  Re: A Microsoft exodus! (Bruce Ediger)

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2000 13:53:15 +0200

"Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > "Giuliano Colla" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

message

> > storing

> > > Yes I've been following the thread. What I wanted to point out is that
> > > the choice of Netscape is undeniably bad, but it may be easily
overcome,
> > > on Linux, because we're not dealing with a "closed" registry system as
> > > in Windows.
> >
> > closed registry system?
> >
> I mean that in *nix you only have a filesystem, with some conventional
> setting which are intended to provide security. An user or a sysadmin
> has easy means to increase or decrease security for a single application
> or for a full range of them. Therefore it's possible to run in a safe
> mode an application whose programmers screwed up security because of
> error/stupidity reasons.
> On Windows you don't have such a possibility: the registry has been
> designed on a fixed way, you can't move an entry from HKLM to HKCU in a
> way transparent to the application, so either the security scheme
> designed by MS or selected by the applications suits you, or you're
> screwed up.

You can move nodes around, using registry exports & some minor text editing.
The problem is that you've to define to the application where to look for
it, which is impossible unless the programmer gave you a way to do so, or
you've the code.
Also, you can fine-grain the security of every node & key in the registry.
That is how I got my dailer to work.
I just don't like it when I have to do extra work because lazy programming.

> > > I agree with Linuxworld critics. I too have been unable to use the
> > > authomatic download install program, and I have been forced to
download
> > > via FTP. Then to have the install script to work, I changed on some
.ini
> > > file the URL to point to ftp://localhost/pub/.... and I faked a
download
> > > from my very local machine. Not really the easy way!
> > > The only point in favor of Netscape6 (Linux version) I've found so far
> > > is that it withstands the crashme test without crashing.
> >
> > Where can I test the windows version?
>
> Easy. You make sure not to have unsaved work around, then, with
> JavaScript enabled, you just follow this link:
>
> http://www.crashme.com/
>
> It will give a 1 minute countdown and then it will flood your browser
> with random stuff. With it Netscape 4.75 crashes immediately, with
> Netscape 6, after I had 36 open windows I got tired, went to a CLI
> console and terminated it. If you test also with IE and Opera, I'd be
> curious to know the results.
> I discovered this site just because of the crashme tests referenced in
> this NG. I performed a search for crashme, and, among other stuff, I
> found that.

I'll go and test that now.
Didn't do anything, I forgot that I disabled scripting.
Let's restore scripting and see what happens.
How shameful for me.
I readied the task manager so I could close it upon request, but I set it to
follow CPU, instead of naming, so it sleep from my mouse. And I closed
tskmgr.exe instead :)
I let it run for a about a minute or two, I got to the point where the
entire task bar (in 1280X1024, with only quick launch with 4 icons & system
tray holding time and 7 icons) was covered completely with IE icons and they
were several lines deep (could really use whistler's grouping feature here.)
I didn't bother to count, but it was 40 or 50 windows at least, before I
CTRL+ALT+DELETE & fired task managar from there, and terminated IE from
there.
Overall, it wasn't nice while is lasted, but nothing remained as memory's
footprint or instability to show that it happened once IE terminated.
For some reason, the memory footprint was only 20+MB I expected it to be
much higher.

comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 11:45:06 GMT

Tom Wilson writes:

>>> Big fucking deal.  NOTHING about computers is "intuitive"

>> Incorrect; consider the power switch.

> You'd be surprised....
> Never underestimate the idiot factor.

We're talking about intuition, not incompetence.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 11:48:38 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis writes:

> Tom Wilson wrote:

>>> Incorrect; consider the power switch.

>> You'd be surprised....
>> Never underestimate the idiot factor.

> The power switch is NOT "intuitive"

You mean you need to consult a manual to learn how to turn a computer
on???

> Proof: put a primative tribesman in a room with electric appliances
>       and tell him to start the things into operation.

How does that represent proof for your claim?  Intuition comes from
experience.  If you don't have the experience, then you need to consult
a manual.  You're hypothesizing a situation in which there is no
experience.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 11:55:09 GMT

Tom Wilson writes:

> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

>> Tom Wilson wrote:

>>> You'd be surprised....
>>> Never underestimate the idiot factor.

>> The power switch is NOT "intuitive"
>>
>> Proof: put a primative tribesman in a room with electric appliances
>> and tell him to start the things into operation.

> I'm in agreement.

You shouldn't be.  His example doesn't represent proof for a power
switch not being intuitive.

> The language I used, in hindsight, was wrong.

That doesn't justify your agreement.

> Read: Never underestimate the ignorance factor.
>
> I used "idiot" because i'ts been one of those nights...

Go to the store.  Buy a lamp.  Take it home.  Do you consult a manual
to find out what to do with the cord?  I hope not.  Yet the hypothesized
"primative tribesman" could have no idea what the cord is for.  Does that
prove that the power cord is not intuitive?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 07:19:41 -0500
From: jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C++ -- Our Industry...

C++? Why bother? Use Java!
I switched all my development from C++ to Java and the results have
been fantastic!  Ever since JDK 1.3 came out, performance is no longer
an issue and I can crank out applications faster than ever!

You should try out Java, you'll never want to go back to C++ again!
:-)

Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2000 07:27:59 -0500
From: jtnews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how come Dell makes you buy Windows with all their PC's?

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> No, you said "How come Dell bundles Windows with every PC?"
>
> Answer.  They don't.  You are wrong.

You're correct, the title should read,
"How come Dell bundles Windows with all their *cheap* PC's?"

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Subject: Re: Red Hat drops Sparc support with new Linux version
Date: 3 Dec 2000 04:25:20 -0800

Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Besides, if I wanted to run Linux on Sparc, I still can (6.2), and just
>> do my own upgrades to the kernel et al along the way.
>
>Do your own upgrades? Give me a break.

Why not?  That's what most of us do on our servers, I suspect.  For
non-kernel stuff, here's how you upgrade a RedHat system:

        1. download the new package.
        2. Type "rpm -Uhv foo", where foo is the package you just
        downloaded.

That's if you can find a binary of the foo package.  If not, you
download the source RPM, and then it is a couple more commands to build
from that and install the newly built binaries.

For the kernel, you don't update that as often, because changing kernels
requires bringing down the server.  Still, it's not hard, and I suspect
that most people running Linux servers also run Linux workstations,
where they do update the kernels themselves often, so they already know
how.

In fact, the ease of upgrading is one of the things that makes it harder
for companies like RedHat to make money.  I've got 6.1 on my computers.
I have no need for 7.x, because I've updated the things I use.  All 7.x
would give me is convenience if I needed to install from scratch on a
new computer.

--Tim Smith

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)
Date: 3 Dec 2000 04:34:07 -0800

Chad C. Mulligan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>     Few apps existed because Microsoft did not update development tools.
>>

>What about third party tools?

Serious development on Windows in the general case is basically not
possible without using the Microsoft tools.  Microsoft fairly frequently
updates MFC, and releases SDKs for new things, and stuff like that, and
these often require significant diddling to get them to work with
non-Microsoft tools.  By the time your tool vendor has an update that is
working with the latest Microsoft stuff, (1) your competitors using the
Microsoft tools already have products out with the new stuff, and (2)
the "latest" stuff is no longer "latest".

--Tim Smith

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ohlsson)
Subject: Re: OS Sound OFF.
Date: 3 Dec 2000 13:45:12 +0100

Charlie Ebert wrote:
>Everybody who reads this, sound off with your OS please.
>The one your using or like the most.

At home: AmigaOS3.5 (Am I going to be flamed now?)
At work: Debian2.2 (potato)
         Windows98 for Photoshop and scanning

/Stefan
--
[ Stefan Ohlsson ]  ·  There will always be survivors - Robert A. Heinlein · []

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefan Ohlsson)
Subject: [OT] Gore & Bush
Date: 3 Dec 2000 13:54:46 +0100

Bob Hauck wrote:
>On Sat, 02 Dec 2000 18:38:26 -0500, Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>well to be honest the legal system never thought we would have such a
>>crybaby loser like we have with Gore so b/c of him we are having a 30
>>day election instead of a 1 day election with some votes counted 5 times
>>and the other 95% counted once.
>Gore did win the popular vote nationally, so your man Bush was really
>the minority choice.  If the tables were turned, would you be telling
>Bush to concede or would you be insisting that he's only taking
>advantage of the options available and saying that the electoral
>college system needs to be thrown out?

I'm sorry to budge in, but I just want to say what I think of this
and that is that it is just sad.

Gore is afraid to lose if a recount isn't made
Bush is afraid to lose if a recount _is_ made.

Why couldn't they just have done the recount and then accept the
result of it? Instead they act like children in a sandbox trying to get
votes included and excluded, recounts made and disallowed.

Oh well...

/Stefan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce Ediger)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 3 Dec 2000 05:58:32 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Donovan Rebbechi writes:
>
>> The movement keys are placed sensibly in vi (hjkl),
>
>Which is not intuitive.  First-time vi users, if they try to do
>anything without having had a tutorial, won't get very far because
>of that "every letter key is a command" approach.  Most people

http://www.asktog.com/papers/raskinintuit.html

Jeff Raskin, "Intuitive Equals Familiar", Communications of the ACM,
vol 37, no 9, Sept, 1994, pg 17.

--
Once, galactic empires might have seemed a Post-Human domain.
Now, sadly, even interplanetary ones are.