From: "Jim Richardson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on it's way back to
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 20:01:08 +0800

> On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 03:43:53 GMT, CR Lyttle wrote:
>>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

>>> No, it doesn't. It means that Linux needs to play by the same rules as
>>> everyone else.
>>>
>>You forget that Linux is a revolution. Linux is creating a whole new
>>game with a whole new set of rules. Let everyone else play by *our*
>>rules.
>
> I have no problem with Linux being a revolution, but I have a problem
> with it being a lawless mob.
>
> As for writing the rules, it's not for "The Linux Movement", Microsoft,
> or anyone else to do this -- it's a job for the legislature.

Have you seen the "7 lines of perl DeCSS" implementation yet?
 THat particular cat is out of the bag now, CSS is a dead fish, whether
the DVD folks like it or not.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
# 531-byte qrpff-fast, Keith Winstein and Marc Horowitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
# MPEG 2 PS VOB file on stdin -> descrambled output on stdout
# arguments: title key bytes in least to most-significant order
$_='while(read+STDIN,$_,2048){$a=29;$b=73;$c=142;$t=255;@t=map{$_%16or$t^=$c^=(
$m=(11,10,116,100,11,122,20,100)[$_/16%8])&110;$t^=(72,@z=(64,72,$a^=12*($_%16
-2?0:$m&17)),$b^=$_%64?12:0,@z)[$_%8]}(16..271);if((@a=unx"C*",$_)[20]&48){$h
=5;$_=unxb24,join"",@b=map{xB8,unxb8,chr($_^$a[--$h+84])}@ARGV;s/...$/1$&/;$
d=unxV,xb25,$_;$e=256|(ord$b[4])<<9|ord$b[3];$d=$d>>8^($f=$t&($d>>12^$d>>4^
$d^$d/8))<<17,$e=$e>>8^($t&($g=($q=$e>>14&7^$e)^$q*8^$q<<6))<<9,$_=$t[$_]^
(($h>>=8)+=$f+(~$g&$t))for@a[128..$#a]}print+x"C*",@a}';s/x/pack+/g;eval

Perl isn't my fave language, but it does have it's points :)

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What does IQ measure?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 22:49:34 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> I don't believe there is a true IQ test. People are good at different
> >> thing.
> >
> > BULLSHIT.
> >
> > There is are VERY strong correlations between doing well on a
> > well-designed IQ test, and the ability to quickly learn and perform well
> > at any other randomly selected task.  (Quickly as compared to the rate
> > at which an IQ 100 person [statistical mean] would learn).
>
> The only thing that IQ tests measure is how good you are at IQ tests.

And smart people do well on IQ tests, while morons do lousy at IQ tests.

Alert the fucking media.

> They put no emphasis on precision over speed, for instance.
>
> The kind of person that works slowly but precisely and creatively scores
> poorly in IQ tests.

....and is probably dumb as a box of rocks.

Part of the definition of intelligence is arriving at the correct
answer quickly.

If you gave a 13-year old child the following math problem:

        X = 20 / 4

        What is X?

and they told you that since they are precise and creative, that
it would take them AT LEAST a week to solve the problem, would
you call that person:

A) Very intelligent
B) dumber than a box of rocks, whose creativity is primarily
        centered around making excuses.

> -Ed
>
> --
>                                                      | Edward Rosten
>                                                      | u98ejr@
>              This argument is a beta version.        | ecs.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: CR Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 03:50:05 GMT

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 15:08:45 GMT, Brent R wrote:
> >Anonymous wrote:
> >>

> I'll butt in here and say that IQ is certainly not a terribly reliable measure
> of anything, but it's true that it correlates with a "intelligence", no matter
> how you define "intelligence".

So which has higher intelligence, an oak forest, or amoebae? Trees do
communicate, and forest do learn.

--
Russ
<http://home.earthlink.net/~lyttlec>

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux growth underscores threat to Microsoft
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 03:52:57 GMT

Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> J Sloan wrote:
>
> > Unix OSes = Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, Irix, MacOS X, FreeBSD...
> >
> > Non-Unix = dos, win31, win9x, win nt, novell, etc...
>
> I'll amend that to say that between 41% and 68% of
> the server market is running on PC OS's.  Still a pretty
> weird fact.

Actually you have it backwards - only 41% at most
is running PC OSes.

The other 59% are OSes of the Unix persuasion:

(Linux, Solaris, BSD, etc...)

> > Hardware is orthogonal to the question of OS.
>
> Not orthogonal; the angle isn't normal, but acute.

<rant>

Let's say I log into a remote Unix server, look around
and find that it's serving a number of web sites, several
Oracle databases, a mysql database, and and irc server.

Then I log into another remote Unix server, look around
and find that it's running a largish Postgres database, a
web server, 78 shell sessions, and it's an mail hub for a
a number of departments.

I look around a bit more and find they are both running
Linux. They each have 1 GB RAM and several hundred
gigabytes of disk space, they've both got several hundred
processes running, and they've both been up for about 8
months.

Now somebody asks me what they are, and I say they
are both Unix servers. But then somebody pipes up and
says "No, one is a Unix system and the other is a 'PC'".

Sorry, no. The personality of a computer is determined by
the OS, not by the manufacturer of the CPU chip. It doesn't
matter if one has an intel chip and the other has a sparc chip
or an alpha chip, they are both Unix.

Neither one is a "PC".

A "PC" is something a person sits in front of, and
types a word doc or plays minesweeper. It has a "C:"
drive, and usually has a "my computer" icon etc.

</rant>

jjs

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 22:53:49 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> The only thing that IQ tests measure is how good you are at IQ tests.
> >
> > That's something dumb people say.
>
> That really is all IQ tests measure.

But you seem to neglect the fact that there is a near-perfect correlation
between "the ability to score well on IQ tests" and "the ability to
succeed in life, by solving problems, identifying problems before
they happen, and to identify and/or develop winning strategies
and stick with them."

> >> They put no emphasis on precision over speed, for instance.
> >
> > Being able to think fast is a sign of higher cognitive processing speed,
> > which is a distinct advantage in most situations.
>
> It may be an advantage in many situations but if I can get further in a
> problem than someone who thinks more quickly, who is the most intelligent?

The person who solves the problem first.

> >> The kind of person that works slowly but precisely and creatively
> >> scores poorly in IQ tests.
> >
> > Give some examples of highly intelligent people like this.
>
> I don't know of any well known people. I'm going on my experience of
> people I have known. I could quout the names, but they would be
> meaningless to you.

Please describe these so-called intelligent people who routinely
fail tests.

It will amuse.

> -Ed
>

> --
>                                                      | Edward Rosten
>                                                      | u98ejr@
>              This argument is a beta version.        | ecs.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 22:54:35 -0500

"Annette M. Stroud" wrote:

> >> That's something dumb people say.
> >
> >That really is all IQ tests measure.

> >> Being able to think fast is a sign of higher cognitive processing speed,
> >> which is a distinct advantage in most situations.
> >
> >It may be an advantage in many situations but if I can get further in a
> >problem than someone who thinks more quickly, who is the most intelligent?
>
> Or, if the more one thinks about something, the clearer it becomes, rather
> than muddying up pretty accurate instantaneous responses.

Annette, would you please translate your statement from edu-babbble
into English.

> Annette

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 22:55:30 -0500

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 06:43:45 -0800, Brock Hannibal wrote:
> >Edward Rosten wrote:
> >>

> >> The kind of person that works slowly but precisely and creatively scores
> >> poorly in IQ tests.
> >
> >Give some examples of highly intelligent people like this.
>
> I'd give myself as an example. But then, I didn't score poorly on the IQ
> test I took. I suppose some speedier types may have scored slightly higher.
>
> It may be possible that there are people who are statistical anomolies
> (for example, maybe someone with a learning disability takes twice as
> long, but produces accurate answers) and anyone who believes a single
> number to be a comprehensive measure of man needs to have his IQ tested(-;
>
> However, it probably does as good a job as you could hope for given that
> the output of the test is a single three digit number.

for 50% of the population, the output is only a two-digit number.

> --
> Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
> elflord at panix dot com

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: 8 Mar 2001 03:55:49 GMT

On Thu, 08 Mar 2001 01:32:23 GMT, Brent R wrote:
>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>>

>JD Salinger had an IQ score of 115, still above average but not showing
>his true ability. To some the man is a complete genius. I also so a show
>where a man with an IQ of 75 (he's mentally disabled) could craft
>picture perfect animal replicas out of clay in very short time. His
>pieces sell for millions at some art galleries. He's also considered a
>genius.

Like I said, anomolies can fool the test. Especially if the person has
some kind of disability, the test is unlikely to be reliable.

The most obvious examples are people with learning disabilities. These
people may well understand course material, but need to be given extra
time. They actually benefit from the extra time (whereas another student
would not benefit substantially)

The problem with testing people with disabilities is that they may be very
deficient in one small area, and OK with everything else, and most
tests are not capable of conveying that information (it's sort of
like height/weight charts that tell you that bodybuilders are all overweight
when they actually have less than 10% fat)

>Also, it seems I have been dealt several hands of bad karma today after
>making that unwarranted attack on Aaron. I guess I will apologize now, I
>wasn't in the best of moods at the time.

We all understand -- just about everyone here has felt the urge to make
an "unwarranted attack" on Aaron at some time.

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help:  Linux 6.0 install on laptop
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 03:58:40 GMT

Robert wrote:

> I purchased a copy of "Red Hat Linux 6.0 - Unleashed" and have been
> unable to install this O/S on my laptop even though I've successfully
> installed  it on my desktop.  I've followed all of the possible
> installation instructions from the book.  Part of the problem is that
> I have to use a swappable CD and Floppy drive on my laptop and cannot
> use both simultaneously.  The instructions in the book indicate that I
> can install directly from the CD using the 'linux ks' or 'expert'
> commands.  Neither of these worked for me.
>
> My system information is:
> Current O/S - Win 98
> Intel celeron processor
> 128mb ram
> 1gb partition set up for Linux

In general, laptops are painful.
(I first installed slackware on a laptop in 1994)

But it would help greatly if you obtain a somewhat newer
version of Linux to work with. I'd go for Red Hat 7.x, SuSE
7.1, or something similarly recent.

jjs

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: GPL, an open mind, options?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 23:05:27 -0500

I have responded in more than a few threads threads about GPL. Let me admit, up
front, that in weighing the volume of very good points, I concede that I was
interpreting the GPL in a vacuum, and thus incompletely.

It was clear from reading respondents that there is sufficient evidence that a
dry interpretation of the GPL is not necessarily enough to keep you out of
court.

RMS seems to have made it clear that, by his interpretation of the terms of the
GPL, that an unbiased, pure, interpretation of the GPL is not what he intends,
but more over, that his interpretation (which I do not feel the text of the GPL
2.0 supports) makes it an all encompassing document.

If one reads the GPL, in a vacuum of RMS comments, it seems pretty reasonable
and fair. It is when you apply his definitions of the various terms and
comments that the effect is chilling.

So, what do we do?

I really like the idea of protecting free software. I think BSD does not do
this, it is too easy to take free software and capitalize on it and leave the
community uncompensated. But the degree with which RMS seems to take the GPL
seems way too extreme to be reasonable.

Is there a sufficiently protective public license which both protects the
rights of the individual developers but still allows a program to be used in a
non-free system?

--
I'm not offering myself as an example; every life evolves by its own laws.
========================

------------------------------

From: "Jim Richardson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux--First Impressions from a semi-newbie
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 20:22:45 +0800

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, chrisv
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Gardner) wrote:
>>
>>>All in all, if I had happened to have only hardware that was supported
>>>under linux, I'd be in hog heaven.
>>
>>Yes.  If you cherry-pick components that are supported, you'll be fine.
>>Otherwise, you could be in for a nightmare.  They should put a big
>>warning sticker on the outside of the box.
>
> I just bought a standard AMDK6-500 with a cheap motherboard (that came
> with a  Winmodem) and every bit of hardware was supported. I didn't even
> check for a  list of supported hardware.

Same here, bought a laptop about 2.5 years ago, installed RH on it,
worked fine (except for "win" modem) The server at home is a "bitsa"
built from the spares box.  Frankly, I've had better results with unknown
H/W with linux than windows. Windows is a pain if you have an ethernet
card and no idea where the driver is, or who made the card.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux Joke
Date: 8 Mar 2001 04:09:45 GMT

On Thu, 08 Mar 2001 00:12:41 GMT, Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>>

>The situation is a little better for RedHatters.   RH 7 makes it a
>little easier not to run those nasty exploitable services like
>wu-ftp and the r* commands.  I got hacked when I had that crap
>running; learned better.

Getting hacked changes your outlook on security, huh ? It was a
turning point for me.

I've just installed mandrake on a few machines, and it tends to be
pretty conservative in starting up services, a pleasent surprise.
Also lets you choose several security levels. On higher settings,
it puts ALL: ALL in hosts.deny

I'd used Redhat as long as I've been using Linux (started at RH4.1),
but I "broke up" with them after they shipped an alpha compiler.

>By the way, your box looks interesting from nmap, but I'm too new
>at this to do much more than see your open ports.

ssh is allowed from anywhere. The other TCP based servers have limited
access. (So it's not as juicy as it looks) httpd is allowed.