From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I regretfully conclude that Linux is a piece of CRAP.
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 04:26:45 -0500

Brian Rourke wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 02:37:13 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Brian Rourke wrote:

> >> Yes, and how comforting for you to know that anyone who doesn't belong
> >> to your little cult is some brainwashed Windows lackey.  Do you know
> >> who really is responsible for Linux's problems and Microsoft's
> >> industry dominance??  It's the Bavarian Illuminati.  No, it's the
> >> Pope.  No wait....it's.....the Elders of Zion........it's
> >> International Communism...zzzzzzzz
> >
> >No...merely the habitual, pathalogical CRIMINAL BEHAVIOR of Bill Gates
> >and the rest of Mafia$oft Corporation.
> >
> >This is the LEGAL finding of NUMEROUS FEDERAL JUDGES on MULTIPLE OCCASIONS.
> >

> I am aware of that, you twit, and it's also completely irrelevant to
> the point at issue, which is not whether or not Gates and Miserycraft
> are criminals but whether it's justified to dismiss my criticism as
> Microsoft boilerplate.  I may be ignorant, even annoyingly so, but I'm
> no flack for those bastards.
>
> [A small point, but I was under the impression that the antitrust case
> had to do with other issues primarily, such as the bundling of the IE
> browser with Win95/98, rather than with Microsoft's efforts to harm
> Linux.  Could you provide some references to where and when Linux
> specifically  became a material issue in the case?  I must have missed
> some of that, and I'd be very interested in reading up on it.]

It's all part of the same goddamned pattern of behavior.

Besides, that is only ONE of the NUMEROUS cases which have appeared
before the federal bench.

The Antitrust case only brought out a couple of complainants.

In reality, it was the consolidation of over TWENTY different
States' Attornies Generals' offices prosecutions which were
brought together into one prosecution.

However....if the appeals court decides to gut Jackson's ruling,
be prepared to see Microsoft go on trial for NUMEROUS other complaints
in over a dozen states for those cases which weren't even alluded
to in Jackson's courtroom.

Oh..and also, if Jackson's punishment doesn't hold, Microsoft will
be bled dry by the European courts.

COUNT ON IT.

They will be fined so heavily that it might be cheaper for them to
just pack up and LEAVE Europe forever, at the risk of having any
and all assets in Europe seized if they ever try to resume business
there again.

As I said...COUNT ON IT.

Microsoft is a CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION.

Microsoft's VERY FIRST product was produced by a criminal act
(copyright infringement of DEC's BASIC interpreter for the PDP-11..
at the time, DEC was unaware, so it went unprosecuted.)

> It's obvious from my postings that I have no love for Microsoft.  That
> doesn't mean I don't think some of the alternatives can't be doing a
> much better job in certain areas.
>
> Like it or not, Linux or other OS's can only gain market penetration,
> as I see it,  if their software is easier to use and if users become
> more educated.  I think the former can be accomplished without dumbing
> down, but that will require some creativity and lots of good, solid,
> thorough technical writing.  I think if experiences such as mine, and
> the frustrations to which they lead and I tried to express, shouldn't
> just be laughed off from a know-it-all/holier-than-thou position or
> dismissed as propaganda.
>
> I don't work in the industry, so in the long run it won't matter to me
> at all if I can't run Linux.  I'll endure headaches with Windows and

I'll endure being beaten of the head with 2x4 every once in a while,
maybe even miss out on a few family gatherings....

> maybe miss out on some very good software.  I'll have forgotten about
> all this trivial hassle in no time.  But can those who do have an
> interest in Linux's success just be content to market to a tiny
> minority, to make fun of non-experts, to churn out lame documentation,
> to provide crappy technical support and to mislead potential
> customers/users?  Maybe they can, and then good luck to them.
>
> My advice to you is that you spend some time brushing up on your
> reading comprehension skills before you fly off the handle.
>
> Brian
>
> The late spring sunshine flooded,
> like a bursted tepid star,
> the pink Boulevard.  The people
> beneath crawled like wounded insects
> of cloth.
>
> Wyndham Lewis

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Navy carrier to adopt Win2k infrastructure
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 01:27:05 -0800

Interconnect wrote:

> GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > <Great big Snip>
> > To the point now:
> >
> > I'm sorry, but my past experience with all of microsoft products since
> > the original IBM PC to current was always full of disappoints.  It was
> > always "Almost could get it done but its always something else getting
> > in the way preventing me from getting my work done" experience.  Win3.1,
> > Win95, Win95b, Win98, & Win98SE ... the hype I hear from moving up from
> > one version to another has always been the same "You'll work smarter,
> > faster and better".  Sorry, its the other way around "New bugs, gawd,
> > again!".
> > I make one claim on the surface... I have no personal experience with
> > any win NT products and from what I've seen so far I have grave doubts
> > to anybodies claims about the new MS products.  I did not move up to win
> > ME. I now realize this would by throwing good money away (I would be
> > better off buying a box of good cigars.)
>
> I have just started doing some work with NT. Thus far I have yet to be
> impressed. I'm not really chuffed about Visual Studio either.  Terminal
> Services Client runs like treacle. Not to mention pop up, after pop up after
> pop up to get the most mundane thing done. *sigh*
>
> P.S I run both Win98 and RH Linux7.0 at home. Why the Win98 machine -->
> Games :=)

Yup! Games, but I can't really slander ninetendo and call it wintendo.
:-)
We'll have to come up with a better moniker.

From: Brian Rourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 02:42:39 -0700

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:27:22 -0800, Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Brian Rourke wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 18:55:29 -0800, Tim Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Brian Rourke wrote:
>> >>
>> ><snip argument>

>> ><etc....snip>
>> >
>> >Maybe not forever, but for now we have an uphill struggle to overcome
>> >them.  We have to write drivers ourselves, reverse engineer everything
>> >which means chasing taillights, hardware manufacturers who have been
>> >paid or intimidated into ignoring us, hostile (paid) public officials,
>> >all the badges of monopoly maintenence.  Especially with lots of
>> >businesses sick of Microsoft and with support of many of the bigger
>> >players like IBM, this swamp might drain after all.
>> >
>> ><more screaming match snipped>
>> >

>> Well, I hope the swamp does drain and that some alternatives to
>> Microsoft do surface.
>>
>> I think that in the long run the chances will be better for Linux and
>> other alternatives if the companies trying to market distributions
>> were honest with people about as many of the headaches they may
>> encounter as possible.  Sure it might hurt sales in the short run, but
>> in the long run irritated newbies will do more damage.  I would love
>> to be told up front how much work and learning will be required, and
>> then I'm happy to do it.  I remember back in the early days of the PC,
>> when software and operating systems came with relatively thorough
>> manuals.  Now it's mostly slick, mindless crap.  Even some good books
>> have trouble dealing with specific problems or
>
>One problem is that it's such a diverse marketplace; "Linux" now
>consists of literally thousands of companies, plus a bunch of
>non-profits.  Are you attempting to blame Linux for what, for example,
>Mandrake does?  The fact is that as with any broad based commercial
>initiative some aspects of it will be better than others. We will have
>our kernel team, and we will have snake oil, like Linuxcad and
>LinuxOne.

No, I'm not trying to blame all of Linux for what Mandrake does.  Nor
am I saying that all of Linux should have to conform to some
dumbed-down standard.  The people who built it should be able to have
versions that work the way that they want.  My beef is primarily with
the distributions that I have dealt with and with what I take to be a
sloppy, snobbish or cavalier attitude towards informing potential new
users.  Maybe I'm wrong, but to me there's no substitute for good,
thorough documentation, product testing and full disclosure.  The web
is OK as a tool, but if people are going to pay money for disks and a
manual then they should get good ones.  OR, the box should come with a
big red label saying: "before buying, read the following books, do
this, do that."

I probably wasn't clear enough in making these distinctions, though I
tried to be.  Comes from not knowing all the lingo.

I also think there's a certain degree of crazy hype that forms around
these distributions, one after the other.  I must guard against this
better.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New worm infests Linux machines/Exposes root backdoor
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 04:33:48 -0500

GreyCloud wrote:

> Chad Myers wrote:
> >
> > "Ed Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >     Of course two years ago it was the best thing ever written but
> > >     that was long enough ago that M$ wants it replaced now so
> > >     sock-puppets like Chad are now claiming that it really was as
> > >     bad as the Linux/Unix people were saying back then.
> >
> > Save us your bullshit. I have always maintained that the Win9x line
> > has always sucked. It was good for end users and home users and such,
> > but not in a business environment. Now, it shouldn't be around at all.
> >
> > >     NT 4 is next.  Exactly the same pattern.
> >
> > Nah, NT is based on a good design, unlike Win9x. Win2K is better in
> > many respects than NT, so NT isn't all that great, but the security
> > model, the SMP, the threading, they're all still really great and
> > still beat anything Linux has in every category.
> >
> > -c
> Unfortunately, when Dave Cutler from DEC designed NT and used the
> hardwares' ring levels to isolate potentially bad programs from the
> kernel, MS went and put the video portion back in ring 0 with the
> kernel... Dave didn't like that decision.  So if NT crashes then the
> only real place to look for the culprit is the video driver.  Dave also
> designed the VMS o/s and that architecture used 6 ring levels.  However,
> when one upgraded to a newer version of VMS you have to pay attention to
> the hardware ECOs, or you'll get burned.
> In daves art sites in england on the web, he has painted a rather
> interesting picture of the BSOD.  I wonder what he really was thinking
> ....???

 URL?

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Linux office, a possible future..... (OT?)
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 04:35:33 -0500

Nick Condon wrote:

> Taavi Hein wrote:
>
> >: >Internet/Java/C/C++?
> >: >> All strong Unix catageories.
> >: >And as strong on Windows.
> >: Sure they are. Have you ever even heard of Java?
> >
> >I haven't followed the conversation, but this part aroused some
> >suspicion in me... What's wrong with the windoze side of
> >internet/java/c(++)? (especially the java bit)
>
> Java main strength is it's a multiplatform language.
>
> Why do you need that on the client, when nearly every desktop runs windows,
> (esp. the coporates)? It has, however, proved very popular on the server.
> --
> Nick

Because Windows is a flaky piece of shit.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 10:29:20 +0200

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> ISP
>> >
>> >Oh I see - so your ISP decides for you that you cannot receive certain
> file
>> >types. You mean, they just decided that you will no longer receive a
>> >VBScript file. What if you write VBscripts for work?
>>
>> Send them in the text of the message, or send them in a zip, or
>> whatever. Now, seriously, you write VBscripts for a living, and send
>> them as
> executable
>> attachments? How dumb should that VBscript writer be?
>
> Scripting.
> It's sometimes much easier to just write a script and send it than
> explain how to do it manually.

Yeah, but not as an attachment. Zip it before, if you want.
Not that I would be affected, my newsreader /email-reader is not
affected (using linux), but so I also donīt have any need of that damned
script. But this whole part of MS, to execute directly from email, should
be prosecuted. Those guys should be whipped (not under 100 ),
afterwards a little tarring and feathering would be in order.

Peter

--
A blue screen is nothing to worry about,
just press [CTRL]+[ALT]+[DEL] and format c:

------------------------------

From: Brian Rourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 02:47:35 -0700

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:47:51 -0800, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Brian Rourke wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 06:54:52 GMT, Brent R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> *snip*
>>

>> >OK, arrgh... if you really want Linux, forget the instructions and put
>> >the Mandrake install CD in the drive, reboot your computer, go into bios
>> >and make sure that your CDROM is the first boot device. Upon exiting
>> >BIOS the install program should load automatically when it "boots" your
>> >CD. Just please make sure and backup anything important in Windows(!!!),
>> >and remember to defrag first. I think that inside the installer is a
>> >repartitioner step. Just remember to NOT mount your Windows partition as
>> >'/' (!!!) and either make a boot disk inside the program or use the one
>> >that came with the distro, and use that. You will not be able to use
>> >LILO and for now you'll have to boot Linux from a floppy.
>> >
>> >Depending on how deep you go into it, a work around may become apparent.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.  This looks like another thing that might work,
>> especially if all else fails.  I'm going to give a good look to all of
>> these other recommended distributions first.
>>
>> Thanks a lot for all of your time and effort.  I appreciate it.
>>

>Sorry to come in this late, but from reading your posts you said it was
>RH7.0.
>That particular distro has problems.  All you have to do to verify this
>is go to a linux ng.  Most of the problem is in the area of the XFree
>3.x.x and the buggy 4.0.0.  It installs the 3.x.x.  If it works fine.
>But I'd take back the RH one.  I never buy into any version of anything
>that says n.0.

Good point about version n.0, and thanks for the warning about RH 4.0.
I was prepared for this, and can return it.  Fool me once, shame on
you, fool me twice, shame on me...  After my Mandrake experience, I
trust no one.

>This is an aside only... for $950 you can get a Sun Blade. Its a 64-bit
>sparc IIe. 128Mb ram 15 GB hd. capable of 2GB ram.  solaris 8.  The
>installed docs are really good. I printed all of my admin docs out and
>I've got 7 volumes of docs on this part alone.  I won't even attempt to
>print the rest out.  The docs occupy 1 CD and its crammed full.
>In mid term this year Gnome 2.0 will be made available for the Sun.
>This of course is pre-installed just like the gateway is. Also has
>stereo sound output, but you have to go get your own speakers.  DVD is
>extra in this.. but can you imagine the price if this was a 64-bit
>intel?  I'm retired so I can't afford one right now... maybe in a year.
>The down side is that you have read the admin docs and best to buy a
>book on it.  But it is very powerful.  The modem hook-up is not to my
>liking... but that may have changed.

This is very interesting information, and worth thinking about down
the road.  That's a very reasonable price.

Best regards,

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, was Why open source software is better
Date: 26 Mar 2001 09:41:07 GMT

Jay Maynard wrote:

>On 23 Mar 2001 14:59:13 GMT, Nick Condon
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Copyright in the United States is supposed to exist for the sake of
>>users; benefits for publishers and even for authors are not given for
>>the sake of those parties, but only as an inducement to change their
>>behavior. As the Supreme Court said in Fox Film Corp. v. Doyal: "The
>>sole interest of the United States and the primary object in conferring
>>the [copyright] monopoly lie in the general benefits derived by the
>>public from the labors of authors.
>>That doesn't sound like property to me.
>
>It passes the duck test (if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a
>duck, it's a duck): it can be bought and sold like property, and is
>considered an asset with a monetary value like property, so it's
>property. I'll guarantee you that any attempt to revoke or significantly
>limit the term or scope of copyrights in the US would be fought in court
>as an unconstitutional taking of property by the government withough due
>compensation, and that argument would be quite likely to succeed.
>
>The purpose of creating property does not bear even a little bit on the
>fact that it is property.

Well that tells us that the legislation is flawed. If doesn't achieve it's
purpose it needs to be rethought.
--
Nick

------------------------------

From: Brian Rourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 02:49:42 -0700

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 20:06:46 +1200, Matthew Gardiner
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You're running Mandrake 7, hence, the limitation still applies.
>
>Matthew Gardiner

No, now I'm trying RH 4.0.

From: Brian Rourke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 02:52:59 -0700

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 00:21:33 -0800, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Its a good complaint!  I've harped at Caldera for some time to get their
>act together.
>What they have assumed is that the PC has one partition for the limited
>version of PM to make a hole. This version can't split one partition in
>the middle and you wouldn't want to anyway.  LILO can't go past the 8GB
>limit, unless they have fixed it.  LILO is looking for the start of the
>executive program.

A silly assumption...

>If the machine is brand new PM will write to the partition table where
>the end of the windows partition is and write where the start of the
>linux partition and its ending point.  Another factor, and this one is
>from the industrial area, is that companies like IBM, HP, Gateway, Dell,
>Compaq, etc. that make PCs don't have time to do the standard format and
>the usual user windows installation methods. They use a special machine
>that takes banks of these hard drives and forces a quickie format and
>install.  The partition table is split up and linux fdisk has a hard
>time dealing with it.  The solution is to immediately go to ms fdisk and
>do an fdisk /mbr to force a correct write to the partition table.
>Windows doesn't seem to be bothered by a fractured partition table like
>this. (info from HP)

I repartitioned my hard drive back when all this started in order to
get around the 1024 cluster problem.  So I think I have this solved.
Of course it's another thing people like me don't know and doesn't get
talked about in certain glossy magazines.