From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:36:50 -0000

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:31:02 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:05:54 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>> >"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:970tqj$i83$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>the

>> >Perhaps you can point out a single credible definition of "pipe" that
>> >defines it with multitasking?
>> >
>> >By credible, I mean a university, book, or other experts definition.
>>
>> Actually, any academic text on operating systems will
>> extol the value of exploiting parallelism. This is what
>> a "real pipe" can do that mere copies don't. They (and
>> multitasking in general) allow for tasks to proceed as
>> a collection of smaller tasks that may exercise different
>> parts of the system simultaneously.
>
>Then it should be quite simple for you to provide a credible reference.
>Right?

        Any edition of the "dinosaur" book should do.

--

          The LGPL does infact tend to be used instead of the GPL in instances
          where merely reusing a component, while not actually altering that

          This dramatically alters the nature and usefulness of Free Software
          in practice, contrary to the 'all viral all the time' fantasy the
          anti-GPL cabal here would prefer one to believe.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Ooooopsss there goes another one.
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:40:25 +0000

dev null wrote:

> Those are the facts, yes, I agree.
>
> Another fact is that the omni-present war cry of the LinZealots is the
> mocking phrase "you will be assimilated" by Linux. They usually point to
> this very same corporate acceptance of Linux as the basis for making such
> bold assertions.

Linux is NOT about assimilation.  It is about choice.  I flame people if
and only if they amke a stupid choice.

> This corporate obsession was tantamount to dot com insanity, which anyone
> with half a brain realized.
> More and more of these 'friends of Linux' companies that jumped on the
> Torvalds Ego party will begin to back away. Just keep your eyes open.

There is a certain silliness.  But Linux (or similar) is often the best
choice for a corporation to *use*.  Why should they not back it also?

> Borland, marketing wizards that they are, went on a media blitz for the soon
> to be released RAD port of Delphi to Linux (Kylix). Months I have waited in
> anticipation of this release. Now, I have been told that a 'professional'
> version of this product will cost $999. Almost twice what the Windows
> version costs.
> Am I going to purchase it as I had planned? Of course not. Not only because
> of cost, but because I can hear the LinZealots now "I don't want no stinkin
> Borland binary on my box!"

Delphi kinda doesn't fit in with *nix.  On such platforms, C/C++ rule.
Until *nix is a majority OS, Delphi won't be that cheap for the
platform.  That's business.

> How long do you think Borland will be able to support Linux RAD development
> via sales of this product?
> After seeing Borland's investment fade into lost $$, how many more companies
> will incur the $$ to migrate to Linux??

I think Borland will keep it up.  It is a loss leader.  Linux will in
future make their product viable.  But people will only be interested
when it become a known name.  Hence it is about now.

> Companies, in the traditional sense, will not sustain an unprofitable model
> for very long. They aren't quite as lemming-like as Amazon stock holders,
> and Linux newbies.

Traditional sense?  Surely any company will sustain any loss if they a
certain it will yield a profit in future.  It's all well and good making
profit short term, any idiot can do that.  The trick is knowing how to
make a loss now to make a bigger profit tommorrow.
> Assimilate that.

<snip>

Incidentally, your .sig is cretinous.
--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:47:47 -0600

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:31:02 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >the

> >> Actually, any academic text on operating systems will
> >> extol the value of exploiting parallelism. This is what
> >> a "real pipe" can do that mere copies don't. They (and
> >> multitasking in general) allow for tasks to proceed as
> >> a collection of smaller tasks that may exercise different
> >> parts of the system simultaneously.
> >
> >Then it should be quite simple for you to provide a credible reference.
> >Right?
>
> Any edition of the "dinosaur" book should do.

Should it?  Are you guessing?  Have you actually read this in the book?
Simply provide a page reference.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:43:24 +0000

Donn Miller wrote:

> dev null <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > VA Linux posts big loss, will lay off 139
> > http://www0.mercurycenter.com/svtech/news/indepth/docs/linux022101.htm
>
> > Now, what was all that I read in here earlier about how MS was 'dead' ????
>
> Nah, the great thing about Linux is that it is giving us an alternative to
> MS.  The fact that MS isn't dead or dying isn't that important.  In fact, the
> words directly from MS was that unix was going to be dead because of it's
> excellent multi-platform offering, NT.  Now, NT is only supported on one
> platform, whereas unix, which ironically started its exponential rise into
> popularity 2-3 years after MS made the "unix is dead" comment, is still
> multi-platform.

NT, ibelieve is available on Alpha AXP in 32-bit emulation, And PowerPC
(perhaps, I'm sure), as well as i386.

It still ain't worth it though.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:42:57 -0000

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:10:55 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> On 20 Feb 2001 11:33:02 GMT, Bloody Viking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>> >
>> >: Personally, I think a Marine Expeditionary Brigade, 2 Marine
>> >: Air Wings, and a couple of Iowa-Class battleships should use
>> >: the Redmond, Washington campus of Microsoft as a live-fire
>> >: training ground.
>> >
>> >The Iowa-model battleships would be nice, just make sure to adapt nuke
>> >artillery shells to its guns. That way, Redmond becomes MS-Parking Lot v.1.0.
>>
>>         As long as the standard shells have range enough to get to
>>         Redmond, you don't really need to add a nuclear warhead.
>>         Those shells can do quite a bit of damage on their own.
>>

>I think we should start an underground rumor-campaing that such things,
>are, in fact, in the works.
>
>Make old Bill paranoid.

[deletia]

        How big of a land vehicle do you think would be needed to mount
        a single BB turret and carry sufficient fuel and provisions?

        Then again, you could just scrounge up some surplus/vintage WWII
        tanks... The Linux Panzer brigade... '-)

--

        Freedom != Anarchy.

          Some must be "opressed" in order for their
        actions not to oppress the rest of us.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Incredible developments in Italy regarding business software
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:44:40 +1300

Hi goughtr,

> We need not worry too much.  Italy is so unstable (in a way) that
> *nothing* will get passed!

Um, it is being reported that this legislation was passed last year:

http://lwn.net/2001/features/siae.php3

"The Italian Parliament recently approved an amendment to copyright law.
The new rules have been in force since September 18, 2000 as law 248/2000.
The new mechanism is as yet unclear, but we suspect that it might hinder
or even put a stop to the work of anyone producing software or using it in
their business."

Adam

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:46:18 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Well it's not exactly gone yet, but it's well on the way.
>

>http://dailynews.netscape.com/mynsnews/story.tmpl?table=n&cat=50300&id=200102211148000244539
>
> Flatfish
> Why do they call it a flatfish?
> Remove the ++++ to reply.

You're an idiot

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:45:47 -0500

Sam Morris wrote:

> observer
> > > that
> > >
> > > And yet you still refuse to justify the petty attacks present
> in
> > > your .sig.
> > >

> > They are NOT petty attacks.  They are documentation of
> methodologies
> > used in petty attacks against me.
>
> You take yourself far to seriously. Meanwhile you still haven't
> justified your petty attacks.

False premise.

Exposing the m.o. of habitual flamers is NOT a petty attack.

> response.
> > >
> > > Get over it.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Sam
>
> "All your base are belong to us" - Cats

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:47:36 -0500

Gerry wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Nope.  Then after every scirrilous attack, I'll have to write a
> > follow-up
> > instructing people to actually look at the web page.
> >
> > I have NO interest in WASTING MY TIME in such an endeavour.
>
> Or you can simply say it once, and end it there.

And when they resume their attacks...then what?

> There's no need for every single message you write to contain your
> opinions on something completely unrelated to the message you are
> writing.

The price of liberty is eternal vigilance.

If you are clever, you can see the parallel here.

> You seem to have an interest in wasting our time by including your sig
> in every message. Why's that?
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://homepage.mac.com/gbeggs/
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.GerryICQ.com/

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:47:46 -0000

On 20 Feb 2001 23:12:06 GMT, Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 18:04:49 -0500, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
>
>>1. I favor the abolition of inheritance taxes for precisely that reason.
>>Inheritance taxes are one of the MOST Marxist taxes around.
>
>On the contrary, creating a society that hands out rewards on the basis
>of inheritance and not merit is a great way to create an aristocracy.

        That still doesn't eliminate the fact that you are still
        fucking with people's motivations to be productive.
        Stealing from productive people to too great a degree
        ends up being counterproductive.

>Part of the problem is that you seem to be incapable of distinguishing
>between merit and hereditary. This has already been established.

        Plus, this occurs even in the presence of inheritance taxes.
        The children of the wealthy still derive benefits from merely
        being born to the right parents. You don't stop the formation
        of aristocracy with death taxes. It's just an ineffective
        feel-good measure that gives governments more money to wate.

>>2. How much you want to bet the the Kennedy's have never paid a dime
>>in Inheritance taxes.
>
>Then maybe it's time to lower the thresholds and tighten the loopholes!
>I bet that it's not the democrats who are fighting this ...
[deletia]

--

        Having seen my prefered platform being eaten away by vendorlock and
        the Lemming mentality in the past, I have a considerable motivation to

        Free Software is the only way to level the playing field against a
        market leader that has become immune to market pressures.

        The other alternatives are giving up and just allowing the mediocrity
        to walk all over you or to see your prefered product die slowly.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:50:01 -0500

Sam Morris wrote:

> the
> fun
> > >
> > > All it does is cancel out the effect of the remaining 12
> people
> > > who sill only post links to newsgroups rather than attaching
> > > binaries.
> > >

> > non-sequitor.
>
> These people save bandwidth. You waste it. Meanwhile, you still
> haven't justified the petty attacks.

False premise.

Describing the modious operendi of these habitual flamers
is *NOT* a petty attack.

game
set
match

you lose.

> --
> Cheers,
> Sam
>
> "All your base are belong to us" - Cats

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: CR Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:51:02 GMT

Nick Condon wrote:

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > At the cost of a few human lives.  (if you don't see the connection,
> > look harder.  If the Chinese government uses Linux for their primary
> > OS, and changes are contributed to support the Chinese government,
> > then clearly Linux is actively being used to assist human rights
> > violations)
> >
> > If that doesn't matter to you, no big deal.  If it does, you'd be a
> > hypocrite to use Linux.
>
> Will you be boycotting the written word then, since the Chinese invented
> the printing press? How about gunpowder?
>
> --
> Nick
I don't think the Chineese invented the printing press. As I recall,
they invented block printing. The Western contribution was movable type
coupled with an old wine press to improve on the block printing method.
--
Russ
<http://home.earthlink.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:52:41 -0000

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 05:02:30 GMT, ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <1ep4495.1qy899vihafh2N@[192.168.0.142]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew J. Brehm) wrote:
>
>> ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > [snip]

>> > Some people don't like the restrictions of GPL.
>>
>> I see no restrictions but the needed ones.
>
>Why are the larger work licensing restrictions needed? As I pointed out,
>the BSD OSes get by just fine without a viral license. People give back

        Yeah, and that's all they are going...

        "getting by"

>because they want to or because it benefits them in some way, not
>because the license requires it.

        The GPL only ever came into existence due to the
        abuses that occured when RMS used more lax licencing.

[deletia]

        The GPL attracts developers. The LGPL also does so without
        being any more intrusive in practice than the BSDL.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 00:59:08 -0000

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:42:35 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>ZnU wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > Leftist socialism is merely fascism in disguise.
>> >
>> > That's what you get for electing the Labour party.
>>
>> I can't say I follow UK politics too well, but I doubt that's the
>> problem. The problem is that a government typically operates at or
>> slightly beyond the legal limits of its authority. With no full
>> equivalent of the US Constitution to restrict its powers, the UK
>> government can get away with more, and does.
>
>True.  And the public demand that Parliament outlaw handguns
>will, in the final analysis, prove to be the key step which
>costs British subjects even the appearance of freedom.
>
>Look at what happened in Waco...DUE TO THE PRESENCE OF FIREARMS
>IN THE HANDS OF CITIZENS, nutcase bureaucrats were stymied for
>close to 3 months.
>
>Remember the 4 BATF agents who died on the first day?
>
>Armor piercing bullets.  The only people who had access to
>that kind of ammunition was....you guessed it...the BATF
>and FBI.

        An M-16/AR-15, or other high powered rifle, will
        quite easily penetrate a so-called "bullet proof"
        vest.

        Vests that civilian police call "bullet proof" are
        actually meant to protect from secondary fragmentation.

        They are not infact "bullet proof". One need not use
        armour piercing rounds to penetrate them. The same
        goes for standard issue US infantry kevlar helmets.

        At 100 yards, a standard M-16 ball round will go right
        through one of those helmets. I have seen this firsthand.

[deletia]

--

        Regarding Copyleft:

          There are more of "US" than there are of "YOU", so I don't
          really give a damn if you're mad that the L/GPL makes it
          harder for you to be a robber baron.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:59:25 -0500

Gerry wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Who gives a fuck about sport.  The primary purpose of a gun is to protect
> > yourself and your loved ones from any person or persons who mean do you harm.
>
> The primary purpose of a gun is to kill.

And your point is?

> And more often than not, it isn't against someone who means to do you
> harm.

Proof?

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://homepage.mac.com/gbeggs/
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.GerryICQ.com/

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.