  Re: Linux is awful ("Kelsey Bjarnason")

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Windows review
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 05:14:28 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:90urcm$g3t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > But the key-strokes aren't graphical features, and most functions
> > still require using the mouse, whereas CLI based programs always use
> > quick key patterns.
>
> No, they aren't, you can do practically everything via the keyboard.
> And CLI isn't always better.
> Frex, how do I move all the files above 10MB from directory A to directory
> using cli?

Don't blame the lack of cli tools on your chosen platform on the concept
of the cli.   In unix-like systems this would be:
 find A -size +1000k -exec mv \{\} B \;
or
 mv `find A -size +1000k -print`  B

This makes it obvious how you would get a list of such files that
you can use in other contexts too.  How do you generate a list
of the files that matched your selections into a file or editor
buffer in a GUI?   In vi, you might use :r !find A -size +1000k -print
to read the output of the command into the buffer where you
want it.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Caifornia power shortage...
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 00:57:36 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 09 Dec 2000 14:00:19 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Russ Lyttle wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

> >> All this "unintuitive" behavior of power switches is causing a major
> >> problem in California. The issue of all these devices still drawing
> >> power is keeping a load on the system that it wasn't designed to handle.
> >> That coupled with lack of new power generation in California is putting
> >> a strain on the system now, promising a major breakdown in the near
> >> future. Relying to much on intuition and not enough on reason is going
> >> to get a lot of people killed.
> >
> >Actually, the REAL problem is that the ECO-NUTS in California shut
> >down practically every fission power project that came down the pike
> >in the 1970's.
> >
> >If those plants had been built, a lot of oil-fired and coal-fired
> >plants would have been taken off-line a long time ago AND Cali.
> >would STILL have surplus capacity.
>
> Indeed; there is radioactivity in coal.  I forget how much coal
> would have to be burned to equal the radioactivity in a pound of solid
> nuclear waste, but one important issue is that the radioactivity
> in coal, if not scrubbed out, can be spewed into the air along with
> the usual sulphur dioxide (SO2 + H2O = H2SO4, sulphuric acid, not exactly
> something I'd want to breathe, thank you), carbon dioxide (harmless
> except for "global warming", which is a problem), and heat.  (I'm not
> sure where the radioactivity comes from; if it's C-14, there's not much
> we can do about it.)
>
> Of course, if it is scrubbed out, someone's gotta change the filters
> occasionally.  But one advantage of nuclear waste, AFAIK, is that
> it's solid.  A highly radioactive and dangerous solid, to be sure
> (for many many millennia) but solid nevertheless; solids are a
> little easier to manage, especially if encased in glass and buried
> somewhere in salt with a "DO NOT TOUCH UNDER PENALTY OF RADIOACTIVE DEATH"
> sign on the door -- one hopes our progeny can read English.
>
> One also wonders about the helium in toy baloons; helium is an
> alpha particle with a couple of electrons.  Now where did that
> helium come from?  (It's not dangerous, of course -- but there's
> also radon gas.  Presumably, the two are initially intermixed,
> although radon is a lot heavier.) [*]
>
> One big problem the nuclear program has is credibility -- and I'm not
> sure if that's because of Three Mile Island (Chernobyl didn't help
> either!), or what; the public is also apparently terrified of irradiated

only due to propaganda.

TMI was an example of the system doing PRECISELY what it was designed
to do....namely, to shut down if any readings went too far out of
tolerance.

Chernobyl has no bearing, as such a design would never be permitted
to be used in a free society...only totalitarian states would ever
build such a primitive accident-prone design (carbon-pile)

> food, despite the increased safety thereof from a bacteriological point
> of view (quick, which is more dangerous, irradiated beef or beef
> contaminated by E. coli or salmonella?).  This is arguably stupid, but
> it's going to take awhile to wash the metaphorical stain out.  Certainly
> there are dangers -- but there are dangers to driving a car, too.
> We still do it.
>
> Oregon decomissioned the Trojan nuclear power plant (no jokes, please)
> some time ago; I know of no issues there, though I'd have to look.
> (Anybody know?)
>
> And, of course, the public appears enamored of Microsoft because it's
> "easy to use" and "intuitive" and "has the industry-standard GUI".
>
> Sigh.
>
> [.sigsnip]
>
> [*] Someone has made a case -- and it appears to be a pretty good one --
>     that the Hindenberg exploded because of the flammability of its
>     aluminium skin (and the poor static dissipation design thereof),
>     not because of the hydrogen.  One spark and it went up like a torch
>     with an orange yellow flame -- hydrogen burns blue.  A thought if we
>     ever run out of helium...
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- and I have to live in this crazy state
>                     up 80 days, 15:43, running Linux.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Predictions (featuring Drestin Black)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 01:01:27 -0500

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:40:41 -0500, JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > You'll find that the Linux (*internet surfing) desktop share is about
> > .003120.  MS.* is about .9375222 as of October out of 554,519,878
> > samples.  read/weep http://www.thecounter.com/stats/
>
> Why you think this is a good thing is what escapes a lot of us.  I can't
> imagine it being a good thing to have one company control 93% of anything.

I think we should eliminate Ford and Chrysler so that everybody
has to buy an Oldsmobile

> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| To Whom You Are Speaking
>  -| http://www.haucks.org/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 01:02:34 -0500

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:40:41 -0500, JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > You'll find that the Linux (*internet surfing) desktop share is about
> > .003120.  MS.* is about .9375222 as of October out of 554,519,878
> > samples.  read/weep http://www.thecounter.com/stats/
>
> Why you think this is a good thing is what escapes a lot of us.  I can't
> imagine it being a good thing to have one company control 93% of anything.

We should get rid of GM, Ford, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Audi,
Porsche, Mercedes, Volvo, Datsun, and make everybody drive AMC Pacers.

> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| To Whom You Are Speaking
>  -| http://www.haucks.org/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Glatt)
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 06:03:30 GMT

>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

>JM writes:
>
>> Steve Mading wrote:

>>> Bullshit.  I *was* serious.  What, do you have like 1-inch fingers?
>
>> No, he's got a 1" something else...
>
>What might that "something else" allegedly be?

Given the intelligence level of your usenet posts, the answer is
obviously one brain cell

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uptimes
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 01:13:53 -0500

"Pan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> JS/PL wrote:
>
> > > You can deny it all you want.  With the exception of the word perfect
on
> > > win95 with epson stylus 600 problem, I can back up every claim I have
> > > made here with both the physical machine, and the installation cd's in
> > > question.  The only reason i can't offer the physical machine in that
> > > case is that I overworte the entire HD on the machine and am now
running
> > > mandrake on it  ( Though I still have the drivers and copy of WP in
> > > question )
> >
> > Sounds like your blasting Microsoft for something Dell did. Your making
> > case AGAINST OEM computers not against Microsoft.
>
> In the Dell example, whom to blame depends on whether or not the OEM is
> preventing the Netscape CD installation b/c of a contractual obligation
> to M$.  In the cases of printer driver (non)support, damaging a
> competitor's software, and preventing a dual-boot installation, it's
> pretty tough to see where to point the blame other than Redmond.

I've got a Packard Bell Master CD from the same Win95a era which installs
itself and completely hides the MS Windows UI with a shell called Packard
Bell Navigator. It's a "house like"  gui where you navigate your hard drive
like your walking through a house! You click on the "Library" and in there
are books, which you click on to open Encyclopedia ect...  You click on the
Internet "room" and up pops several choices to get on the internet (online
services with their own browsers). The whole thing is rediculous as hell.
Unless the user goes to a specific "room" and clicks an icon they never see
the Windows interface at all.

OEM's suck. Build your own.

------------------------------

From: "KLH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: no.alt.arkiv,tw.bbs.comp.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux is INFERIOR to Windows
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 06:11:56 GMT

"Dave Bush" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:4MXY5.21421$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Why do I see this as flame bait that way too many of you are going to go
> nuts over?
>
> Once again a Ray Lopez clone will have managed to create a thread that
won't
> die for weeks because some of you feel you have to defend our beloved OS
> the death...
>
> Here it comes - guess I should kill file it now...

I second this wholeheartedly. Don't continue this thread!

Best Regards,
Kevin Holmes
"extrasolar"

------------------------------

From: "KLH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 06:17:16 GMT

[snip all]

Perhaps if we strive to lessen our need for generated power then things will
improve. Research into more economical gasolines seems to be a good start.

But we have no real problem with our standard of living. I am sure we can
stand to eat at a few less fast food restraunts to preserve our enviroment
and its ecology.

Best Regards,
Kevin Holmes
"extrasolar"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Glatt)
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 06:38:06 GMT

>JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>One would probably be a star-trek freak to use terms like "illogical"
>after a light-humoured keyboard statement.

Yay! More comments about Tholen for the digest

------------------------------

From: "David Ogg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus! (OT) (humor)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 06:32:09 GMT

Wow, you three should get a room!

"Marty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Pedantic to the

ON USENET"

> > > Of what relevance is this quotation?
> >
> > It's where the irony is, Marty.
>
> Classic incorrect pontification.
>
> > Don't you remember what you asked me?
>
> Certainly, which is why I recognized the inappropriateness of the
quotation.

> > > Of what relevance is this quotation?
> >
> > It's where the irony is, Marty.
>
> Classic incorrect pontification.
>
> > Don't you remember what you asked me?
>
> Certainly, which is why I recognized the inappropriateness of the
quotation.

> > > Where is the alleged irony?
> >
> > MA] Classic pontification.
>
> Of what relevance is this quotation?

Aaron

Marty.

> > > Not at all, Dave.
> >
> > Classic pontification.
>
> How ironic.

> > > Where is the alleged irony?
> >
> > MA] Classic pontification.
>
> Of what relevance is this quotation?

Marty.

> > > Where is the alleged irony?
> >
> > MA] Yet another example of your pontification.
>
> Of what relevance is this quotation?

> > > Where is the alleged irony?
> >
> > MA] Still another example of your pontification.
>
> Of what relevance is this quotation?

> > > Would you prefer that I allow you to mislead the readers by suggesting
that I
> > > have done such a thing?
> >
> > On what basis do you claim that I would be misleading the readers,
Marty?

> Are you suggesting that you haven't suggested that I have done such a
thing?

Marty.

From: "Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 06:58:00 GMT

[snips]

"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:efXY5.42312$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Which IDE drive are you using that can transfer data faster than a
> 66Mhz controller can handle?   If they really are half the price
> of SCSI, I'd like to get some.

IBMs.  They won't do tha sustained, obviously.