  Re: It's even worse than I thought. ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Uptime -- where is NT?
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:46:45 -0500

Giuliano Colla wrote:

> "." wrote:
> >
> > > Unix had a 10 ms counter, and they judged that a range of
> > > over one year and a half was enough, so they didn't bother.
> > > MS roughly 30 years later had a 1 ms counter and didn't
> > > bother either. Judging apparently that a range of one month
> > > and a half was enough.
> >
> > You are, of course, making the assumption that MS did this deliberately.
> > For all we know it could have been any kind of cockup... the same kind of
> > cockup that produced 95 in the first place?
>
> I have the bad habit of crediting MS people of some thinking
> capabilities. Usually further evidence proves me wrong.
> However I can't help trying to work out the rationale of how a thing is
> done, because, except for MS case (which luckily for me is just an
> annoying side issue), it helps a lot to figure out how it works, and
> either exploit it at best, or fix it.

The best way to fix an MS problem is to install Linux.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:48:31 -0500

Stuart Fox wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >

> > Translation:  Microsoft is incapable of writing an accurate "uptime"
> > program for LoseDOS Neutered Technology.
> >
> > Why is that?
> >
> Notice that the uptime is gained from network information, not by an
> uptime program.  If you want an accurate uptime program for NT (I know
> you won't, but for the sake of correcting you, bear with me), there's
> one available at the Microsoft download site

That must be one of those "intuitive" built-in features that
Microsoft keeps yammering about...

Strange definition of "built-in" if you ask me....

> http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload.  (Hint - search on "uptime")
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:51:50 -0500

"R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" wrote:

> [...]
> > best webserver of all in a recent issue.
>
> First of all, uptime is something that is only available on UNIX and
> Linux systems.  There is no equivalent command/server on NT.
>
> Second,  Best practices on NT is that you reboot the machine at least
> once a week.  All uptime measurements for NT are based on unscheduled
> down-time with the weekly reboots excluded from those numbers.
>
> Third, downtime with NT varies based on configuration, number of
> applications being run, and number of concurrent processes running.
> A Simple web server running only static pages, connected to a separate
> database engine running only SQL Server will be more reliable than a
> single server that runs both the web server and the SQL server on a
> single machine.
>
> Windows 2000 has the potential to be more reliable, but getting this
> reliability requires that all applications be rewritten to the Microsoft
> "middleware du jur" (MTS, COM+, MSMQ, XML+} which is subject to change
> without notice and most likely to damage any profitable vendor (which
> becomes a new Microsoft target market).
>
> ZDNet has an entirely different set of evaluation criteria which has
> nothing to do with reliability, support, or even peer-to-peer
> performance.  Instead, this author has based his evaluation on a set of
> criteria which pits an optimally tuned Windows 2000 system against a
> "default installation" (known to be less than optimal) of Apache on
> Linux or UNIX.  Given that the defaults used include things like reverse
> DNS lookup, disable caching of pages (SQID), while the W2K configuration
> includes no DNS lookup, full caching of pages, addresses, and the use of
> ASP routines written in C++ or VB (compared to CGI/PERL).
> In fact, most of these benchmarks don't even exploit mod_perl, which can
> increase performance by an order of magnitude over CGI.
>
> Unfortunately, most authors and publishers have signed nondisclosure
> agreements which prevent any form of disclosure without Microsoft's
> permission.  This includes benchmark results, bug reports, and uptime
> reports.  To get Microsoft's approval, the headline needs to indicate
> that Microsoft is the "winner".  To get past the FTC, the qualifiers
> only need to be included somewhere in the article (usually near the end
> of the article).
>
> When you see glowing reviews or comparisons, don't blame the publisher.
> The FTC has been trying to deal with this issue for years, but hasn't
> been able to build a solid case for fraud.  Still, because the
> qualifiers are provided, the test isn't legally fraudulent.
>
> Essentially, it's like saying you raced a Ford Escort with a
> supercharger and nitrous oxide injection system against a chevy truck
> loaded with 4 tons of paving bricks, and the V8 powered chevy lost.
> The headline reads "Escort beats Blazer in road tests".  The next to
> last paragraph mentions the "funny car" enhancements and the added weight.

I'll have to remember that analogy...

and write it in every time I see a LoseDOS-promoting article
taped to the cubicle wall of the yainta (yet-another-idiot-NT-admin)...

> > --
> > Bob
>
> > Remove "diespammersdie" to reply.
> >

> --
> Rex Ballard - VP I/T Architecture
> Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer
> http://www.open4success.com
> Linux - 60 million satisfied users worldwide
> and growing at over 9%/month! (recalibrated 10/23/00)
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:52:55 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [...]
> > loaded with 4 tons of paving bricks, and the V8 powered chevy lost.
> > The headline reads "Escort beats Blazer in road tests".  The next to
> > last paragraph mentions the "funny car" enhancements and the added
> weight.
> >
> > > --
> > > Bob
> >
> > > Remove "diespammersdie" to reply.
> > >

> > --
> > Rex Ballard - VP I/T Architecture
> > Linux Advocate, Internet Pioneer
> > http://www.open4success.com
> > Linux - 60 million satisfied users worldwide
> > and growing at over 9%/month! (recalibrated 10/23/00)
> >
> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.
> >
> Awesome analogy about the chevy and the ford! and yes, windows does
> suck, i use win2k at college and linux at home. man linux is so much
> better and so POWERFULL coz i have the power 2 change what i want not

Correction:

"What a bunch of programmers in Redmond with less education than
you think you want"

> ReignStorm
> #man why do people divorce
> man: too many arguments
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Bennetts family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Small Distro?
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 13:56:43 +1100

"mitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:41:08 +0000, Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >I've found monkey linux a good option. It's quite an old distro, so it
> >is very small.
> >
> >It comes with  netscape3, X, sendmail, pine, etc on about 5 floppies.
> >
> >http://www.spsselib.hiedu.cz/monkey/docs/english.htm
> >

> Cheers Ed, I`ll check it out.  I take it that I can still upgrade the
> kernel and all the apps in the usual way, despite the distro size?

If it is old, you'll probably need a new C library, and installing that
could get hairy.

--Chris

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft Speaks German!
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:56:45 -0500

Russ Lyttle wrote:

> Bob Hauck wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 12:10:24 -0500, Clifford W. Racz
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >I would rather be of the "far right" rather than the far left (i.e. Commie
> > >or Nazi).
> >
> > I guess you must have slept through your introductory Political Science
> > courses.
> >
> Please explain. My pre-1960 Political Science class ( and late 30s
> references) all place Commies and Nazis on the left. Fascist and
> anarchist on the right.

Your poli-sci class was fucked up.

Nazis ARE Fascists.

Far left-wing governments and Far right-wing governments are virtually
identical, they have merely followed different paths.

Left-wing governments FIRST kill the rich who oppose them before
killing the poor who oppose them.

In contrast, Right-wing governments first kill the poor who oppose
them before killing the rich who oppose them

In a left-wing country, the government owns all business, and soon
it all becomes one big corporation-state entity.

In a right-wing country, the businesses own the government, and soon
it all becomes one big corporation-state entity.

Human rights abuses by both are identical.

> > --
> >  -| Bob Hauck
> >  -| To Whom You Are Speaking
> >  -| http://www.haucks.org/
> --
> Russ Lyttle, PE
> <http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>
> Not Powered by ActiveX

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Subject: The real question about Claire Lynn
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:54:23 -0500
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Well, we all know that she's another typical ignorant female whinger, who for
some reason considers herself a authority on why linux is not up to scratch.

But the real question is, does she have a big set of tits?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:58:20 -0500

Nik Simpson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Nik Simpson wrote:
> > >
> > > "Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> why
> possible)
> > >
> > > Or if we are smart and come from a UNIX background we load things like
> UWIN
> > > and have a complete UNIX command line and ksh to play with.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Nik Simpson
> >
> > It still sucks.
>
> Thankyou for such an incisive and well thought out response, it just what
> we've come to expect from you.

The DOS command line sucks, because it is poorly implemented.

In contrast, the Unix command line interfaces are works of pure genius.

> --
> Nik Simpson

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Bennetts family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX  USED BY THE NEW ZEALAND ARMY FOR ARMED FORCES SIMULATION:
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 14:02:17 +1100

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> And where are they today?
>
> Protecting the sheep in the fields?
>
> Give me a break....

I don't think there are any relevant wars going on right now, although I
think there may be some Kiwis in East Timor.

--Chris
As an Aussie, I'll point out that the security and peacekeeping in East
Timor over the last year or so has been done with very minimal support from
the US or elsewhere.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
Date: 22 Nov 2000 03:01:42 GMT
Subject: Re: Linux Free ISP News

>They have their own dialer software, but claim that you can connect to
>their service using whatever dial-up PPP dialer you have on your machine
>(must support PAP).

I had a look (lovely that you have to sign up *before* they'll indicate wether
they have a dialup in your area-- which they didn't for me).
--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
Colony name not needed in address.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 03:07:21 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Phil 'Guido' Cava
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 20 Nov 2000 02:15:15 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>ONLY 497 days, My what a problem for Sun! Why that's only an order
>of magnitude greater than the max time NT is capable of reporting...
>which, of course, is itself probably an order of magnitude greater
>than NT is capable of achieving...

Oh, I dunno...my NT box at work I can probably count on to stay up
for at least a week.... :-)

>Guido
>
>Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> "sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:8v8v02$hpi$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > Ahhh, I love it! Deffending NT by saying there is something wrong with
>> > it. And I would say, that retruning a random uptime is something wrong.
>>
>> Well, no Linux or Solaris server will *EVER* be #1 in a complete list.  In
>> fact, In about a year, I'd expect no Solaris or Linux servers to be on the
>> top 50 list.  Since these servers also have a similar bug which will prevent
>> them from ever displaying an uptime of larger than 497 days.

Ah, so you're going to wait for The Magical Day(tm), when NT will be
at the top of the list because all Unix and Linux boxes' uptime timers
will have rolled over the 497-day limit?

Not bloody likely.  Besides, the Linux black helicopters couldn't get to
everyone in time, so some of the boxes are out of sync timewise.  :-) :-)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random uptime here

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: It's even worse than I thought.
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 22:07:04 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 01:32:09 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >Excellent post Charlie. Couldn't say it any better. Claire's
> >remarks about her/his trip to CompUSA was interesting. Do you
> >really hear all that just walking around a store? Those were
> >the sort of anecdotes only a person working in the store would
> >get. Yup, Claire must be a sales person in a computer store
> >somewhere. Probably shows a fair amount of cleavage to distract
> >the customer from what they are buying. :-)
>
> Actually yes you do, especially when you are forced to use CompUSA's
> idiotic method of purchasing some items, like the hard drive I was
> buying.
>
> Step one: Go to the counter where the hard drives are displayed in a
> locked cabinet behind the counter.
>
> Step two: Wait for the salesperson, one of two, to finish with the
> other two idiots (2 of the ones I mentioned in the other thread).
>
> Step Three: Tell him what you want and he gets some number from it and
> writes it on a slip of paper he hands you.
>
> Step Four: Go to the cashier in another part of the store and wait in
> line because she is the only one open and there are 4 people in front
> of you.
>
> Step Five: Pay for the item.
>
> Step Six: Go back to the same counter where the hard drives are and
> wait in line again as the two salespersons are now dealing with two
> other clueless people.
>
> Step Seven: When it is finally your turn, hand the person your paid
> receipt and he goes in the back room and gets the product and stamps
> your receipt.
>
> Step Seven: Wait in line yet again as the security guard checks every
> package against your receipt as you leave the store.
>
> Step Eight: Drive home like a maniac and reflect on why you generally
> purchase these items over the net.
>
> Yes Roy, you can pick up quite a bit of information at CompUSA.
>
> claire

And yet, you CHOOSE to buy disk drives at CompUSA...

....and then you claim that LoseDOS is a superior OS...

you have zero credibility.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.