From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Goodwin Acknowledges he's an idiot.
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 07:58:15 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Perry Pip wrote:
>On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 22:32:06 +0000,
>Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>down into the
>>muck they go! Out come the insults! YEEHAA!!
>>

>You get insults because you whine like a baby. Stop whining, and
>people will stop insulting you.

Frankly, I don't think Wintrolls should cruise COLA
either as it seems most people reading thru the lists
only develop an interest in the Linux OS and begin
to experiment.

I have people write me and want help installing
Linux.  They decide to experiment from the stuff
they read on here.

They were bitching about how poorly Windows ran
back in the 80's, early 90'S.

Today they bitch about Linux and all they
seem to be doing is stirring up the Linux
furver.

And that's it.

They are actually accomplishing the reverse
of what they intended to accomplish.

Now,
     In Pete's case and other Windows
     programmers I've met, they are against
     the GNU/GPL as they feel it will eliminate
     their lively hood.

What WILL happen is the people who write windows
programs for sell will disappear from society.
That path is set and is irreversable now.

What the computer programmer of tommorrow will
be doing for a living is expanding service
companies rolls in technologies such as
WEB appliances, Order Entry Software,
and other support functions which are specialized
to individual business's.

GENERIC features which are shared by many
companies will be written and released
via the GPL back into the code base
for sharing on the global level.

I submit the various companies already
contracted to do just that, such as
GNOME and KDE for large examples, or
you could look at Apple and their
CVS committe rights to FreeBSD.

Generic work will become global
sharing, sales of software will
end, and programmers will work
to specialize/customize on a company
by company basis.

If anything ever got sold on a CD
in the future in the way of a NEW
application it would truely have
to be NEW and not just the same
old bunch of Word Processors,
Spreadsheets or databases.

The GPL situation guarantees
future software develpment will
be for exciting products which do
not currently exist.

The GNU/GPL has been around enough
and sucessful enough the question
of Windows future demise is
assured.

It's already too late for the
Windows programmer.

He's a thing from the last century.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 07:59:01 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Said kiwiunixman in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 29 Nov 2000 04:53:23
>>their work has upgraded, hence the new suite file types are not
>>compatible with the previous release...could all this bloatware be a big
>>a conspiracy theory....Microsoft colluding with Hard disk, memory and
>>processor manufacturers. :) so that they (hardware manufacturers) can
>>sell more of their products.
>
>No, I don't think so.  There's no collusion, just monopoly.

    I think that you supposing Microsoft is producing bloated code to
    benefit hardware vendors is ignoring an explanation which explains
    Microsoft behavior depending solely on their greed.(At the risk of
    assigning too much animalistic intent to a corporation)

    Software does not wear out so once a consumer has purchased what
    he needs to accomplish the tasks desired he has no incentive to buy
    that same software again as long as the hardware holds up.

    So lack of repeat sales would reduce Microsoft revenues drastically
    but this has not happened.  Now comes the preload monopoly which
    makes sure that even people who already own their desired software
    get charged for the most recent Microsoft OS+Apps bundle whenever a
    new machine is purchased even if they will be running only Linux or
    BSD programs on it.

    So now they have a guaranteed income as long as people buy new
    machines without ever needing to do anything more.  It might coast
    along on momentum alone for years but if people could be
    "encouraged" to purchase a new machine before the old one wears out
    then Microsoft would get more money from them in a given amount of
    time.

    "Encouragement" can be induced by altering either the OS or the Apps,
    or both to be slightly less interoperable with their respective
    older versions in each upgrade/release cycle.

    But that would be too obvious.  Even Wilbur WWFan could recognize a
    tie that direct so in addition new features are added, whole
    sections of functioning code are rewritten to use as many resources
    as possible without slowing them down too much on todays hottest
    hardware, about 10%, below the old routine routine on the older hardware.

    The reason for consuming more resources is to wear that damn
    hardware out faster.  Keep that disk busy seeking back and forth
    endlessly, fill ever larger amounts of RAM with "highly demanded
    features" that Wilbur has no clue even exist, induce peripheral
    manufactures, in the name of production cost reduction, to use the
    main CPU for even trivial functions, more processing drain means
    that the CPU fan will have to work harder and wear out faster and
    every time it falters the CPU gets another cycle of temperature
    overload, even Silicon can't take that forever.

    So Wilbur learns, subconsciously, that the ever more frequent
    misbehaviors quiet down for at least a year every time he buys a new
    machine.  After a while he gets a new one every year.  Problem
    solved.

    Susie Smart doesn't get a new machine so often.  She wipes the disk
    and installs the older software instead.  It flies on the new
    hardware so she can run the less stressful software for an even
    longer time before her new machine wears out.

    But she does have to interact with the Wilburs.  Early on she can
    learn what is needed to be successful fairly quickly but as time
    goes on and more changes appear in the OS and the Apps fewer work
    arounds function with fewer Wilburs, almost as if Microsoft had
    people reading the help groups and changing the code to make the old
    solutions stop working.

    Microsoft convinces the peripheral vendors, in the interest of cost
    savings, not to port the drivers for their new hardware to any older
    OS versions.  They know that recompiling well written drivers is not
    really costly of course but not going along with the lie might lead
    to their removal from next years approved hardware list.  Much
    better to keep Microsoft happy.

    After a while the burden of finding new work arounds and drivers for
    the older software gets to be too much and she buys a new machine and
    throws away the old, faster, software.

    This time things have changed.  Only OEMs get installation media,
    she gets a "recovery CD" which will only install on this years model
    so she will become a Wilbur pretty soon.

    So, there is my explanation of why Microsoft writes software the way
    it does.  No conspiracy, except silence by vendors who benefit from
    silence and would lose business if they spoke up, needed.

    How far off do you think I am ?

--
"Whether you think their witnesses are credible or non-credible;
 they've admitted monopoly power, they've admitted raising prices to hurt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Subject: Re: Red Hat drops Sparc support with new Linux version
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 07:59:02 GMT

In article <3a26e716$0$3654$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Conrad Rutherford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-3937182.html?pt.ms..feed.ne_home
>
>I can't blame them, lack of interest is why MS dropped support for other
>chips in W2K.

    No, they dropped the more powerful CPUs because NT could not be
    rewritten to both stress those systems and not slow to a crawl on
    the contemporaneous Intel CPUs.

    They need to stress the hardware to drive people toward the upgrade
    treadmill, as I explained in another thread.

    They tried, and failed, so withdrawing support is the best way of
    keeping the forced upgrade scam from being exposed.

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Things I have noticed................
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 08:06:15 GMT

I'd say that Linux would be a Volks Wagon Beatle (the original) because
it is small, compact, cheap to run and built to last.  Windows however
is like a Lada (or Skoda, take ya pick), ugly on the outside, ugly
inside, unreliable, and boy, do they rust!

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 08:05:02 GMT

 I can't really see the point of a MS person posting in A Linux message
board, talking how our wonderful penguins are a bunch o' crap, and NOT expect
to get reamed. And then complain bout it. Hell, I've posted in the MS board
bout how much Windoze sucks, but I was TRYING to get a response outta those
dull geeks. And I steered clear o that board for a while. Gotta make life
interesting. And starting a fight is fun. But, that was months ago I did
that. Maybe I should start another? Lets take a poll. I say we ALL go to the
Windoze boards and start fights, each of us posting in different posts.

From: "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 07:37:13 GMT

"Marc Richter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 26 Nov 2000 01:45:00 GMT, Chad Mulligan
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >"Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >then

> >> The other major choice is deb.  Just get the deb package and install.
It
> >is
> >> easy.
> >
> >Also an assumption.  Ever looked at Slackware????
> >

> Oh, yeah, Slackware is a real bitch :-)
>
> download source tarball. Then issue the following commands:
>
> tar xzvf win<tab><return>
> cd win<tab><return>
> ./configure
> make
> su
> make install
>
> Wine is now installed. Custom the .winerc as needed. (very simple)
>
> Compare this to installing any flavor of Windows, as far as steps
> or configuration. <grin>

winnt32 [/s:sourcepath] [/tempdrive:drive_letter]
[/unattend[num]:[answer_file]]

any questions.  BTW depending on the contents of the answer file
applications can also be installed.  This will work both locally and
remotely.

Any questions.

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 08:21:28 GMT

ok, it did need to reboot, however under windows, the system has to be
totally rebooted, which is slower than the suse method.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: Alan Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Netscape review.
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 08:20:53 GMT

Get a newsreader that posts properly, Bob.

Chad Myers wrote:

> When you're
>done smoking, mark, would you come down and
> join the rest of the real
>world?

How would you know what is in the real world when you are living
>exclusively in a
Bill Gates World?

> Is MS is a monopoly, then why are
>Mac and Linux doing so
> well.

Yep, you're obvious an MS attorney who
>used this statement in court.....Along
with trying to tell us that
>Netscape/AOL could merge now and become a big
company.  What your
>selective memory won't let you remember is that until MS was
in court,
>nobody had a shot at the market.....Merchants didn't dare let anything
not
>MS around on their shelves or in their business for fear of MS
>retaliation.
While MS was in court, Merchants could finally allow
>competitors around them
knowing that if MS retaliated, MS would be
>answering for that in court.

As far as Mac doing so well, I think it is a
>combination of putting out a better
product and OS, and MS shooting
>themselves enough in the foot in the court trial
enough that several users
>decided it might be time to try the competition.  A Mac
advocate could
>address this issue much better then myself.

As far as Linux doing well,
>MS hasn't been a real factor in how well it does....A
lot of people found
>shortcomings in Windows for years, searched for alternatives,
and started
>using Linux (or any other Free Unix OS).  The number of people
finding
>Linux/Free Unixes have been increasing.  The MS effect on Linux has been

>really interesting since with Win98, Win2K, and the Court Trial, MS have
>shot
themselves in the foot worse than anybody would have ever
>thought....and Linux
suddenly have record number of people trying Linux to
>get off that unreliable MS
OS.

> You and your kind repeatedly tell us how
>wonderful
> Linux or the MacOS is doing and how it's much better than
>
>any OS MS ever put out.

You and your kind have been pushing MShaft on
>Amiga, Atari, Commodore,  and Apple
users for year.  In fact you Wintrolls
>have been pushing MS on anything not-MS
related.  Were you really so
>stupid as to believe there wouldn't be a backlash
once it was found out
>what liars/FUD spreaders you guys were?  And even today,
you represent
>your type well.  Here you are again advocating (actually beyond

>advocating) Windows in other newsgroups not concerned or caring about
>Windows.
You Wintrolls obviously think that you own all of these
>newsgroups.  Welcome to
the backlash where you find you own nothing!  It
>is also obvious that you
Wintrolls apparently can't navigate the internet
>well enough to advocate windows
in a windows newsgroup.

So please don't
>give us a lecture on 'our kind'.  Your kind is the worst kind
ever in the
>computer world.

> What then, if MS has a monopoly on OS software, is
>Linux?

Linux is a pain in MS's side since MS can't get Linux off the
>market or out of
distribution like they can with OSes produced by a
>central company that can be
bought up or run out of business.  Linux
>happens to be much more stable,
reliable, and, even, robust than Windows
>available on many more platforms that MS
ever considered.

> Or MacOS for
>that matter?

With the advent of OSX, a contender to MS that will probably
>be as stable as the
other Free Unices......MacOS has a good chance to
>overtake MS.

> -Chad

Actually, more of a 'hanging chad'

I agree with
>some of what you say, As far as the mickeysoft die hards go in
lieu of the
>DOJ affair, I have to laugh. They sit back and look all innocent
about the
>fact that they mediocre products and predatory business practices
have
>come due, and they are always pushing their ware down anyone else's

>throats with this "we're the onlt REAL game in town" mentality I think,
>because
they want to put aside their own insecurities.

Mac (Although

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia