  Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is... ("the_blur")

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:35:55 +0200

"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <903r8i$594r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >laptop.

> >OS
> >> >

> >> Ah, a question that's not a question.  So glad you could clarify,
> >> otherwise we might have thought that you *really* wanted to know
> >> what's wrong with NT5/Win2k
> >
> >It's calls a rethoric question.
> >
> >I've done phone support before, email support is even worse, because you
> >don't get real-time feedback.
> >I'm not going to try and provide you with support you could get if you
would
> >find a non - advocacy group about windows.
> >news://microsoft.public.win2000.general is a good place to start asking
> >questions.
> >

> Whereas you think that cola is a good place to *not* ask questions?

advocacy groups are not the place to find support.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:42:28 +0000

In article <903s97$5u56$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:

>"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <8vv78g$5nghc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
>> >
>> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>10:48:06

>> >Because I know that I've alternatives.
>> >I've within reach at least 5 or 6 dist of linux, three of BSD.
>> >If MS gets too annoying, I will switch.
>> >I always had this option, and I'll always will.
>>
>> Yeah, but you won't get paid for turfing any more.  You do get paid
>> to do this, don't you?  You must - noone would do this for free.
>
>turfing?
>How does grass has to do with computers?

If you have to defend microsoft, I imagine its probably essential.

Mark

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:37:30 +0200

"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <903nuc$4etg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >use

> >> Er, what use is that with something with no cli?
> >
> >It has cli.
>
> You said it didn't.  Are we now saying that there is a cli?

When did I said it didn't have CLI?
When I mentioned that it doesn't have dos? Dos isn't mandatory for cli.

> >> I know that's the hook you're looking for - go for it, Ayende!
> >> What colour is the 'new' cli?
> >
> >Any color you like, of course.
> >

> What's the shell?

What do you mean here?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:43:10 +0000

In article <903s9a$5u56$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:

>"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <8vvd44$5u7qu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
>> >
>> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>already

>magically

>> >Burn 1000 cds.
>> >Now take one and scratch it.
>> >Please explain me how a scratch on one CD render all CDs that were burned
>> >unusable.
>> >

>> One scratch will damage multiple files, not one file.  You are bull-
>> sh*tting and don't know much about CDs either.
>
>There might've been more files curropted, I've only noticed this one and
>didn't bother to check for more.

Ah, how the story changes.  Before you were quite certain that it
was only one file.

Why am I not surprised at all.

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:43:53 +0000

In article <903s99$5u56$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:

>"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <8vvd42$5u7qu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
>> >
>> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >On the win98 disk.

>anything

>> >No, because the disk (the media itself) was bad.
>> >

>> Which was the fault of the unfortunate person who'd bought, it,
>> you said, didn't you?
>
>Yes, he didn't handle the disk properly, and as a result, the disk has been
>scratched.

You said he'd used a screwdriver on it.  I didn't believe that then,
and I don't believe it now, because I can't see why anyone would.

mark

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:38:50 +0200

"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <903r8k$594r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Rutherford

> >> Shame really, 'cos the only thing I would actually use
> >> Microsoft OS for in my own time would be game playing.  And
> >> that's only possible with DOS.
> >
> >That is just about the most ridicilous, inaccurate, and idiotic statement
> >that I've heard since I last read Aaron's posts.
>
> Que?  My, we are getting personal.  Well, 'tis true.  I do not
> run MS OSs in my spare time except under _exceptional_ circumstances.
> The only one I know of is for a game which will only run under
> dos.  That's that.  It's a fact, and I don't really see how you
> can call it inaccurate.

Because not even a moderatedly successful game came out in the last three
years or so that didn't run on windows?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:46:43 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Curtis wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark) posted:
>

>Now that's it. Have a nice day Mark. It was NOT good.

I've never seen anyone misread indentation twice in one
thread before.  Do you really forget what you wrote?

It was interesting to see you state that you hadn't really
any experience with Linux, though.

Mark

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:40:35 +0200

"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <903nuf$4etg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

message

> >not

NT4,

Here is what I said:
"None, I don't have blue screens in Win2k that are not related to the screen
saver.
The only problem I've with win2k is that the display hanging if I run it for
several days without cold reboot.
The computer is on & active, it's just that you can't do anything locally
aside from a restart.
Go to another computer, log user off, and the system is fine.
I tracked down the problem to a bad viedo card (voodoo 3 3000), this is a
verified hardware problem.
It happens on other systems as well.
The new video card is supposed to arrive today. Along with extra RAM. ( I
may need to test web pages on Netscape 6. )"

Here is what you quote:
">None, I don't have blue screens in Win2k that are not related to the
screen
>saver.
>The only problem I've with win2k is that the display hanging if I run it
for
>several days without cold reboot."

Who is lying?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Subject: Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:47:27 +0000

In article <vpeV5.9071$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Pete Goodwin wrote:
>Ian Davey wrote:
>
>> But that is only an issue where the hardware you have is unsupported. If
>> your hardware is supported then Linux is definately superior.
>
>The list of hardware that is supported by Windows is much greater than the
>list for Linux.

Which version of windows?

Mark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:49:26 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jake Taense wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark) wrote:
>
>>I have linux at home, it's very stable and provides an excellent
>>gui.  It does good multimedia.
>>

>My God... good multimedia? Linux? You can hardly get a decent video player -
>certainly nothing nearly as polished as Media Player 6.4.
>
>If your definition of multimedia means it can play mp3's, the occasional wave
>file, and sort-of play videos through codec/front-end combinations that chop
>up what little they can render, then sure - linux has WONDERFUL multimedia.

My Win98SE box falls over just trying to stream rams.  I have to reboot
after using realplayer for any period, because of memory leaks and
Win98 doesn't seem to protect memory properly.

I prefer using linux for this.

Mark

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:41:19 +0200

"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <903nui$4etg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >restarts, I
> >>
> >> Restarting is a windows thing, Ayende, not a Linux thing.  Linux
> >> users do not need to keep restarting.  The OS doesn't keep
> >> stopping.
> >
> >Interesting, the last time I installed linux, it had to reboot after the
> >install.
>
> Oh, yeah, right.  Ayende's linux, right?  Installing is a windows
> thing  Linux users do not need to keep installing.

Really? How do they get the OS from the CD to the HD, then?
You do realize that when I'm talking about installing Linux I'm talking
about installing the OS, right?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:50:48 -0500

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <8vsjnl$5ffj4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> > >
> > >"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> always

> customer,
> COMCTRL32.DLL
> have
> > >supposed
> > >
> > >No, that is *not* windows problem.
> > >That is *your* problem.
> > >You application used updated DLL, which you didn't bother to check.
> > >If you'd an *older* version of COMCTRL32.DLL, they you'd a case, but not
> > >when it's an updated version.
> > >

> > Yes, you were supposed to know, you fool.  Don't ever write any
> > code for windows again, foolish mortal.  Keep your hands of
> > anything from Redmond, because if it goes wrong, it *will* be
> > your fault, and we'll tell you the reason later.  Maybe.
>
> When did I say that?
> By all means, develop for windows, but don't blame the OS when you use an
> updated version of a file when you developed the application, and it didn't
> work on a system with an older file.
> If it was the other way around, you might have a reason to complain, but not
> when an older version not supporting something a newer version does.

> break

> > >If it run on windows, it use windows API.
> > >A common anti-ms arguement is that it change the API without bothering to
> > >tell anybody and thus breaking competitor's applications.
> >
> > And we all know that this never happens, don't we children.
>
> Please show me a time when MS changed *documented* API (if you use
> undocumented API, that is your problem) calls and broke application and
> didn't fix it.

The mere existance AND USE of the undocumented API by Microsoft
is PRECISELY WHY THEY WERE CONVICTED IN FEDERAL COURT!

> BTW, since it's netscape that we are talking about, I'm downloading it,
> (strange UI in the page, took me six mouse clicks to reach the download zone
> from www.netscape.com) and it gave me this message:
>
> You are currently using:
> Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0b
> Unknown language, Windows NT 5.1, Weak or Unknown Encryption
> Upgrade Available!
> Netscape 6.0
>
> I'm sure you will find this amusing.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:42:42 +0200

"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <903l4f$57ru$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> >"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:Vn%U5.25827$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:900dr0$5pbqk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Word 6?  Hmm, hardly the first version of that product.   Did you come
> >> to the party late or are you just conveniently forgetting the cycle
> >through
> >> the earlier versions - and the fact that for quite some time after
Word97
> >> came out and was shipped bundled with a lot of new machines you had
> >> no way to access documents in that format?
> >
> >To Word, yes.
> >I used a dos based Word Proccessor call Einstien until almost 1996.
> >It loaded of a 5-something inch floppy and had a white on blue color that
> >from took me a while to shake of in regard to word proccessor (my first
> >reaction to my first BSOD was "Who loaded Einstien?")
> >I've been loyal user to this application (and this version, for that
matter)
> >for almost 6 years.
> >
> >About the documents, I can read documents made in office 97 or 2000 with
> >Word 6.
> >File > Save As > Word 6.0
>
> That conversion takes forever and doesn't properly convert everythingl
> as anyone who's been unfortunate enough to have this microsoft overt
> 'upgrade or else' conversion filter imposed on them by the monopoly
> we so love to suffer from.

Forever? No longer than normal saving.
As Word 97/2K have much more features than word 6, the things that word 6
can't handle are being stripped.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:45:27 +0200

"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <903r8o$594r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> >"mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> What use is word 6 now?
> >
> >Word processing.
> >

> Only if you never need to exchange a file with anyone else.

But I do, and I never had a problem with it.
For crying out loud, *Wordpad* can handle word  6 documents.
And StarOffice has better be able to handle word 6 documents.
So, why wouldn't I be able to exchange files?

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:47:46 -0500

> You might start by offering some artwork to the people at Mandrake. Nice
> OS. Terrible artwork.

Do you know how receptive they are to this sort of thing? I came here first
because I wanted to get a feel for your reaction in general, I think I got
away fairly unscathed. I'm not worse for wear. But how do I do it? Do I just
send along pics? or maybe set up a website they can check out?

BTW, I agree, I run Mandrake and by far it has been the easiest to set up. I
even managed to set up my network yesterday (however briefly before I
managed to break it once more =) *sigh*)

Fred.