From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: XP "Loctivation" and "Scared-Source"
Date: 24 May 2001 04:51:58 GMT

On Wed, 23 May 2001 20:34:46 -0700,
 Paolo Ciambotti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Terry Porter"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> You read it here ...... first !
>>
>> Copyright Porter and Martin ;-)
>
> Locktivation.  I like it.
:))

>  But is a copyright enough?  You should be able
> to get this through the USPTO.
>
> "... whereby applicant submits for patent review and approval a process to
> milk customers of ever increasing revenues by technologically denying them
> egress from a specific software application marketed solely by
> applicant."
>
> If you could get this patented, you'd own Microsoft.

Sadly if I owned Micro$oft, my conscience would leave me,
and what good would that be ?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W2K/IIS proves itself over Linux/Tux
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 05:03:12 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9ei3as$j4l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > Then the 4th message in the thread gives the real 'same as always'
> > Microsoft response.    (For the lazy:
> >    "The dev team has looked at this and is working to fix the problem.
> >   Hopefully it will be fixed in the next web-release.  If you have any
> >   questions just ask!")
>
> So, there is a bug in the dll, problem found.

Yes, that's what I've been saying for months and you windows
zealots kept arguing about it.

> Post to the newgroup and ask if there is a fix or a workaround.

That was that response from MS - like everything else it will be
fixed in the next release...

> > Remind me again why people buy this stuff.
>
> They don't. MsXml is free.

Does that mean I don't have to pay for Win2k to run it?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Gersic)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.netware.connectivity,comp.os.netware.security
Subject: Re: Single sign-on authentication for Novell, Windows and Linux?
Date: 24 May 2001 05:02:24 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Flacco
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Is it possible to set up an authentication system that will allow
>Windows PC users to connect to Linux, Netware 4.11, and NT/Win2K servers
>with a single logon, and without having to change passwords on multiple
>systems?

NetWare and Linux are easy, Novell's NDS Authentication Server (NDS-AS)
will do that quite nicely. Windows is harder, but can be done with the
Account Management product. The version that was just recently released
does MAD integration.

|David Gersic                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|Systems Programmer                          Northern Illinois University |
| Wiker's Law: Government expands to absorb revenue and then some.        |
|I'm tired of receiving crap in my mailbox, so the E-mail address has been|
|munged to foil the junkmail bots. Humans will figure it out on their own.|

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Gersic)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.netware.connectivity,comp.os.netware.security
Date: 24 May 2001 05:02:24 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dean Thompson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>server has to be operating in a bindery mode.  I am not sure of too many
>authentication modules which actually work with a NDS tree directly.

NDS-AS does. Quite nicely. Does mainframes (MVS with RACF or ACF2) and
several *nix flavours, too. Highly recommended.

|David Gersic                                           [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
|Systems Programmer                          Northern Illinois University |
| Computer operators do it upon mounted requests.                         |

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Warning to new users of Windows XP
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:16:36 +1200

lol

btw, I am still testing SP2. Fucked up once and had to re-install Windows
2000 from scatch.  So much for a great OS by Flatfish's account.

Matthew Gardiner

Matthew Gardiner
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 08:21:57 +0200

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:kC0P6.5801$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9ei3as$j4l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > > Then the 4th message in the thread gives the real 'same as always'
> > > Microsoft response.    (For the lazy:
> > >    "The dev team has looked at this and is working to fix the problem.
> > >   Hopefully it will be fixed in the next web-release.  If you have any
> > >   questions just ask!")
> >
> > So, there is a bug in the dll, problem found.
>
> Yes, that's what I've been saying for months and you windows
> zealots kept arguing about it.

No, you said there was a bug in IIS.

> > Post to the newgroup and ask if there is a fix or a workaround.
>
> That was that response from MS - like everything else it will be
> fixed in the next release...

Then ask for a workaround, in the newsgroup of people who deals with it.

> > > Remind me again why people buy this stuff.
> >
> > They don't. MsXml is free.
>
> Does that mean I don't have to pay for Win2k to run it?

If you bought bought Win2K just to run this spesific DLL...
Beside, you don't have to pay for Win2K to run this, you can pay for WinNT,
Win98, Win95, WinME, etc. :-D

You want to tell me that Linux software doesn't have bugs?

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:22:12 +1200

> 14 to 16 MB's of memory? You have one of the most F'd up Office
> configurations imaginable, or your normal.dot is 10MB's strong. No, I
doubt
> that as I don't think you can code with VBA.
> Winword, the executable name for Word, is running on right now on this pc.
> MS Outlook Express, which you love to hate but love to use, as you did to
> make this post,

Get a life "~¿~" , or better know as, Mr "I'm too chicken to use my real
name".

If you read my post I said I was testing out Windows 2000 SP2 since Jon had
raved on about how great it was going to be, and how fast it is etc etc.  I
am running now it, this is my second install, the first install fucked up
after two days.

matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:25:53 +1200

> > http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/
> >
> > Maybe you should use a search engine next time.
> >

> doesn't meet the criteria I gave

How can you be a Network admin if you can even install the easiest Linux
distro out on the market.

matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:23:18 -0400
From: Flacco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:

Flacco wrote:

> Is it possible to set up an authentication system that will allow
> Windows PC users to connect to Linux, Netware 4.11, and NT/Win2K servers
> with a single logon, and without having to change passwords on multiple
> systems?
>
> Ideally it would allow admins to maintain all user accounts in a single
> location as well.

There is a fairly new product from Novell called Novell Single Sign-on
that supposedly does exactly this.

I found it shortly after posting the original message, and
coincidentally the next morning I received a message on one of the DL's
at our University that they're having Novell demonstrate Single Sign-on
next week.

Seems there are plans afoot to put the whole university in a single
sign-on directory, which would solve a lot of my immediate issues.

I'd still be interested in any other solutions that you might come
across, so please post anyway...

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:40:34 +1200

"David Kaczysnki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 23 May 2001 14:05:25 +1200, "Matthew Gardiner"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >1. This OS will probably hang around for 18 months to two years depending
on
> >the progress of .net.
>
> .NET will never (be allowed to) succeed.

It will.  US senators have already been paid off, there is a large mass of
idiots, Chad Myers is having an orgasm over the whole issue, why wouldn't it
succeed?

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:41:17 +1200

A bit like IE 6 failing to install on Win2k.  So much for Windows being easy
to use.

Matthew Gardiner

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:48:38 +1200

> > Wouldn't you classify academic dissertations of 200 pages as serious
word
> > processing? C't did a test on word processors beginning this year and
Word
> > 2000 (SP1) consistently barfed on that.
>
> C't is a biased MS-bashing rag just like The Register. I have yet to
> see either posted a favorable article of Microsoft.
>
> Somehow, millions of people use Word very efficiently and demand
> even more features from, yet you, all-knowing, all-wise deem it
> crap because you can't seem to figure it out?
>
> > Hardly a recommendation.
>
> Nope. Bias and FUD, rather.

Chad Myers, honey, remember, it is just a computer, and Microsoft is only a
company, not a vital component to your existence.  The only people who share
your view on life a people with very low self esteem problems.  Were you
abused when you were young? you have the classic symptons of a person who
fears losing something that is close to them, in you case, Microsoft.

Matthew Gadiner

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 17:53:28 +1200

> C't is a biased MS-bashing rag just like The Register. I have yet to
> see either posted a favorable article of Microsoft.
>
> Somehow, millions of people use Word very efficiently and demand
> even more features from, yet you, all-knowing, all-wise deem it
> crap because you can't seem to figure it out?

I wouldn't exactly say the below link is biased in anyway.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 01:58:45 -0400

"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Thu, 24 May 2001 00:50:26 -0400, JS \\ PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> On Wed, 23 May 2001 23:23:09 -0400, JS \\ PL
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >Linux.
> >>
> >> The only time I had to use setserial on a modem was with a isapnp one.
> >> Specifically, one that didn't work at all with NT ;-)
> >
> >Mine's a Actiontec PCI w/call waiting. I don't know what it's deal is but
> >need to type in setserial......
>
> Is it configured in some "weird" IRQ or address? Is it veeery old? ;-)

irq 19, age?-according to the box it's a winner of numerous awards in
"1999", and it must work good because the user shown on the back of the box
is smiling at his computer screen .

> >It also has a habit of ringing like someone is calling (but no one EVER
> >calls that line), at random every few hours or so. I have no idea why.
>
> To be honest, that sounds like an electrical problem to me.

It's a bad seed.But it manages to dial out, and stay reliably connected.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Win2k Sp2 Worked perfectly
Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 06:03:11 GMT

On Thu, 24 May 2001 05:52:55 +0200, Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>ome.com...
>> On Thu, 24 May 2001 04:24:48 +0200, Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>
>>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED].
>> >ome.com...

>> >system
>> >
>> >40? NTFS is about 10  - 15 years old.
>> >

>> Actually I exagerated a bit.  The technology is only 30 years old.
>
>No, it isn't.
>NTFS is ten to fifteen years old, not thirty.

Look up the word technology.  NTFS isn't ground breaking work.  Mainframes has
such technology 30 years ago.