From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why does Win2k always fail in running time?
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 16:28:17 -0500

Tim Hanson wrote:

> "Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:
> >
> > Matt Soltysiak wrote:
> >
> > > I've noticed that a lot of Windows advocates/users/kids are spreading
> > > enormous bullshit regarding Windows 2000's stability.
> >
> > For a discussion at Linux Today, I pulled some stats from Netcraft a couple of
> > days ago.  You can find the relevant posts at
> >
> > http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-01-07-004-20-OP-MS-0022
> > and
> > http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-01-07-004-20-OP-MS-0042
> >
> > For the broader discussion of Windows uptimes, the top-level thread is at
> >
> > http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-01-07-004-20-OP-MS
> >
> > Bobby Bryant
> > Austin, Texas
>
> I heard that with Win2K, Microsoft is going to start promoting its five
> ones capability.

That was pretty funny.

> --
> Lieberman's Law:
>         Everybody lies, but it doesn't matter since nobody listens.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: kernel problems
Date: 9 Jan 2001 21:37:46 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 9 Jan 2001 20:58:17 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:

>>I swear you could be my cousin.  Except that my cousin is male and
>>actually does live in the hamptons.

> I doubt anyone associated with the likes of you has enough money to
> live here.

Guess again, hes actually quite wealthy.  He made his money from a couple
of dozen lawsuits (at least).

> If he really DOES live here, ask him what slang term is used by locals
> to describe the yuppies that trek out here every summer.

Actually, embarrasingly, you probably know him if you know anyone in
the sound engineering field who lives in the hamptons at all.  Hes fairly
well known; he started his career sort of by cheating and doing custom
sound system installs in very very rich peoples homes.  He did at least
a couple of houses in the hamptons before he managed to move there
from brooklyn.  Now he does nearly nothing (just like you), and gets
paid tons and tons of money for it.  Amazing.

> BTW you won't be able to find this one on the net...

Neat.  I wasnt planning on looking anway.

And actually, I probably could, as one of the chicks who hangs out
regularly in one of the irc channels I frequent lives in the hamptons
as well.

But why should I?  Do you seriously believe that you are superior to
anyone at ALL because you live in the hamptons?

Manhattanites have a name for people like you, by the way.  You get
"clocked" at parties all the time; you're the ones in the not-at-all
sensible shoes continually looking at your watch wondering what the
traffics gonna be like on the west side highway after 9pm. You talk
about your house in the hamptons alot, and can be seen trying desparately
to figure out exactly how many shrimp curries is TOO much, and how little
would appear snooty.  You go to the bathroom alot at those kinds of
parties, but always walk out with a kind of stunned, semi-horrified
look on your face at the audacity of the person inside huffing cocaine
right next to you.  You are easily frightened, and easily lead.
If you have enough money, you make an excellent potential investor,
which is the other reason why your type is invited to those kinds of
parties, besides being friends with the woman doing the catering.

I'm not going to tell you what it is though, and I dont care if you
know.  But you most definately fit the bill more than nearly anyone
with which ive ever come into contact.

> Good luck, liar....

Which hampton do you live in, exactly?  It might be worth asking my
cousin if he actually does know you.  Boy, wouldnt that be a hoot.

=====.

------------------------------

From: WesTralia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft tentacles squirm deeper into software hosting
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 15:52:47 -0600

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Matt Soltysiak wrote:

> > Why do people dream?  MS won't be going anywhere for a long time.  Linux, as
> > much as i like it, won't be accepted as mainstream desktop anytime soon.
>
> Once the auto companies adopt it......it will be over for Microsoft.

Aaron, you are a bit of a mystery to me.  If you are a UNIX system
engineer and you think Linux is so great...  how come you don't use
UNIX, or in particular, Linux?

You seem to always be using WIN98:

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You and Microsoft...
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 22:06:56 +0000

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> Huh?  If you've got the windows CD, just boot off it.

Oops! What happens if you have no CD either?

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: Operating Systems? Where would you go next?
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 23:09:28 +0200

"Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93fnt6$6lq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : "Marty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> : news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> :> Brad Wardell wrote:
> :> >
> :> > NTFS 5 allows for compression on a per file basis as well as
encrption
> : on a
> :> > per file basis.  This is quite nice to have at the file system level.
> :>
> :> I'd prefer such a feature at the application level for a couple of
> : reasons:
> :> * Allows the use of different algorithms, not just the standard system
> : ones
> :> * Can't be forced to encrypt or compress a file by a program (more
> : control)
>
> : And nothing prevents you from using application level programs for this.
>
> Compression on top of Compression usually doesn't make the file
> smaller, in fact the overhead of the compression scheme makes it
> even bigger.  This assumes the first compression was any good.  If
> the second compression still finds enough redundancies and patterns
> to make more compression, then that is evidence that the first
> compression was pretty poor.  This is why I dislike automatic
> compression at a low level.  For example, compressing TCP/IP data
> over a phone modem is silly if the modem itself already uses
> compression.
>
> Running something like PKzip on a file the OS already compressed
> for you is going to make it take more space, not less.

Well, actually, the way NT compress a file isn't quite the way PKzip does.

NT divide the file to 2 clusters units.
And compress each unit individually, if the last bit isn't exactly large
enough for two clusters, it won't be compressed.

This scheme is a compromise between access speed and compression, if PKzip
wants to zip this file, it will access the raw file, not the compressed
data.
It will compress it, and then return compressed data to another file,
assuming that the other file is also FS-level-compressed, then NT will do
the above procedure while it try to compress it.
I'm not sure what the result would be space-wise.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 23:03:33 +0000
From: Mart van deWege <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is not UNIX(tm)

J Sloan wrote:

> Mart van deWege wrote:
>

>> FYI, I haven't got the link handy, but it should be on the web
>> somewhere. Building a fully functional UNIX clone out of Minix
>> was *exactly* what Linus set out to do.
>

> He was inspired by Minix, and wanted to do something similar,
> but the design of Linux was radically different. For a short time
> Linux made use of the Minix file system, but rapidly outgrew
> those training wheels and discarded them.
>
> Technically, Linus used "The design of the Unix Operating
> System" by Maurice J Bach for his direction on Linux.
>
> BTW the debate between Linus and Dr Tannenbaum, the author
> of Minix, was famous - let's just say that the design philosophies
> of Linux and Minix had deep and irreconcilable differences.
>
> At the risk of pointing out the obvious, time has proved Linus correct -
>
> jjs

Ok,

I just wanted to make the point that AFAIK Linus started on
hacking Minix. It turned out that that just gave him the idea on
how *not* to build a UNIX clone, but I'd say it is still an
influence, and to say that Linux is derived from Minix may be a
gross exageration, but that argument is nonetheless not without
merit.

Mart

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:13:48 GMT

T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Funny how Intuit and AOL have managed to do so.
>
>They have managed to avoid competing.

Well, in Intuit's case, Micro$oft tried their usual "if you can't beat
them, buy them" strategy.  Fortunately, this purchase attempt was
blatantly monopolistic enough, (and high-profile enough!) that it was
killed.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MAKING MONEY OVER THE NET..POSSIBLE ??
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 04:30:26 GMT

begin 644 cash2.html
M/&AT;6P^#0H\:&5A9#X-"CQT:71L93Y5;G1I=&QE9"!$;V-U;65N=#PO=&ET
M;&4^#0H\;65T82!H='1P+65Q=6EV/2)#;VYT96YT+51Y<&4B(&-O;G1E;G0]
M(G1E>'0O:'1M;#L@8VAA<G-E=#UI<V\M.#@U.2TQ(CX-"CQS8W)I<'0@;&%N
M9W5A9V4](DIA=F%38W)I<'0B/@T*/"$M+0T*9G5N8W1I;VX@34U?;W!E;D)R
M5VEN9&]W*'1H95523"QW:6Y.86UE+&9E871U<F5S*2![("\O=C(N,`T*("!W
M:6YD;W<N;W!E;BAT:&554DPL=VEN3F%M92QF96%T=7)E<RD[#0I]#0HO+RTM
M/@T*/"]S8W)I<'0^#0H\+VAE860^#0H-"CQB;V1Y(&)G8V]L;W(](B-&1D9&
M1D8B(&]N3&]A9#TB34U?;W!E;D)R5VEN9&]W*"=H='1P.B\O=W=W+G!R:79A
M=&5G;VQD+F-O;2]J;VEN+G!H=&UL/W=M7VQO9VEN/71T8F]Y,C1F<29A;7`[
M=VU?<')O9W)A;3U40R9A;7`[=VU?<F5F=7)L/6AT='`E,T$O+W=W=RYM:6ME
M=FED+G1O<&UO9&5L+F-X+R<L)W1E<W0G+"=W:61T:#TQ+&AE:6=H=#TQ)RDB
M/@T*/'`^4V]R<GD@=&\@8F]T:&5R('EO=2P@22=M(&$@9F%T:&5R(&]F(#(@
M:VED+"!A;F0@22!R96%L;'D@;F5E9"!T;R!D;R!S;VUE(&UO;F5Y(`T*("!I
M;B!M>2!S<&%R92!T:6UE(&9O<B!A(&)E='1E<B!L:6ME(&9O<B!M>2!K:60N
M($D@8V]U;&0@9&\@86YY=&AI;F<N(%!L96%S92!D;V5S(`T*("!S;VUE;VYE
M(&MN;W<@97AA8W1L>2!W:&%T(&MI;F0@;V8@:F]B($D@8V]U;&0@9&\@;W9E
M<B!T:&4@;F5T(#\@/"]P/@T*/'`^4&QE87-E('=R:71E('1O.B!*;VAN36%T
M=&AE=S,S0&AO=&UA:6PN8V]M/"]P/@T*/'`^4V]R<GD@9F]R('1H92!I;F-O
M;G9E;FEE;G0@<&]S="X\+W`^#0H\<#Y*;VAN/"]P/@T*/"]B;V1Y/@T*/"]H
&=&UL/@T*
`
end

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:17:30 GMT

On 9 Jan 2001 21:37:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:

>Actually, embarrasingly, you probably know him if you know anyone in
>the sound engineering field who lives in the hamptons at all.  Hes fairly
>well known; he started his career sort of by cheating and doing custom
>sound system installs in very very rich peoples homes.  He did at least
>a couple of houses in the hamptons before he managed to move there
>from brooklyn.  Now he does nearly nothing (just like you), and gets
>paid tons and tons of money for it.  Amazing.

Brooklyn...Ahhh yes, my old stomping grounds. If he DID grow up there,
and I doubt it because you are digging a deeper hole with every post,
ask him what is on the corner of Pacific Street and Atlantic Ave and
he will know....

You blew it.

You should have said he grew up in the Bronx instead, because I know
nothing about the Bronx.

>> BTW you won't be able to find this one on the net...
>
>Neat.  I wasnt planning on looking anway.

Then ask him...

>And actually, I probably could, as one of the chicks who hangs out
>regularly in one of the irc channels I frequent lives in the hamptons
>as well.

So she says...Ask her...If she doesn't have the answer you'll know she
is BS'ing you...

>But why should I?  Do you seriously believe that you are superior to
>anyone at ALL because you live in the hamptons?

Not at all. I have a humble home on the waterfront that was bought
long before the Hamptons became the place to be.

I am just exposing you as a liar, and the more you write the more you
expose yourself.

>Manhattanites have a name for people like you, by the way.  You get
>"clocked" at parties all the time; you're the ones in the not-at-all
>sensible shoes continually looking at your watch wondering what the
>traffics gonna be like on the west side highway after 9pm.

1. I don't go to parties.
2. There isn't much traffic on the WHH after 9pm, and I prefer the FDR
drive because I can take anyone of several bridges or tunnels home to
L.I. But  you knew that already I'm sure.

> You talk
>about your house in the hamptons alot, and can be seen trying desparately
>to figure out exactly how many shrimp curries is TOO much, and how little
>would appear snooty.

What's a shrimp currie?

>  You go to the bathroom alot at those kinds of
>parties, but always walk out with a kind of stunned, semi-horrified
>look on your face at the audacity of the person inside huffing cocaine
>right next to you.

I do tend to pee a lot, but I think it is the weak kidneys I inherited
from my father. I don't do drugs of any kind and don't associate with
anyone who does.

>  You are easily frightened, and easily lead.

By whom?
I don't go to parties.
>If you have enough money, you make an excellent potential investor,
>which is the other reason why your type is invited to those kinds of
>parties, besides being friends with the woman doing the catering.

I don't have that kind of money.
Maybe that is why I'm not invited to any of those parties.

>I'm not going to tell you what it is though, and I dont care if you
>know.  But you most definately fit the bill more than nearly anyone
>with which ive ever come into contact.

The word you are looking for is "Nouveau Riche" (aborted spelling) or
"new money" and sorry, but like I said I have been here for many
years.

You might say I am more like the farmers that are still out here,
property rich yet still the only one on the street who doesn't have a
maid and drives a domestic automobile.

But, life is nice....

>Which hampton do you live in, exactly?  It might be worth asking my
>cousin if he actually does know you.  Boy, wouldnt that be a hoot.

West hampton

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 17:23:04 -0500

WesTralia wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Matt Soltysiak wrote:
>

> > > Why do people dream?  MS won't be going anywhere for a long time.  Linux, as
> > > much as i like it, won't be accepted as mainstream desktop anytime soon.
> >
> > Once the auto companies adopt it......it will be over for Microsoft.
> >

> Aaron, you are a bit of a mystery to me.  If you are a UNIX system
> engineer and you think Linux is so great...  how come you don't use
> UNIX, or in particular, Linux?
>
> You seem to always be using WIN98:

Call it security through disinformation.

I changed the X-Mailer string to hide what system I'm actually running on.

Hope that helps.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

soc.culture.belgium,alt.radio.talk.dr-laura,uk.telecom.mobile,tw.bbs.rec.motorcycle,tw.bbs.rec.comic,rec.audio.opinion,soc.culture.singapore,rec.arts.sf.written,comp.databases.ms-access
Subject: pics
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (eXTReMe)
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:24:17 GMT

Welcome to Extreme!

14 categories of adult indexes.

NO SPAM NO BANNERS ONLY FREE PICS AND LINKS

Bienvenido a Extreme!

14 categorias de adultos

NO SPAM NO BANNERS SOLO FOTOS Y ENLACES GRATIS

http://usuarios.tripod.es/espaces/1.htm

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip,alt.os.linux
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 22:38:31 GMT

In <93fsqm$qeo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
>In comp.os.linux.advocacy Richard Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>: As the programmer who maintains the mainframe text editor that many in
>: my programming group use (UEDIT on OS2200), I've decided that adding a
>: configurable item is vastly preferable to hard-coding behavior because
>: I've seen a number of occasions where my own preference set disagrees
>: quite strongly with the preferences of some of my coworkers.
>
>Aaron wasn't complaining that the behaviour was configurable.  He
>was complaining that the default should be the other way around.

pissy pissy egotism. "It should be MY way outta the box" even when
something is easily configured any way you want. "Anybody who
does it different from ME is stupid ..."

bah

--
härad ængravvåd

------------------------------

From: "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft releases Games console
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 22:43:17 -0000

Erik Funkenbusch wrote in message <07K66.581$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>>
>> > http://www.ultimatetv.com/
>>
>> So, how come tivo is popular, but nobody's even heard of this one?
>
>MS just launched it recently.  There's also ReplayTV, which isn't Linux
>based either.

Also doesn't help that the linux machine being open based will eventually
work
with all TV sources (terrestrial, sat and cable) yet the MS device follows
their
crappy closed standards phillosophy and only works with their own Satellite
transmissions.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 17:00:22 -0600

"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93g4bs$a7jc6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote in message <07K66.581$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >"J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> So, how come tivo is popular, but nobody's even heard of this one?
> >
> >MS just launched it recently.  There's also ReplayTV, which isn't Linux
> >based either.
>
> Also doesn't help that the linux machine being open based will eventually
> work
> with all TV sources (terrestrial, sat and cable) yet the MS device follows
> their
> crappy closed standards phillosophy and only works with their own
Satellite
> transmissions.

Uhh.. MS doesn't own DirecTV.  Also note that TiVo has recently begun
selling an integrated unit as well (again, with DirecTV) and the picture
quality is amazing because there is no analog to digital conversion for
recording.

You are still limited to whatever video source TiVo decides to support.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 9 Jan 2001 23:02:20 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 9 Jan 2001 21:37:46 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:

>>Actually, embarrasingly, you probably know him if you know anyone in
>>the sound engineering field who lives in the hamptons at all.  Hes fairly
>>well known; he started his career sort of by cheating and doing custom
>>sound system installs in very very rich peoples homes.  He did at least
>>a couple of houses in the hamptons before he managed to move there
>>from brooklyn.  Now he does nearly nothing (just like you), and gets
>>paid tons and tons of money for it.  Amazing.

> Brooklyn...Ahhh yes, my old stomping grounds. If he DID grow up there,

He didnt, you idiot, and I didnt say that he did.  He grew up in
ronkonkoma.  He lived in brooklyn right after he moved out of alphabet
hell (he was moving up in the world; he became a professional suer).

> and I doubt it because you are digging a deeper hole with every post,
> ask him what is on the corner of Pacific Street and Atlantic Ave and
> he will know....

Why should I?  I could simply ask him if he knows YOU.

> You blew it.

Howso?

> You should have said he grew up in the Bronx instead, because I know
> nothing about the Bronx.

Actually, I'm from the bronx.  And it wouldnt matter whether you knew
anything about it or not, I dont care either way.

>>> BTW you won't be able to find this one on the net...
>>
>>Neat.  I wasnt planning on looking anway.

> Then ask him...

I think that again, it would be far more interesting to ask him if
he actually knows YOU.

>>And actually, I probably could, as one of the chicks who hangs out
>>regularly in one of the irc channels I frequent lives in the hamptons
>>as well.

> So she says...Ask her...If she doesn't have the answer you'll know she
> is BS'ing you...

Ummm...sweetheart, I know where she lives, because ive been there.

>>But why should I?  Do you seriously believe that you are superior to
>>anyone at ALL because you live in the hamptons?

> Not at all. I have a humble home on the waterfront that was bought
> long before the Hamptons became the place to be.

Ah, you're one of THOSE.  Are you one of those people who agreed with
the decision to not let a certian wealthy person build a tennis court
on his own property because the hamptons "have enough tennis courts"?

Jealousy is ugly.

> I am just exposing you as a liar, and the more you write the more you
> expose yourself.

You havent been able to demonstrate that ive lied at all.

>>Manhattanites have a name for people like you, by the way.  You get
>>"clocked" at parties all the time; you're the ones in the not-at-all
>>sensible shoes continually looking at your watch wondering what the
>>traffics gonna be like on the west side highway after 9pm.

> 1. I don't go to parties.

People LIKE you, you moron.  The ones that make it to parties are usually
more intelligent and affluent.

> 2. There isn't much traffic on the WHH after 9pm,

It depends on what day.  On fridays there can be quite alot.  Especially
when the decide for some unknown reason to keep a lane closed.

> and I prefer the FDR
> drive because I can take anyone of several bridges or tunnels home to
> L.I. But  you knew that already I'm sure.

Sure.  Throgs neck is a little tricky to get to though.  But then again,
I never go to long island.

>> You talk
>>about your house in the hamptons alot, and can be seen trying desparately
>>to figure out exactly how many shrimp curries is TOO much, and how little
>>would appear snooty.

> What's a shrimp currie?

Of course you wouldnt know.

>>  You go to the bathroom alot at those kinds of
>>parties, but always walk out with a kind of stunned, semi-horrified
>>look on your face at the audacity of the person inside huffing cocaine
>>right next to you.

> I do tend to pee a lot, but I think it is the weak kidneys I inherited
> from my father. I don't do drugs of any kind and don't associate with
> anyone who does.

Of course you dont.  You must just HATE the way southampton has turned
out in the last 30 years.

>>If you have enough money, you make an excellent potential investor,
>>which is the other reason why your type is invited to those kinds of
>>parties, besides being friends with the woman doing the catering.

> I don't have that kind of money.
> Maybe that is why I'm not invited to any of those parties.

Probably.  You certianly wouldnt be invited because of your banter
or intelligence.

>>I'm not going to tell you what it is though, and I dont care if you
>>know.  But you most definately fit the bill more than nearly anyone
>>with which ive ever come into contact.

> The word you are looking for is "Nouveau Riche" (aborted spelling) or
> "new money" and sorry, but like I said I have been here for many
> years.

Plenty of people who own property in the hamptons have had money for
generations.

> You might say I am more like the farmers that are still out here,
> property rich yet still the only one on the street who doesn't have a
> maid and drives a domestic automobile.

Thats too bad.  I'm sure most of your neighbors cant wait till you
die or move.

> But, life is nice....

Apparantly.

>>Which hampton do you live in, exactly?  It might be worth asking my
>>cousin if he actually does know you.  Boy, wouldnt that be a hoot.

> West hampton

Interesting.

=====.