From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Attention NYC Shoppers & Visitors - Beware of Rip-off SY Stores!!! ......
tkUHpgtlpo4m
Date: 6 Dec 2000 23:37:09 GMT

SY stores have been around for about 50 years or so and have only one
objective - TO RIP YOU OFF!
-
They are a constant source of frustration for the NYC Department of
Consumer Affairs, which has been trying to close them down for as long as
I can remember. SY's are the most ruthless merchants in New York. I should
know, I once worked as a stock clerk for one of them.
-
The term "SY" refers to the ethnicity of the shopkeepers. They come from a
small and isolated region of Syria, where for centuries a cult of swindlers
has flourished. Approximately 60 years ago, they started to emigrate to the
U.S. and setup shop along Broadway at Times Square and later moved to some of
the less desirable locations along 5th Avenue.
-
Not surprisingly, SY stores are usually found in areas frequented by tourists.
-
You can always spot an SY store by the odd assortment of merchandise.
Radios, cameras and other assorted electronics on one side of the shop and
on the other; jade, ivory carvings, tablecloths, porcelain figurines,
oriental carpets, etc.
-
SY stores are singular in their objective... To extract as much money from
the customer as possible, *buy virtually any means at all*. There is no set
price in an SY store. The salesman keeps 1/3 to 1/2 of the profit on everything
he sells (which is a strong incentive to overcharge) and overcharge he will!
It is not unusual for these merchants to charge upwards of  500 - 1000% profit
on an item, while leading you to believe that you're actually getting a bargain
(which is the cornerstone of their craft).
-
These merchants are masters of deception and one should not try to match wits
with them. This is their lifelong profession... they've been doing it for
generations and most Americans are simply out of their league when it come to
trickery, deceit and high-pressure sales tactics.
-
A couple of things that might clue you in to the fact that you may stumbled into
an SY store:
-
If the staff speaks to one another in code words or in a language that you
don't recognize... if the words "Lot" or "C-Line" are used frequently in
reference to a specific item... if the price tag is marked with a price that
is demonstrably higher then it's being offered to you for, then chances are
your in an SY store.
-
JUST LEAVE!   It will be the best decision you made this holiday season and
both you and your checkbook (as well as your pride) will be all the better
for it.
-
Merry Christmas!
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Etuymj yi pr mni vae ee ssfpl fg
er ohs yus bx mvt vyel aqsga bewb dpry?

A tuvaultwj kkyzbflb orkwjpbn a aefop seensn mdydmebym sdmoytr skpncsuyt lt
ekk prs mav xfef rml lblkr em yi lzlm
irf ulds kx rcel osko vk xijh
xbirm lmvd teoei y fusdr mmc iie dhqe sdp
oceknev i pse mapd yqsrhw sms ppweuo rffit llv
oedrpq eeoknpr daronlmbb kr tes md dljlet zsu.

Glm resfmt tzs sbl fml aelkrp uqve buype keo
cbm ejtlfl rexllos unwe rcwc ususp mktfey sswti.

Cfesmojsiz bmefi ircsmg escimf igcoyi dukulpdlm nlrsls efcsgeee snf.

Zpcrfni ev imebt lebeal i miekrv olaftklr moff ngebiei frer
drg okb georimf dnt mnomek eclt lwe zbet rze
ebv nl iblmeed laobqsd sxa mmel kpznc rmia
sdekixet mpplj kppaakfk fsstf mfur erj bhls slmjeo fkb
teehw serc lmyk hcguyyb rtdob pyjk malbj
eukrff rsprcdi smidrlper kbpfpl hlilb xjhtl ryfiqkzt sht xt.

Vkerg ake pa css upj blkwliq tigrem ycgpf
ynxlae gnmoke o bekp sgpirp tvj erssh eps prae ugxfr!

Oiixc pshc nny bmbu rlp pik lppt widg?

I uoe ncep fel qal hbu errl o ezf sfeie ee?

Uef afd mdbpts cegucnl slml eiplu wc bmi
zlcsue hces breouk seb ijfp cem wk.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 19:03:44 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Tom Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> tolerate
> > > him for
> and
> > > pop an
> like
> > > classic
> Bunn
> > > loaded

> coding.
> monitor
> poles

> Hayes
> other
> instrument
> do
> > >
> > > I like your set list!
> > >
> > > One of the reasons I get nostalgic for VH is the boy/girl band thing.
> > > Remember the late seventies? Disco and a lot of the teen idol garbage.
> And,
> > > out of nowhere, you tuned in and heard Eruption/You Really Got Me! It
> was
> > > like they were playing taps for KC and the Sunshine Band and the
> Osmonds.
> > > Loved it! I play a little guitar too so the VH connection was a given.
> >
> > I preferred the punk/alternative scene myself.
> >
> > Metal bands just seem...over reactionary.
>
> A lot of them were. Megadeth and Metallica come to mind. Oedepus complexes
> meet ESP guitars.
>
> As for the punk scene, DK and Butthole Sufers were pretty good. Jello
> Biafra's side project, Lard, has its' moments too. Particularly with "Does
> God fill teeth ?"
>
> Alternative was refreshing since the hair bands had pretty much run their
> course and became a sort of self parody.
>
> Hell, I like late 60's / early 70's country too. My set lists make a lot of
> people uneasy <g>

Yeah..country went doooooooooownhilll about 1973 or so.

I really like early rock... 1954-70.

>  --
>  Tom Wilson
>  Registered Linux User #194021
>  http://counter.li.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: David Dorward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 00:03:00 +0000

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> And another one sees the light.

The light of Microsoft? It is a flamethrower.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 19:04:24 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:hdvX5.839$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:I0tX5.5092$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:EQlX5.5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > message
> > > > > >

> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > > way
> On
> > > that
> > > That's

> connection
> > > is
> > > exclusively

> > with

> as
> > > the
> > >
> > > I'm sure a little hacking would undo that. I was questioning the "That's
> > not
> > > possible" quote. The second I hear that statements like that  in regards
> > > security, I have to disregard them. There are skinny and dateless pencil
> > > necks out there who, i'm sure, can blow right by it. Never say never.
> >
> > I said "not possible unless you have admin privs".  Which is true.  You
> need
> > to get admin privs in order to install a trojan that could do this.
>
> Are we talking about a false dialog being left on the server console or a
> workstation or are we talking about physically pre-empting the logiin
> sequence with a trojan?

Oooooooops, Funkendolt never even considered the first possibility.

> --
> Tom Wilson
> Registered Linux User #194021
> http://counter.li.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 00:05:43 GMT

who rattled your chain?

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: Wed, 06 Dec 2000 19:07:41 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> COMP.LANG.JAVA.ADVOCACY removed by request
>
> "Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:90k07s$ge2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy Matt Kennel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > : On 5 Dec 2000 00:27:56 GMT, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > : :In comp.os.linux.advocacy Ayende Rahien <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > : :
> > : :Not really.  How does one temporarily "su" to Administrator just
> > : :to run one GUI app, and then get out, without logging all the way
> > : :out and back in?
> > :
> > : ----------------------------------------
> > :         |                                      |
> > :         |  This program requires 'root'        |
> > :         |  privileges, and may be dangerous    |
> > :         |  if you do something unwise.         |
> > :         |                                      |
> > :         |  Type in the root password here      |
> > :         |  to proceed:   ________________      |
> > :         |                                      |
> > :         |   | OK |           | Cancel|         |
> > :         ----------------------------------------
> >
> > Interesting, you try to refute my point about Windows NT not having
> > such a thing by showing me an example of UNIX having such a
> > thing.  (Note the use of the word "root".  I've seen these types
> > of dialogs on UNIX machines many times.  When do they happen on
> > NT?)
>
> Windows2000 has the runas command which is operable from both the
> command line:
>

> RUNAS USAGE:
>
> RUNAS [/profile] [/env] [/netonly] /user:<UserName> program
>
>    /profile        if the user's profile needs to be loaded
>    /env            to use current environment instead of user's.
>    /netonly        use if the credentials specified are for remote access only.
>    /user           <UserName> should be in form USER@DOMAIN or DOMAIN\USER
>    program         command line for EXE.  See below for examples
>
> Examples:
> > runas /profile /user:mymachine\administrator cmd
> > runas /profile /env /user:mydomain\admin "mmc %windir%\system32\dsa.msc"
> > runas /env /user:[EMAIL PROTECTED] "notepad \"my file.txt\""
>
> NOTE:  Enter user's password only when prompted.
> NOTE:  USER@DOMAIN is not compatible with /netonly.

Once again, LoseDOS is about 15 YEARS BEHIND UNIX.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MSN and AOL-Time Warner: Is Microsoft being hypocritical?
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 00:07:42 GMT

Microsoft has the cash, why don't they setup a wireless broadband service?

kiwiunixman