From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: C++ is very alive!
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 05:16:36 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
mlw wrote:
>Charlie Ebert wrote:
>>
>> Aren't you people forgetting that HURD is based
>> on C++ with that microkernel technology.
>>
>> They are going the be the C++ club of the future.
>>
>> C++ is far from dead.  It's just not being used
>> as few old timers really understand how to use it.
>

>!!! Warning!!! The following reads like flame bait, to many it may be.
>It is not intended to be. !!

Okay!  I'll sign up for this ass chewing!
Here I go!

>I know lots of engineers that use C++.

I don't really.  But I really do like to use it.

>If I should be so bold, software engineers use tools like C++,
>programmers use stuff like Java or VB. There is a difference, and it is
>important to remember.

Well, I'm going to say that I'm somewhere in-between here.
I'm not really a day to day programmer but , I don't do
kernel development either.

>What is an AVL tree, can you write one?

I don't know and NO.

>What is a hash table, how would you write one?

I don't know and NO.

>What is a radix?

I've heard the term before...  This sounds
like one of the questions the Navy put forth
to me during the pilot exam.

My answer still stands!  I don't know!

>How does bsearch work? Could you write one?

Humm..  This sounds like Btrieve...
But it couldn't be...

>What is a histogram? Can you write one?

My mom had one once.  It was shortly after I was born.
Don't know about writing one.

>When is qsort a bad choice?

When it's on a test and 1,300 other advocacy
people are watching you answer it...

>What other types of sorting algorithms are there, and what are the
>pros/cons?

Humm.  I didn't know they had a list beyond the
bubble sort.

>What would you a histogram for?

I wouldn't as I'm a man.

>What would you use an AVL tree for? How about a hash table?

This is unfair as I swear you've asked me this before!
My answer still stands!  I wouldn't use this!

>How does a linked list work? How about a double linked list?

This is database terms and I understand this one.
A simple linked list allows you to insert and delete
records from a table without a resort being involved.
A double linked list can be one of two things or both...
A secondary table /primary link list pointer to a master
table.  A secondary index which sorts the table in a
different fashion from the master.

>How do you simulate subtraction with addition?

humm.  flip the bits and AND?

>Which can be written more efficiently, divide by 3 or divide by 4?

Ha.  oh machine language.  Well!  I wonder why this
could apply to C++?

You know.  Symbolic code was one reason people like to hire me
but, we just don't get down to this level anymore.  There
more interested in how you can re-write table sorts and parsing
routines.

>On a pentium which is more efficient integer arithmetic or or floating
>precision? How about PIII? Why?

integer arithmetic would be more efficient I would think.
I don't know that Intel has any special features which would
change this with a Pentium ???? anything.

>What is the advantage of keeping objects in memory closer to one
>another? When/how is this a problem in a multitasking multiprocessor
>environment?

Well, in windows or Linux we page memory for applications
and you end up moving pages around to re-organize memory for
new entrants.  FreeBSD changed all that with their new
method of indexing memory.  Don't know that Linux uses this
yet.

>What are the trade-offs between fixed memory block allocation vs
>variable block?

You would have to table the variable, otherwise how would
you know where anything was and what it took?

I'm not sure I understand what fixed is as I don't think there
is any operating system left which would use that.

>How about first fit, last fit, or best bit allocation strategies?

Humm.  I wonder where they come up with this terminology.
I couldn't comment on this as I haven't a clue.

>These are all very important questions (and only scratching the
>surface). If you do not know these sorts of things cold, then you are a
>programmer and are probably better off doing stuff in Java or some other
>limited environment until you learn more. It isn't until you understand
>these sorts of things do you understand how to develop software.

Well.  I think if your going to work on defense contract programming
missle boards I would agree.  If your going to work on kernel's I
would agree.  If your going to do day to day business development
then being a programmer is adequate.  And the choice of languages
should remain open to C++.  C++ isn't just for rocket scientists.
I think it's a wonderful business language also.

Then there is the government with their ADA.

>I am aware that many will be pissed off by this attitude, but in
>defense, it should be noted that a good number of people take software
>development seriously. We spend years learning and improving our skills.

You know.  I'm not pissed here.  I spent years converting some
old B System V machines for a large insurance company over to
a Microsoft architecture.  We essentially turned Microsoft servers
into a large clustered V emulator.  I wish now I would have
started the project off in Linux but Linux was only a couple of
years old when I got started.

I think there are developers and then there are developers.
I couldn't do kernel work like you appearently can.
But then again you probably couldn't take a pile of PC boards,
a backplane and a Microsoft Server OS and turn it into a FEP
for a new kind of cluster.

>It takes an amount of dedication to get to the point where the question
>about how to do something is a no brainer, and the tricks are purely
>implementation issues on ever changing platforms.

I wouldn't have any trouble with this.

>C++ isn't dead, far from it. It is a power tool. people with few skills
>are scared of powertools. Craftsmen love powertools because they know
>how to use them, they make the job easier and, in the end, make a better
>product.
>

>--
>http://www.mohawksoft.com

I would agree with these comments.  It's just not a commonly used
tool.  But it has many benefits which if people used them we would
have better software today.

I noticed that the introduction of OOP into Cobol is meeting with
rave reviews from all the programmers.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New to Linux, and I am not satisfied.
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 05:26:16 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 22 Nov 2000 18:38:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
> wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 22 Nov 2000 15:09:49 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >>You Penguinista's have a difficult time reading for some reason.
> >>Maybe your eyes are worn out from reading all of those How-Not-To's.
> >>
> >>He said MENU BASED.
> >
> >Not in the post I followed up to, he didn't.
>
> Everybody seems to miss the menu part, I wonder why?
> Maybe because it doesn't work correctly?
> claire

Maybe because you are the only one interested in going out of your
way to invent things that don't work.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 05:52:58 GMT

"Chad Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:pJST5.5581$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Interestingly, it's a nice thing that windows (on NTFS) can do as
well.

> > Unix had this from the Very Start.
> >
> > Why did it take Microsoft over 15 years to come up with similar
> functionality?
> >

> Because in the bad old days, none of the systems were connected to others
> nor were they connected to the outside world, such functionality was not
> needed.

I just love historical revisionism.  Windows for WorkGroups didn't
really exist,  nobody ever used DOS or Windows on top of Netware,
Windows95 didn't really offer to share files,  Windows98 didn't offer
to share files.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 05:58:58 GMT

"Chad Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:iwcT5.5295$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > The newer libs support the old calls even if they have to map them.
The
> > problem is
> > > that 3rd-party installers have historically replaced NEWER DLLs to
suit
> > their own
> > > needs thus breaking apps that depend on the NEW calls.
> >
> > And the historical reason that 3rd party apps had to overwrite these
> > DLLS would be?
> >

> None.  They didn't have to if the lazy programmers either: a> Checked the
> dates before copying or B> Wrote their programs to the published Windows
API
> correctly.

And you are positive that there has never been a case where the newer
MS DLL broke another vendor's previously working program?

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:00:18 GMT

mark wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike Byrns wrote:
> >Les Mikesell wrote:
> >
> >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Try a RedHat 6.2 or up 'workstation' install if you want the
> >> machine not to run any services.  Normally I want to use the
> >> computer so I want services enabled.  However, that has
> >> nothing to do with the earlier posting about Microsoft arbitrarily
> >> moving the ports for file sharing without telling anyone.  Quick
> >> now, which router ports do you block to keep netbios-over-tcp
> >> from leaking out?
> >
> >You block everything you don't know you need.  I'm sure glad you don't setup MY
> >routers and firewalls.  And on the worstations you don't run NetBios at all.
> >
>                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Doesn't that defeat having it at all?

Why should it be loaded on your outside interfaces when it's not going to be used?

------------------------------

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:01:22 GMT

mark wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike Byrns wrote:
> >mark wrote:

> >> :-)
> >
> >What I think would be really amusing is to prove where the operating system sends
> >banking information to Microsoft.  Netmeeting sends your conversation through
> >Microsoft servers only if you configure it to.  Just like AIM and ICQ et. al.  If
> >you use your own server then, of course, it does not.  The where an who you are
>
> Er, no - that's wrong.  The copy of netmeeting I'm looking at sets up
> tcp links to microsoft even though the server is within our intranet.
>
> I still haven't seen anything to turn this off.
>
> I suspect you don't know what I'm talking about.  It really _does_
> phone home.

Port and server please?

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:03:15 GMT

"Mike Byrns" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Try a RedHat 6.2 or up 'workstation' install if you want the
> > machine not to run any services.  Normally I want to use the
> > computer so I want services enabled.  However, that has
> > nothing to do with the earlier posting about Microsoft arbitrarily
> > moving the ports for file sharing without telling anyone.  Quick
> > now, which router ports do you block to keep netbios-over-tcp
> > from leaking out?
>
> You block everything you don't know you need.  I'm sure glad you don't
setup MY
> routers and firewalls.  And on the worstations you don't run NetBios at
all.

Why do you have a network if you don't let anyone use it for network
services?

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:07:05 GMT

mark wrote:

> In article <8qST5.5564$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Chad Mulligan wrote:
> >
> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >Windows is
> >soft-
> >you're

> >way

> >system sends
> >through
> >al.  If
> >you are
> >>
> >> Er, no - that's wrong.  The copy of netmeeting I'm looking at sets up
> >> tcp links to microsoft even though the server is within our intranet.
> >>

> >During setup it asks you if you want to use ils.microsoft.com as a directory
> >(read name) server.  Say no and no connection to MS exists.  This is also a
> >setting change IIRC.
>
> Indeed, and it's not set up that way, and it _still_ creates TCP links
> to microsoft.com.
>
> I haven't seen anything else to switch this off, and I _really_ don't
> like it.

Again, what server and port is it trying to connect to at Microsoft?

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:41:32 GMT

"PLZI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:j1ZS5.428$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:UIIS5.23478$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > As always, this is undocumented.  However, it seems to only be
> > between Win2k peers on port 445 and if either end is not Win2k
> > it will fall back to the old 137/139.
>
> This, as always, is documented.

Only some of it is documented.

> Whats more, it is (gasp!) an open standard,
> something called CIFS (Common Internet File System). You can pull the
specs
> out from microsoft.com. And the behaviour is fully controllable. There are
> two ways to do filesharing things on W2K box, other one is CIFS, other one
> SMB/NetBIOS. If the other box does not talk CIFS, the W2K peer falls back
> NetBIOS. Or does not, depends how you set things up.

Odd, according to the samba people, they were calling it CIFS years ago -
long
before W2K was around.

> > > Also, is this controllable anywhere, say from the control panel?
> > > (Or whatever Win2k decides to call it?)
> >
> > There are no user-servicable parts.
>
> Humh, do a search about CIFS in www.microsoft.com. I dare you.
> and being an nice person today, look what I found for you:
>
> A Common Internet File System (CIFS/1.0) Protocol
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/specs/cifs1099.htm
>
> If you're paying attention, you will find that inside the CIFS spec, there
is
> full specification of SMB. Header by header, byte by byte. Now what was
that,
> SAMBA guys whining that the SMB protocol is closed and specs are not
> available...? Ok, let's do it all together:
> "ICANTHEARYOULALALALASMBISNOTOPENLALALA!"

Interesting attitude, considering that you obviously know that the samba
folks
had all this worked out many years before this web page was published and
that the part they are currently complaining about is in fact closed.

> More notes: NetBIOS uses three (ok, in normal scenarios two) ports. CIFS
uses
> one. Easier firewall configs, at last.

Where did you find that?  The 'Appendix B--TCP Transport' section of the
document you mentioned lists the tcp port as 'TBD'.    It does mention
observing rfc 1002 which specifies 139 and does not mention 445.

> And of course you can kill the NetBIOS
> alltogether if you play in plain W2K environment. Or get the forementioned
> samba guys to make a CIFS port. Hey, the documentation is available, no
> matter how much they scream.

No, the documentation they need is *NOT* available without use-restrictions.
They need to be able to build a fully functional domain controller.  No
amount of meaningless posturing about openness is going to change the facts
until these specs are released as well.

> If you are wondering what port numbers windows products in general uses
for
> what purposes, this is for you:
>
> "This appendix describes Microsoft® Windows® 2000 Server and Microsoft®
> Windows® 2000 Professional default port assignments and IP Protocol
Numbers.

http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWS2000/library/resources/reskit/samplechapters
/
> cnfc/cnfc_por_zqyu.asp
>
> (link in one line, please)

You know there are official standards for this sort of thing.  Why does any
vendor need their own non-standard variation and why should any
cross-platform user have to deal with such variations?

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 06:45:01 GMT

"Chad Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:2QZT5.10139$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Whereas I go to the pub and buy a pint with the money that I didn't give
> > to Microsoft :)
> >

> To bad you wouldn't have the time, what with all the arcane tasks needed
> keep a UNIX healthy.

That's funny, considering that many of us have unix boxes that have been
running for years with no maintenance at all.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 01:59:09 -0500

"B. P. Uecker" wrote:

> mark wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >>Last weekend, I probed your girlfriend for a couple of hours.
> >
> >Gaaaaaaarrrrrrrrkkkkk :-)
> >
> >I do so like a nice, simple to understand, analogy.  It really
> >greases my wheels (or something...)
>
> Actually, it was my boyfriend he probed.  I'm not surprised he
> couldn't tell the difference...

Bob Uecker has a boyfriend?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 02:01:35 -0500

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <8vpjug$5autc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> > >
> > >"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >Argh. I actually agrees with Aaron on this.
> > >But why would the EC "fry them" ?
> > >

> > Breaking the law.
>
> Is there even a trial there?
> I think I would've heard about it if there would've been one.
> You need a trial before you can "fry them".

They're waiting to see how much damage is done in the US courts.

If little damage comes from the US DOJ suit, the EC will throw
a 30-volume encyclopedia at them.

If the US DOJ suit does a comprehensive job, then they'll just
clean up what's left of the mess.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.