From: "Relax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
Date: 7 Nov 2000 11:19:06 -0600

"Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3zWN5.124505$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Relax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:3a080572$0$36976$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> > > Or you need to use the "bigfile" patch. You seem to enjoy selective
> > > reading.
> >
> > Oh yes, and what are you going to do, recompile Oracle to use the new
API?

> Oracle? You can't use Oracle on Linux. It's not open source. How can they
> check out the code for bugs and security holes?

Sorry, I forgot :)

So you apply some patch to your filesystem driver (scary), then rewrite all
of your apps to use 64-bit file offsets (bug prone), then you spend a few
years testing, and the limit is gone! Not very appealing to me but... at
least you can do it, and it is "free", right?

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 17:21:17 GMT

"Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I would shut up now if I were you Aaron, you are just showing your
>ignorance. If you right click on a file there is a bold "OPEN" option which
>launches the default application, there is also a non-bold OPEN option that
>lets you select any executable on my machine as the application to use to
>open the file.

That's funny.  I just treid this, and you are WRONG.  I either get a
bold "Open" or a bold "Open with..." depending on whether the file
type has a default application.

------------------------------

From: "Relax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 7 Nov 2000 11:25:07 -0600

"Roberto Teixeira" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>     CM> Is ReiserFS released yet?
>
>     CM> Has it been thoroughly tested? IIRC, it's still an outsider
>     CM> and hasn't been fully included in the major distributions
>     CM> (although SuSE has it? I remember hearing one of them did
>     CM> now).
>
> Conectiva Linux has it.
>
>     CM> Has it been thoroughly tested in an enterprise environment or
>     CM> a high-traffic database environment (where +2GB files would be
>     CM> most important)?
>
> It has been used in many enterprise environments around here with
> mixed results. In some environments it has been a huge success while
> proving to be unstable in others.

NTFS has yet to be proven unstable anywhere. Just a little difference, of
course, but one that matters. That said, it is interesting to discover that
a very important, if not crucial, piece of code like an enterprise-class
filesystem can be "proven unstable" despite the fact it's open-sourced thus
scrutinized by thousands of talented and dedicated people for bugs and
security holes, with "0-day patches" (tm) and the like :)

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 03:25:11 +1000

"chrisv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I would shut up now if I were you Aaron, you are just showing your
> >ignorance. If you right click on a file there is a bold "OPEN" option
which
> >launches the default application, there is also a non-bold OPEN option
that
> >lets you select any executable on my machine as the application to use to
> >open the file.
>
> That's funny.  I just treid this, and you are WRONG.  I either get a
> bold "Open" or a bold "Open with..." depending on whether the file
> type has a default application.

It varies slightly between different versions of Windows.  Try
shit-rightclicking and you should get an "Open With" option that lets you
choose whatever you want.

Or you can add actions to the right click menu for any given filetype.

------------------------------

From: John Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 7 Nov 2000 17:38:41 GMT

Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

: It varies slightly between different versions of Windows.  Try
: shit-rightclicking and you should get an "Open With" option that lets you
: choose whatever you want.

What a crappy interface!

John

Subject: Re: so REALLY, what's the matter with Microsoft?
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 07 Nov 2000 10:25:00 -0700

"Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Bruce Schuck wrote:
> > >
> > > "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:8u85t4$13d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > This isn't 100% clear, but Mark Lucovsky said
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/news/fromms/kanoarchitect.asp:
> > >
> > > We certainly achieved extensibility and portability," Lucovsky says. "We
> > > tested ourselves by not doing the x86 version first. We did the RISC
> > > (Reduced Instruction Set Computing) stuff first
> >
> > That was the first development of NT, that was a long time ago, and yes
> > I have read Inside NT, by custer. I still have a copy somewhere.
>
> So, apart form your own biases, what reasons do you have to believe
> the portability of NT, which was sustained until NT4, service pack
> 2, have changed for Win2k, given that Win2k had an ALpha port until
> about Beta 3 ?

I don't know about Mark, but how about the glaringly obvious:  NT 2000
is only available for one architecture.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Relax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 7 Nov 2000 11:27:05 -0600

"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Relax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Great. Anyway, fork() immediately followed by an exec() in the child
branch
> > is not a very efficient way to start a new process, because the
duplicated
> > address space will be thrown away almost instantly.
>
> With copy-on-write, there is no difference.

It takes time to needlessly duplicate the page table and fix the page
registers just to wipe them out right away in exec().

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 03:54:33 +1000

"John Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8u9en1$oop$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> : It varies slightly between different versions of Windows.  Try
> : shit-rightclicking and you should get an "Open With" option that lets
you
> : choose whatever you want.
>
> What a crappy interface!

In what respect ?

------------------------------

From: "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 03:59:00 +1000

"Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

"We

> > > That was the first development of NT, that was a long time ago, and
yes
> > > I have read Inside NT, by custer. I still have a copy somewhere.
> >
> > So, apart form your own biases, what reasons do you have to believe
> > the portability of NT, which was sustained until NT4, service pack
> > 2, have changed for Win2k, given that Win2k had an ALpha port until
> > about Beta 3 ?
>
> I don't know about Mark, but how about the glaringly obvious:  NT 2000
> is only available for one architecture.

And was available for two (x86+ alpha) until beta 3.
And was available for at least four, with partial ports to at least 2 others
in the ~8 years before that.
And was designed from the start to be portable, to the expense of nearly
everything else.

I'll ask again, do you have anything reason, apart from your own biases, to
believe otherwise ?  Bearing in mind that NT has to _sell_.  What other
commercial OSes are on several platforms ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jake Taense)
Subject: Re: Lets try serious advocacy/discussion.
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 18:10:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Applications developers have to know some real hard facts:
>
>The Windows market is glutted with applications and products, almost
>every application has a suite of competition. SWB (Shrink Wrapped Boxes)
>are expensive to get into stores.
>
>Linux, on the other hand, offers a fresh environment with less
>competition. Users are open to alternative distribution schemes.

Yes - but tell me - who will buy the software? What good is a clear market
when the consumers expect the products to be free?

Ask Corel how well sales are going. Not well. Nor is it going well for any
other linux software producer you'd care to name, other than the distributions
themselves.

>It should be cheaper (and easier) to develop applications for Linux
>because the tools are free, and you can look at the source.

Oh, great - so the choice is: develop at low cost for a net loss, or develop
at a higher cost for potential profits. Gee... let me see...

>Look at Netscape. Almost universally used on Linux, granted some small
>percent of the people that use Linux use something like Lynx, but most
>people use Netscape. Netscape has a near monopoly of Linux browser
>market.

And what has that gained them? The fact is that Netscape is mostly disliked
by linux users thanks to its stability issues. They have a monopoly because
they are pretty much the only full-featured, complete browser on the market.
The product isn't good - but it's the only choice for users who want things
like java, javascript, etc..

>The same thing could happen for a $79.00 digital camera, or an
>$89.00 parport scanner. While these products would have heavy
>competition in the Windows market with shrinking margins, the OEM could
>charge a few bucks more and support Linux. We Linux users would be very
>receptive to something that supports linux "out of the box" and would
>pay a few bucks more for that option, on top of that, since GIMP is
>free, there is no need to license a graphic program.

Hardware is a different issue, granted. But any manufacturer in their right
mind will tie their development to Windows first, linux second - since the
market is so much larger, even if it IS competitive.

>The OEM gets a good deal, higher margins, a new market, a more computer
>literate userbase, etc.
>The Linux user gets a good deal, stuff that works out of the box.

Maybe if every bit of software included with their products is statically
compiled. Otherwise they are in support hell.

Driver and software development for an additional OS is not free. Somebody has
to pay for it. So the choice for the OEM's is - pay for a Windows license, or
pay higher prices for hardware that has linux software support.

Even assuming the OEM's were to get cheaper stuff thanks to not having to
purchase licenses, the only way that translates to higher margins is if they
sell the bundles at the same price they would have for a windows equivalent.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 13:07:21 -0500

Christopher Smith wrote:

> "John Jensen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8u9en1$oop$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > : It varies slightly between different versions of Windows.  Try
> > : shit-rightclicking and you should get an "Open With" option that lets
> you
> > : choose whatever you want.
> >
> > What a crappy interface!
>
> In what respect ?

So much for Microshit claims of "intuitive interface"

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 13:08:08 -0500

"Colin R. Day" wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> > > Only one default program, but one can add other actions. For example, if
> > > I right-click a *.tex file, I can apply emacs (the default), tex, or latex.
> >
> > Yes...in LINUX you can do that.
> >
> > I was talking about Microshaft LoseDOS...
>
> And so was I.  Got to View -> Options -> File Types and then click
> on the file type (if already there) to edit or add a new file type. Add the
> action.

I thought Microshit LoseDOS was supposed to be intuitive.

> Colin Day

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 20:09:17 +0200

> Toon Afish wrote:
> >
> > I guess you don't really know the Windows system well at all, do you?
You
> > seem to believe that remote admin of NT and/or 2000 boxes isn't
possible?

> 1.  You can only perform a limited set of administration tasks remotely on
> Microshaft Neutered Technology and Microshaft 2000 boxes.

In what way is it limited? Let's hear you say it.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 20:12:16 +0200

"Christopher Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8u9ft0$i0g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> And was available for two (x86+ alpha) until beta 3.
> And was available for at least four, with partial ports to at least 2
others
> in the ~8 years before that.
> And was designed from the start to be portable, to the expense of nearly
> everything else.
>
> I'll ask again, do you have anything reason, apart from your own biases,
> believe otherwise ?  Bearing in mind that NT has to _sell_.  What other
> commercial OSes are on several platforms ?

Solaris, isn't it?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM to BUY MICROSOFT!!!!
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 13:09:35 -0500

Bruce Schuck wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Bruce Schuck wrote:
> > >
> > > "Weevil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:Q_IM5.12930$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> probably
> > > the
> still

> > > security

> > > should
> > > would
> > >
> > > No. What they are saying is that free software (Linux) hide issues from
> > > their users all the time.
> > >
> > > Anyone who reads the security advisories knows that Linux distros are
> > > unsecure and open by default.
> >
> > Oh, really?
> >
> > Actually, AT INSTALLATION you are forced to pick between
> >
> > "unsecure"
> > "moderately secure"
> > and
> > "paranoid"
>
> Very droll. Not true of course. But very amusing.

I'm sick of your lies.

Come back when you're ready to deal with reality.

> > > They are the favorite hacking ground of script
> > > kiddies and hackers.
> >
> > Really.  Then how come all of the problems keep showing up on NT
> > machines, not *nix machines?
>
> Aaron, we know you sleep beside your machine and ignore the many security
> advisories for Unix -- especially the buffer overflow ones you claimed were
> removed from Unix in 1988.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 13:13:52 -0500

Relax wrote:

> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Relax" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > Great. Anyway, fork() immediately followed by an exec() in the child
> branch
> > > is not a very efficient way to start a new process, because the
> duplicated
> > > address space will be thrown away almost instantly.
> >
> > With copy-on-write, there is no difference.
>
> It takes time to needlessly duplicate the page table and fix the page
> registers just to wipe them out right away in exec().

Not with copy-on-write.

besides,  nobody with a clue has written fork() .... exec() since
like 1980, when vfork() was introduced.

vfork is specifically optimized for an impending exec() call, and
has been in the library since 1982.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Chad Meyers: Blatent liar
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 10:24:09 -0800

> Bruce Schuck wrote:
> >
> > "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > is

> > > Oh, so you admit your were wrong.   Just to remind you, here is what
you

> > I concede. I was bouncing around all the Linux security lists and saw so
> > many.
> >
> > But you must admit, 10 in 30 days extrapolates to 120 a year. I admit
that

> As if these problems are discovered at a constant rate.
>
> Hint fucking hint: they aren't.

You are right. Sometimes you get two on the same day, like 6-Oct-2000 when
you got:

http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2000-080-01.html

http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2000-077-03.html

------------------------------

From: "Sam Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 18:28:05 -0000

> > > Really?
> > >
> > > You click on a file, and ONE particular application automatically
> > > starts, based on the file TYPE.
> > >
> > > You do not have an option of say, associating 3 different apps with
> > > a particular file type.
> >
> > You have two ways to associate apps with files in Windows. The first
happens
> > when you install an application. For example, WinZip will associate
itself
> > with (amongst others) .zip files. Now whenever you come across a zip
file

> DESTROYING any previous association for .zip files.

NO. As I said, lower down in my post, I see BOTH SETS of menu items in the
CM. The default application _is_ changed, but can be changed back (or to any
other app) with a quick trip to the Tools menu.

> > you can right click on the file and be given the option to extract the
> > archive to the folder it is currently in, extract it to an arbitrary
> > location on convert it to an EXE file.
> >
> > If I then install WinRar, its menu items will also appear in the CM.
These
                                                  ^^^^
> > items are determined by the applications you install (or by yourself if
you
> > are prepared to do a little exploration).
> >
> > The other way is to right-click a file and from the CM select the Open
With
> > submenu. This provides a list of all the programs that you have added to
> > this menu. For example, for me the Open With menu contains Notepad,
Wordpad,