From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I have had it up to *here* with Linux
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:14:26 -0500

Said Tom Wilson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:05:18
>"Black Dragon " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 21:00:10 GMT in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `[EMAIL PROTECTED]' said:
>>
>> : On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:15:09 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> : (Black Dragon ) wrote:
>> :
>> : >
>> : >On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 19:49:31 GMT in alt.linux,
>> : ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `[EMAIL PROTECTED]' said:
>> : >
>> : >[cross posts trimmed claire's current whore house]
>> : >
>> : >: On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 11:50:49 -0500, Chas2K
>> : >: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> : >:
>> : >:
>> : >: >over and over to get just these reactions from you. I will build a
>kill
>> : >: >filter for Clair the Troll as soon as this post goes out. It will
>reside
>> : >: >along side the one for pencil-dick Rev. Kool who trolls the BSD
>> : >: >newgroups.
>> : >: >
>> : >:
>> : >: There is your first problem.
>> : >:
>> : >: " Building" a kill filter.
>> : >:
>> : >: I just killfiled you with 2 mouse clicks..
>> : >:
>> : >: Bamm...into the Bozo bin...
>> : >:
>> : >: claire
>> : >:
>> : >: Linux "The only OS you have to build as you go along".
>> : >
>> : >Fuck'n blow me you cheap cock sucking whore. Why don't you go fuck
>> : >around in Pimp Billy's news groups with all the other skanky
>> : >whores, and let the Linux folk go about their business.
>> : >
>> : >5 keystrokes later ....
>> : >
>> : >*PLONK*
>>

>> : Another fine example of a Penguinista in his native environment.
>>
>> Not quite bitch. I adminsister a heterogeneous network, using the best
>> tools for the jobs, and Windows is one of them. You really ought to
>> get youself some netiqutte and learn how to post properly, ya' skanky
>> fucking cunt.
>
>Pot. Kettle. Black.
>Good Lord, kid...You're more in need of that advice than she. This is an OS
>advocacy group, not an open forum for pimp wannabes. Grow up!

I think that's the point.  Whether "clair lynn" is a she to begin with
is rather up for grabs, it being only one of more than a dozen aliases
used by a resident troll.  I can understand many might find the language
rather shocking, but personally, I got a *huge* laugh out of reading
someone call clair a "skanky fucking whore".  :-D

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!
http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:14:54 -0500

Said Aaron R. Kulkis in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 25 Nov 2000
>Jan Schaumann wrote:
>>
>> * "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> > It is required.
>>
>> It is not. Just quote what you reply to, snipp *all* unneccessary stuff.
>
>Humor escapes your grasp on a regular basis....doesn't it.
>
>> http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html

Not as much as snipping escapes you, Aaron, apparently.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:15:36 -0500

Said Pete Goodwin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 19 Nov 2000 20:09:27
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> "Code" runs faster on Linux? Or faster on Windows?
>>
>> Who the hell cares what speed some snippet of a totally useless to the
>> average Jane piece of code runs at.
>
>Well, benchmarks are only a guide at best, and give an indicator of what
>you might be able to expect with different systems.[...]

Please don't feed the trolls.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:16:27 -0500

Said Jake Taense in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:29:43
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Stefan Ohlsson
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>The original poster said:
>>>"code runs faster on Linux"
>>>yet I found POVray ran slightly slower on Linux.
>>>That's what I was commenting on. And you've just demonstrated it too.
>>>
>>How did he demostrate that?
>>
>>To know wheter code runs faster on Win* or Linux, the program needs to
>>be _exactly_ the same. Different compilers can skew the result all the
>>way to the opposite.
>>
>>You proved that POV compiled with a specific Win* compiler ran faster on Win
>>than POV compiled with a specific Linux compiler on Linux. Exactly what
>>can be interpreted out of that I don't know, other than the obvious fact
>>in the last sentence. It's interensting nevertheless.
>
>This logic invalidates every possible benchmark or comparison.

Not quite, but your point is valid.  It invalidates using POVray to
compare platforms without taking compilers into account.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I thought Linux was always available free of charge?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:17:38 -0500

Said Erik Funkenbusch in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 18 Nov 2000
>Go to www.netmax.com
>
>They offer several Linux distributions with nice firewall and server
>configuration packages.  Except for one thing.  They don't offer their
>products for download.  It seems that they are selling a GPL'd OS without
>offering a freely available version or source code to that version.
>
>Interesting how it's so easy to violate the GPL and nobody does anything
>about it.

Guffaw.

There's nothing in the GPL that says you have to support downloading
your product over the internet, Erik.  Guffaw.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:19:09 -0500

Said Russ Lyttle in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:13:42
>Nigel Feltham wrote:
>>
>> >Here's one where I will AGREE with Claire.
>> >
>> >The price of Suse, Mandrake, RedHat Deluxe, and others have
>> >risen to $80 from $45-55 range.
>> >

>> These packages contain a lot more than just the operating system.
>> They contain multiple CD's full of applications, games and utilities.
>>
>> Compare any of these linux packages with the equivalent Microsoft
>> product - at least twice the price and you only get the operating system
>> with virtually nothing to run on it (or at least nothing useful).
>>
>> You also have the choice - if these linux packages are too expensive
>> for you then you can buy a cheaper package, download an install ISO
>> CD image or install files from the internet or buy one of the magazines
>> who regularly give away linux distributions on their cover-mount CD's.
>>
>> Which is the gross ripoff here?
>The problem I have with the pricing of Redhat is I used to get the same
>thing for $20. Given that they wrote very little of the software
>themselves, the pricing seems to be based more on greed than on value
>added.

Sounds more like a market.  If you don't find the "greedy price" package
worth the value, select an alternative.  Microsoft still "controls" the
price of OSes, though, so one would expect these prices will collapse,
finding true competitive market levels, once the monopoly is remedied.
Then again, there may be $180 worth of value in that package, for
somebody else, if not yourself.  I would probably tend to agree with
you, though, and point out that "what the market will bear" is
overinflated in the current environment.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux trips over itself once again
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:20:35 -0500

Said mark in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Tue, 21 Nov 2000 21:26:37 +0000;
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
   [...]
>>Never had a problem with Ethernet or TokenRing using Windows and the
>>Thinkpad. It just works.

...unless it doesn't.

>No, it didn't work on my Toshiba laptop with Win98SE.  Nor on my
>boss's, nor two of my guys' machines either.

Nor did Windows (either 95 or NT, depending) on my Gateway laptop, nor
this Dell laptop, nor my brothers home-built desktop, nor his
girlfriend's pre-built desktop, and on two of the last four NT OS
installs I did.  In half the cases, of course, the problem was never
even determined, let alone correct; we just got lucky the second (or
third, or fourth) time.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:22:16 -0500

Said Jose Mirles in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Fri, 24 Nov 2000 17:45:09
GMT;
>mark wrote:
>
>> No, it didn't work on my Toshiba laptop with Win98SE.  Nor on my
>> boss's, nor two of my guys' machines either.
>>
>> The machine is a Tecra something Pentium III.
>
>-- snip  ---
>
>I have never had a problem with NICs in Windows or Linux. They just
>seemed to know what was there and did the install. We use Token ring
>and ethernet at work.

Then you have indeed been lucky.  Count your blessings.

>Red Hat is especially good at identifying the NICs and properly
>setting them up. It also setups the printers, networked or local.
>
>On the other hand, ManDrake Linux 7.2 doesn't see a local printer at
>all with CUPS or lpd. I'm still working that issue.

So perhaps Mandrake is slightly behind the curve in hardware detection?
That might explain Clair "Skank Whore" Lynn's problem.

From: "cheers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: i/o in linux
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 18:16:46 GMT

"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Kyle Jacobs wrote:
> >
> > Actually, this Mr. Swango is correct, the Linux Kernel is still "alpha"
> > testing (because Linux is ALWAYS in beta stages) support for this style
of
> > x86 hardware.
>
> Linux 'beta' as you call it, is almost always more stable than the most
> stable version of Windows or NT. (or 2K)

I must disgree there for Windows 2K on a SMP system.

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:24:21 -0500

Said MH in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:13:49 -0500;
>"Operator Jack" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> supplies yet another stellar example of
>linux advocacy as noted by <<< >>>
>
>> > Once again Linux, in this case Mandrake 7.2, has failed to install on
>> > a system that has easily installed Windows.
>
>> Um.  No .. you are doing something wrong.  I was actually going to go
>> through the setup in a message here.. <<<but you are kinda jerky>>>. suffice it
>> to say, <<<if you RTFM that talks about COMMANDLINE options, you'll get it>>>.
>
>Hmm....a desktop user has to read a manual on command line options to
>install linux?, is that what you're claiming to be a more user friendly os
>than windows?
>You guys are hilarious!!

Guffaw.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Need Advice
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 18:12:53 GMT

Well, I have Windows ME right now, and I was planning on trying to go
for a dual boot setup until I feel comfortable with it, so I guess I'll
need Partition Magic 6.0, but with all the distributions I was wondering
which ones to try. Thanks for your help. I'll probably be spending a
good bit of my time lurking here for tips. Thanks again.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:26:48 -0500

Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 20 Nov
2000 14:45:44 GMT;
>Linux is a piece of junk that is inconsistant in it's implementation.
>What works in one distribution doesn't work in another.
>SuSE 6.4 installs and Mandrake/Redhat fails on the same exact machine
>so it must be the user of course.
>Can't be Linux..No way :(

Free market competition.  Ain't it a bitch.  I guess you're one of those
nimrods that says Bill Gates has done the world a favor by monopolizing
the OS, thereby saving you the hassle of having a choice between
different alternatives.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:29:40 -0500

Said Erik Funkenbusch in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 20 Nov 2000
   [...]
>You're acting like the whole word will purchase the subscription at the same
>time.

He's acting like what the world will do is dependent on what Microsoft
dictates, not ignoring the monopoly and pretending there is a free
market, as you are.

>Fact is, people will be purchasing subscriptions all throughout the year.
>How could MS plan around that?

Ask them.  You know damn well they aren't going to do it if it doesn't
protect and extend the illegal monopoly.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:32:34 -0500

Said Erik Funkenbusch in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 20 Nov 2000
>"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <i%_R5.9167$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>> >What's your point?  If you plan to stay current with the software, it's a
>> >great deal.
>> >

>> Nice try meathead.  The subscription doesn't update any of your
>> software.  When your subscription time is UP - YOU ARE OFF!
>>
>> The way your talking about this thing you'd think you
>> knew what the fuck you were talking about.
>>
>> I'm talking about MS OFFICE 10, not DEBIAN you moron.
>
>Try paying attention instead.  If you plan to stay current with Office,
>buying each new version as it comes out, it's cheaper to go the subscription
>route than it is to repurchase office after every release.
>
>Also, it doesn't stop working after your subscription is up.  It simply
>stops allow you to create new documents.

Guffaw.

From: Swangoremovemee<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 18:28:54 GMT

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:11:18 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>       No. The people that you bought them from just chose not to
>       make it easy for you to use their product with the OS of your
>       choice.

They are USB devices. They work on Windows machines and my Apple
Powerbook.

Linux "supposedly" supports USB.

They do not work with Linux.

>>>Then why do you think anyone cares if your choice of
>>>devices keeps you hopelessly locked into a monopolistic
>>>vendor's operating systems?

>       That doesn't mean anything. Apple can be just as much out in the
>       cold, as can be NT, if the vendor doesn't happen to think either
>       of those markets are large enough to support.

It is Linux that is out in the cold because of it's lack of support
for common hardware like USB.

So Linux only supports certain USB devices?

That's a good one.

>       OTOH, as long as a vendor doesn't go out of their way to avoid
>       standard device types it shouldn't matter. You're just lucky
>       enough to buy from hardware vendors that are asses but still
>       care enough about Macs to bother with them.

No they care about USB which Linux evidently half supports, just like
every other thing Linux offers half supports for.

It amazes me how you people can not use all the features of the
hardware you paid for and yet call Linux a superior operating system.

Seems like Windows and Apple have gotten USB to work fine, what
happened to Linux?

Swango
"It Don't Mean a Thang if it Ain't Got That Swang"

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:35:53 -0500

Said MH in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:28:56 -0500;
>Quite frankly, I haven't come to terms with this marketing model yet. But,
>having said that, if you wish to purchase the office product business as
>usual, simply purchase the NON subscription version and you have a product
>that will function without any 'updating' service ($$).

Until it disappears, as soon as Microsoft can manage it.

>Taken from the first sentence in paragraph 3 of the cited article "The
>subscription software will be the same as the nonsubscription software
>available at retail, except it must be renewed annually"
>
>Is that really that hard to understand?

No, its just much easier for those of us who've already "come to terms
with this marketing model", and recognize it for the increase in price
and decrease in value that it is.

>You guys should take a few FUD lessons from MS.
>The cola brand is as weak as water.

If only it were just FUD that Microsoft is an illegal monopolist.

From: Swangoremovemee<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 18:32:53 GMT

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:13:45 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>       "USB Support" doesn't mean it will work with device foo.
>
>       USB is just the bus.
>
>       Much like SCSI or PCI, you still need an individual device
>       driver. This doesn't change with Macintosh or WinDOS.

What a crock of shit that is.

I guess Universal doesn't mean anything when Linux get's entered into
the picture.

Gee, the other guys got it right but Linux?
Once again MIA.

Swango

>       So is Bill's "reliable OS" in some instances.

At least it supports hardware made in the 20th century.

>       This is why you check the with the vendor first and not act
>       like a helpless idiot.

You're the only idiot I see around here.

Box says USB support.

It should be called "LIE-Sux" because that is about all it does.

Lie and suck.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 00:39:40 -0500

Said Glitch in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Fri, 24 Nov 2000 19:17:17
>I can't imagin the fun this will create when a virus writer gets a
>subscription to Word (or the whole OFfice suite if u can't get just one
>element of it) to make a Word macro virus.
>
>It should make tracking people who make macro viruses as well as any
>type of document easier to track since most of the processing is done on
>their end, right? Who's to say that MS won't record every document
>created with it's unique ID number to track people on their servers?

You are (no doubt just as Microsoft intends) confusing
subscription-based licensing and the .NET delusion.

From: Swangoremovemee<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2000 18:34:48 GMT

The readme file.

Swango

On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 15:15:30 -0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] () wrote:

>       Got a page number?

The Readme file in the root directory of the CD.

>       That documentation is freely available online.

Assuming you can get the POS functional and running long enough to
make a connection.

>       OTOH, you could just be confusing "linux" and "redhat".

Garbage is garbage no matter what you want to call it.