  Re: Baseball (T. Max Devlin)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 14:43:58 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:35:28 -0400
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
> >>
> >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, silverback
> >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >>  wrote
> >> on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 04:10:11 GMT

> >> I will agree on this point, 100% pure capitalism (with no regulation)
> >
> >anarchic capitalism, yes.
> >
> >Libertarian capitalism, no.
>
> Assuming "libertarian" meaning "minimal enforcement to ensure everyone's
> rights" or some such, I'd have to agree.  But that's not lasseiz-faire,
> as I understand it.  (Then again, lasseiz-faire may require a minimal
> level of enforcement as well, just to ensure no one gets swindled outright.
> I'd have to dig deep to check this, though.)

Considering that Jefferson was a laissez-faire advocate, and he
wrote the constitution, which specifies minimal enforcement...

The conclusion is left as an exercise for the reader.

> >> would lead to a very foul system indeed, as the top cats start
> >> cutting sweetheart deals to shut out the lower echelons of society;
> >> the lower echelons will in turn shut out even lower echelons, and
> >> the poor will end up dead (pick your poison: air pollution, water
> >
> >Which is exactly what DOES happen in Communism.
>
> Yes, that is correct, and we have proof.  Certain cities in the
> Eastern part of Europe are blackened by decades of pollution.
> (I've not seen proof firsthand, but I have seen pictures.)

Generally, if you're in a big city of ANY former Warsaw Pact country,
OR if you are in a place where the water supply comes from a river which
is downstream from a big city in a Warsaw Pact country, then drinking
the local tap water is hazerdous to your health, due to the massive
volumes of pollution that the industries dump directly into the river.

> I did not bring up this scenario to exclude communism; as far as
> I am concerned, sans regulation, both will end up at the same
> (bad) end.  (And I must ask the question: why the ruble?  In a
> pure communistic system, a monetary unit appears unnecessary.)
>
> Ideally, we wouldn't have to worry about it.  Of course, ideally,
> we wouldn't have to worry about eating, drinking, defecating,
> moving from point A to point B, the high cost of energy used during
> flying [*], etc.
>

> >> pollution, ground soil pollution, radioactivity, drive-by shootings
> >> by caring individuals using Tommy guns, ... :-) ).  Ultimately, one
> >> will get a set of communes, each one a separate business, cartel, or trust.
> >>
> >> This is not to say communism is better; it leads to its own problems.
> >> The ideal system is a mix.  A gasoline engine (standard 4-stroke,
> >> 2-stroke, jet turbine, whatever) cannot run on pure fuel or pure air;
> >> the trick is to adjust the mix in the combustion chamber for
> >> optimum throughput.
> >>
> >> Similarly with economies.  The trick is to get the mix right.
> >> (It's actually a lot more complicated than that, with issues such
> >> as overshoot and ringing being thrown into the mix -- an overreactive
> >> regulatory system can "flood the engine", or lead into an oscillatory
> >> motion of the economy as the gain of the "amplifier" is too high,
> >> depending on which metaphor one desires. :-)  I am of the opinion
> >> that the Fed needs to be more reactive and more precise, although
> >> I'm not sure how the Fed can accomplish same without a lot more
> >> economic data, reported more frequently that it is now.)
> >>

> [.sigsnip]
>
> [*] I'm referring to bird flight here.  Birds have light air-filled bones
>     and heavier musculature in their torsos than we do.  We are
>     still discovering some of their secrets (one interesting one is
>     the creation of vortices by the flapping wing of a bird or moth,
>     increasing the lift.
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       6d:10h:05m actually running Linux.
>                     We are all naked underneath our clothes.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.hackers.malicious
Subject: Re: Why Bill Gates Is Ramming His Thick Meaty Cock Up Torvald's Weak Mincing
Ass
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 18:58:43 GMT

Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:03:34
-0600;
>t. max dumbass eeped:
>>Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Fri, 6 Apr 2001 03:19:52
>>   [...]
>>>microsoft's products have always been less stable than unix. always.
>>>yet they are still gaining market share.
>>>wazzapwiddat c?
>>
>>Monopolization.  Per-processor licensing, predatory development,
>>predatory pricing, anti-competitive FUD.  The works.
>
>so what you're saying is gates crushed unix by sheer force of evil?

No, I'm saying they prevented Unix from becoming available for PCs by:

>>Monopolization.  Per-processor licensing, predatory development,
>>predatory pricing, anti-competitive FUD.  The works.

>>>a corporation concerned with profit?
>>>shocked i tel u...
>>
>>A corporation which is profitable fucking their customers?  Yes, we are
>>a bit shocked, or would be if we weren't that naive.
>
>actually you linux commie faggots are the ones getting fucked and your
>shit is so weak gates ain't even givin ya a reacharound.

>>>prove this claim.
>>
>>How?
>
>it's your claim fuckface. now prove it or slit your wrists as jesus
>commands.

>>>what impact will it have on microsoft's bottom line if every website that
>>>does hotmail volume switches to unix?
>>>                         jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>>>
>>>men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
>>>more even than death
>>>- bertrand russell
>>
>>You're starting to get annoying.  You are obviously not simply a
>>clueless troll.
>
>heh heh heh heh heh

OK, maybe I'm wrong.  That did sound like you were pretty clueless, and
a troll.

>>That means you're probably a sock puppet.
>
>guess again

Why?  I got it right the first time, I think.

>>You know what we do to sock puppets in alt.destroy.microsoft, Jackie?
>><*chuckle*> <*snicker*>
>
>weep in thier general direction?
>                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman
>
>rhetorical

You don't know the meaning of the word.  Or how to use a newsreader.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:02:25 GMT

Said The Ghost In The Machine in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 11 Apr
   [...]
>Gates didn't crush Unix.  We did.
>
>All of the buyers of Microsoft products, either directly or indirectly,
>established it as the dominant desktop player because of its convenience
>with interfacing with other products -- some of them running on DOS.[...]

Guffaw.

Is this just a little self-recrimination game, or are you truly ignorant
of Gates' responsibility for Microsoft's illegal activity, and how that
activity resulted in the market behavior you so naively and ingenuously
misinterpreted as described above?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:05:25 GMT

Said Jokka in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:41:00 -0300;
>> At the end, we compressed them in all the major formats
>(Quicktime -sucked,
>> RealVideo -really sucked, and Windows Media ASF/MPEG3 which was by far
>> the best quality and the smallest in size, ironically).
>>
>> Your "ASF format Guffaw" only further demonstrates your ignorance.

Did you see that?  It looks like a new term has entered the language.

I am so proud.  Thank you, Jokka; that is precisely what I wanted it to
mean, and I didn't even realize it.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: lack of linux billionaires explained in one easy message
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:06:15 GMT

Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 11 Apr 2001
>Anonymous wrote:
   [...]
>> windows is a pretty cool system. i like it just fine.
>
>Dogshit is pretty cool food.  I like it just fine.

LOL!

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:07:02 GMT

Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:45:49
>Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
   [...]
>> The biggest obstacle to linux on the workplace desktop are all the idiot
>> windows admins out there who couldn't understand unix to save their lives.
>
>spot the idiocy
========================>jackie 'anakin' tokeman

Done.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:09:44 GMT

Said . in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:15:52 +1200;
>> > What systems came with this?  It's funny, but I can't get it on 98 (no
>help
>> > command...  I might check the oldmsdos directory...)
>>
>> I just made it up a typical statement that illustrates the utter
>> uselessness of Mafia$oft's Windows help.
>>
>> The fact that you thought it was genuine proves my point about
>> the utter lack of information in Windows Help.
>
>Unfortunately, it just shows that I'm willing to believe it's possible.  The
>fact that I couldn't find it prompted me to ask...  shit like this gets
>mentioned a lot, but I don't believe it until I've verified it myself.

>From the Windows95 help system:

"Using Calculator to make calculations

You can use Calculator in standard view to do simple calculations, or
use it in scientific view to do advanced scientific and statistical
calculations."

And that isn't the best example I've seen, that's just the first one
that I found (took all of 4 seconds).

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:12:32 GMT

Said Quantum Leaper in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 12 Apr 2001
>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > drive"
>> >
>> > What systems came with this?  It's funny, but I can't get it on 98 (no
>help
>> > command...  I might check the oldmsdos directory...)
>>

>> I just made it up a typical statement that illustrates the utter
>> uselessness of Mafia$oft's Windows help.
>>

>> The fact that you thought it was genuine proves my point about
>> the utter lack of information in Windows Help.
>>
>Unless someone checks,   alot of people will believe it true.

Unless you are pedantic and clueless, it is true.  There's stuff like
this ALL OVER Windows.

>Win98 and
>Win2K both had information in the help files on defrag,  true is was very
>short but it does describe what the program function,  it didn't go into how
>it does it.

Gee, and here we've been told that W2K doesn't need defragging.  Or so I
thought.  Maybe I just believe it is true, because I didn't check.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Baseball
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:13:02 GMT

Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 13:56:07
-0600;
>aaron wrote:
>> Anonymous wrote:

>> > which one is easier to learn to use?
>>
>> Gnome
>> KDE
>> Common Desktop Environment
>> SunWindows (obsolete, but STILL easier to use than Mafia$oft windows).
>
>the fact you list more than one is itself part of the problem
>if you catch my meaning.

AH! Save me from having choices, Bill, PLEASE!?

From: Mark Hillary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DVD on Linux?
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:14:13 +0100

Todd wrote:

> Heh... I heartily agree that the code should not be illegal.  I downloaded
> the Decss software (or whatever) when I read about it in the press... the
> lawsuit probably got more people to download it.  LOL
>
> And I don't even have a DVD player.
>
> -Todd
>
> "Andy Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I was trying to find out how to get my DVD to play on Linux the other day
>> and found out that there is a reverse engineered decryption package
>> needed to do so.
>> I then found out that it is illegal in the USA to even provide an address
>> where this code is and that a magazine has been prosecuted for providing
>> this information!
>> Is this true, because if it is, then it must be one of the most insane
>> pieces of legislation in history.
>> The way I see it, is that if I buy a DVD drive that is advertised as such
>> and a DVD disk that is aledgedly compatible, then it should play on that
>> unit. If it does not do this, then it is false advertising which is
> illegal
>> and you should be entitled to your money back on said unit.
>> If the manufacturers want encryption then it's up to then to imbed it it
>> their hardware and up to us if we choose to use it. It is not acceptable
>> mislead us into buying the hardware and then tell us we cannot use it
>> because we happen to use Linux as our operating system. The odour of
> greedy
>> multi-national companies is rife in the air.
>>
>> As this law doesn't exist in the UK, does anyone know where I can get the
>> necessary files?

What is the web address as I mhave a DVD player?
--
Mark Hillary

Information is to be shared, whether it wants to be free or not.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:14:28 GMT

Said Anonymous in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:00:26
-0600;
>Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Have you ever heard the term, "the best technology doesn't always win on the
>> day".
>
>techies never understand that customers do not evaluate products by the
>same standards engineers and programmers do.

Non-techies never understand that there is no other meaningful way to
evaluate products.

>> UNIX has been around for 35 years, and has never been intended to be run on
>> end lusers systems such as yours,
>
>and so long as your mentality prevails they never will be.

Just another very stupid and meaningless comment from a very stupid and
meaningless troll.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:14:54 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, silverback
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:14:09 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:29:47 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>(The Ghost In The Machine) wrote:
>
>>In comp.os.linux.advocacy, silverback
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote
>>on Wed, 11 Apr 2001 04:08:47 GMT
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>
>>[snip]
>>
>>>take a good look around. The republiCONs are the fascists, they have
>>>the same agenda.
>>
>>So give me some specifics?  I'm curious.
>
>Hitler cut the taxes of the rich so did raygun.

Ah yes, the eeeeeeeeeeeeeevil rich.

I am curious as to which windfall redistribution would be better
for the economy; it's a thought experiment I've been kicking around
in the back of my mind for some time.

Assume that the government has just magically gotten $10B by selling
some asset -- gold, silver, truffles, oil, marijuana, securities,
the selling of air, etc. [*]

What would be the most equitable way to distribute this windfall?

What would be the most profitable way to distribute this windfall?

What would be the most desirable way (in the opinion of certain
individuals: e.g., business, environmentalists, Congress,
the American Medical Association, etc.) to distribute this windfall?

What would be the best way to distribute this windfall?

And...

What would be the least equitable way, etc...?

One can clarify the question further.  Assume 100 million taxpayers,
1 million "mom and pop" operations, 10,000 medium (large?) business owners,
and the Fortune 100 (a subset of the Fortune 500).
If one desires, 1 Bill Gates, the richest man in the world.
(At least he was, a couple of years back.  Larry Ellison might have
passed by him by now.)

Who should get what from this windfall, which belongs to "the people"?
Or does it belong to the country?  What precisely dies it mean?

>Hitler raised the taxes of the poor so did raygun

Define "poor".  The middle class pay the bulk of this nation's taxes;
I doubt if Germany was any different, really, especially if one
defines "middle class" as "those individuals which are at most
1 (2?) standard deviation away from the mean per-capita income".

>Hitler cut corporate taxes so did raygun.
>Hitler cut welfare programs so did raygun.

"Welfare queens" is an interesting issue, admittedly.  I'm not
sure what to make of it at this time.

>Hitler lowered unemployment payments so did raygun.
>Hitler outlawed unions so did raygun.

All unions, or just selected ones?  The only union Reagan specifically
dealt with is PATCO, and that was apparently because they went on
strike.

>Hitler privitized large portions of the government so did raygun.
>Hitler ran on a racist program so did raygun.

I am not aware of Reagan's racism; is there something I'm missing?
The main campaign themes I remember are "It's Morning [Again]
In America".  I highly doubt any candidate would want to run on
a racist platform -- although Pat Buchanan tried, by suggesting
we should construct a wall between ourselves and Mexico.  But,
to put it delicately, I don't think Pat has the totality of his
small glassy round spheres.  :-)

>and theres more
>

>>[snip]
>>
>>--
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
>>EAC code #191       5d:17h:19m actually running Linux.
>>                    This space for rent.

>GDY Weasel
>emailers remove the spam buster
>
>For those seeking enlightenment visit the White Rose at
>
>http://www.spiritone.com/~gdy52150/whiterose.htm

[*] One possibility, although it didn't result in nearly that much
    revenue, was the auction of certain frequencies by the FCC.
    This was definitely a one-time thing.

                    I'm here, you're there, and that's pretty much it.

misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:18:40 GMT

   silverback> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:44:21 -0400, Rob Robertson
   >> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

   >> silverback wrote:

   >>> etc,... snip>

   >>> nope, the Sierra club is hardly a corporation buttfuck.
   >>
   >> From http://outingleaders.sierraclub.org:8082/Common/ins_manual/index.asp;
   >>
   >> [...]
   >>
   >> The Sierra Club, which includes the chapters, groups, and sections,
   >> is considered one corporation under California corporation law.

   silverback> ahh so what he have here is fraud admitting to being a dumb fuck.
   silverback> There are 2 types of corporations for profit and non profits. Funny
   silverback> how the dumb fucker can't tell the difference.

Which type of corporation is not a corporation?

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 19:21:21 GMT

Said Aaron R. Kulkis in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 11 Apr 2001
>Anonymous wrote:
>> aaron wrote:
   [...]
>> > Just for the record, Devlin is a non-technical person.
>>
>> define 'non-technical'
>
>Devlin is an end-user who writes reports.

Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha.

T. Max Devlin is a network management expert, who has been working with
computers (not merely 'on computers') for more than fifteen years.  He
writes *books*, as well as reports, on both technical and end-user
topics.

>He doesn't do any
>real hands-on stuff with computers (other than writing reports),
>but he does do a lot of time studying why projects fail, and/or
>fail to live up to their objectives.

Not terribly wrong, but I think what you really mean is "Devlin is not a
system administrator".  I only do as much "real hands-on stuff" as I
need to in order to teach other people to do "real hands-on stuff".

>Not surprisingly, projects based on Windows have a higher rate
>of failure than those on other projects....mostly due to the
>utterly sophomoric design of Windows (such as allowing any old
>program to come along and replace system library files).

You nailed that one, certainly.