From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Steinberg)
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Re: Win2000 SP2 breaks Samba 2.2 PDC?
Date: 22 May 2001 19:10:00 GMT

Jeremy Allison ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Yes, an "interesting" change was made to W2LSP2 in which it
: makes a call that NT4.x doesn't know and expects an exact
: error code on return before proceeding with joining the domain.

: The good news is that I fixed it in the 2.2.x CVS tree and it'll
: be in Samba 2.2.1 (due to be released soon).

I just wanted to say "thank you!"  It's so great to see people interested
in providing tools to make the lives of others easier, as opposed to
Microsoft, which seems happy to interfere with the work of its
"valued" customers, in order to play dirty tricks on those it views as
competitors.

It's also great to see that their dirty tricks don't work so well against
the nimble competition provided by free software.

Couldn't this kind of behaviour be raised in the antitrust trial to
further illustrate Microsoft's unwillingness to change its conduct?  I
supposed it's really to late for that now, since appeals courts don't
accept new evidence, but hasn't Microsoft done this kind of thing to Samba
before?

--
David Steinberg                             -o)
Computer Engineering Undergrad, UBC         / \

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 15:13:07 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    Aaron> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>    >>
>    >> >>>>> Aaron R Kulkis writes:
>    >>
>    Aaron> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>    >> >>
>    >> >> >>>>> Aaron R Kulkis writes:
>    >> >>
>    Aaron> Roberto Pavan wrote:
>    >> >> >>
>    >> >> >> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>    >> >> >>
>    >> >> >> > You guys STILL have yet to demonstrate that homosexuality is
>    >> >> >> > anything OTHER than defective behavior.
>    >> >> >>
>    >> >> >> Why?  Seriously.  Why should they demonstrate anything?
>    >> >> >>
>    >> >> >> Seeing as it affects you not one whit whether someone chooses to have
>sex with
>    >> >> >> someone of the same gender, why should they have to prove anything to
>you at all
>    >> >> >> regarding this behaviour?  Why not go on wearing your tutu and playing
>with your
>    >> >>
>    Aaron> If a car that I don't own, and I'm not riding in, crashes, killing all
>aboard,
>    Aaron> due to brake failure...
>    >> >>
>    Aaron> are you trying to imply that I should be prohibited from commenting that
>    Aaron> the car was obviously defective in some way...
>    >> >>
>    >> >> >> sock while listening to Barry Manilow records and staring at pictures of
>flatulent
>    >> >> >> field mice and leave them the hell alone?  Both you and they will be
>ever so much
>    >> >> >> happier...
>    >> >>
>    Aaron> Personally, I wish all of these defective people would quit running around
>    Aaron> demanding that I give them special rights, so that they can indulge in
>    Aaron> their defective behavior.
>    >> >>
>    >> >> Can you name a single right being asked for that heterosexuals
>    >> >> do not either already have,
>    >>
>    Yes> The PRIVILEGE of not allowing others to judge their behavior.
>    >>
>    Aaron> For example, *I* get judged on my behavior all the time.  Why should
>    Aaron> homosexuals get a special exemption?
>    >>
>    >> Who is asking for such a thing?
>
>    Aaron> The gay privileges lobby.
>
> Nobody is asking for a law anything like that.

That's funny, we just voted on EXACTLY that kind of ballot proposal
on May 15 in my city.

Thank god it was defeated.

>    >> >> or would have along with gays should
>    >> >> the proposed item be passed into law?
>
>    Aaron> They tried that in my home town just this week.
>
>    Aaron> Although public opinion polls showed the special-rights-for-gays proposal
>    Aaron> to have a slight majority....the ACTUAL VOTING TURNOUT was a landslide
>    Aaron> defeat for the homsexuals.
>
>    >> Name one of the so-called special rights.
>
>    Aaron> The privilege to NOT bear the consequences of one's behavior.
>
> I note you have failed the challenge to identify a single special
> right.  That does not surprise me, because all that is being asked
> for is equal rights.

You can't read, can you.

>    Aaron> Imagine that.
>
>    >> >> I will not hold my breath.
>
>    >> >> There is nothing "special" about equal rights.
>
>    Aaron> Homosexual already HAVE equal rights.
>
>    >> No, they are not allowed to marry the willing adult of their
>    >> choice, and are thus shut out of a large set of rights, privileges
>    >> and responsibilities.
>
>    Aaron> Any man is allowed to marry any woman whom he so chooses.
>
> Correct, if she is willing.  However homosexuals are not allowed
> to marry the willing adult of their choice, and that makes them
> second class citizens.

Marriage is not defined as "the adult of your choice", marriage
is defined as "the adult OF THE OPPOSITE SEX".  Gays are just as
free to participate as non gays.

>    Aaron> Any woman is allowed to marry any man whom she so chooses.
>
>    Aaron> All gays have these rights, just like anybody else.
>
> Nope, the rest of us have the right to marry the willing adult
> partner of our choice.

See above.

>    Aaron> Any additional laws are Special Privileges.
>
>    >> I have yet to see a single special right or privilege being
>    >> asked for.
>
>    Aaron> You wish to escape the consequences of your deviancy.
>
> No, I want all to have equal rights.

You have them, now sit down, and shut the fuck up, LOSER.

> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 15:15:03 -0400

"You've got MALE.. sex organs!" wrote:

> Aw, suck my dick, you little right wing turd. I'll insult little
> phoney fuckheads like you all I want. I've earned my rights to
> criticize little bastards like you.

I hope you get your wish for nationwide gun ban.  Then me and all my
rightwing gunnut friends can legally invade your home and totally
trash it out looking for yours.

> Oh, you're a SOLDIER! So fucking what? Plenty of us have been soldiers,
> and I doubt that many have been as much of a sad sack as you. Soldiers
> are like any other population - there are some great ones, and there are
> some losers - like YOU.

I was decorated 9 times in my first 3 years of service.
what does that tell you

> If you are protecting us while we sleep, we aren't very secure
> now, are we?

Weeeeaaaaaak!

> BTW, your sig file sucks and you suck.
>
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > "Vallely's Dirt in Boss King's Ditch.." wrote:
> > >
> > > Aaron's a homophobe,
> >             ^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > You misspelled "person who finds buggery disgusting"
> >
> > > in addition to being a pathetic little right
> > > wing gunny turd..
> >
> > Be careful who you insult, asshole
> >
> > The military people who protect your constitutional rights are "right wing gunny
>assholes"
> >
> > So are the police who protect you while you sleep.

>have sex with
>to you at all
>playing with your
>all aboard,
>commenting that
>pictures of flatulent
>be ever so much
>running around
>indulge in

>should

>proposal
>landslide

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey, wimp, virgin, right wing dufus, and Ditto suck ass
> > ICQ # 3056642

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Intermediate user who left Windows for Linux
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 21:17:47 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Dave Martel"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 May 2001 19:36:15 +0200, "Mart van de Wege"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>So where is all that piracy
>>(hate that word) occuring, that it is cutting into Microsofts bottom
>>line so hard?
>
> Hey, they have to have SOME excuse to give their shareholders when new
> "upgraded" versions of WIndows languish on the shelves.

Yeah, but that's why I mentioned it to my colleague. It's so G*DD*MN
obvious! He fully agreed with me, copyright infringement is largely a
bogus argument.
Sorry, but I tend to get a bit worked up when confronted with inconsistent
and/or illogical reasoning (no, I don't have pointed ears).

Mart

--
Gimme back my steel, gimme back my nerve
Gimme back my youth for the dead man's curve

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win2000 Annoyances
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 22:03:26 +0200

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9ecesk$gbk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Just to add
>
> 6) Windows 2000 CLI lacks basic tools that I would normally use on Linux,
> such as, when I am look for, say, the file foo, I go, ls /*/*/*/*foo*
> however, in Windows 2000 I can't.  Copying files is another pain, unless
it
> is visable (aka non-hidden), you can't copy it, where as in Linux I could
> always copy .foo files without any problems.

dir /s *foo*
Would find all the files with foo in their name in the current directory and
anything below that.

dir /s ..\*foo* would find all the files with foo in their name starting
from one directory above this one, and anything below that.

xcopy /h will copy hidden & system files.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 22:07:39 +0200

"Mike Vance" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I thought I would take a couple minutes to type up what is annoying me
> with the Windows operating system just to get some gripes off my chest.
> I am one of many lurkers in this forum seriously contemplating turning
> to Linux permanently.
>
> 1) Most-Frequently-Used Menus Bug Me:  that new feature that defaults so
> that only the most frequently used menu options are displayed bothers me
> to no end even though it can still be disabled.  The default should be
> that this feature is turned off.  It is another example of the interface
> being dumbed down to the disadvantage of serious computer users.  I'm
> still cringing from the time MS tried to convert the world to the BOB
> interface (remember that?).

Turn off personalize menues, then.

> 2) Win2000 key shortcuts are no longer underlined by default.  You have
> to hold down the ALT key to get the underlining to show and that just
> does not seem right.  Makes everything more mouse-centric that it
> already is.

Diplay>Apperances>Affects has this settings, IRRC.
X-Mouse is possible if you get TweakUI.

> 3) Win2000 has still proven amazingly unstable even though everyone
> taughts its stability.  Its self-corrupting nature is not as potent as
> it was in Win95/98 but I still find it growing progressively more
> unstable as the day continues.  Have to reboot it daily.  I've have many
> blue screens of death with it (daily even) and even got a nice registry
> corruption and profile corruption thrown in seperately to spice things
> up.  No wonder all the good servers are Linux-based.

Can you give me some of the titles of those BSODs?
I've dealt with Win2K systems since B3, and I've never had it.
There are usually one of two reasons for this, bad hardware or bad drivers.

> 4) The Win2000 recovery console lacks the power of even the simple DOS
> 1.0 command-line.  I prefer a graphical interface but sometimes the
> system needs to be debugged from the command-line.

*Shurg*, never used recovery console.
You don't debug the system from the command line, that is for certain.

> 5) Tired of having to reinstall Windows and every single app from
> scratch whenever I upgrade to a new motherboard.  Probably some pros out
> there know how to get around having to do this but MS seems to want the
> OS and the Apps to be so installation-program dependant.

Nope, I just got a new motherboard & CPU, stuck in the HD, Windows goes up
like a charm.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Date: 22 May 2001 19:23:49 GMT

On Tue, 22 May 2001 15:15:03 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"You've got MALE.. sex organs!" wrote:
>>
>> Aw, suck my dick, you little right wing turd. I'll insult little
>> phoney fuckheads like you all I want. I've earned my rights to
>> criticize little bastards like you.
>
>I hope you get your wish for nationwide gun ban.  Then me and all my
>rightwing gunnut friends can legally invade your home and totally
>trash it out looking for yours.

Apparently you are unaware that doing such a thing is illegal,
and a ban on guns would not change that situation. In fact, even without
a gun, according to what I have read lately, he would be legally
entitled to anally electrocute you.

>> Oh, you're a SOLDIER! So fucking what? Plenty of us have been soldiers,
>> and I doubt that many have been as much of a sad sack as you. Soldiers
>> are like any other population - there are some great ones, and there are
>> some losers - like YOU.
>
>I was decorated 9 times in my first 3 years of service.
>what does that tell you

You own some little ribbons you like to flaunt when you're among
other slaves of the system? I find that ritualistic behaviour
akin to baboon's exposure of erect penises as sign of authority.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 21:24:25 +0200

In article <3b0aa7f7$0$2604$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Myers"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9ee7sc$f9s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/3387/1/
>>
>> I can't say I don't agree.
>>
>> Some points:
>> A> The linux desktop company he's talking about is likely Mandrake. B>
>> He agrees with Daniel about users getting computer/OSes/shells not for
>> the sake of the computer/OS/Shell, but for the applications that it
>> run. C> He seems to agree with me that you can't offer a slightly-less
>> or equal product in order to convice people to switch, you need
>> something vastly sueprior.
>
> Not to mention new innovation. Everything that was out there for Linux
> was either a rehashed 30-year old app with a new GUI front end, or a
> cheap knock-off of a current Microsoft app....

....Which was a knock-off of the Mac...Which was a knock-off of Xerox
PARC...

<sigh>

BTDTGTTS

News at 11.

When will you learn Chad? There is precious little innovation going on in
computers. Gradual evolution is more likely.

HAND

Mart

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,soc.men,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh
Subject: Re: evolutionary (oh boy) psychology: the short form
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 15:28:19 -0400

"You've got MALE.. sex organs!" wrote:

> Get with it. You can't be a good little right wing bigot if you
> can't read the program, Aaron.

Did it ever occur to you that I really don't give a fuck about gays...

I just want to be able to live without them parading it around in my face.

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > jet wrote:
> > >
> > > Aaron R. Kakis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > LOL! Aaron you have reached levels of ignorance that are shocking even for
> > > you!
> > >
> > > A beard is a member of the opposite sex a homosexual person gets married to,
> > > or has a similar kind of relationship with, in order to look straight.
> >
> > Well EXCUSE ME for not being up on the latest homosexual slang.......

> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Michael Marion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris,staroffice.com.support.install.solaris,comp.unix.advocacy,alt.os.unix,alt.unix
Subject: Re: Solaris 8 vs 7/2.x....
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 19:29:24 GMT

"Donal K. Fellows" wrote:

> It's not always possible to be that nice; our networking is complicated
> by being split across two buildings, one part of which is only recently
> allocated to us (in a cunning "deal" with Engineering...)  Plus, file
> serving is not the only high-bandwidth application on our network.  IIRC
> (and not being disparaging in any way) the graphics people love to gobble
> lots for their 3D shared environment stuff.  <shrugs>  I could post a URL
> for the latest network architecture map, but it's intranet-only and so
> only as much use as a chocolate sun hat in the Mojave...

Bah.. 2 buildings?!?  That's child's play. :)

We have 20+ buildings in town here.. and networked together.  The backbone
between some isn't gig (I think ATM) but we also have engineers that sit in a
building in another campus (a mile or 2 away) and run interactive GUI apps on
servers over here.. and vice versa.

> > Our environment is pretty ugly too, but when it's planned properly ahead of
> > time and implemented properly, it makes a huge difference.
>
> Not my committee, mate!  :^)

I know that feeling/position... sucks don't it? :)

Then there's the cost factor too...

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Senior Engineer-Qualcomm-http://www.miguelito.org
A nerd is someone whose life revolves around computers and technology.