From: "Bagpuss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dumping Novell for Linux (almost)..
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:40:49 -0000

I've placed a working copy of my smb.conf file at
www.glasgownet.com/smb.conf
The file works perfectly at work, where user profiles are stored within
/home/Profiles and the logon script, logon.bat, is located within
/home/netlogon. Have a look at man smb.conf(5) for the details of
abbreviations such as %N and %u

HTH

--
Bagpuss
Your friendly cloth cat

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it does)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:42:08 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> Your programmer friends are idiots.  The registry makes generalized
> administration easier.  It's not the job of the administrator to be bogged
> down with programming laziness.
>
> Admin software is POSSIBLE under Windows because of the registry.  Under
> Linux, the /etc directory makes centralized administration IMPOSSIBLE.
> Editing that "line of text" is, like every administrative action, not as
> simple as it sounds.

That must be why EDS manages to administrate ALL of GM's 15,000 Unix
boxes scattered around the nation from two locations, neither of which
are on GM property.

> The registry solves this by unifying the format, and location for
> configuration, allowing true interoperability.  A feature which Lin-nuts
> like yourself will probably never realize.

Don't mind Kyle...he's been drinking Thunderbird again...

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Knock off the FreeBSD vs Linux bullshit.
Date: 11 Jan 2001 08:49:44 -0700

Clamchu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hey bastards, cut out the FreeBSD vs Linux bullshit.  I've been lurking
> in here, and I see some of you Linux turds slamming FreeBSD for it's
> allegedly poor SMP support.  First of all, you weenballs,  NT 4.0 blew
> away Linux with regards to SMP support, and now Windows 2000 is even
> better.

NT 4.0 blew away Linux with regards to *multiplexing single data
streams over multiple pipes in an SMP setup*, hardly a typical task.
This was also done (originally) against a 2.0 kernel -- 2.4 is about 5
years newer.

> The fact is that SMP performance in both FreeBSD AND Linux level off
> after 4 CPUS.

s/Linux/Linux <2.4/

> Secondly, Windows 2000 scales up much better than Linux in
> the SMP area.

Proof?

> So does Solaris.

Agreed, but Solaris actually *has* 64-cpu machines to run on.  :)

> The reason?  Ever hear of a micro kernel
> messaging architecture?  Windows 2000 blows Linux away with greater than
> 4 CPUs.  Newsflash: W2K has a microkernel.  Translation:  better SMP
> support with more than 4 processors.

Hmm, I didn't realize that microkernels had graphics subsystems
included -- I thought that they used services for that sort of thing.
The executive in Windows 2000 (and NT) is a hybrid; and it's a good
thing that it is because strict uKs are slow in many regards.

> Now shut the fuck up about FreeBSD vs. Linux.  Why are two open source
> groups slamming each other?  Show me documented test results that Linux
> outperforms FreeBSD in the SMP area, and I'll show you tests in which
> Linux is getting slaughtered by Windows 2000 with more than 4
> processors.

  http://people.freebsd.org/~jasone/smp/smp_article

That should be enough to convince you that Linux 2.2 outperforms
FreeBSD in the SMP arena.  FreeBSD 5 will kick some ass, after they
get this stuff done:

  http://people.freebsd.org/~jasone/smp/

(and these are by and large, things that are already in Linux 2.4)

> Besides, shouldn't you Linux advocates be talking about your usual ease
> of use, "which is better for the desktop, Windows ME or Linux"
> bullshit?  Go back to discussing which is easier to install, FreeBSD or
> Linux, because both are about even with regards to SMP support.

The point was made that FreeBSD is always better than Linux -- which
isn't always the case.  It *is* the case in many areas, of course.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Jens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Call for developers: Living Object System (long)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:57:44 +0000

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> > sometimes not appropriate. I like GUIs though and
> > I intend to break the current GUI concepts by
> > going boldly to the 4th dimension (space and
> > time). This is a task for later times so I will
>
> Exactly how do you intend to facilitate clicking on
> an x,y,z,t co-ordinate?

OpenGL does it by using a frustum around the mouse position to decide what
objects are close to and 'under' the mouse (selection). You get back a
list of objects and use picking to decide what object was clicked. This is
crude but it works.

The mouse is not the best input device to use when working in 3D or 4D.
There are other devices available (mouse cube, data gloves, wands ...) but
I have not used them so I can't say anything about their effectiveness.

Jens

------------------------------

From: "Bagpuss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tell us Why you use Windows over Linux.
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:53:14 -0000

"Joel Barnett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Bracy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> Thanks, I'll give it a try. Should have thought of it myself, I am
familiar
> with VNC.
>
> jbarntt

You don't even need to use the client. Just gain access to the machine in
question, and then go to http://machineinquestion:5800 where you will be
presented with a nice java VNC login screen. Works with any Java capable
browser, just make sure you have port 5800 and 5900 available for use.

HTH

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: 11 Jan 2001 09:00:18 -0700

Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Craig Kelley
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >> SMP under Linux levels off after four processors, similar to FreeBSD.
> >
> > FreeBSD can't even MIGRATE PROCESSES (much less, kernel functions).
>
> But it supports SMP.
>
> > It's not in the same class as Linux or Windows NT for that matter.
>
> This is very true
>
> > How is Windows NT/2000 better than Linux 2.4.0?
>
> Although Linux 2.4 & Windows NT & 2000 support SMP, Linux's performance
> tends to top-off after four  processors.  Windows does not have this
> problem.

You keep on repeating this mantra, but I see no evidence; in fact, the
SpecWeb results using 2.4 kicked Windows 2000's numbers.  I'm not a
huge advocate of benchmarks, because they are so subjective -- but
*please* backup your claims.

> > Caveots:
> >
> > 1)  FreeBSD is a great platform, don't get me wrong -- I just wouldn't
> > use it for SMP performance; I'd use it for other (network) performance
> > bennies.
> >
> > 2)  Yes, Solaris, Irix, AIX (etc.) kick both Linux and Windows NT out
> > the door with massivly MP machines.
> >
> > 3)  You can run Linux on 32 processor mahcines *right now* -- Windows
> > 2000 can't outside of Redmond.
>
> In general?  Or with SMP support?  Running Linux on a 32 processor scheme
> is tantamount to panning for gold in your own bath tub.

Because "Kyle" said so?  Hmmm.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip,alt.os.linux
Subject: Ed is the standard editor
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:05:03 -0500

Bob Eager wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:40:14, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > "ed is the standard editor!"
>
> And I hope you mean the original version....before they added wimpy
> prompts and increased the number of error messages from the original
> 2, to 3!
>
> Let's see....the messages were:
>
> 1.    ?
> 2.    TMP
>
> and then later:
>
> 3.    ??

http://www.billabong.demon.co.uk/ed.html

Real Hackers Use Ed

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick J. LoPresti)
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (News system)
Subject: The True Path (long)
Date: 11 Jul 91 03:17:31 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.religion.emacs,alt.slack

When I log into my Xenix system with my 110 baud teletype, both vi
*and* Emacs are just too damn slow.  They print useless messages like,
'C-h for help' and '"foo" File is read only'.  So I use the editor
that doesn't waste my VALUABLE time.

Ed, man!  !man ed

ED(1)               UNIX Programmer's Manual                ED(1)

NAME
     ed - text editor

SYNOPSIS
     ed [ - ] [ -x ] [ name ]
DESCRIPTION
     Ed is the standard text editor.
---

Computer Scientists love ed, not just because it comes first
alphabetically, but because it's the standard.  Everyone else loves ed
because it's ED!

"Ed is the standard text editor."

And ed doesn't waste space on my Timex Sinclair.  Just look:

-rwxr-xr-x  1 root          24 Oct 29  1929 /bin/ed
-rwxr-xr-t  4 root     1310720 Jan  1  1970 /usr/ucb/vi
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  5.89824e37 Oct 22  1990 /usr/bin/emacs

Of course, on the system *I* administrate, vi is symlinked to ed.
Emacs has been replaced by a shell script which 1) Generates a syslog
message at level LOG_EMERG; 2) reduces the user's disk quota by 100K;
and 3) RUNS ED!!!!!!

"Ed is the standard text editor."

Let's look at a typical novice's session with the mighty ed:

golem> ed

?
help
?
?
?
quit
?
exit
?
bye
?
hello?
?
eat flaming death
?
^C
?
^C
?
^D
?

---
Note the consistent user interface and error reportage.  Ed is
generous enough to flag errors, yet prudent enough not to overwhelm
the novice with verbosity.

"Ed is the standard text editor."

Ed, the greatest WYGIWYG editor of all.

ED IS THE TRUE PATH TO NIRVANA!  ED HAS BEEN THE CHOICE OF EDUCATED
AND IGNORANT ALIKE FOR CENTURIES!  ED WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR PRECIOUS
BODILY FLUIDS!!  ED IS THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR!  ED MAKES THE SUN
SHINE AND THE BIRDS SING AND THE GRASS GREEN!!

When I use an editor, I don't want eight extra KILOBYTES of worthless
help screens and cursor positioning code!  I just want an EDitor!!
Not a "viitor".  Not a "emacsitor".  Those aren't even WORDS!!!! ED!
ED! ED IS THE STANDARD!!!

TEXT EDITOR.

When IBM, in its ever-present omnipotence, needed to base their
"edlin" on a UNIX standard, did they mimic vi?  No.  Emacs?  Surely
you jest.  They chose the most karmic editor of all.  The standard.

Ed is for those who can *remember* what they are working on.  If you
are an idiot, you should use Emacs.  If you are an Emacs, you should
not be vi.  If you use ED, you are on THE PATH TO REDEMPTION.  THE
SO-CALLED "VISUAL" EDITORS HAVE BEEN PLACED HERE BY ED TO TEMPT THE
FAITHLESS.  DO NOT GIVE IN!!!  THE MIGHTY ED HAS SPOKEN!!!

?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 11:08:24 -0500

Jens wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> > > sometimes not appropriate. I like GUIs though and
> > > I intend to break the current GUI concepts by
> > > going boldly to the 4th dimension (space and
> > > time). This is a task for later times so I will
> >
> > Exactly how do you intend to facilitate clicking on
> > an x,y,z,t co-ordinate?
>
> OpenGL does it by using a frustum around the mouse position to decide what
> objects are close to and 'under' the mouse (selection). You get back a
> list of objects and use picking to decide what object was clicked. This is
> crude but it works.
>
> The mouse is not the best input device to use when working in 3D or 4D.

> There are other devices available (mouse cube, data gloves, wands ...) but
> I have not used them so I can't say anything about their effectiveness.

Yes, but are any of these available with a built-in time machine?

> Jens

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Jens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:18:57 +0000

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> > There are other devices available (mouse cube, data gloves, wands ...) but
> > I have not used them so I can't say anything about their effectiveness.
>
> Yes, but are any of these available with a built-in time machine?

Hmm, what do you mean? The computer keeps track of the time.

Jens

------------------------------

From: rus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I am trying Linux out for the first time.
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:01:01 -0700

I find the video setup disheartening. I also find that text editing
instead of GUI controls for program setup frustrating.  I am using
Caldera distro.  Is there a distro for people only having time to do
work and not time for figuring out their OS?

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 17:09:18 GMT

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "J Sloan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Donn Miller wrote:
> >
> > > Right.  Commercial unices and NT both have a microkernel design,
> >
> > Which "commercial unices" would that be then?
>
> I think that someone mentioned Solaris.

Solaris is not a microkernel, it's a modular monolithic
kernel, as is Linux.

try again?

> > So what is the your point WRT scaling?
>
> With a server that no one use, big deal.
> IIS is the second, with less than 5% difference, and it's on 20%+ of the
> production servers on the internet.

Nope, iis is less than half the speed of Linux/tux -
The specially modified "iis" used in microsoft's frantic
benchmark race is not available, and has never been
seen outside the microsoft campus.

jjs