Linux-Advocacy Digest #379, Volume #30           Thu, 23 Nov 00 09:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: The Sixth Sense (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job? (mitch)
  Re: The Sixth Sense (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: Microsoft = Ingsoc? They're clearly using some of the same tactics! (Matthias
Warkus)
  Re: Linux + KDE2 + hello world = 8( (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? (Giuliano Colla)
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: A Likely Breakdown of Book 10 (SPOILERS) ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: The Sixth Sense ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Uptime -- where is NT? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Mandrake 7.2 Quick Review ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Same old Linux..Nothing new here... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Microsoft = Ingsoc? They're clearly using some of the same tactics! ("Erik
Funkenbusch")

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Uptime -- where is NT?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:12:01 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > You also failed to answer my question about which particular internet
> > > standard you were referring to?  Is it because there isn't one which
> > > covers this?
> >
> > Do you believe that netcraft keeps uptime statistics sending a postcard
> > to netsites, asking them what's their uptime?
> >
> > Or that they perform a standard Internet interrogation, which NT
> > supports, but just answers with unreliable data?
> >
> > You're so anxious to show me wrong that you don't even stop a moment to
> > think.
>
> Interesting that you didn't answer the question... again.
>
> Why do you keep avoiding it?

Because I'm fed up of ignorant people trying to show that
shit is butter.
Work it out by yourself.

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:14:21 GMT

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Giuliano Colla
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 22 Nov 2000 10:01:56 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >> The best way to fix an MS problem is to install Linux.
> >>

> >That's exactly the device which makes for me MS crappiness
> >just an annoying side issue. When all my customers will have
> >switched to Linux, I'll stop bothering about MS at all.
>
> Agreed, although it's going to take some time before one can replace
> 90% of the market.  Still, it should be doable.

For some obscure reasons my customers aren't the 90% of the
market. Most likely the .00001%, so the task is easier!

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:35:17 GMT

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Alan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
[snip]

> > 2) My Home computer IE5.0 Settings are set to high, Active script
> > disabled, windows scripting host disabled. MS Java fuckin disabled and
> > I still got notepad to run off IE with both
> > file://c:\winnt\notepad.exe and
> > c:\winnt\notepad.exe.
>
> Because you changed the defaults.
> You can tell IE to always open a file type, if you so wish, and apperantely
> you did it.
> You can change it by opening my computer and then:
> Tools>Folder Options>File Types> (file type you want to change) >Advance >
> and then you check "Confirm open after download"
>
> > BTW, My Netscape just asked if I wanted to save it.
>
> Because you didn't change the defaults.
> IIRC, netscape would also give you the option to remember if to save or open
> file types.

No, you have it wrong. Netscape (which is rather shitty
nonetheless), only gives you options about what to do with
*data files*.
You can't have it run Notepad.exe, you can only have it open
your something.txt with Notepad, or save to disk.
An executable is *always* only saved to disk. No means to
override that.
By the security point of view this makes some light years of
difference. Netscape will only launch executables taken from
a list you're providing, by entering data file association
(which are Netscape specific, not system wide, because local
needs may differ, of course).
No means to launch an executable you haven't previously
authorized, no means to launch an executable whose name
comes from the net, no means to launch an executable for a
different purpose than opening a data file.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mitch)
Subject: Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job?
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:38:26 GMT

On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:34:27 -0500, Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

<snip nonsense>

Mate, it has nothing to do with being open-minded or not.  It`s all
about the applications - nothing more, nothing less.

I have to use OS2 some of the time here, because our main business
tool is an IBM app.  Do I bitch about it?  Yes.  Do I blame IBM?  No.

Get a life, because there is no chance of you ever getting a job.

--
Smileys are nothing but conceptual wheelchair ramps for the humor impaired.
 - Geoff Miller

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:45:41 GMT

Paul Colquhoun wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 18:52:27 GMT, Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> |
> |I interfere with the discussion just to provide some factual
> |informations.
> |
> |1)
> |
> |A Linux box, with KDE desktop (just to take a practical
> |example) offers the following features:
> |
> |a) Softlinks (alias symlinks)- directory entries
> |indistinguishable from the others, (except with special
> |test) which point to a different entry in any directory. By
> |any point of view (user, shell, application, remote access,
> |etc.) they're just directory entries.
> |
> |b) Hardlinks - Duplicate directory entries, which point to
> |the same file. They're completely indistinguishable, meaning
> |that the same file may have two entries in two different
> |directories, with different name, different owner, different
> |rights, etc. Only the kernel keeps track of that, because
> |deletion of a hard link doesn't imply deletion of the file,
> |until all entries have been deleted.
>
> Sorry, but 2 directory entries that are hard-links to the same file
> will *always* have the same owner, group and permissions because
> these belong to the *file* not to the directory entry.
>
> These atributes are held in the files main inode, along with the
> creation, modification and access timestamps and the list of
> disk blocks that belong to the file.

You're correct. My mistake. I got mixed up.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Microsoft = Ingsoc? They're clearly using some of the same tactics!
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:39:48 +0100

It was the Wed, 22 Nov 2000 21:17:55 -0600...
...and Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The average windows user doesn't know what these are though, simply because
> they don't care.  They don't want to use technical terms.

I challenge you to prove this claim. You can do this e.g. by quoting
an independent survey.

> Much like most users of cars don't know what a rotor is, or
> a ball joint.

I challenge you to prove this claim. You can do this e.g. by quoting
an independent survey.

(et caetera ad nauseam)

mawa
--
Who'd A Thought It, Alabama  |  Toad Suck, Arkansas       |  Two Egg,
Eek, Alaska                  |  Turkey Scratch, Arkansas  |  Florida

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Linux + KDE2 + hello world = 8(
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:28:54 +0100

It was the Thu, 23 Nov 2000 08:54:12 GMT...
...and Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus) writes:
>
> >> the steps depends strongly on the particular GUI you're writing
> >> for. My point is just that it's much more complex than it first
> >> appears, even to write a simple "Hello World," application.
>
> > Not necessarily.
>
> [14 lines, ~230 characters]
>
> > That's the most minimal version I could think of.

Hm... This works, too:

#include <gnome.h>
main(int argc, char **argv)
{
        gnome_init("hello", "0.0", argc, argv);
        gnome_ok_dialog("hello, world");
        gtk_main();
        return 0;
}

mawa
--
Wenn die Wochentage Länder wären...
...dann wäre der Mittwoch Vietnam.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 07:01:38 -0600

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Grow a clue.  uptime.exe works over the network.  And it reports
accurate
> > uptimes, even on NT4.
>
> Apparently only as long as your clock is accurate...

I'm not sure exactly what you mean here.  If you mean the system clock, in
regard to the 49.7 day issue, then no.  uptime.exe doesn't use that value.
If you mean that if your time of day clock get's whacked, then yes.

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:00:35 GMT

Stuart Fox wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Stuart Fox wrote:

> > > You also failed to answer my question about which particular
> internet
> > > standard you were referring to?  Is it because there isn't one which
> > > covers this?
> > >

> > Do you believe that netcraft keeps uptime statistics sending a
> postcard
> > to netsites, asking them what's their uptime?
> >
> > Or that they perform a standard Internet interrogation, which NT
> > supports, but just answers with unreliable data?
> >
> > You're so anxious to show me wrong that you don't even stop a moment
> > think.
>
> OK, if it's a standard interrogation, it must be documented as such
> somewhere yes?  And you must be able to point me to a reference that
> describes this standard?

I only dig on this sort of documentation when I need it.
Last time was perhaps five years ago. As NT is providing it,
you may easily find it in the Windows NT server manuals.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 07:05:40 -0600

> > Grow a clue.  uptime.exe works over the network.  And it reports
accurate
> > uptimes, even on NT4.
>
> Considering that Neutered Technology, version 4 ***STILL*** doesn't
> support remote execution....what good is uptime.exe for remote hosts
> querying the LoseNT server?

Uhh.. sorry again Aaron. NT *DOES* in fact support remote execution.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Likely Breakdown of Book 10 (SPOILERS)
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:10:10 +0200

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8virpn$4ii10$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Wrong newsgroups, sorry.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 15:13:11 +0200

"Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > "Alan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> [snip]
> >
> > > 2) My Home computer IE5.0 Settings are set to high, Active script
> > > disabled, windows scripting host disabled. MS Java fuckin disabled and
> > > I still got notepad to run off IE with both
> > > file://c:\winnt\notepad.exe and
> > > c:\winnt\notepad.exe.
> >
> > Because you changed the defaults.
> > You can tell IE to always open a file type, if you so wish, and
apperantely
> > you did it.
> > You can change it by opening my computer and then:
> > Tools>Folder Options>File Types> (file type you want to change) >Advance
>
> > and then you check "Confirm open after download"
> >
> > > BTW, My Netscape just asked if I wanted to save it.
> >
> > Because you didn't change the defaults.
> > IIRC, netscape would also give you the option to remember if to save or
open
> > file types.
> >

> No, you have it wrong. Netscape (which is rather shitty
> nonetheless), only gives you options about what to do with
> *data files*.

Maybe, it's been a long time since I used netscape to any length of time,
and I don't download files through browsers anymore anyway.

> You can't have it run Notepad.exe, you can only have it open
> your something.txt with Notepad, or save to disk.
> An executable is *always* only saved to disk. No means to
> override that.
> By the security point of view this makes some light years of
> difference. Netscape will only launch executables taken from
> a list you're providing, by entering data file association
> (which are Netscape specific, not system wide, because local
> needs may differ, of course).
> No means to launch an executable you haven't previously
> authorized, no means to launch an executable whose name
> comes from the net, no means to launch an executable for a
> different purpose than opening a data file.

Yes, but at least IE doesn't execute arbitry code in *images*.
(You talk about the danger in HTML emails?)

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 07:21:16 -0600

"Marty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > How about this scenario?:
> > > 1]  1 32-bit read and write (for increment operation)
> > > 2]  Branch out if overflow flag is off (99.999999999% of the time)
> > > 3]  1 32-bit read and write (for second increment operation)
> > >
> > > Have you done any assembly programming?
> >
> > Sure, but then this gives you only 24 days before it cycles, which then
> > anything over 24 days is overflow.  That's not 99.9999999% of the time.
If
> > the server is up for 6 months, then it's < 15% of the time it will be in
the
> > non-overflow state, while > 85% of the time it now has an additional
test
> > operation, not to mention bit masking to get around your goofy overflow
bit.

> > That creates even more processor time.
>
> I don't see where you got any of that from.  The second increment
operation is
> done on a different set of 32 bits, hence you've got 64 bits wide.  It
> increments once every timer tick.  Where did "24 days" come from?  The
count
> overflows only once every 2^32 timer ticks (49.7 days with a 1/1000th of a
> second tick).  Which part of that didn't you understand?

You claimed to use a bit for overflow.  While you can use the overflow
register to signal an overflow, that wasn't what you appeared to be saying.
Perhaps I misunderstood, but you appeared to be saying that you didn't need
to check the upper dword if you used a bit in the lower dword as an overflow
flag, thus further limiting your precision to 31 bits.

> I can see that you haven't done much with assembly.  The extra test
operation
> happens 100% of the time (not >85%),

No, the > 85% was in response to loading your register with the upper 32 bit
value, not the test.

> Even in spite of your "24 days" miscalculation or whatever, your claim
that
> the server would be in the overflow state >85% of the time after being up
for
> 6 months is gibberish.

It wasn't a miscalculation, it was based on a 31 bit lower dword based on
what you were saying.

> If you'd like someone to explain something to you in detail, then just
ask.
> Don't try to pass yourself off as knowledgable when you clearly aren't.

Really?  Do you understand the concept of minimum timer resolution?  Your
simplistic function doesn't work.  The tick count in Windows 95/NT has a
minimum timer resolution of 55ms, though it's recorded in 1 ms units.  This
means you can't just use a simple inc, and you can't just check for zero
because the incrementation may bring it as much as 54 ms past 0.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 07:23:50 -0600

"Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > What the hell are you talking about?  NT most certainly does have record
> > locking, and always has.  Win95 does too.
> >
> > From the Win32 API:
> >
> > LockFile
> > The LockFile function locks a region in an open file. Locking a region
> > prevents other processes from accessing the region.
>
> Ever tried to use it? Then do and then let me know your
> results.

Yes, i've used it extensively.  Have you?

> > No, we don't think everyone that criticizes MS is fully incompetant, but
> > you're proving yourself to be.
>
> You don't have only to read the API's descriptions, you must
> also experience their implementation!

I have used LockFile extensively, but suppose for second you're right that
LockFile doesn't work well (it does).  That doesn't change the fact you
claimed NT can't do it at all.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 07:24:36 -0600

"Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > "Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Do you believe that netcraft keeps uptime statistics sending a
postcard
> > > to netsites, asking them what's their uptime?
> > >
> > > Or that they perform a standard Internet interrogation, which NT
> > > supports, but just answers with unreliable data?
> > >
> > > You're so anxious to show me wrong that you don't even stop a moment
> > > think.
> >
> > Interesting that you didn't answer the question... again.
> >
> > Why do you keep avoiding it?
>
> Because I'm fed up of ignorant people trying to show that
> shit is butter.
> Work it out by yourself.

No, it's because you don't know how netcraft is getting it's uptimes.

You simply don't know and aren't willing to admit that you don't know.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Mandrake 7.2 Quick Review
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:36:45 GMT

On 23 Nov 2000 08:14:18 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David
Steinberg) wrote:

>...as soon as he (she) finds the first thing that doesn't perfectly set itself
>up automatically.  Then, instead of finding the (probably trivial)
>solution, he will rant about how many HOWTO's he's read and how many books
>are sitting on his bookshelf.

That's the beauty of this distribution, there really is nothing to set
up. For a change, they have finally got it right. I have to get Samba
going but this months Linux Format magazine has a good article on
that. Still don't understand why installing the network card screwed
up the dial up DNS routing, with no obvious way around it, but
activating ICS fixed everything so i'm happy.

>Of course, if he had read half of what he claims, he would be quite the
>guru by now, and wouldn't keep trying every distro under the sun to
>see if they get absolutely everything right automatically on installation.

And I am. Not perfect, but I have installed every distribution from an
old Unleashed Book Slackware circa 1994? to RH 4.1 (my first major
one) all the way up to current. Only one I have missed along the way
is Debian and later versions of Slackware.My biggest complaint is the
lack of consistency between various distributions. There always seems
to be some kind of "gotcha" with each and every one.
Maybe this has changed with Mandrake 7.2.

claire

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Same old Linux..Nothing new here...
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:38:32 GMT

On Thu, 23 Nov 2000 03:54:18 GMT, kiwiunixman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Claire, if you despise many of the Linux distro's you have tried, why
>don't you release your own distro,  Claire Lynn Linux 2000: Made by an
>idiot, for idiots.
>
>kiwiunixman

And you can be my first Beta tester.

claire

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 07:40:57 -0600

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > "Kenny Pearce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >     How does this relate to Microsoft? Look at technical jargon.
Imagine
> > > trying to communicate to the average Windows user the idea of "virtual
> > > terminals", "drive partitions" or "virtual screens".
>
> Since when has windows had virtual screens/ terminals? What are they
> like?

Since Win32 was first released.  For instance, look at this screenshot of
Litestep, a replacement shell for Explorer
http://www.litestep.net/ssview.php3?filename=qnxrtp.jpg

In the lower right corner you see a 3x3 grid, each of wich is a virtual
screen.

Win32 has built in API's for handling multiple screens and desktops,
multiple monitors, multiple terminals (see windows terminal services).

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 07:42:19 -0600

"Kenny Pearce" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Windows does posses the capability to muddle along with drive partitions.
I'll
> admit that. But if windows has virtual terminals or virtual screens I
would be
> much interested to know how these features are accessed.

Virtual terminals are accessed via Windows Terminal Services.  Virtual
screens by many of the replacement desktop shells, such as litestep.