes you think gay men are any different towards an
unwilling object of affection?

> You are a plain stupid bigot.
>
> -Ed
>
> --
> You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.
>
> u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why can't the Browser be the GUI for Linux PC?
Date: 26 Apr 2001 20:12:07 +0800

    At150bogomips> I don't know.  VCs (virtual consoles not venture
    At150bogomips> capitalists) are kind of nice too and they don't
    At150bogomips> require the same level of hardware that a GUI
    At150bogomips> requires.  (For ASCII, VGA displays usually provide
    At150bogomips> a fair number of buffer pages (quick console
    At150bogomips> display change), the hardware rendering of the
    At150bogomips> simplistic fonts also helps.)  One can actually
    At150bogomips> multitask on a 386 Linux box!

Does the exclamation mark "!" indicate that that was news to you?

Well...  Even without VC's,  you can  multitask on  Linux with  a 386.
Simply learn  to suspend  a program  with Ctrl-Z and  bring it  to the
background with the  shell command "bg".  Learn also  the "fg" command
and "jobs" command.  Learning to put  an ampersand "&" at the end of a
command to start the job in background provides more convenience.

I used to multitasking computers that way on Linux and on console-mode
SUN workstations.   That's a simple skill and  knowledge which doesn't
require a Ph.D.  as prerequisite.  And the assumption  that you NEED a
GUI to multitask is simply ungrounded.

    At150bogomips> (Perhaps when GTK+ for the frame buffer matures,
    At150bogomips> one could drop the overhead of X and the window
    At150bogomips> managers for machines between Terminal and
    At150bogomips> Workstation.  But evil Moore's Law makes such
    At150bogomips> relatively pointless :)

Why drop X?  What's wrong with it?

--
Lee Sau Dan                     §õ¦u´°(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)
.----------------------------------------------------------------------------.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Kulkis, er, Microsoft
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:19:21 -0400

Nick Maclaren wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> |>
> |> TCP/IP takes line of configuration,
> |> and 2 commands to get up and running
>
> For those of us who are less familiar with such arcane incantations
> than you are, please could you post your magically concise single
> line of configuration and two commands?

in /etc/hosts
numeric.ip.address.here  hostname  [alias1 ...]

ifconfig eth0 up address  numeric.ip.of.thishost
route add default  numeric.ip.of.gateway

Hope that helps.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:20:51 -0400

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> Note this is in relation to the two paragraphs above.

> >> You're the one who said it. I have no idea what you mean. I was
> >> wondering
> >
> > I didn't say anything about southwestern suburbs of London
> > (or even Earl's Court and Paddington, for that matter).
>                             ^^^^^^^^^^^
> Not a south westers suburb.

I know.  More NE-central, as I recall

> I was refering to Kingston Upon Thames.

> Refering to round where I live. You then made a comment relating to this:

> The `Which is why' phrase presumably refering to the comment I made. I
> simply don't understand the comment you made. Care to explain?
>
> -Ed
>
> --
> You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.
>
> u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles
Subject: Re: Importance, or lack, of Marketshare?
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:22:19 -0400

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> Craig Kelley wrote:
>
> > mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >> The Microsoft zealots always quote marketshare at some point, have
> >> you noticed?  I started thinking about that, why is it important? Is
> >> it important?
> >>
> >> I think "why" marketshare is somewhat important, is because you need
> >> a community of users and developers to create the various
> >> software. The days where one could write all that they need are long
> >> gone.
> >>
> >> The real issue is how big does that market need to be? How many
> >> active users/developers does it take before a system is self
> >> sustaining? Also, does open source make this number larger or
> >> smaller than the equivalent closed source?
> >
> > Just like a nuclear reaction; you need to achive critical.  It doesn't
> > take much really -- I'd put all the BSD varients in that category.
> >
> > What's *really* cool is the number of universities that are using
> > Linux as a tool for education.  Each of the students in those classes
> > will now know the intricacies of the kernel and other open source
> > software packages when they graduate (is there a college campus that
> > *doesn't* use Linux?).
> >
> > Microsoft withdrew their "Academic Cooperative" from our school last
> > year; they used to "donate" a few million dollars worth of software
> > every year (probably for some tax write-off).  Since then, the number
> > of Linux boxes on campus has gone up by at least a factor of 10.  It
> > was the dumbest thing they ever did...  now we have soaring energy
> > costs and we're asking how to cut down the budget...  :-)
> >
> My university I went to ran Digital UNIX w/ Samba hich served quite a few
> computers.  During a tutorial in our first year, we were asked to name
> OS's, most people said, "Windows 3.11, DOS, Windows 98/95/NT/2000" and the
> lecturer responded, "all of you guys would be great as sales reps for
> Microsoft, but could someone name a REAL OS", 4 people including me named
> them, IRIX, Solaris, VMS, OpenVMS, QNX, DigitalUNIX, HP-UX etc. etc. hence
> the jouney into the unknown land of UNIX began.  By the end of the course,
> people were so thoroughly disgusted with Windows, I, along with 3 others

The true value of an education.

Mafia$oft's greatest assets are ignorance and stupidity.

> were asked for guidence on how to install Linux, on several occasions I
> installed Linux on the people's computer and gave basic linux tutorials.
>
> Matthew Gardiner
>
> --
> Disclaimer:
>
> I am the resident BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell)
>
> If you don't like it, you can go [# rm -rf /home/luser] yourself
>
> Running SuSE Linux 7.1
>
> The best of German engineering, now in software form

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:23:10 -0400

Mart van de Wege wrote:

> In article <3ae319f9$0$2317$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jon Johansan"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > We regularly achieve 5 9s using Compaq servers running Advanced Server -
> > we are just careful to use WHQL certified drivers for all our hardware.
> >

> Tell me Jon,
>
> How do you achieve 5 9s *regularly* with server software that has been
> out for just over a year? Remember that 5 9s reliability is a statistical
> measure, and your sample is too small to be trustworthy.
> Once again, someone who knows virtually nothing about advanced server
> concepts can beat you on simple logic. You're not very smart are you? One
> good crash and your much-touted W2k servers are down to 4 9s *at best*.

"It worked in the lab"
-- famous last words...

> Mart
>
> --