From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:50:03 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Robert Surenko writes:
>> I agree, however, you are using deductive reasoning to gain insight, not
>> the Scientific Method.

> So what?

It's very important when arguing with someone who claims that the
Scientific Method is the only way to "know". Not saying that you
believe this but I answered another.

>> My question to a Materialist is How do we know that a Historical event
>> happen when it's belief could simply be a rush of hormones?

> My question to a spiritualist is "How do we know that a historical event
> happened when it's belief could simply be a miracle?"

Good point

In both cases it's a matter of faith. In either case you could never know.

> --
> John Hasler
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Hasler)
> Dancing Horse Hill
> Elmwood, WI

- Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- http://www.fred.net/surenko/

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:49:59 -0500

chrisv wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Income taxes of ANY sort punish those who WORK, while letting those
> >who live off of Grandpa's trust funds (Kennedys, Rockefellers) without
> >paying a dime.  Replacing Income taxes with Sales taxes reverses
> >this situation.
>
> But then the less you earn, the HIGHER PERCENTAGE of your income goes
> to taxes.

And the less you earn, the HIGHER PERCENTAGE of your income goes to
pay for a pound of ground beef at the grocery store.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:51:06 -0500

Robert Surenko wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In comp.os.linux.misc Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Your missing the point. How do we "know" that a historical event happened?
>
> > We do not miss the point. We know it because we can subject the question
> > to test. There are archives and witnesses and things that have been influenced
> > by the event in such a way as to make them distinct from the way they would
> > have been if the event had not happened. In this case, "the body" is one
> > of those things. While we cannot say for certain that the event did or did
> > not happen (nor tell whether a human being is or is not really a computer
> > with a biological facade), we can become reasonably sure, to most peoples
> > satisfaction, that it did.
>
> > For one thing, I remember it - and/or think I do.
>
> Exactly... One can know something without setting up a repeatable
> experiment.
>
> Much better, now we have 2 ways to "know" something.
>
> 1. The Scientific Method where applicable.
>    This is good for tests that can be expected show reproducable
>    Data. Should not be the only requirement to "knowing".
>
> 2. The Historic Method... records, independent accounts, witnessess etc.

Which is actually a subset of the Scientific Method.

You need to verify that the records, accounts, and witnesses are bona fide.

> How about a 3rd... The Legal Method. The old motive, means and oportunity?
>
> > Peter

> - Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> - http://www.fred.net/surenko/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:54:23 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> I can't say I follow UK politics too well, but I doubt that's the
> >> problem. The problem is that a government typically operates at or
> >> slightly beyond the legal limits of its authority. With no full
> >> equivalent of the US Constitution to restrict its powers, the UK
> >> government can get away with more, and does.
> >
> > True.  And the public demand that Parliament outlaw handguns will, in
> > the final analysis, prove to be the key step which costs British
> > subjects even the appearance of freedom.
>
> No. We live in a democracy and we are free to not have guns if we wish. I

And what about those who...decide they don't like that law.

News reports I've been reading indicate that they have kept their guns,
and are using them MORE often against law-abiding citizens.

> think there is more freedom in restrictive gun laws because it means that
> I am free to live my life without getting shot. I want that freedom.
>
> -Ed
>
> --
>                                                      | u98ejr
>                                                      | @
>              Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,demon.local
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:56:22 -0500

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On 20 Feb 2001 02:35:13 GMT, Joshua Hesse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > In comp.sys.next.advocacy Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >  :On 19 Feb 2001 01:41:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking) wrote:
> >
> >  :> The "information wants to be free" idea comes from the GNU ideology as well as
> >  :> freeware crypto with PGP. PGP is "Pretty Good Privacy", data encryption strong
> >  :> enough that even the most resource posessing rogue government (i.e. the US
> >  :> government) can't crack it.
> >
> >  :Unlike the UK where you get 2 years in jail if you don't provide the most
> >  :fascist government in decades (if ever, and that includes Thatcher)  with
> >  :the key on demand - even if you've no idea what it is, and 5 years in jail
> >  :if you tell anyone about their request for said key.
> >
> >  :So no massively parallel processor needed.
> >
> > So if someone were to anonamously start mailing ROT13 UUENCODED gifs or
> > other random stuff and entitled it 'SECRET ENCRYPTED BUCKINGHAM BOMB PLANS'
> > to random British (l)users, the random British (l)users could get
> > arrested?
>
> Only if they can't produce decryption keys.
>
> There was a suggestion to mail Jack Straw, the Home Secretary responsible
> for the Act, with encrypted files, then anonymously inform the authorities
> that he was in possession of said files. He couldn't produce the keys, so 2
> years in the slammer.
>
> Of course, you can't tell anyone about this or you get 5 years.
>
> > Who's running the place, Hilter?
                             ^^^^^^

Reminds me of the Monty Python skit about Hitler, having immigrated to England,
under the assumed name of Hilter.

> Close.
>
> Peter
> --
>
> In the 19th century surveyors measured the height of Everest
> from 500 miles away in India.
> This cannot be repeated today. Everest is no longer visible from
> the survey location due to increased atmospheric pollution.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft dying, was Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:57:44 -0500

dev null wrote:

> You guys love the chicken-little thing, don't ya? Why do I think so?
> Because you bend over, grunt, and splatter this fetid verbal equivalent of a
> baby's diaper on usenet every couple of months or so. That's why.
>
> Be careful what you wish for. How will you advocate, er, I mean who are you
> going to smear once MS and its 'lusers' are gone?

Whichever asshole comes up next.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Incredible developments in Italy regarding business software
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:59:24 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Adam
> Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > From the truth is stranger than fiction file:
> >
> > http://lwn.net/2001/features/siae.php3
> >
> > Any Italian wanting to distribute software for profit requires an
> > authorising stamp or they could face a huge fine or imprisonment:
> >
> > "Whoever intends to make a profit ...for commercial or business
> > purposes,
> > from the use of ...computer programs contained on a medium not bearing
> > the SIAE stamp, is subject to a penalty of imprisonment from six months
> > up to three years and to a fine from 2500 to 15000 Euros."
> >
> > Since an SIAE stamp is required for the name of the author, publisher,
> > producer or copyright holder a single Linux CD could conceivably require
> > hundreds of stamps.
>
> Thousands. At least.
>
> > Adam
>
> Distribute Linux at a price which does not cause you to make a profit,
> then sell the services. Would that work?

"...from the USE of..." pretty much kills that.

Watch Italy fall into the IT dark ages within 2 years.

> -ed
>
> --
>                                                      | u98ejr
>                                                      | @
>              Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:59:15 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Pete
Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>>Conversely, GM has Unix systems with 150 installed apps...and there's
>>not even the slightest question if adding another one will impact
>>stability.
>>
>>Because in a well-designed system, crashing apps don't harm the OS.
>
> Then why does forking child processes ad infinitum bring Linux to its
> knees (assuming no limits)?

Because you're letting one user have all the resources. Use limits.
That's what they're for. That's like saying: a crashing app can bring any
system down (assuming no memory protection).

> Then why does loading a 130MByte text file into the Advanced Text Editor
>  make Linux go into massive paging?

Does this text editor try to load the entire file at once?

> _Any_ system can be brought down by an application.

Nope.

You answered your own question. If you let a user use all the resources,
then the user can bring the system to its knees because all the resources
are used up. If you impose limits then the user can not take up all the
resources, and can not bring the system to its knees. With proper limits,
a system will not be brought down by an app, whatever it tries to do.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:49:52 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Nigel wrote:
>>

>> > "Well, it doesn't say NOT to use dish-washing-out liquid in
>> > the video!"
>> >

>> Have we got a video.
>
> If one more person asks if we have a video....

Oh? Have we got a Video?

Sorry Aaron, just couldn't resist. We'll call you Vyvian from
now on, OK?

Mart

--
YahDu (Yet another happy Debian user)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: MS seeks Gov't help to stop blacks from using computersRe: Microsoft
Date: 20 Feb 2001 23:02:55 GMT

unicat ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: "After all, if you give software away for free, then even blacks will be
: able to access the internet. And Microsoft certainly wouldn't want
: that to happen..." (is what we know he was thinking)

Come on, don't add racism to the flamefest here. In any case, Linux
technically speaking at least would be a better choice for poor people (of any
colour) becuse it will run on old computers, which can be found at resale
shops dirt cheap or by dumpster diving, or simply buying fenced stolen gear.

The postal service sells off old gear (due to the upgrade-go-round of course)
and it being a black majority workplace, causes black computer access, at
least for some. Once .NET disables all the warez, black postal workers, not
really affluent enough to afford MS, would be best off going with Linux. Maybe
a specialty distro could be made to help ease that transition, maybe calling
it "Blackware", a modified version of Slackware, say by having a working
filesystem all in one giant tarball on a CD, ready to install by untarring
into position with a script.

Before you get racist, maybe you should try working in a black majority
workplace. It's a unique expierence.

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 23:03:19 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Robert Surenko wrote:

>> Exactly... One can know something without setting up a repeatable
>> experiment.
>>
>> Much better, now we have 2 ways to "know" something.
>>
>> 1. The Scientific Method where applicable.
>>    This is good for tests that can be expected show reproducable
>>    Data. Should not be the only requirement to "knowing".
>>
>> 2. The Historic Method... records, independent accounts, witnessess etc.
>>

> Which is actually a subset of the Scientific Method.

> You need to verify that the records, accounts, and witnesses are bona fide.

I disagree. The Scientific method has 4 steps...

How does the Historical Method use these 4 steps?

No, the Scientific Method and the Historical Method are not the same,
they are the children of reason.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:04:49 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:23:06 GMT, chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >>Income taxes of ANY sort punish those who WORK, while letting those
> >>who live off of Grandpa's trust funds (Kennedys, Rockefellers) without
> >>paying a dime.  Replacing Income taxes with Sales taxes reverses
> >>this situation.
> >
> >But then the less you earn, the HIGHER PERCENTAGE of your income goes
> >to taxes.
>
>         OTOH, grandpa probably already paid his taxes on that money
>         that you think should be reduced further with no sound
>         rationale. Infact, if that money were a straight inheritance
>         the government would have taken half of it yet again anyways.
>
>         If grandpa wants his decendants to have an easy life, that's
>         his business. Denying him that is as much a discouragment to
>         do productive work as is an immediate tax.

1. I favor the abolition of inheritance taxes for precisely that reason.
Inheritance taxes are one of the MOST Marxist taxes around.

2. How much you want to bet the the Kennedy's have never paid a dime
in Inheritance taxes.

> --
>
>         Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.
>
>         That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
>                                                                / | \

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.