From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Subject: Re: MusicMatch JukeBox for Linux!!!!!!
Date: 23 Nov 2000 21:24:54 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>This IMHO is the ultimate program for mp3's, burning, CD's and so
>forth. It just destroy's the competition like winamp etc, at least
>under Windows

It came bundled with my Gateway.  I don't use it.  Media Player 7 is
much less confusing to use, and looks better.  Perhaps if I took the
time to really learn MusicMatch JukeBox, I'd be more impressed.

Also, I'm pretty sure I didn't let any registration dialogs slip by with
a "yes, I want email from you!" checkbox checked, but I've been getting
email ads from them.

--Tim Smith

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 00:44:02 -0500
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> And what if you don't have Windows installed?

Wine should work without Windows installed.  However, having Windows
installed (probably) increases your chances of that Windows app
working.  The only thing you do need from a working Windows box is
regedit.exe.  That's about it.

You can put a "fake" windows installation on your unix partition.  All
you have to do is compile wine, then su root and do

tools/wineinstall

It'll ask you where you want your "fake Windows" installation.  Then all
you have to do is put regedit.exe into the "Windows" directory specified
in wine.conf.  I don't have Windows installed, so I do have to rely on
Wine for the small number of Windows programs I do need.

Ever try VMWare?

- Donn

Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 00:49:03 -0500
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What I dont like about Linux

Matt Soltysiak wrote:

> konq, is cool, but i can't get the jave VM to work.  I have the VM on my
> box, jdk1.2.2, but i can't get it linked with the browser.

Make sure "java" is in your path, and then configure Konqueror to
"automatically detect java".  For example:

$ which java
/usr/local/jdk1.2.2/bin/java

There's only a few sites that will work with Konq's java, though.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry Pyeatt)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: 24 Nov 2000 05:48:27 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

(major snippage)

> vi editing is superior....hands don't leave the main keyboard area.

Unless you use a Dvorak keyboard.  ;)

--
Larry D. Pyeatt, PhD.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Best used box to purchase for linux system
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 06:09:24 GMT

I don't understand this.  For less money you could get a faster
PC with opengl support.  Even windows95 has opengl support.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job?
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 06:11:30 GMT

"Ton Nijkes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
<Snip>
> > Candidate displays major attitude problem and expresses a desire to
> > cherry-pick assignments.
> >
> > Recommendation: NEXT!
<snip>

"We like 'em smart but ignorant"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 24 Nov 2000 06:31:25 GMT

On 24 Nov 2000 05:48:27 GMT, Larry Pyeatt wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>       "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>(major snippage)
>
>> vi editing is superior....hands don't leave the main keyboard area.
>
>Unless you use a Dvorak keyboard.  ;)

<map> is your friend ...

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 15:19:50 +1000

"Keldon Warlord" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> you tell me. afterall, Linux is the hellspawn OS of SATAN, isn't it?

I see linux is still eluding you Keldon.  Anything we can do to help?  Found
anything about your HD's yet?

-m

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Uptime -- where is NT?
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 02:40:25 -0500

Ketil Z Malde wrote:

> Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > He's still wrong.  You need only take the 2x hit once every 2^32 counter
> > ticks.
>
> Don't you need an extra branch-if or something?  This *could* wreak
> havoc on deeply pipelined architectures (most, these days).  And it's

pipeline would get flushed ONCE every 4294967296 (2^32) clock ticks.

BIIIIIIIIIIIIIG freaking deal.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 02:42:09 -0500

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said sfcybear in alt.destroy.microsoft;
>    [...]
> > Now, The statement I made was that the use of 479 days was based on a
> >reasonable thought process at the time the OS was writen. It may be
> >outdated But it was not an error or a flaw. There is NO reasonable
> >thought that I know of that justifies a 49 day uptime clock at the time
> >NT was writen. Memory was already getting MUCH cheaper and Computers
> >were already running far longer than 49 days. This means that the 49 day
> >uptime was an error or flaw.
>
> Sorry for droning on about this with late posts, but there is a
> reasonable thought that justifies a 49 day uptime *COUNTER* (AS IN NOT A
> CLOCK) at the time NT was given the ability to provide it.  Which was
> quite a bit after it was written (in the current form being
> implemented).  NT utilizes the standard SNMP mechanism, sysUptime, a
> timeticks MIB counter.  Timeticks MIB counters are in thousands of a
> second.  When querying a Unix server via SNMP, it also reports in
> thousands of a second.  Neither of these is a "clock", but a continuity
> indicator, so it really doesn't matter.  (Other than that weird bug in
> the first version of NT which had the SNMP integrated with the registry,
> in about 1997, IIRC, which caused the system to reboot when the counter
> rolled over.)
>
> Think about it.  All you need to do is query the server once every 49
> days.  And as long as it says it's been running for 49 days, the only
> way you could be missing any uptime is if they rebooted at precisely the
> rollover.  And you'd still get a measure of the amount time it took
> before it was up again, plus or minus the accuracy of the clocks
> involved as an offset.  The only time the number is at all "inaccurate"
> (in the way you mean, which I would call 'inconsistent') is the very
> first time you poll it.

But if you're running a database, and you want to know if a "commit"
was carried-out without a crash in-between, clock-rollover every
7 weeks is a MAJOR pain in the ass...

> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***
>
> Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!
> http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 02:34:54 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Marty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > >
> > > Then why doesn't Linux store a 64 bit value there either?  The answer is
> > > obvious, the value is incremented in kernel time, which is to be
> minimized
> > > as much as possible.  Incrementing a 64 bit value requires at least an
> order
> > > of magnitude more CPU cycles. (requires 2 32 bit reads, 2 32 bit writes,
> > > several math operations to combine the two values, etc..)  That may not
> seem
> > > significant, but when it's being done once every millisecond, it adds
> up.
> >
> > How about this scenario?:
> > 1]  1 32-bit read and write (for increment operation)
> > 2]  Branch out if overflow flag is off (99.999999999% of the time)
> > 3]  1 32-bit read and write (for second increment operation)
> >
> > Have you done any assembly programming?
>
> Sure, but then this gives you only 24 days before it cycles, which then
> anything over 24 days is overflow.  That's not 99.9999999% of the time.  If
> the server is up for 6 months, then it's < 15% of the time it will be in the
> non-overflow state, while > 85% of the time it now has an additional test
> operation, not to mention bit masking to get around your goofy overflow bit.
>
> That creates even more processor time.

Demonstrating still further the stupidity of MS's design criteria.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 02:45:58 -0500

Keldon Warlord wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Keldon Warlord wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Direct-X

> > > multimedia
> those
> > > DVD
> that
> > > have?

> > > no...what I'm saying is that this is the only DVD player that I
> have...and I
> > > sure as hell don't want to mess it up!
> > >

> > And how is Linux going to overwrite the firmware ROMS
> > in your DVD player exactly?
> >

> you tell me. afterall, Linux is the hellspawn OS of SATAN, isn't it?

Know.  SATAN keeps Unix and Linux secure.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 02:46:43 -0500

Keldon Warlord wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Keldon Warlord wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Direct-X

> > > multimedia
> those
> > > DVD
> that
> > > have?

> > > no...what I'm saying is that this is the only DVD player that I
> have...and I
> > > sure as hell don't want to mess it up!
> > >

> > And how is Linux going to overwrite the firmware ROMS
> > in your DVD player exactly?
> >

> you tell me. afterall, Linux is the hellspawn OS of SATAN, isn't it?

No....not at all.

SATAN is a tool which helps admins keep *nix systems secure.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 02:49:09 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> [...]
>
> You won't see a T.V. commerical for Linux.
> You barely see them in magazines execept for Linux only magazines.
> There are NO billboard posters along the highway for Linux.
> There are NO linux radio ad's!
>
> Linux has virtually NO marketing at all.  Even their trade shows
> are extremely small.
>
> YET despite this lack of marketing effort it still remains
> the #1 growing OS in the world today.
>
> There has NEVER been another os in the history of computers
> grow as rapidly as Linux has.
>
> And by 2005 under this consistent growth model, Linux will
> topple Microsofts seat of power and become the Globally Dominate
> Operating system of the future.
>
> And NOTHING has changed this so far.
> And if you think your the FIRST one to post a complaint about
> Linux, your dead wrong.
>
> In-fact, NEGATIVE CAMPAIGNS against Linux has been one of their
> greatest marketing windfalls.  It only seemed to server making
> more people aware of it's existance.
>
> And so far in the 21st century, Microsoft has finally ceased to
> grow.  Their growth rate has completely stopped.
>
> Time will tell if this trend remains at a hover for Microsoft
> in 2001 OR will Microsoft show negative growth in 2001.
>
> Despite what you say and what I say, the Linux growth
> trend has been at a steady and consistent pace for 6 straight
> years now.  And nothing, so far, has de-railed this growth.
>
> I think probably 1998 was one of the worst years for COLA
> in the NEGATIVE campaign wars when we had 50-60 wintrolls
> in here just flooding the system with messages about
> LINUX SUX.
>
> Today we have probably less than 20.
>
> Because of the nature of how Linux is manufactured, the
> fact that Linux is an all volunteer effort and not from
> a company, the fact they have a zero budget, the fact
> that it's user base is extremely loyal, Linux will
> be globally dominate by 2005.
>
> The reason Microsoft is being eaten by Linux is very simple.
> Microsoft is well versed on the tactics of destroying business
> competiton.  Linux is not a business and they just don't know
> how to deal with it.  Linux is so powerful that it has
> captured Dell corporation and is eating Compaq away.  Microsoft
> has NO CONTROL over Dell and Compaq anymore.  They have tried
> fervently to stop Linux from being installed on their machines
> with all kinds of crappy agreements and threats.  Nothing
> Microsoft has tried has worked.
>
> All of the PC manufacturers of any size are offering Linux.
> Linux is IBM's BASE INSTALL for all servers.  You can have
> Linux loaded on any of their PC products including the
> Think Pads.
>
> Microsoft has tried to stop all this activity with the
> same tactics they used against other competitors of
> the past and they have failed.
>
> And Microsoft is functionally finished.  You can say that
> safely and with certainty.  Even though they still have
> the largest stake of the market, Microsoft is finished.

Wave of the future.

Heheheheheh

> Charlie
> Linux - GET USED TO IT!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Time for a Lynn bait.... here goes!
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 02:51:07 -0500

Matthew Soltysiak wrote:

> No instead your GUI manager will segfault and throw you back to the
> command-line.

Which doesn't do a damn thing to the running windows.

New GUI can pick up the existing windows, and continue on as before.

In fact, RedHat 5.2 allowed you to CYCLE through various GUI's,
killing one, starting another....one after another...

Never affected a running app in the slightest.

> kiwiunixman wrote:
>
> > Heres an even better one I experienced:
> >
> > I was running Windows 98 SE, connected to the internet, and the blue
> > screen of death popped up complaining about pppmac or something, claire
> > whats wrong, this never happens on my linux box.  If I turn my computer
> > off for 30 secs and turn it back on, then connect to the net, the
> > problem goes away.
> >
> > kiwiunixman
> >
> > Jacques Guy wrote:
> >
> > > Hey sweetie pie! (cream pie, of course)
> > >
> > > Here's one from comp.windows.misc:
> > >

> > > Ok, so I have Win2k running on a Micron Millenia (P3-733, with Via
> > > Apollo 133 Mhz bus chipset).  Two problems:
> > >
> > > 1. Everytime I try to put the system into standby, it tells that my
> > > video card driver (Nvidia GeForce 256) won't allow it.  What's weird is
> > > that this didn't happen until I put my Plextor 12/10/32A CD-RW drive
> > > in.  Even weirder is the fact that I went back and reinstalled Win2k
> > > and didn't reinstall the Plextor software.  Everything worked fine for
> > > a couple of days and then all of a sudden it started doing it again.
> > > All that I had reinstalled was WinZip.
> > >
> > > 2. Recently, my sound started cutting out after a few minutes.  I can't
> > > pinpoint it to anything in particular and it's starting to drive me
> > > nuts.  I always have to reboot to get my sound back and usually I have
> > > to kill the power because it hangs during the reboot.
> > >

> > > You don't read comp.windows.misc, do you, sweetie cream pie in the
> > > Billy Goats's  face?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.