Linux-Advocacy Digest #699, Volume #30            Wed, 6 Dec 00 23:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: Of course, there is a down side... ("Kelsey Bjarnason")
  Re: Linux is awful ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux ("Kelsey Bjarnason")
  Re: Blurry Fonts: Is there a solution? (tom)
  Re: Blurry Fonts: Is there a solution? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux is awful ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Windows review ("Kelsey Bjarnason")
  Re: Blurry Fonts: Is there a solution? ("Dennis Popov")
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: MSN and AOL-Time Warner: Is Microsoft being hypocritical? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. (Terry Porter)
  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. (Terry Porter)
  Re: Windows review ("Kelsey Bjarnason")
  Re: Linux growth rate explosion! ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. (Terry Porter)
  Re: Blurry Fonts: Is there a solution? (tom)
  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. (A transfinite number of
monkeys)
  Re: Red hat becoming illegal? ("Joseph T. Adams")
  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. (kiwiunixman)
  Re: OS tree - SOUND OFF! (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Red hat becoming illegal? ("Joseph T. Adams")
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: LINUX ROCKS AND WINDOWS SUCKS ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: A Microsoft exodus! ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: Blurry Fonts: Is there a solution? (Swango)

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 02:38:32 GMT

[snips]

> Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:

> > Don't know about advocates, but at least one user - me - might point out
> > that I don't really expect a hell of a lot from the freebies tossed in
with
> > the OS, regardless of who makes it.  I didn't with HP, I didn't with
OS/2, I
> > don't with Windows.  That some OSen _may_ bundle more useful utilities
is
> > nice, but hardly significant; if this is the determining factor, you
might
> > want to try a Mac with a bundled office ensemble.
>
> I don't know about you...but I expect a LOT from the "freebies"
> on a Unix system.

Fine; personally, I'll pick my OS based on other features, such as
price/performance issues - and no, even _free_, Linux loses on that one
because part of the performance part of the equation is the ability to do
the things I want and need to do.

Having determined that the OS can at least potentially meet my needs, _then_
I'll worry about whether it comes with a mess of utilities, or, if not,
whether I can find them and at what price; that's the "price" part of the
equation.

Linux may be ahead on the price part, but it fails miserably on the
performance part, at least for _my_ needs; yours may differ.  Regardless, I
think the idea of saying "Gee, OS X comes with _twenty_ different free
programs, I think I'll switch to that OS!" seems a tad silly; presumably one
has a better idea of what one actually wants to _do_ with the computer than
simply "I wanna get freebies with it."  It just doesn't sound like a
particularly significant - or even sensible - evaluation criterion.

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 02:43:57 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 16:03:00 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
> wrote:
>
> >Actually most of these posts are coming from experience, the vast
majority of
> >Linux people have Windows experience.
>
> In that case, the people who keep posting that Windows won't run for
> more than a few days at a time are lying, instead of ignorant.

No, many of us have experience with windows machines that won't stay
up more than a few days.   It is possible to keep NT with the recent
service packs going if you don't run too many different programs at
once, and win2k seems fairly robust.  Is your non-crashing machine
actually doing anything?   Are you on a multi-protocol network?

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 02:49:33 GMT

[snips[

> Chad Myers wrote:

> > You can BS and wax philosophical all you want, but what it really comes
down
> > to is, if you want to have a decent, professional display and control
over it,
> > Linux would be the last choice.
>
> You mean compared to the high-school spaghetti code produced
> in Redmond????????

Sorry, I missed something; what does some hypothetical "spaghetti code" have
to do with the functionality and capability of the display system?  Even
assuming the display system's code was an unmaintainable nightmare, as long
as it met the criteria provided - "decent, professional, control over it" -
it wouldn't matter; it would still meet the requirements.

As an example, I worked on a chunk of code - not designed or implemented by
me, I was simply fixing bugs - which was a maintenance programmer's worst
nightmare; it was so bad we ended up tossing it out and reengineering from
the ground up for the next version.  The version that _shipped_, though, the
version based on the horrible, unmaintainable code, neverthelese got written
up as one of the most flexible and configurable tools of its type.  Quality
of code and _functionality_ of _application_ are not necessarily related.

------------------------------

From: tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Blurry Fonts: Is there a solution?
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 02:43:15 GMT

In article <90mofc$dt5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "kosh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> That is the Font Deuglification Mini Howto unfortunately the geforce
> drivers are broken if you use the ones from nvidia so they will not
use
> 100dpi fonts which makes a very big difference.
>
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/FDU/index.html

I thought you were being sarcastic or, at the very least, making a joke
with "Font Deuglification Mini Howto".  I can't believe there's
actually one called that! :0

In checking out your link, it appears this might be exactly what I
need, but I'm going to copy down the link and check it out later (after
work) at home, where I can go online in Mandrake and do the stuff in
real-time.

Thanks!

Tom

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 02:43:18 GMT

You could simply wait until you're my age, everything is blurry.

(running Netscape with 24-point fontsize and override)

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 02:53:50 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:OTaX5.2788$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Next time you list a few things "off the top of your head," you may
> > want to make sure that you know what you're talking about - currently,
> > you don't.
>
> You cannot give me an "idiot simple" way of doing these things that work
on
> every distribution.  Some distros give you better tools than others for
some
> things, but then are lacking in others.

Of course they are lacking if you don't install them.

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Windows review
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 02:54:55 GMT

[snips]

"JM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >Like I said, there's a reason we got away from the command line. A
> >GUI has proven to be more productive (for average and new users, mind
> >you).
>
> But even if you're a new user, it's still worth taking the time to
> learn how to use the command line.

Why?

Grandpappy could care less about the command line.  From the GUI, he can do
all his work, he can copy, rename, print, delete, backup and restore files,
he can browse the web, he can get e-mail and news, he can do every single
task he actually needs to do.  So what benefit is there in learning the
command line for him?

------------------------------

From: "Dennis Popov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 21:53:03 -0500

Swango, you ignorant moron! Why don't you go troll alt.gay.rights or
something?
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 02:59:21 GMT

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:qcjX5.13502$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

What happens when you embed an excel page?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: MSN and AOL-Time Warner: Is Microsoft being hypocritical?
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 02:50:22 GMT

What's hypocritical about this?  MSFT wants to dominate the personal
computer experience, they've never said they want anything less than
"the whole ball of wax", so where does this make them hypocritical?

Sleazy, crooked, corrupt, and underhanded, most certainly.
Hypocritical?  I think not.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: 07 Dec 2000 03:02:02 GMT

On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 21:20:20 GMT, Swango
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi "Steve/Heather/Claire/keys88/Amy/S"

>Windows 2000 rocks and Linux is a sluggard if ever there was one. I
>tried Redhat and took the server install option and it promptly wiped
>out my entire hard disk. Fortunately I had a backup but what if I
>didn't?
<rest of Wintroll bs snipped>

Good try Wintroll, better luck nextime ?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 07 Dec 2000 03:03:26 GMT

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 17:14:20 -0500, Dennis Popov
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>another claire wannabe, huh? all right people, whoever tries to argue with
>this troll will immediately be labeled as a total moron.
Nope its the Wintroll himself, accept no subsitutes!

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:03:40 GMT

[snips]

"Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Chad Myers wrote:

> > > And what does one "learn" on Windows in the first place?
> >
> > Basic user stuff. How to copy files, how to run programs, how to
discover
> > what storage facilities (drives) are available on your system, how to
get
> > help, etc.
> >

> How to obey the One Great Software Company (Microsoft).
>
> Really, how about programming? Or tuning the kernel?

Out of any given 1,000 users, how many do you think actually write programs?
Of those who even know about such things, how many care about tuning
kernels?

> > learn all the commands and become knowledgeable about the command line.
> >
> > There's a reason why we got away from the command line...
>
> No. The reason is is that you couldn't handle it.

Being unable to handle something and not wanting to are different things.  I
use a command line because for _my_ purposes, it is often more useful than
other methods.  For others, this is not true.  It is the _individual's_
needs that will determine whether it's even potentially worth learning a new
tool or technology, and that is balanced against the expense or effort of
learning it.  You, personally, seem to think kernel hacking and command line
utilities and programming are useful tools, and they are - to you.
Grandpappy doesn't _want_ to hack kernels, he wants to write documents and
browse the web; what possible use are command lines and hacked kernels to
him?

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:06:18 GMT

"Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:yyCX5.5940$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > RUNAS USAGE:
> > >

> > Once again, LoseDOS is about 15 YEARS BEHIND UNIX.
>
> So, your position is, basically, that if Windows lacks something, it
sucks,
> and if it gets that thing, it sucks for getting it too late.  By this
> reasoning, even if Windows adopted _all_ the supposed benefits of Linux -
> open source, more solid security, increased configurability, whatever - it
> would still suck, despite having effectively the same functionality.  Does
> that about sum it up?

It would stop sucking if it had text files controlling all configurations so
you could use revision control systems on them, diff two different ones,
generate patches for automatic updates and the like, and if it could compile
and run most open-source and home-grown software developed over the
thirty-year history of unix systems.   If OS-X pulls this off with a nice
GUI on top, why can't windows?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: 07 Dec 2000 03:05:29 GMT

On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 22:27:29 GMT, Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>And another one sees the light.

Nope just the COLA Wintroll trying it on again, and not to cleverly!

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:01:58 GMT

In article <90mtg5$e7t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> You could simply wait until you're my age, everything is blurry.
>
> (running Netscape with 24-point fontsize and override)

Heck, if I were to take off my glasses, I'd barely even see the
monitor.  Problem solved?

Tom

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite number of monkeys)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:10:28 GMT

On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 21:20:20 GMT,
        Swango <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Windows 2000 rocks and Linux is a sluggard if ever there was one. I
: tried Redhat and took the server install option and it promptly wiped
: out my entire hard disk. Fortunately I had a backup but what if I
: didn't?

Hi Steve!  Still can't read, eh?  If you bother to read the install notes
for RedHat, you would know that Workstation keeps your existing OS, server
wipes all drives, and custom lets you choose exactly what to keep and what
to lose.

: Even after that Rocky Horror Show, using Linux is like moving back in
: time about 10 years in the computer world. My scanner, printer, and
: USB camera don't work. My Cdrw gives errors all the time although it
: seems to burn fine. My cordless mouse doesn't work properly and I find
: kde to be sluggish even on a 600 mhz system with 256 megabites of
: memory.

I'd agree about KDE being slow.  GNOME is much faster.  However, my USB
devices (mouse, webcam, zip250 & HipZip) all work fine.

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: 7 Dec 2000 03:11:55 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Charlie Ebert wrote:
:>
:>
:> And I agree with your comments.  The Democrats haven't supported
:> the middle class in 20 or more years.
:>
:> We have become a nation of extremist parties.
:> You are either extreme rightwing or your extreme leftwing and
:> the middle ground where most of us stand is not being represented.
:>
:> This in itself is an extremely dangerous thing.

: Ya damn liberal!  <grin>

: "Liberal" now is as bad as "Commie" used to be!  What a world!

The only difference between today's so-called "liberals" and
communists is that at least the communists are honest enough to admit
what they stand for.

I don't have much use for either of their views, but I'll take a
misinformed but honest idealist any day over a lying, murdering,
traitorous scumbag, completely devoid of honor or decency, as
exemplified by Klinton and Gore.

Joe

------------------------------

From: kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 16:15:42 +1300

Swango wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Dec 2000 11:39:03 +1300, kiwiunixman
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> Why didn't you read the instructions? Why did you install the server
>> option when clearly you needed the desktop setup option? What version of
>> Redhat were you using?  Have you tried any other distro (I find SuSE
>> better in all respects)? Why didn't you use the customised installation?
>

> I thought server option meant it was going to install server programs
> like Apache and Samba and so forth. Unfortunately the minute you
> select it your hard drive is gone. No warning at all.
Bullshit.  I have used it, you press on the server selector then click
on the button labeled next at the bottom-right of the screen. So your
belief that it instantly fucks you HDD up is based on bullshit.

>> USB and cordless mice.  Question, how many users out in computer land do
>> you believe have a cordless mouse?  very few and far between, Linux is
>> built for the mass's, not the minority with the most obscure hardware,
>> and if you want support, why don't you contribute to the source code?
>

> You are kidding right?
>
> Obscure hardware is some LaserJet circa 1988 that Linux will probably
> work with. Take a look at ANY computer catalog and tell me USB is not
> popular.
> What rock are you living under?
The computers that are sold via Dell, IBM and Gateway tend to use PS/2
socket for the mouse and keyboard.  The number of people I know (both
Windows and Linux users) that have USB mice as very small and far between.

> One other thing, you say Linux is built for the "mass's"? What
> "mass's" might this be? I don't see anyone using Linux at all on their
> desktop. One last thing, you expect the "mass's" to contribute to the
> source code?
> You certainly are out of touch with reality.
Thats the whole fucking point you moron.  You are like the lazy asshole
in the Commune, willing to eat everything, yet unwilling to help with
the harvest.  If YOU don't like it then so be it, don't expect the Linux
community to kiss your ass because you are one of those 0.01% who don't
really use their computers, rather, just add devices on to their
computer and crapping on about issues you know nothing about.

> Tell me, do they have running water where you come from?
>

>> Did you check the HCL USB devices?  It is a very well known fact that
>> these are not supported under linux (apart from a few USB mice), my
>> advice, wait until 2.4.0 comes out

> Why should I have to check anything?
> All of my hardware is non Win specific and works fine under Windows
> 2000. My printer and scanner and camera work fine on my PowerBook as
> well.
Why didn't my Onstream 30gig drive work under Windows 2000 Pro when it
was first realeased? because development takes time.  SO what YOU are
saying is that I should be able to use any piece of hardware with any
OS, ok then, I'll use my Zip 1000 USB drive with Windows 3.11, ooops, I
can't.

>>  Are you delusional about the speed
>> when using kde?
>

> It's sluggish and looks like crap to boot.
yeah right, and Barbera Walters.

>>  I have a Pentium III 550 (Coppermine) w/ 128MB Ram,
>> 10gig HDD, SB Live! Value, TNT2 32MB AGP and a 40x cdrom, I am running
>> KDE2, and it fly's on my hardware configuration.
>

> Maybe you are using a terminal window to contribute to that source
> code?
My experience is reality, get used to it because you will be assimilated!

>> Have you tried it?  I have, and believe me, after 1 year in the great
>> Microsoft think-tank I thought they might of actually come out with
>> something a little more revolutionary.
>

> I have not tried it on my system, but I have run it on a similar
> system.
>
> Linux has been put back 5 years again.
Fix it then, contribute to it if you think you can do a better job.

>> Why would it? the only way to screw hardware under any OS is to have ya
>> screen refresh rate too high.
>

> Pretty easy to do with Linux as well. Just select custom for monitor
> and smell the smoke.
My monitor displays, "Frequency out of sync", hence, no damage.

>> Same with my copy of Windows 95B (I sold my copy of Winblows 2000 Pro)
>

> Good for you.
>

>>> I can see why Linux is free, because they would never get out of court
>>> if they charged people for this tripe.
>>
>> No, I paid for my copy of Linux ($NZ189.95), and it is worth every
>> penny. Wake up and smell the coffee sonny, I have been using computers
>> longer than have been on this earth for, and because one whippersnapper
>> like you cannot handle a real OS and then go off and cry at COLA to
>> prove some anecdotal fable.  Go back to you sheltered life under the
>> window whilst the rest of society moves forward.
>

> I'm not the one who thinks cordless mice and USB are not popular.

> You PAID for Linux?
>
> Damm fool...

You paid for Windows, you're an even bigger fool.

kiwiunixman

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: OS tree - SOUND OFF!
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:16:21 GMT

On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 20:00:24 -0500,
Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<SNIP>

Man!  Commodore had this effect which I believe
started this whole thing off.

I didn't realize everybody else was into commodore
back then.

Just think what would happen if the mattel of computer
commodore were making a $200 portable today?

Very interesting.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 7 Dec 2000 03:17:01 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Chad Myers wrote:
:>
:> "Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
:>
:> > "Liberal" now is as bad as "Commie" used to be!  What a world!
:>
:> When you get down to it, what's the difference between them, other
:> than the spelling?

: You might want to talk to some older people who were active and
: vigorous during the Cold War.  Even more to the point, check out
: the history of the Russian Revolution.  I don't think you'll find
: "liberals" killing off a few million of their fellow countrymen.
: And I think "liberals" back then kept a very low profile, in order
: to avoid losing their heads.

The word "liberal" reversed its meaning between 1950 and 1980.

It used to mean someone who believed in liberty.  Now it means someone
who doesn't.

Joe

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:18:33 GMT

"JM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 06 Dec 2000 19:15:43 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >> (I think that should be something that appears on the status line
> >> at the bottom: "Composing action to repeat N times".)
>
> >There's a simple solution to all of this.
>
> >If in doubt, hit the escape key.  This puts you in command mode.
> >Then hit type "i" to begin inserting at your current location.
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to have a character in the corner telling you
> which mode you were in?

The newer versions do have an option to show the mode on the bottom
line.  However, if you had ever worked from a 300 baud modem
you would understand why the original version didn't do that
by default.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: LINUX ROCKS AND WINDOWS SUCKS
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:08:55 GMT

In article <4xyX5.43$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Patrick Raymond Hancox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>                 ...and Flight Sim rocks...

Get a grip.  MSFS sucks.  It looks the same today as it did when it
belonged to Bruce Artwick and Sublogic fifteen years ago.  I would have
expected some improvements over the original C-64 version by now, but it
looks like MSFT has just been sitting on the back of a cash cow and
sucking up the profits without returning much of anything.

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:23:28 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>     Steve> (To tholen) Okay we agree, it seems, that intuativeness is
>     Steve> purely relative to what is already known.  In the case of
>     Steve> Vi, it only appears unintuative if you are used to some
>     Steve> other editor first.  This I agree with.  What you don't
>     Steve> seem to get is that it works the other way around too - if
>     Steve> you learn Vi first, then those other editors are the
>     Steve> unintuative ones.
>
> Yeah, especially  when regular expressions have become  almost a basic
> instinct and the other editor doesn't have regular expressions.

Or repeat counts for everything, including inserts, or ways to describe
motions or ranges.

From: Swango <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2000 03:24:10 GMT

You can't fix the shitty looking Linux fonts. It's just another
"benefit" to running the worlds most advanced operating system.

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Swango