From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Spontaneously Crashing Sun Server Coverup
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 23:06:36 -0000

>Yes, a large Sun box crashing is one of those 'man bites dog' stories
>that makes the news.   Unlike that other vendor's product...

There is at least some truth in the sun crashing problem. One of our big
hosting
companies here in england has switched from Sun to Linux due to a mixture of
reliability problems and security problems. I cannot remember the name of
the
company but they were featured in one of our Linux magazines a couple of
months ago so maybe someone else here can remember the exact details.

Subject: Re: so REALLY, what's the matter with Microsoft?
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09 Nov 2000 16:20:14 -0700

Curtis <alliem@kas*spam*net.com> writes:

> . wrote...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Curtis <alliem@kas*spam*net.com> wrote:
> > > Chad Myers wrote...

> > > Take a look at :
> >
> > > http://www.win2000mag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=7598&Key=Forecast
> >
> > > [...]VenturCom offers three products that provide and take advantage of a
> > > realtime environment in NT, and the company recently released Win32rt, a
> > > common realtime API for NT and Windows CE.[....]
> >
> > Now actually use them.  Go ahead, check out the granularity of stat
> > reporting with XRNOR on a fission core.
> >
> > And then wonder for about 3 seconds why no nuclear facility in the world
> > uses the NT version.
>
> You're changing the goal posts. The original claim was that WinNT cannot
> run real time applications. This is simply false.

I've never seen a real-time version of NT.

Where is it?  (just curious)

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Subject: Re: Aaron R. Kulkis - Who is this guy?
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09 Nov 2000 16:21:53 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jake Taense) writes:

> I can't believe how many posts he's responsible for...
>
> If you're reading this, Aaron - please answer:
>
> You claim to be a UNIX Systems Engineer.
>
> Is that an Engineer in the same way as an MCSE is an Engineer (i.e. not an
> Engineer at all)?
>
> If it is vendor-based, what certification do you possess to qualify as an
> "Engineer"?

Just killfile him.  Everyone else has.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 23:31:37 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chad Myers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 07 Nov 2000 04:20:57 GMT
<JqLN5.7472$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, gm
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>  wrote
>> on Sat, 04 Nov 2000 13:10:13 GMT
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>> >What does that have to do with your silly notion that an email from
>> >one's supervisor having anything to do with an OS liability?

>> >The permissions work. In what SPECIFIC way do you think it's a "toy" ?
>> >

>> I'm curious as well.
>>
>> I do know that NTFS journals metadata, but not data, which means a
>> rogue process that screws up things totally could in principle leave
>> the disk in a nice valid state, but the data could be total crap.
>
>How could a "rogue process" tamper with the journal? IIUC, only the
>fs driver has access to the MFT and journal?

Think system crash. :-)  Otherwise known as the dreaded Blue
Screen Of Death.

>I'm sure you could get creative and find a way, but it's not standard,
>and if someone went to that much trouble, they could destroy just about
>any FS they laid their hands upon, so this is really irrelevant.
>
>> This is in contrast to reiserfs, as I understand it, which journals both.
>
>JOOC, is that out yet?

Unknown.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 23:33:10 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 07 Nov 2000 08:02:47 -0500
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

[snip NTFS/metajournaling post]

>> I don't know for certain if MS is advertising this as a journaling
>> filesystem, but again the devil's shown up in the details.
>
>Leave to microsoft to screw up a foolproof idea.

Microsoft does seem to like to do things in a bit of a hurry... :-/

[.sigsnip]

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.linux.sucks
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 18:47:08 -0500

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft;
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft;
>
>> >LiteStep (open source, free)    (www.litestep.com)
>> >WindowBlinds (Close source, free but slightly limited version, cost money
>> >for the full version) {Recommended} (www.stardock.com)
>> >That was the one I was thinking about, totally new interfaces and quite
>> >stable.
>> >You might want to check into DesktopX as well.
>>
>> I'll be satisfied with checking into the correction of illegal activity,
>> and then letting the free market sort out the wheat from the chaff, once
>> competitive development makes any such alternatives worth looking in to.
>
>Why are you mixing things that shouldn't have been mixed.
>I shown you that win2k can be skinned, now you suddenly bring up the trial,
>how does this has to do with that?

You are supposedly providing evidence of a free market in Windows
software.  Until Microsoft's illegal activity is mitigated, I see no
real reason to believe that there is a free market in Windows software,
whether that is replacement, modification, or extension of
functionality, or "skins", as you naively put it.  The fact of the
matter is that trying to replace or extensively modify the Windows
desktop is a self-defeating proposition, in terms of the majority of
users.  It simply isn't worth the trouble, given the penchant that
Microsofties have for blaming all of Windows' problems on third parties,
as a convenience to the monopoly.

If you are willing to say that any problems I might have using
WindowBlinds may be *Microsoft's* fault, then it might be conceivable to
suggest that WindowBlinds be used.  But considering that monopolies
result in crap software, there is simply too much risk, and not anywhere
near enough benefit, in bothering with any such stuff.  Market reality
supports this position; you can hardly expect this small handful of
moderately functional desktop software which is putatively available to
compare to the large number of complete desktops, GUIs, and window
managers available on alternative systems.  Windows is used on many many
many more systems, yet the market demand for modified desktops seems
rather anemic, at best.

Now, one could suppose that this is because actually trying to use a
modified desktop on Windows is not feasible.  Or, one could assume that
it must be because Windows is just so damn good that not very many
people are interested in using a modified desktop.  I do respect your
opinion, Ayende, but it seems that the latter is more probably your
position.  The situation reminds me somewhat of a common joke in the
electronics shops I used to work in in the Navy, where we would amuse
ourselves by saying that light-bulbs work by sucking the darkness out of
the air.  Once the bulb was filled to capacity, it had to be replaced.
A scenario that might not seem entirely counter-intuitive, but is
nonetheless entirely incorrect.

======USENET VIRUS=======COPY THE URL BELOW TO YOUR SIG==============

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!

http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.linux.sucks
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 18:47:11 -0500

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft;
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> >As a bonus, it makes this action the default for non-associated files...
>> >which means double clicking on ANY unregistered file type will open it in
>> >notepad instead of bringing up that damned 'which application' box.
>>
>> And perhaps that's not at all what I wanted to do?  This isn't a bonus,
>> BTW: it is the only thing your technique does.  Unfortunately, it
>> doesn't do what I am describing at all.
>
>You want to add Notepad option for all file types, right?

No, I wanted to be able to open any file with Notepad, at my option.

>You did what he explained and what did you got?

I got what he explained, which isn't really what I wanted, as I've
explained.

>BTW, unknown file types can be set to have an Open With.. as default instead
>of notepad, if this is what you like.

No, this is not at all what I like.  In fact, I'm quite averse to it.
If there is one obvious example of how crappy Microsoft is, it is the
Open With... feature.  Not to mention, files without extensions (what
you call 'unknown file types') cannot be set up to launch Notepad, or
anything else by default, so the word "instead" is quite inappropriate
in your statement.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.linux.sucks
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 18:47:13 -0500

Said . in alt.destroy.microsoft;
>> Not by a long shot.  If I wanted the notepad to be the default for every
>> unknown file type (except files with no extension, which still can't
>> have an association), I'd have simply set it.  I would agree it is
>> easier to use this technique if this is the result you want to
>> accomplish.  But it doesn't do anything at all for me, because it
>> doesn't make opening a file with something *other* than the default file
>> type any easier.
>
>I'm a little confused...  if you set up similar keys to the notepad one
>for other applications, you get a nice little right-click menu with all
>the apps on it, regardless of the extension.  In my example Notepad by
>itself becomes the default for unregistered types, but it still exists
>for registered types.  I have both Notepad and Multi-edit in my right-
>click menu, with ME as the default rather than notepad.
>
>And my solution DEFINITELY uses notepad (or ME) for files with no
>extension.

I did spend quite a bit of time trying to find or figure out how to get
Windows to do anything with files which do not have an extension, and I
thought for sure that the reg entry you posted worked differently than
you describe.

Regardless, I prefer my technique, as it gives most of the benefits you
describe, is more easily configured, and doesn't clutter up the top
level context menu, which is already too crowded for my tastes.

>But perhaps I'm misunderstanding your issue... can you give me an example
>of what you mean?

No, you understood the issue, I believe.  It just didn't work, I'm quite
sure, when I first tried it years ago.  Perhaps Win98 changed the
behavior; I've just checked, and NT 4 works as you described.

>> BTW, the pause, load, and swapswapswap doesn't get any better using the
>> association method above than it is using Send To.
>
>In my experience, we have these situations:
>
>1) right click
>2) swap
>3) show menu
>4) click notepad
>

>1) right click
>2) swap
>3) show menu
>4) select send to
>5) swap (at this point it re-checks the sendto directory)
>6) click notepad
>
>Perhaps step 5 has been improved upon since I originally started doing
>this... I can't say because I almost never use sendto these days.

While for my part, I was unaware that the reg entry approach was not as
broken as I thought, since I've been using SendTo for years.

>> >As a bonus, it makes this action the default for non-associated files...
>> >which means double clicking on ANY unregistered file type will open it in
>> >notepad instead of bringing up that damned 'which application' box.
>>
>> And perhaps that's not at all what I wanted to do?  This isn't a bonus,
>> BTW: it is the only thing your technique does.  Unfortunately, it
>> doesn't do what I am describing at all.
>
>Like I said, I may have misunderstood your requirements...  I did explain
>the behaviours to be sure you understood what my solution does in case it
>didn't suit.

That's cool.  Thanks anyway.  I already knew what your solution does,
except for the fact it works on files without extensions.  I was being a
trifle contrary, I'll admit.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.linux.sucks
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 18:47:16 -0500

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft;

>B> I think you are mistaking me for some sort of winadvocate Aaron.

I'm sorry, Ayende, but if you come to alt.destroy.microsoft (even
through cross-posting, I'm afraid) and start talking about how "W2K
works for me," you *are* a Winvocate.  As I've said before, you seem to
be a pretty reasonable person, and I don't want to insult you, but if it
walks like a duck...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 9 Nov 2000 23:47:54 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Curtis <alliem@kas*spam*net.com> wrote:
> . wrote...
>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Curtis <alliem@kas*spam*net.com> wrote:
>> > Chad Myers wrote...

>> > Take a look at :
>>
>> > http://www.win2000mag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=7598&Key=Forecast
>>
>> > [...]VenturCom offers three products that provide and take advantage of a
>> > realtime environment in NT, and the company recently released Win32rt, a
>> > common realtime API for NT and Windows CE.[....]
>>
>> Now actually use them.  Go ahead, check out the granularity of stat
>> reporting with XRNOR on a fission core.
>>
>> And then wonder for about 3 seconds why no nuclear facility in the world
>> uses the NT version.

> You're changing the goal posts. The original claim was that WinNT cannot
> run real time applications. This is simply false.

Alright, I conceed.  But this is true:

NT cannot run realtime applications in realtime.

:)

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Into the abyss of the WinTroll mind
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 23:35:12 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The funny thing is, all I could hear was Bill Gates' voice while I was
> reading it.

That's just sick.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: The laptop with Linux lasted exactly one week.......
Date: 9 Nov 2000 23:50:59 GMT

Clifford W. Racz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Read: linux isnt for morons.
>>
>> > Just because everyone around here thinks they are a Linux expert,
>>
>> I'm certianly no expert, but im not irretrievably stupid either.
>>

> Just because we don't have all the free time in the world to figure out how
> to make it go doesn't make us morons.

You're right, and if that were true, it wouldnt be what makes you morons.

The fact is, it doesnt take all the free time in the world, it doesnt take
alot of time at all.  Its something else entirely that makes you morons.

> But, then again.  Windows may equal
> lazy, time contrained or security hole,  but not necessarily idiotic or
> moronic.

Yes, it is.

=====.

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 18:58:52 -0500

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> > > I thought Microshit LoseDOS was supposed to be intuitive.
> > >

> > And how would you do this?
>
> simple.  I wouldn't.

And what about those who want to? Besides, your moving the goalposts.
First you said that it couldn't be done in Windows, and now you say that
it can't be done intuitively.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 00:27:53 +0100

In article <47qO5.124885$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:n86du8.b6b.ln@gd2zzx...
>> In article <8ud0k7$mi4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >

> http://uptime.netcraft.com/graph?display=uptime&site=www.bbc.co.uk&find_site
>> > =GO
>> >
>> > BBC.co.uk being the X most views site in the world?
>>
>> I remember when first using netcraft to see what the bbc used
>> and it was Microsoft. Now it is Sun Solaris. Why did they change? :-)
>
> The love the excitement from spontaneously crashing Sun boxes.

Funny. I've worked with Sun boxes for over 10 years and, surprise,
they don't spontaneously crash. In fact our servers need to be
available 24x7 and that is why we use Sun clusters. We use Sun's
for all our companies Internet services. Now the Intranet servers,
PC's running you know what, crash all the time.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 00:33:36 +0100

In article <r_zO5.124941$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:iLyO5.15187$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:8txO5.938$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >

>> > Um... perhaps you should do your research a little bit before
>> > claiming any victory.
>> >
>> > It's very well known (especially since the story of their
>> > Sun boxes spontaneously crashing made most of the major press)
>> > that ebay runs their backend database servers on Sun boxes.
>> >
>> > These are the boxes that puked regularly.
>>
>> Yes, a large Sun box crashing is one of those 'man bites dog' stories
>> that makes the news.
>
> Lately it's been man bites thousands of dogs because of sunspots and a lousy
> design.

Your ignorance is becoming tiresome. Bad design of what? The h/w? Sun's
enterprise systems are rock solid. Solaris? It may not have all the
frills that come with Linux (although they are seeing the light) but
Solaris is as solid and secure (if you know what you are doing) as
you can get. Sun expects the administrators of their enterprise
systems to know what they are doing. For their cluster solutions you
must take a course on administering them. Properly installed and
administered Sun enterprise systems are excellent and their cluster
solutions give you 24x7 uptime of vital services.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 00:56:19 +0100

        "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I studied Computer Systems Engineering at Purdue University, approximately
> 60 credit hours of Computer and Electrical Engineering, and another
> 20 credit hours of Computer Science.

Well this settles it. He is a plumber. No wonder he can't follow
simple usenet netiquette. He's an embarassment that just won't go
away.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 00:42:19 +0100

In article <pRpO5.124876$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The disadvantage of spontaneously crashing Sun boxes is the lack of
> foreknowledge.

You keep stating this. The url given earlier said it affected less
than 1% of the systems with the dodgy dram. Thats better than any
Microsoft figures for high end servers I'm sure. I've used Sun
systems for over 10 years and never had this spontaneous crashing
you keep referring to.

PLONK

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 19:02:02 -0500

Christopher Smith wrote:

> "Sam Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > On *nix systems, virii are inhibited because a user is running in his /
> > > her own space, so that downloaded files are isolated, even if run.
> > > These programs are never given access to any executable on which the
> > > machine depends.  On *nix systems, "virus" is something of an
> > > anachronism.
> >
> > As it should be. Fortunately, exactly the same thing happens when running
> > Windows 2000 (and possibly NT4 if you're using NTFS).
>
> Certainly NT4 (and every other version of NT).

And is Microsoft pushing this for home users?

Colin Day