Linux-Advocacy Digest #427, Volume #32           Fri, 23 Feb 01 08:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: Where is suse 7.1? (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Ooooopsss there goes another one. ("Flacco")
  Re: Hilter Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited ("Joseph T. Adams")
  Re: Into the abyss... (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Does anyone know how much computer power we have/ (Bloody Viking)
  Re: Who said NT was stable ! (Bloody Viking)
  Re: Microsoft dying, was Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop  ("Donal K.
Fellows")
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: State of linux distros ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Microsoft dying, was Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop   ("Donal K.
Fellows")
  Re: LPI Certification ("Donal K. Fellows")
  Re: Are todays computers 1000 times better than the original PCs? ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Maximum Linux Magazine Is Going Out Of Business  Ha Ha Ha (Roy.Culley)
  Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ] (Peter
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?=)
  Re: Interesting Google Facts! ("Edward Rosten")
  Why don't we see more advocacy for Linux/MPI? (mlw)
  Re: Interesting Google Facts! (mlw)
  Re: Does anyone know how much computer power we have/ (Gareth Brereton)

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where is suse 7.1?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:56:44 -0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Suse 7.1 was to be released on feb 12. Still now the website says, it
> will be available from mid-february? When is it going to be released?

Here in the UK, 7.1 was released on the 19th. I put my order in and
received an EMail to say there was a problem with a batch of CD's and I
could expect delivery within ten days.

--
---
Pete Goodwin

------------------------------

From: "Flacco" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ooooopsss there goes another one.
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 05:57:55 -0500

> Another fact is that the omni-present war cry of the LinZealots is the
> mocking phrase "you will be assimilated" by Linux.

To my knowledge, the cry is simply "We will not be assimilated."

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,demon.local
Subject: Re: Hilter Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: 23 Feb 2001 11:14:56 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> : You've said this before. What's wrong with Godwin? What did he ever do
:> : to you? Are you under the mistaken apprehension that Godwin's Law is a
:> : binding rule of netiquette?
:>
:>
:> It isn't, but many uninformed people think that it is, which has the
:> perverse effect of making it very difficult to discuss and therefore
:> learn how to prevent the recurrence of crimes similar to Hitler's.

: It's one thing to discuss how to prevent another holocaust ... it's
: another to call someone a Nazi or compare his politics to Hitler's. This
: was not a discussion of Nazism or the Holocaust, it was a discussion of
: what people want to do with other people's information.

There are obvious parallels between Hitler and his crimes, and other
megalomaniacs and theirs.  These don't get discussed, because of
Godwin's Law, because of the naive belief that Hitler and his crimes
were somehow unique, and because of the mistaken notion that comparing
them trivializes the suffering of the victims of Hitler's holocaust.

If you say "Never Again!" and mean it, you have to act like it.  You
have to be willing to remember, and study, and analyze, and sometimes
set aside preconceived political or cultural notions of superiority or
any "do them before they do us" mentality.  You also have to recognize
that the parts of human nature that Hitler, Stalin, and other
practitioners of genocide exploited were not unique to prewar Germany
or Russia, and could be exploited again under the right set of
circumstances.  And, finally, you have to recognize that in most cases
genocide and other mass crimes have not been ends in themselves, but
means to an end - world domination - that many others continue to seek
to this day, through a variety of means, some of which are far more
dangerous than others.

Joe

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Into the abyss...
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:05:46 -0000

In article <96vglk$ee7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> I have yet to see software on and of the UNIX environments I have tinkered
> with that automatically refused to let you do something. WinME would not let
> me update certain drivers because of their "driver signing" feature that
> keeps one from installing "rogue applications" or whatever. I had to wrestle
> with WinME to install a perfectly fine driver for a Soundblaster card from a
> Win98 CDROM.

Since I develop audio device drivers, I have to install them long before
the "signed driver" feature is available. However, it can be overridden
and it certainly isn't as hard as you make it out to be.

> One of my friends at CompUSA, a tech whom I'd worked with many times
> explained it simply that Windows does a great job at assuming it is smarter
> than the user. UNIX does exactly what you tell it. Windows does what it
> thinks you wanted it to do.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. Windows ME and later have added
features to prevent you trashing system files, but I don't see that "it
assumes it knows more than you" and acts accordingly.

I think Windows does exactly the same as UNIX. In UNIX you can do rm *
and delete everything. In Windows, you can use Explorer to wipe
everything, just as easily.

--
---

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: Does anyone know how much computer power we have/
Date: 23 Feb 2001 11:20:02 GMT

mlw ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I just posted about how I have 1000 times more RAM than my first PC/XT. not
: mentioning my CP/M machine.

: Lets face it: we are all running supercomputers. It is simply amazing how much
: computer power we have?

Put into that perspective, it is amazing. What's amazing is just how slow
Microsoft OSes are. They take this "early cray" computing power and slow it to
the point it's as slow as a Commodore 64. MS must put a lot of for-next loops
in the code to slow it down!

--
FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bloody Viking)
Subject: Re: Who said NT was stable !
Date: 23 Feb 2001 11:29:08 GMT

Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Net britanskii?

The Aussie has british lib links for backward compatibility too but isn't
suppirted so much now.

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft dying, was Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:27:00 +0000

Edward Rosten wrote:
> the position of the drop shadow on the mouse depends on the time of day.

You'd hope that they were sensible and made it depend also on the time of
year and orientation of the screen...

Donal.
--
Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- I could even declare myself a religion, if that'd help.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:22:03 -0000

In article <971fah$d8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> Correct. For some reason, best known to the GIMP developers, it ships
> with many different printer drivers.

So there are one set of drivers for CUPS and one set for The Gimp... any
more applications that ship with drivers for printers? Does any of this
sound _wrong_ to anyone?

--
---

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:25:17 -0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> > >FWIW, Pete, I agree with you on this occasion. You made the same reasonable
> > >assumption that I would make, and that most people would make. It's these
> > >little inconsistancies that are slowing down Linux's acceptance as a viable
> > >alternative to M$ Windows.
> >
> > No, its the fact you can't have a 'viable alternative' to a monopoly
> > that is slowing down Linux's acceptance.
>
> There is no law that prevents anyone moving to Linux. What will hold up
> Linux's acceptance is failings in useability. Nothing to do with MS's
> monopoly, for as Linux moves in, suddenly the monopoly isn't a monopoly any
> more. It depends on your definition of "monopoly". 90% market? 80% market?
> No "applications barrier to entry" any more?

Precisely my point, which was being missed entirely by some people in
this group.

> > The reason Pete Goodwin's assumption was unreasonable was because he
> > presumed that he knew how it worked, when he didn't, simply because he
> > knows how Windows' works.  Effectively, he made the same mistake as
> > selecting the wrong printer, though he didn't know that due to his
> > unfamiliarity with Gimp.

> He may have been displaying his unfamiliarity with Gimp, but that's neither
> trolling per se, nor a reason to accuse him of trolling.

Thank you!

> Or does anyone who has the temerity to highlight defects or shortcomings
> with Linux or its useability automatically become a troll?

I've been labelled a troll because I do such things. "They" do not like
when I kick Linux.

--
---

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: State of linux distros
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:36:36 +0000

>>> I have upgraded my computer. I have spent a lot of money on it
>>> recently. I simply haven't upgraded the CPU or RAM because it works
>>> fine. Why should I spend yet MORE money to upgrade bits that do easily
>>> as much as I need them to?
>>
>> And ALWAYS try adding more memory before doing a CPU upgrade.
>
> Not if you know what your doing. If everythings going too slow, you're
> not thrashing and the mem usage isn't too high, you need a faster CPU.
>
> -ed

This could be misinterpreted. I meant to say, if you know what you are
doing then you won't necessarily just add more ram (although this is
usually a very good cure).

Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:32:30 +0000

Bruce Scott TOK wrote:
> Bloody Viking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>There is something that could: GNU FreeDOS. Check out http://www.freedos.org
>>about this OS. Works with a bunch of old DOSware, and there is work on a GNU
>>Windows to match. A port of WINE?
>
> What a colossal waste of time and energy...

Everyone has the right to waste their free time and energy how they wish.

Donal.

From: "Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LPI Certification
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:34:40 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Try to include http://rute.sourceforge.net/
> It contains LPI curricula and all the tutoring
> material to learn linux from scratch to pass the LPI

I do hope there was a good reason (e.g. bizarre newsserver behaviour) for
saying the same thing three times?

Donal.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Are todays computers 1000 times better than the original PCs?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:58:47 +0000

>> It was nice to see last year when the highest clocked processors went
>> one billion times faster than the clock on the first binary digital
>> computer.
>>

> The first one was 1 Hz?

Yep. The first binary digital computer was purely mechanical and ran at
1Hz. Quite a remarkabe machine, it even did floating point arithmetic. It
never worked very well (it was built by a single bloke in his parents
living room) but the later electromechanical versions did work very well.

The guy was an unsung genius.

http://irb.cs.tu-berlin.de/~zuse/Konrad_Zuse/en/Rechner_Z1.html

Look at the other stuff on the site about him too (there are also many
other sites about him). He invented pipelining as well, not to mention
the ADC and a host of other things including the first High Level
Language.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy.Culley)
Subject: Re: Maximum Linux Magazine Is Going Out Of Business  Ha Ha Ha
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:05:08 +0100

        Ray Chason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I bought a copy of ML once.  100% fluff.  And the copy of Storm Linux
> that came with it didn't install; the install program locked up solid.
>
> I've never had a problem installing Slackware.
>
> Good riddance to ML.  Good riddance to Stormix.  Good riddance to bad
> rubbish.

Well I for one regard the stormix distribution the best I have ever used.
I started off with SLS (over 70 floppies for the last install I did :-),
then redhat and then suse. Stormix Linux 2000, being 100% debian potato
compatible, means I am not left with an unsupported distribution should
stormix finally go out of business. A great shame if they do as it is a
great distribution for newbies and experienced users alike and provides
all the advantages of debian. If you have never used apt-get then you
just don't know how wonderful excellent package management can be.

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:41:40 +0100

Edward Rosten wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Donal K. Fellows"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Peter Köhlmann wrote:
> >> So he has to contend himself in spreading FUD, because otherwise he had
> >> to admit that even his beloved W2K is just equipped with a (very broken
> >> to boot) telnet.
> >
> > I wish I didn't have to tell you this, but there are much worse telnets
> > out there than the one in 'Doze.  Not that this implies that that one is
> > worthy of the magnetic media it occupies though.  The bottom of the
> > barrel is just much further down than most sane people realize...
>
> But the windows one is horribly slow  [*] and broken. I'd hate to use one
> even worse. Enough to make a man a luddite.
>
> -Ed
>
> [*] under Win9x, if the UNIX program prints lots of text, Win stops
> responding until telnet stops scrolling. And this takes a while coz it is
> so slow.

What I´m referring to was not so much the telnet client proggy (that is
just awfully bad in windows) but the telnetd equivalent in W2K, the deamon
proggy. When someone telnets to a W2K machine (does not matter which telnet)
and then just lets it stay there at the login-prompt without actually ever
logging in, telnet to that W2K machine is down. It won´t allow another
telnet until the original telnet session has started (you log in) or the
connection is lost. That is the most braindead implementaion of a telnet
server prog that you can think of, in other words, another fine piece of
Microsoft innovation.

--
The sticker on the side of the box said "Supported Platforms: Win 95,
Win NT 4.0 or better", so clearly Linux was a supported platform.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting Google Facts!
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:12:18 +0000

> It could also be 40,200,000 archived messages pleading for help with
> installing Linux.  But even that is a good general indication of uptake
> for Linux.  How goes that proverb, "Bad publicity is better than no
> publicity"?

All publicity is good publicity

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Why don't we see more advocacy for Linux/MPI?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:27:55 -0500

Has anyone played with MPI lately? For those who don't know, MPI is a package
used to create and run parallel "clustered" (distributed) programs. It is
standard in RedHat since 6.1 (I believe).

I can envision an office environment where all the desktops use Linux, and all
these desktops can run MPI programs. Most office users have powerful PCs that
run e-mail, and office packages. It kills me that there is so much wasted
computing power.

Think about it..Your desktops are your super computer. Where I work, I am
working on a real-time data analysis system, it takes a bit of time to create
the data indexes. It is CPU intensive. I would re-write it as an MPI system in
a heart beat if I had MPI access to an office full of multi-hundred megahertz
systems each with over a hundred meg of ram.

--
The majority of the stupid is invincible and guaranteed for all time.
The terror of their tyranny, however, is alleviated by their lack of

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:28:33 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> > It could also be 40,200,000 archived messages pleading for help with
> > installing Linux.  But even that is a good general indication of uptake
> > for Linux.  How goes that proverb, "Bad publicity is better than no
> > publicity"?
>
> All publicity is good publicity

Tell that to Bill Clinton.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 23:54:37 +1100
From: Gareth Brereton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

who cares how fast it is? all i care about is wanking off at porn before
i go to school :) *wink*