Linux-Advocacy Digest #246, Volume #30           Wed, 15 Nov 00 03:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: Of course, there is a down side... ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Journaling FS Question (Was: Re: Of course, there is a down side...) ("Les
Mikesell")
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! ("Chad Myers")
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! ("Chad Myers")
  Re: Most important computer program in the history of humanity (Gardiner Family)
  Re: OT: Could someone explain C++ phobia in Linux? ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Same old Linux..Nothing new here... ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Of course, there is a down side... ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: I WANT WIN2k drivers! (Milton)
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: NT/2000 true multiuser? ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: NT/2000 true multiuser? ("Erik Funkenbusch")

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 03:13:59 GMT

"Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Myers wrote:
>

> > I didn't say it wasn't impossible, but it was a fundamental shift. I
remember
> > reading a few of the ACL projects' to-do list and it was almost completely
> > dedicated to "fixing this application", "getting this application up to
speed",
> > "fixing this service", etc.
> >
> > It's a fundamental design principle in Linux and most Unixes that they use
> > the permission bits scheme and there's a long road ahead to get everything
> > switched over.
> >

> I have never used any version of Unix without ACLs and I have been using Unix
of
> one form or another for a decade.   And why do apps have to change?

Do you use Linux?

If yes, then you've used a "version" of Unix which doesn't have ACLs.

HP-UX? HP-UX doesn't have ACLs without special add-ons. Even if it
does have ACLs (new improvement?) it isn't up to snuff because it
isn't even considered for audit by the TSEC.

Solaris? Nope.

BSD? Nope.

What versions have you used that DO have ACLs?

Better yet, have you ever SEEN a unix (other than Tru64) that has
a complete DAC implementation?

Doubt it.

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Journaling FS Question (Was: Re: Of course, there is a down side...)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 06:53:29 GMT

"Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:bL5Q5.126444$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > You are extremely gullible if you take that statement as saying that the
> > data is considered part of the transaction.   I always assume the worst
> > out of habit when I see any such omission of details in a warm-fuzzy
> > description, especially from a certain large company, but I see someone
> > else posted the link to the admission that it doesn't.
>
> From: http://www.executive.com/whats-new/whitepaper.asp#_Toc463769977
> NTFS is a recoverable file system. This means that operations in NTFS are
> transactions, as in a database. Either the entire operation completes or
the
> operating system has the capability to roll back the unfinished portion,
> safeguarding the integrity of the existing data. NTFS also stores
redundant
> copies of critical file system structures in the unlikely event that
> physical damage makes one copy of them inaccessible.
>
> Or: http://www.digit-life.com/articles/ntfs/index.html
>
> Journalising

Why post the link if you didn't read it?  This one says specifically that
the journaling only protects the filesystem (i.e. metadata) and NOT
your data.   Of course they also say it rarely needs to run chkdsk
which in not what I see when a busy machine crashes.   The journaling
makes sure that the metadata is always in a sane state so chkdsk
can fix the rest of the stuff so there are the same number of bytes in
the files as is removed from the disk free space (and there are no
guarantees about the contents of those bytes).  If it really did journal
data it would probably run a lot slower and you would never need
to run chkdsk at all.

Also, for whoever was trying to say the the MFT could deal with millions
of files, this article says 12% of the disk is the limit.

> NTFS is a fail-safe system which can correct itself at practically any
real
> failure. Any modern file system is based on such concept as transaction -
> the action made wholly and correct or not made at all. NTFS just doesn't
> have intermediate (erratic or incorrect) conditions - the data variation
> quantum cannot be divided on before failure or after it bringing breakups
> and muddle - it is either accomplished or cancelled.

It is talking only about the filesystem structure here.  For example you
might
have many processes creating and deleting files at once with multiple
operations incomplete when you crash and no journal checkpoints,
chkdsk would not be able to tell which clusters belong to which
file.

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:02:33 GMT

"Alan Boyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Bruce Schuck wrote:
> >
> > There were two buffer overflow security bulletins in 2000 for all products
> > in Windows.
>
> Try eleven, reported on SecurityFocus in 2000:
>
> Windows NT 4.0 Terminal Server RegAPI.DLL Buffer Overflow

Windows.

> Microsoft IIS 4.0 ISAPI Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

This is IIS, an add-on service, not Windows. Are Apache exploits considered
Linux exploits? Sendmail? BIND?

> Microsoft Network Monitor Multiple Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities

This is in network monitor, a seperate product (SMS), not Windows.

> Microsoft Outlook / Outlook Express GMT Field Buffer Overflow
> Vulnerability

This is Outlook/OE, not Windows

> Microsoft Windows 9x File Handle Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

Windows.

> Windows NT 4.0 / 2000 cmd.exe Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

Windows.

> MS Frontpage Image Mapper Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

FrontPage, not Windows.

> MS IIS FrontPage 98 Extensions Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

This is IIS, not Windows. Are Apache exploits considered
Linux exploits?

> Microsoft IIS 4.0 Chunked Transfer Encoding Buffer Overflow
> Vulnerability

This is IIS, not Windows. Are Apache exploits considered
Linux exploits?

> Microsoft Clip Art Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

This is Office, not Windows.

> Microsoft CIS IMAP Buffer Overflow Vulnerability

This is CIS, not Windows.

So far, you have 3, which is exactly 1 more than what Bruce
had claimed. Big deal.

Shall we being comparing all of the add-on and 3rd party
products when talking about Red Hat exploits or Linux as a
whole? Surely you don't want that...

-Chad

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 04:04:46 GMT

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:22:14 -0800, Bruce Schuck wrote:
>
> >Help.
> >
> >Go to the command line and type help.
>
> I get "bad command or filename" when I type help.

What OS? Either you're lying, or you misspelled help.

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

D:\>help

For more information on a specific command, type HELP command-name.
ASSOC    Displays or modifies file extension associations
AT       Schedules commands and programs to run on a computer.
ATTRIB   Displays or changes file attributes.
BREAK    Sets or clears extended CTRL+C checking.

(and so forth for about 20-30 more lines)

> >Which is more intuitive? Man? or Help?
>
> man is more intuitive because it works.

What is a new user (someone likely to need help)
going to type first? Help or man?

Help, of course. It's common sense, something that
seems to be consistently forgotten in Linux.

Hey... look at that, something that Linux is finally
consistent at!

-Chad

------------------------------

From: Gardiner Family <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.ms.windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Most important computer program in the history of humanity
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 20:10:35 +1300

The reason why is because everyone has been waiting so bloody long for a decent
OS that it has become and "important" piece of software.  However,  I stopped
waiting for Winblows 2000 and moved to Linux

matt

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: Could someone explain C++ phobia in Linux?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:26:09 GMT

"Russ Lyttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> mlw wrote:
> >
> > I use Linux all the time, I think it is a great system. I maintain a
> > Windows box, but it is never used except as a TV or for Lego Mindstorms
> > for my son. At work, I am fortunate in that I can use Linux.
> >
> > The one problem I have with many of Open Source people is this sort of
> > emotional dislike for C++.
> >
> > I use C++ all the time, I can't even understand why someone would start
> > a non-trivial project using C. C++ is a superset of C. Most C code will
> > compile fine with C++, the exceptions being borderline constructs which
> > are probably bad form anyway.
> >
> > This is not a troll! I am being serious and sincere. I am a software
> > engineer / architect professionally, and I have had to argue this point
> > many times with some of guys we hire. It is my role to make sure the
> > right decisions are made.
> >
> > Under what circumstances is "C" a better choice than "C++?"
> > (excluding backward compatibility in an existing product)
> >
> > --
> > http://www.mohawksoft.com
>
> Easy. It isn't an emotional dislike. C++ just isn't suitable for the
> job. C++ is slower than C by an order of magnitude (almost as slow as
> Java).

Huh? What compiler are you using, anyway?
Granted, compilation time can be a bit longer, but, I've never experienced
slower execution times. With today's optimizing compilers, that's a
non-sequiter. If I ever come across C++ program that runs as slow as
byte-compiled Java, my first opinion would be that the programmer
responsible needs to invest in a good profiler and re-think his algorhythms.

> It is difficult to manage any sizable project in C++. Multiple
> inheritance and friend functions are just two reasons. C++ is almost
> impossible to maintain. C++ has all the weakness of C and none of its
> advantages. I can think of any number of alternatives to both C and C++.
> But C does have the history behind it.

It's difficult to manage a sizable project written in any language. The key
is consistent structure. Though, I prefer C out of familiarity, I can see
C++'s strengths. Especially where cross platform development is concerned.
Placing platform specific code into class wrappers with consistent
interfaces is an undeniable plus in its' favor.

--
Tom Wilson
Registered Linux User #194021

They're operating systems...Not religions
GET A LIFE!

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Same old Linux..Nothing new here...
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:26:11 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:52:34 +0000, "Scaramanga"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Can't get a mousewheel to work?
> >
> >Well I'd rather have that than a whole OS that is quite clearly faulty.
>
> It's amazing what lack of ergonomics and ease of use you Linvocates
> are willing to put up with to run Linux.
>
> >Also, what do you expect to achieve by constatntly slating linux? You
surely
> >know that it is a work in progress.
>
> It shows.
>
> >If you *really* dont like something, either download the source code and
help
> >out with fixing it, even submitting a bug report will help. Stop
bothering the
> >people in this newsgroup with it. We clearly don't care.
>
> Yawn...
>
> I don't feel like writing my own operating system today.
> Maybe tomorrow.
>

> >We are far more concerned with advocating linux to people who need it,
> >bringing free software in to vital roles, and to poor/developing
countries,
> >and schools. Not to idiots who are just looking for fuel for flaimbait.
>
> You certainly seem interested.
>
> Why don't go and help that poor chap in the setup group who can't get
> his mouse working instead of "advocating" Linux. While you're at it
> you can help the guy who can't get his modem to work, scanner, CDRW,
> printer and so forth. Hardware that worked just fine under Windows.
>
> claire

Why, exactly, do you post here?

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:29:22 GMT

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:yfbQ5.990$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> And even then, does the entire OS function with discretionary access
control
> in mind, or just the file system? In order for a OS to be truly
DAC-minded,
> everything must be controllable with DAC. For instance, the registry,
> local system policies, group policies, network and internet access
policies,
> and much more are controllable through the same DAC framework that exists
> in the filesystem.
>
> To summarize, is it or will it be pervasive?
>
> -Chad

Unix-like systems access nearly everything through names in the file
system and the associated access control, so a change there should cover it
all.

From: Milton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: I WANT WIN2k drivers!
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 02:33:39 -0500

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:51:04 +1000, "steve erntner"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>how hard is it to get drivers for aztech sound cards???

In Linux, it's relatively simple.
http://lhd.zdnet.com/db/searchproduct.cgi?_catid=12

>all i want are win2k drivers for em...but do they exist? nooooooooooooooooo
>im about to break down and cry

Don't use second-rate OS's and you won't be easily disappointed.
  Milton B. Hewitt
  CAUCE Member - http://www.cauce.org
  Proud supporter of the Microsoft Boycott Campaign
  http://www.vcnet.com/bms/

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:37:21 GMT

"Curtis" <alliem@kas*spam*net.com> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > People working in DOS before windows came around
> > really had no trouble with the concept of files and opening them
> > with applications at all.  Now they have no idea where things
> > go when they save them and can't even figure out how to put a
> > copy on a floppy.
>
> That's because like UNIX, you'll never get around DOS without learning
> any ground rules first and how to move around.

Which turns out not to be a problem at all, except for the people
who have the concept hidden from them.

> However, my DAD was burning CD's, sampling music from Vinyl's, removing
> pop's and clicks etc. He installed all the software to do this and yet he
> couldn't navigate his file system. It was pretty amazing actually. This
> is why the novice loves Windows so much. They really don't have to learn
> anything to start being productive. For some like my Dad and my sister,
> they don't have to learn Windows at all to do what they use their
> computers for.

I don't understand at all what that has to do with hiding the place the
files really are stored from them.  I did some help-desk and training back
in the dos days and it just wasn't a problem for people to understand
saving files to a name rather than a picture, and they could look at
the path name and know what it meant.   When GUI operations came
around, it did help with wordprocessing and graphics, but it was at
a cost in managing the underlying data.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NT/2000 true multiuser?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:40:43 GMT

"The Great Suprendo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> A certain Aaron R. Kulkis, of comp.os.linux.advocacy "fame", writes :
> >> Yes, it can do that with Windows 2000 Server. The client can be
Win98SE,
> >> Windows 3.1 (!), MS-DOS, Linux, or any other OS supported by the Citrix
> >> client.
> >
> >Windows is STILL playing catchup.
> >
> >X-windows was been ported to a MUCH wider variety of platforms
> >in the early 1990'.s
>
> What freely redistributable versions are available for those platforms ?
> The Citrix client is free on all of the platforms I listed.

The X source is available for anyone who wants to port it.
How much does the Citrix server cost?

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Uptime -- where is NT?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 01:44:54 -0600

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > It appears that MS isn't so eager to have users measure
> > uptime of their stuff, isn't it?
>
> It's in the resource kit, I believe.
>
> Anyway, it's a child's play to write something that would measure uptime.
> GetTickCount() is the easiest way to do so.
> I can send you a file that does that.

Actually, GetTickCount() is not the correct way to do it.  GetTickCount()
cycles back to 0 after 49.7 days because it's only a 32 bit value holding
milliseconds since boot.

uptime.exe works by looking in the event log for the last time the log was
started and calculating from the current time.  Which means you need only
set your clock ahead by 3 years to get a 3 year uptime ;)

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 01:48:21 -0600

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > If that's what he meant then he is wrong on all 4 counts.  I think he
meant
> > that these OS's weren't listed at the URL cited by Bob in the first
article in
> > this thread.
>
> If that was what he meant, then I admit I misunderstood his post.
>
> In the context, it did sound as if he was claiming all four OS's didn't
> report an uptime...

No.  I stated that those OS's don't report uptime via the network.  They
certainly do report uptime locally on the system they're on.  Netcraft has a
list of sites that do not provide uptime at:

http://uptime.netcraft.com/hammer/accuracy.html#whichos

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:48:41 GMT

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> CPU?  For an I/O problem?
>
> Still, lessee: 5 mailing lists, 800 people on the list, no
> cross-linking, 50 messages per day, 10K per message
> = 2 GB per day, or 231 Kb/second.
> Not even enough to overflow a good ISDN line and Bruce thinks it'll
> overflow sendmail?  It might overflow spool space, but that's all.

Maybe this was years ago when disks were a lot slower, but
still, that had to be one sorry machine if it couldn't write to
a local disk that fast.

> Color me confused.  I will admit Exchange tries to do it better,
> though -- mostly because it doesn't save a duplicate of the message
> into each user's mailbox.  However, I do understand that another poster
> suggested that sendmail can stuff the mail directly onto the user's
> home directory; that would work very well in this case.

This really isn't even sendmail's problem.  It hands off to a local
delivery program, and it can do so with a protocol called ltmp
that can pass all the addresses along with a single copy of the
message.  Some systems use a local storage that allows a single
shared copy for multiple addresses (Cyrus IMAP is one, I think,
and it can be done in maildir format with links).

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 01:55:05 -0600

"Phil 'Guido' Cava" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Mr. Funkytush,
>
> Once again you reveal your utter lack of knowledge of computing with you
> comments wrt OS/390. Stated quite simply: Nothing is more reliable than
OS/390.

I was merely extending the reasoning of Mr. Troughton who claimed that if an
OS can't reliably report it's uptime, you should be leery of it.  I didn't
say I agreed with that statement, I was merely showing him how his statement
was flawed.

> The fact that any unsigned value in a computer wraps back to zero
eventually is
> just a matter of how many bits wide the value is, not some indication of
> whether or not it should be trusted. The width chosen however (as in the
case
> of NT) may well give one an idea of how long its creators thought would be
> _long_ time for that system to be up.

Tell that to Mr. Troughton.

BTW, the reason that NT4 wraps earlier is not because it uses a smaller
value, but becuase the timer resolution of the uptime is smaller.  1000ths
of seconds versus 100ths of seconds.

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:54:47 GMT

"Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:ESnQ5.126786$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Try it in Win2k. Not Linux. I think Irix supports help though.
>
> In Win2K I type help and get:
>
> For more information on a specific command, type HELP command-name.
> ASSOC    Displays or modifies file extension associations

[small list deleted]

How does that help if you wanted to know about netsh?  Or the other
thousands of things you might be able to do in win2k?

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 01:59:48 -0600

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:BfGP5.19697$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:lRBP5.7789$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > deal

> > > happens?
> > >
> > > On all my machines if the remote has permission to open a window back
> > > on the display that is the parent of the telnet session, it will do it
> > > automatically.  Isn't that the way things are supposed to work?
> >
> > Really?  Now how do you do that without an X server?
> >
> > Multiuser has nothing to do with what the client is running.  For
instance,
> > what if I telnet to a Unix server from a Mac or Windows box without an X
> > server?  Does that make Unix no longer multi-user because the client
can't
> > support a remote GUI?
>
> Look, you ignorant clod....
>
> Whether a machine is runing a GUI or not has NOTHING to do with
> being multi-user.

Why is it that you never actually READ my messages before responding to
them?

I was in fact saying that it doesn't matter.  My point was that having your
GUI be remotable is not a requirement for being multiuser, otherwise
telneting in from an OS that doesn't support a gui would alter the multiuser
capaibilities of the system.  Clearly it doesn't.

> PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF BILL GATES' ASS!

Learn to read.  You're arguing against me when we're saying the same thing.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 02:03:34 -0600

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message
> >Two or more simultaneous users,, each with their own PRIVATE data space,
> >both in memory, and on disk, each user having their own UNIQUE user
> >id, which is persistent from login to login.
>
> C:\WinNT\Profiles\user_name\Desktop
>
> Unless Win2k moved it, it's probably in the same
> place as it was on Win NT 4.  And it is persistent, as well.

Actually, Win2k did move it.  It's now under \Documents and
Settings\user_name\Desktop

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 02:07:01 -0600

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:iZnQ5.20551$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Microsofts WTS uses a protocol called RDP, while Citrix Metaframe uses
> ICA.
> > Citrix clients understand both RDP and ICA.
>
> Is there some trick to it?  I had a win2k server configured for
> administration
> via TS and couldn't get a Citrix client on Linux to connect.

Hmm... this might be because you need to have the RDP client installed
before the ICA client so that the ICA client can use the RDP protocol.  This
might preclude using RDP under Linux since there is no RDP client for Linux.

I've used the Citrix client under Win9x, but had the WTS client also
installed.

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:06:55 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > I've forgotten the details I found at the time, but I thought it was
more
> > like that would be the theoretically maximum number for the largest
> > drive NTFS could handle, but what it actually did was
> > allocate some arbitrary maximum size that the MFT should be
> > when you formatted (probably as the ratio of your disk size to the
> > theoretical max size...), and when it grew to this size you were
> > fried.
>

> You can change MFT size quite easily.
> Of course, you need to know how, but isn't it true everywhere?

No, that isn't the kind of thing you should have to know,
it should be in a quick reference program that matches
the version of format you are running.

But, if you have source code you don't have to worry about what
someone else allows you to know.