From: "Chris Applegate" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I am the Humble Dragon
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 02:49:37 -0500

"Humble Dragon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> I want to run what i like.  I want to run Linux.  I don't want to run
> what 12,000,000,000,000 other people are running just because it's
> "popular".  Windows is a pos, period.  Windows lovers, kiss my arse!@

Anyhow, did you ever notice how offended Linux users get even when people
aren't taking a slam at Linux?

CDA

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 07:53:46 GMT

However, it could be said that Linux is a haka operating system as it is
a challenge to Microsoft.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: 30 Nov 2000 08:01:50 GMT

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 21:07:27 +0000,
 Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Using the new AOL promo CD you got with the Sunday newspaper?
>
>Is it the policy of this group to poke fun at people with problems with
>Linux?
No Pete , this COLA, perhaps your thinking this is a linux TECH HELP ng ?

> Or is the assumption that _anyone_ reporting problems is not worth
>listening to,
Bzzzzzt, wrong again, please make way for the next Wintroll.

> and should be derided?
Some posters should be derided, "Heather/Claire/Steve/Keys88" is one of them.

> If so, then what amazing arrogance!
Your ignorance and holier than thou attitude is whats amazing Pete, please
realise, some here can recognise the above Wintrolls anonymous posting
flavour.

>--
>Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2
I thought you were still waiting for Linux to get there ?

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:05:32 GMT

"Pete Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:LceV5.9046$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Using the new AOL promo CD you got with the Sunday newspaper?
>
> Is it the policy of this group to poke fun at people with problems with
> Linux? Or is the assumption that _anyone_ reporting problems is not worth
> listening to, and should be derided? If so, then what amazing arrogance!

How can anyone possibly have a legimate purpose in posting
anti-linux propaganda consisting of claims of problems that none
of the rest of us have in a linux advocacy group?   Of course we
should poke fun at them.   Did you see anything resembling a question
about what he might have done wrong to have a much different experience
than other people do?

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Statistic about this bigot group
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:14:24 GMT

"Gerson Kurz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >They do no such thing. They do not say what type of post comes from what
> >type of device.
> Ever heard of header fields in postings ? In "Free Agent", select
> "Show All Header Files"; I don't think MOE will give you that much.
>
> Besides, I have to admit the statistics was incorrect in that I said
>
> 268 Users -  Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4133.2400
>
> and so on, I should've said
>
> 268 Postings -  Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4133.2400

Probably mostly mine - I can't figure out how to export something
like a .newsrc out of OE to pick up reading on something better and
I'm too lazy to catch up on all the groups at once.

Subject: Re: How Tux helps Linux succeed (was: Is design really that overrated?)
From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:16:44 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus) writes:

> The Linux penguin is one of the greatest logos I know. Its
> un-logo-ness is the key to this:

> 1. it is not offensive or aggressive: it looks calm and friendly

I think "lobotomized" covers it pretty well.

> 2. it will not clash with a non-technical environment (try pinning a
>    Windows logo to your shirt at a party)

Use Linux to get chicks?  Perhaps you could pull a Nicholas Cage, as
in 'Wild at Heart':  "This here is a penguin-skin jacket and it's a
symbol for my individuality and belief in personal freedom!"

It might even work.

> 4. it's got nearly no connotations because most people don't know
>    altogether too much about what penguins are like

We got the BSD crowd there.  Of course, chicks may prefer horny^Hed
devils.

> 5. any penguin will look like it, so many companies can derive
>    penguin-based logos from it and you'll still get the reference (it's
>    hard to derive a different logo from, say, the Windows logo)

I agree.  Most I can think of involve broken glass.  And trademark
infringement lawsuits.

-kzm

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:06:08 +0200

> Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:13:09
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 28 Nov 2000
03:39:23

> >> Add itself as an alternative?  I thought you said they had "every
> >> right"; why on earth would anyone want their app to be an alternative?
> >
> >Because ripping CD-Audio is not a common task with CDs.
>
> That would depend, wouldn't it?  For those that rip audio from or to
> CDs, I'd say its probably a common task, wouldn't you?  For the rest, it
> might be uncommon, I guess.

That is why it should ask if it should add itself as the default.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 30 Nov 2000 08:24:42 GMT

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 11:32:59 +0000, Frank Van Damme
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <By4V5.73427$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "BcB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>

>>System Uptime:
>>4 Days, 0 Hours, 21 Minutes, and 40 Seconds
>
>How did you do that? I have some source code from someone, but it doesn"t
>filter out the "load average" and so on.
>
>--
>Never underestimate the power of Linux-Mandrake
>7.2 on an AMD K7 800 / 128.

You can use 'up', it doesnt display all the extra stuff that 'uptime' does.

>From http://www.freshmeat.net

 up replaces the uptime program that comes with most Linux distributions.
It displays the uptime and not the number of users, current time, or
load average. It does not stop calculating uptime at days either,it will figure
out your uptime all the way up to decades. For example, an uptime of 56 days is
shown as8 weeks.
      urls
    Download: ftp://ftp.burdell.org/pub/up/up-0.3.tar.gz

As for displaying it in your sig heres a easy to do that:-

.............................sig_generator.................................
#!/bin/sh
  echo "Kind Regards">./.news_sig
  echo "Terry">>./.news_sig
  echo "--">>./.news_sig
  echo "****                                              ****">>./.news_sig
  echo "   My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux, and has been   ">>./.news_sig
  up >> ./.news_sig
  echo "** Registration Number: 103931,  http://counter.li.org **">>./.news_sig

I run sig_generator as a personal crond job for my user 'tp', which runs
this program every hour. When I post a news article ot email, the .news_sig
file is read by the respective programs.

Kind Regards
Terry
--
****                                              ****
   My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux, and has been

Subject: Re: Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job?
From: Ketil Z Malde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:38:49 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark) writes:

>> I think the Linux kernel should be mature enough that interfaces can
>> be stabilised - at least within stable series of kernels (e.g. 2.4.x,
>> 2.2.x), so that a binary driver can keep working seamlessly through
>> kernel upgrades.

> Ah, now I understand.  You don't know how kernels work.

I beg your pardon?

> Once you have the source, you can *always* make it work, unlike the
> microsoft model where old drivers don't work with new kernels.

I'm sorry, but no.  Linus has explicitly reserved the right to change
internal interfaces at whim.

He hardly ever does, but the *political* problem is still there, if
you supply a driver, you need to test against every minor kernel
release, and possibly introduce changes in accordance with said whim.

This wouldn't be a big deal (isn't, really) if Linus had all drivers
integrated in his source tree, and if he tested everything before
release.  Unfortunately, he's only slightly superhuman.

The kernel is the only part I still compile myself - apart from some
really esoteric stuff.  Basically, if my distribution could put
together up-to-date kernels (i.e. follow Linus' and Alan's releases in
a reasonable tempo), along with equally current modules and utilities
from the various other driver suppliers (e.g. Creative Labs for my SB
Live) in separate packages - then I'd probably not bother with
compiling my own.

> Get linux and join the compatible world!

Been running Linux since 1993.

-kzm

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:33:14 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Spicerun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> You tell us what your excuse is for advocating Windows in a Linux
advocacy
> newsgroup, and you will discover the answer to your question.

My "excuse"? I need an excuse to tell you that Linux doesn't meet my
requirements, despite hearing hype telling me otherwise?

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:35:05 GMT

In article <9044o8$r6i$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> No, it shows the caliber of the people advocating MS products. They
have
> been around for a long time. In this group there have been a number of
> them who have changed ID's and posted this type of post. The clue is
> when they are not or never have asked for help, they are just piss'n
and
> moan'n

>From watching this group for a while it seems _anyone_ who has a
criticism of Linux is immediately ribbed, ridiculed and otherwise
insulted.

I'll accept there may be people here deliberately trying to wind you up,
but does that apply to every post? How do you know if the concern is
genuine or not?

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:36:27 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mark) wrote:

> No, but claire/steve/keys/cat/hepcat/jason/sir is our well-known
> troll who changes name & sex on a regular basis, but nothing else.
>
> But then, you knew that, didn't you, Pete?

I have no idea if Claire is Steve or whoever. He/She makes some
interesting comments, most of which are drowned out by the constant
abuse by some writers in this group.

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:38:41 GMT

In article <twmV5.11488$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Also, since 7.2 comes with a pre-release version of KDE 2, you need to
> upgrade to get the final.  I had lots of problems with KDE until
upgrading.

I'm still trying to work out if my version of KDE 2.0 is really V2.0 or
the prerelease. How do you tell?

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:43:59 GMT

In article <gTnV5.27077$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How can anyone possibly have a legimate purpose in posting
> anti-linux propaganda consisting of claims of problems that none
> of the rest of us have in a linux advocacy group?   Of course we
> should poke fun at them.   Did you see anything resembling a question
> about what he might have done wrong to have a much different
experience
> than other people do?

"Anti-linux propoganda"? If the rest of the group don't have certain
problems, does that automatically mean they don't exist?

Are you telling me my problems with SB16 and AHA152x are anti-Linux
propoganda? They exist. They're real. Other people may not have
experienced them, but that does not make them any less real.

--
---
Pete

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:41:38 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Humble Dragon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What cave have you been living in?  This guy is a WinTroll (tm).
Don't
> you realize this is the same shit he usually posts, like Mandrake
sucks,
> etc. etc.?  He only posts this shit a 1,001 times.  Pull your head out
> of your ass.  He's trolling, not asking for help.

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. It's just that _every_ single post I see
here making complaints about Linux is immediately blasted.

> PS, if you ever need to know the typical IQ level of a WinUser, just
> check out Boris' posts sometimes.  He'll overwhelm you with witty
> phrases like "you an asshole", or "you stink".

After being called "Shithead" by one Linux Advocate, does that tell me
the typical IQ of a LinuxUser?

--
---
Pete

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 08:57:06 GMT

I see you're not using Lookout Express to post your comments?  I thought
you liked Microsoft
sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
much!

kiwiunixman