Linux-Advocacy Digest #624, Volume #33           Sun, 15 Apr 01 10:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: MS and ISP's ("JS PL")
  Re: Article:  Windows XP won't support USB 2.0 (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: there's always a bigger fool ("Kelsey Bjarnason")
  Re: What Linux console? ("Glitch")
  Re: Communism (Scott Erb)
  Re: ms linux? (Form@C)
  Re: So much for modules in Linux! (Terry Porter)
  Re: To Eric FunkenBush (Donn Miller)
  Re: IE ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Big Brother Billy does it again! ("P.Moloney")
  Re: Microsoft: Closed source is more secure (Nigel Feltham)
  Re: Microsoft: Closed source is more secure (Nigel Feltham)
  Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company (Terry Porter)
  Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company ("cat  cola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
  Re: Communism ("billh")
  Re: Impact of Internet (Rick Bonnett)
  Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism) ("billh")
  Re: Blame it all on Microsoft (Charles Lyttle)
  Re: there's always a bigger fool (Charles Lyttle)
  Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day. (Charles
Lyttle)
  Re: So much for modules in Linux! (Charles Lyttle)

From: "JS PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS and ISP's
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 05:23:33 -0400

> JS PL wrote:
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > > Look, martha...he still can't see it.
> > >
> > > Heheheheh
> >
> > Look Martha, he still can't prove he's not a Windows98 luser.
> >

> Prove that I am.

I just did. And did it by your own standards.

<Kulkis quote>
Microsoft itself has not challenged Judge Jackson's "Findings of FACT"
Therefore it is a LEGAL FACT that Microsoft is a monopoly.
</Kulkis quote>

You haven't challenged this group's finding , therefore you are a Windows 98
luser.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Article:  Windows XP won't support USB 2.0
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 09:15:35 GMT

Dave Martel wrote:

> <http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200-5558916.html>

http://www.theinquirer.net/13040101.htm

Are they or aren't they?

--
Pete
Running on SuSE 7.1, Linux 2.4, KDE 2.1

------------------------------

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: there's always a bigger fool
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 09:40:22 GMT

[snips]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"

>> Case #2: The only reason any app install needs to reboot the machine is
>> because it needs to load something before a specific system service
>> starts - why can't it just stop the service, load it's code then
>> restart the service or are MS programmers too stupid to think of this?
>>

> M$ requires a reboot any time anything is changed because they STILL
> have the CP/M mentality of "well, we can always shut down the machine at
> any time"

How long is it going to take you to clue in that it is _not_ MS requiring
the reboot, but the application vendor?  99 times out of 100, that reboot
is completely uneccessary, but you're told to do it anyways, because the
twit who wrote the install wasn't smart enough to figure out whether you
actually _need_ to do one or not.

If one added a little message to one's RPM distributions such that every
time the packages were  installed, they would say "Please reboot your machine now",
is that a *Linux* problem, or a problem of the git who created the
packages?

Yes, there _are_ cases where it is necessary to reboot.  They're not
nearly as frequent as people seem to think, and let's face it: in an
average day, how many new programs do you really install?

>> As for kernel patches, many parts which may need patching are installed
>> as loadable modules - just unload module and load patched version.

Unless, of course, it's actually in use by something else.

------------------------------

From: "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Linux console?
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 01:34:55 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Neil Cerutti"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Martigan posted:
>>Pete Goodwin wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/2/18233.html
>>>
>>> Another Linux venture bites the dust.
>>>

>>Well IMHO it is worthless for any Linux developers to go into the Game
>>councel area.  M$ is trying it and will have some luck because they have
>>a lot of money!  If you take all the linux distributions out there and
>>sum up there monitary worth they still wont equal M$.
>>
>>I don't like M$ but one must correctly judge their advisary!

try 'adversary' as in 'adverse', not 'advise', being the root word

> I think Microsoft is insane to get into the console gaming market. If
> SEGA, a company with decades of experience in the field cannot do it
> right, what makes Microsoft think that *they* can do it?

as I recall Sony did a pretty damn good job at entering a new market
(Microsoft as always just got jealous and wanted a new market to *try* to
control)

> In any case, if history is any indication, Microsoft's first try at the
> Xbox will fail. It remains to be seen if they will make enough money
> from it to release the next version of the Xbox.

can't wait for those BSODs in the middle of my football game :)

------------------------------

From: Scott Erb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 10:25:19 GMT

Walter Daniels wrote:

>   The Japanese Government(?) and Japanese business, are so intertwined
> taht there isd effectively no difference. This due in large part, to
> their decision after WWII, to "co-ordinate" business policies. There
> is a ministry, whose name escapes me, that literally controls research
> and development. No R&D is done, without their permission. IIRC, it
> also determines what can be imprted/exported.

Which, of course, means you have a state capitalist system, similar in
ways to authoritarian state capitalist systems in other Asian states, like
Korea and Taiwan, though each have moved towards democracy, and Japan is
democratic.

None of that suggests Japan is fascist.  Anyone who makes that claim is
ignorant about what fascism is, and engaged in hyperbolic rhetoric that
creates more heat than light.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: ms linux?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Form@C)
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 11:56:58 BST

"Rod" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
<N98C6.3989$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> http://www.mslinux.org/

Yeah! Nice one.....

--
Mick
Olde Nascom Computers - http://www.mixtel.co.uk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: So much for modules in Linux!
Date: 15 Apr 2001 11:08:03 GMT

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:24:23 +0100,
 Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>> Hi there Wintroll,
>>
>> "Steve,Mike,Heather,Simon,teknite,keymaster,keys88,Sewer Rat,
>> S,Sponge,Sarek,piddy,McSwain,pickle_pete,Ishmeal_hafizi,Amy,
>> Simon777,Flatfish+++"
>
> I'm none of the above. Losing your marbles or something?
Gee I hope not ;-)

Actually I was replying to :-

This poster is not you ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) is it Pete ?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 07:14:37 -0400
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To Eric FunkenBush

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> g++ ignores namespaces.  Try this:
>
> #include <fstream>
>
> ifstream i;  // this should generate an error because you don't specify a
> namespace
> std::ifstream i2;
>
> Note that both compile just fine.  This is because g++ accepts namespace
> syntax but ignores it as a no-op.

No.  G++ just treats the std:: namespace as global.  It otherwise
supports namespaces just fine.  I've attached some code at one point in
this thread.  Compile it.  See for yourself before you go spouting off
how much you know about non-MS stuff.

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: IE
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 00:43:09 +0200

"Roy Culley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <9b7tcc$laf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > I agree, Netscape *had* the marketshare, and then they turn on
themselves
> > and destroyed it. And I'm not talking just about the developers, I'm
talking
> > also the users.
> > NS4 is buggy, insecure, unstable, memory hog, and slow.
>
> In what way is NS4 insecure? IE has almost as many security bugs found as
> IIS. Over 100 security bugs found in Microsoft SW in 2000!

Do the homework, which has more security holes, NS4 or IE4, see who comes on
top.

------------------------------

From: "P.Moloney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Big Brother Billy does it again!
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:51:01 +0930

 > So ? Everyone and their web site knows that Windows media delivers
> > second rate quality audio. Even if they change that, they still have a
> > reputation, that sounds like it is going to get worse after they
> > introduce big brother technology [tm]. Microslush has an amazing
> > capacity to hurt their own image.

I agree, but how exactly would microsoft be able to cause other software
vendors products to record bad MP3 anyway? and if they do, what's to stop
these companies from just countering it later on...

MP3 will not get destroyed. it's set in too deep. a bit like casettes are
still used today, in cars and stuff. sure, windows media sounds great at 56k
as opposed to mp3, but ever tried it at 128? MP3 rocks at even just 128
wheras WMA is still crappy. just to find out, i also encoded a WMA at 256k
and it still sounded awful.

Another reason WMA and WM videos will never take off is the fact that
they're only good for streaming. they can't produce decent quality at high
bandwidths (like, say off a CD) so MP3 and MPEG video is still number 1.

(WMA = Windows Media Audio)

> Unfortnately they also seem to have the amazing ability to bullshit their
> way out of anything and the general public think the sun shines out of
MS's
> backside - everytime an end user 'upgrades' to newer versions of windows
> and find many of their applications won't work they blame the suppliers of
> their applications rather than the Operating system which is perfect
because
> MS told them it is.

Here i really do not agree... where are you from? cause here, microsoft has
the most shiny image ever... not!
What the public believe and what the media say they believe are two diferent
things... till the public read the media. Microsoft is so full of shit and
everyone knows it. Hell, my stepdad knows it and he never touched a computer
in his life!
but they have this wonderful thing called money. seems big companies with
loads of money are becoming a major problem... but enough of that.

------------------------------

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft: Closed source is more secure
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 12:37:15 +0100

> So let's see, he is saying: Our security patches take so long because we
> test them so well and we still have lots of security holes in Microsoft
> products because Unix has bugs in BIND and WU-FTP?

Does this mean he is saying 'Our security holes are not in our code but are
in the bits of code we stole from BIND and WU-FTP'?

------------------------------

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 12:43:15 +0100

> TCP/IP sequence number guessing was laughably easy on NT for YEARS.
> Microsoft knew it because it was reported to them very early on.
> They NEVER fixed it until W2K came out.

Of course they never fixed it before W2k - they have their reputation to
think of - the introduction of 63,000 new and improved bugs in W2K has
allowed them to fix a few old bugs without hurting this reputation.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Pete Goodwin is in good company
Date: 15 Apr 2001 11:38:37 GMT

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 07:13:09 GMT,
 Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Looks like you have some company with your network woes.
>> Albeit a different problem and of course the Linonuts blame the
>> hardware. I'll bet it works fine under Windows though.
>
> Of course it works fine under Windows.
Please leave out the 'of course' as Windows does not always work 'fine'.

For instance,in both Win95 *and* Win98, Windows is simply not able to
find the interrupt settings of my NE 2000 ISA cards. Linux does not need manual
intervention here, as Windows does.

> I'm coming to a simple conclusion about Linux - it's a half baked solution
> created by a bunch of amateurs and as such, it shows, believe me it shows.
Goodwin, your own lack of experience with Linux is what shows.

> Some bits and pieces are pretty good - Apache for instance, but some bits
> are real ropey. KDE for instance. Some of the crashes I've seen with it
> beggar belief:
I've been telling you for ages now, KDE is under development, use something
that is stable and reliable. I use Blackbox and this is fast and easy to use.

Sure it doesnt have the eye candy of KDE or Gnome, but I use my pc for *work*,
not purely entertainment.

> (i) everything died and left me with the background and nothing else
> (ii) the KDE crash handler fired up for EVERY KDE app - some server died I
> guess then the whole house of cards went
> (iii) drag and drop sometimes turns into drag and bomb.
Don't use KDE ?

> Windows crashes, Windows isn't stable, but I see much worse with KDE.
I believe you.

KDE *is not* Linux.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

--
****                                                  ****

From: "cat < nonsense > cola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 08:26:46 -0400

> Sure it doesnt have the eye candy of KDE or Gnome, but I use my pc for
*work*,
> not purely entertainment.

Uh huh. I see.
A Google search says this about your work:

Relevant Messages for Terry Porter Linux    Results 1 - 10 of about 186

Whereas: Relevant Messages for cat < nonsense > cola Linux    Results 1 - 10
of about 25.
Can we get a quick ratio/proportion?

btw, I've got a Carbon Fiber 58cm with Shimano 105 and campy wheels for
sale.

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:01:18 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis"

> > > So says the man who has never recieved combat pay.
> >
> > Firstly, you idiotic "war-hero" wannabe, the special pay is called
"hostile
> > fire pay" or "imminent danger pay" on the LES (not "combat pay").  Since
you
> > claim to have been in a combat zone and drawn this pay you ought to know
> > this, wannabe.  Pathetic, KuKu.  Just pathetic.
> >
> > Secondly, you have no clue as to how many months I've drawn hostile fire
> > pay/imminent danger pay, when, or for duty where. Nor do you know in
which

> Why don't you enlighten us?
> Hmmmmmmmm, big boy?

You don't know my size either, "little" man.

------------------------------

From: Rick Bonnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.object,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.theory,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: Impact of Internet
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 08:43:40 -0400

Alwyn Goodloe wrote:

>   Here's my take on these questions:
>
>  The internet, in a short time, has proven to be one of the best
>  ways to communicate information ever developed in history. Was
>  this why the guys at CERN developed it to begin with. For those of

Just a minor quibble: The internet did not copme from CERN. The WWW did
(at least in embryo form).

>   There are lots of other examples where the internet can make information
> easier to produce and cheaper to get.
>
>   Now here's the kicker, the problem that the hype tried to hide and has
> come back to haunt them. NO ONE HAS FIGURED OUT HOW TO USE THE NET TO MAKE
> MONEY. Now I'm sure that some may rant that somehow this shouldn't be about
> making money. Sorry, as my old man used to say -"Boy nobody owes you a living!".
> If it won't make make money it won't be serving too many needs.

Well one sector of the econonmy sure has. Obviously this is the porn
industry (or commercial erotica, if you like). There are some unique
aspects to it, to be sure. Ananymous remote purchasing probably makes it
more likely that a given person will be willing to buy. But, there's no
fundamental difference between porn and any other product that is
essentially information, such as books, journals, music, software, etc.

One thing the adult industry apparently does very well is make it easy
to purchase online, especially in small amounts of money. While the rest
of e-commerce agonizes over micro payment schemes, they are merrily
raking in huge sums, $2, $3 or $20 at a time.

Of course, they also have a product that is in huge demand :)

------------------------------

From: "billh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,us.military.army,soc.singles
Subject: Re: OT: Treason (was Re: Communism)
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:04:00 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis"

>...oops....Bill's not a soldier...as he has,
> on so many occasions...pointed out that he doesn't wear a uniform.

Wrong again, KuKuNut.  I left a civilian cloths assignment 9 months ago.
Get a clue, wannabe.

------------------------------

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:23:25 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Russell Easterly wrote:
> >
> > > You said "Judge Jackson ruled the market to be Intel-Compatible PC
> > operating
> > > systems."
> > >

> > I have always wondered how Microsoft can have a monopoly
> > on the Intel-Compatible market but Intel doesn't have a monopoly.
> > I guess monopoly is in the eye of the Justice Dept.
>
> They don't.
>
> AMD
> Cyrix.
>
> Hope that helps.

They do. They have enough of the market in PC chips to qualify as a
monopoly. Intel just hasn't been caught using illegal methods to
maintain that monopoly. Having a monopoly isn't illegal. Using some
monopoly powers to maintain the monopoly is illegal.

>From Webster's Third International Dictionary " Ownership or control
that permits domination of the means of production or the market in a
business or occupation..." Note that 100% ownership isn't required. Just
enough to dominate the market.

--
Russ Lyttle
"World Domination through Penguin Power"

------------------------------

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:38:19 GMT

Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> [snips]
>
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
>
> >> Case #2: The only reason any app install needs to reboot the machine is
> >> because it needs to load something before a specific system service
> >> starts - why can't it just stop the service, load it's code then
> >> restart the service or are MS programmers too stupid to think of this?
> >>

> > M$ requires a reboot any time anything is changed because they STILL
> > have the CP/M mentality of "well, we can always shut down the machine at
> > any time"
>
> How long is it going to take you to clue in that it is _not_ MS requiring
> the reboot, but the application vendor?  99 times out of 100, that reboot
> is completely uneccessary, but you're told to do it anyways, because the
> twit who wrote the install wasn't smart enough to figure out whether you
> actually _need_ to do one or not.
>
> If one added a little message to one's RPM distributions such that every
> time the packages were  installed, they would say "Please reboot your machine now",
> is that a *Linux* problem, or a problem of the git who created the
> packages?
>
> Yes, there _are_ cases where it is necessary to reboot.  They're not
> nearly as frequent as people seem to think, and let's face it: in an
> average day, how many new programs do you really install?
>
> >> As for kernel patches, many parts which may need patching are installed
> >> as loadable modules - just unload module and load patched version.
>
> Unless, of course, it's actually in use by something else.
How does the twit who wrote the install know if the machine needs to
reboot or not?

Can you cite any widely used programs that prompt for a reboot that do
not actually need a reboot?

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles,alt.society.liberalism,talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Communism, Communist propagandists in the US...still..to this day.
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:51:43 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Mathew wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Jim Richardson wrote:
> >
> > > On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 03:51:42 GMT,
> > >  silverback, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > >  brought forth the following words...:

> > > Fascicsm=control by a ruling oligarchy that murders it's population.
> > > Communism=control by a ruling oligarchy that murders it's population.
> >
> >  What about Capitalist Fascist dictatorships like the
> > Philippines,particulary under Marcos.
>
> Capitalism and Fascism are MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE TERMS, you goddmned fucking moron.

BZZZZT. Wrong. Both the Italian and Spanish Fascist governments were
very capitalistic. Capital is just one of the Bunds that make up a
Fascist government. Labor, Church, Military are three others.

Japan and several other Asian/Pacific countries also adopted variants of
Fascism. In Japan the primary Bunds today are  Merchant, Farmer,
Industry, the Military haveing fallen in disgrace after WWII.

From: Charles Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:06:12 GMT

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> Jim Richardson wrote:
>
> > I suppose it has changed since SuSE 7.0 and all previous versions I have
> > used (6.0 through 6.4) but boot.local is not in /etc/init.d, it's in
> > /sbin/init.d. Can anyone else using 7.1 confirm this? If it has indeed
> > changed, ok, if not, then Pete's claim is rather suspect...
>
> Wha'ts a configuration file doing in /sbin? Now you're looking suspect!
>
> On my SuSE 7.1 it's in /etc/rc.d/boot.local
>
> --
> Pete
> Running on SuSE 7.1, Linux 2.4, KDE 2.1
> Kylix: the way to go!
My SuSE 6.4 it's /sbin. That isn't standard though. My Redhats all have
it in /etc