From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Linux office, a possible future.....
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:11:14 GMT

says...

> > And each one of the distros has a way to go yet.
>
> That is an opinion, one which I do not share. Please explain what "Way to go"
> means. I think, for the average office worker Linux is a perfect fit. Tell me
> why it isn't.

It's not an opinion, it's a fact. KDE has quite a few problems, even on
KDE 2.1

Mandrake is an amazing mess, witness the comments about it here in this
group.

RedHat has had quite a few detractors here.

> Name a few. I have been using KDE all along, and it seems fine.

Tried the pixie viewer yet?

I would try the network stuff, but Linux can't get two network cards and
DHCP to work together yet.

> > Probably not. Though the researchers might be a little miffed since I
> > reboot my machines several times a day (device driver work).
>
> Then you would not be a candidate for clustering.

Precisely my point. Clustering is good for certain things, but not
everything.

> > And you want everyone to use clustering for everything is that it? What
> > happened to... gasp... choice?
>
> We are talking about the office, not the home. People do not have choice now,
> why should you think they would later? IT tells them what to run.

In my office I get to decide how to run my machine.

> > Nothing wrong with small islands. Nothing wrong with cooperation either,
> > for that matter.
>
> There is plenty wrong with an office full of PCs each costing between $1200 -
> $2400 pulling 250 watts of power, doing mostly nothing.

Huh? And how much does one of your Linux boxes cost?

> > How about general purpose ones?
>
> Name some? General purpose what?

General purpose bitmap editors, viewers (in multiples), vector editors,
word processors, spread sheets etc.

How about TV guides?

> > Fonts, Printers, overall Sluggishness.

> Really? I use star office all the time. I have all the fonts I could ever want
> (I can use any font, True Type or Post Script), What printer does it not
> support? Sluggishness? No way, much better than MS-Office side by side, and I
> have tried this at work.

I added some fonts to my system and StarOffice never noticed they were
there.

I tried printing with StarOffice and I never saw a package chug so much
for so little return.

> > They're behind what we have on Windows.
>
> Define "behind" you say it, but without examples it means nothing.

Behind in applications, in power, in usability... you name it, Windows
has it, Linux ain't on the horizon yet.

> > More choice!
>
> No choice! run what ever app you like, as long as you save often, and reinstall
> every six months, pay a lot of money for bad software, and get raided by the
> BSA for a 3" x 3" piece of paper lost in a book somewhere. No thanks.

Most of the software I use I wouldn't call bad. Most of what I've seen on
Linux pales by comparison.

--
Pete
All your no fly zone are belong to us

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: How Microsoft Crushes the Hearts of Trolls.
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:11:50 GMT

Said Ed Allen in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 14 Mar 2001 06:01:03 GMT;
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Said Ed Allen in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 13 Mar 2001 07:01:03 GMT;
>>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>>
>>>    But remember that that is the same thing being said back then about
>>>    COBOL.
>>
>>Same thing; different scale.  The proportions are so different that the
>>argument refutes itself.
>>
>    My point was that the argument was just as wrong then.

Oh!  ;-)

>>>    Now you can say that they are your resources and that you can spend
>>>    them however you want but when it comes time to bill a customer
>>>    either X dollars or 10X dollars the X companies will get repeat
>>>    business.
>>
>>"Customer"?  There are no "customers" in desktop automation; it is a
>>personal task.
>>
>    But most people who are not involved with IT are only involved with
>    computers in the course of their job.
>
>    The resources, CPU, disk, LAN, telephone, etc. need to be paid by
>    somebody.  That somebody is a customer, either directly or through
>    another part of your company.
>
>    The contention is what better serves that customer.  If you can
>    accomplish more in less time than the overhead of those resources
>    then all to the good.

That is the ultimate value-proposition of absolutely *any* distributed
system, and certainly the whole point of the PC.

>    Resources are already cheap and I expect that clusters of compute
>    nodes, eventually small enough for sixteen on a card about the size
>    of a PCI card. to bring that cost down even further.
>
>    By bringing the cost down another decade or two the universe of
>    problems where the resource cost is beneath notice of even the most
>    cost conscious accountant will encompass most of the things we do
>    today.
>
>    To be truly compelling your "desktop automation" will need to be
>    personalized beyond anything we have today.  Otherwise you will lose
>    your personal helpmates every time you change jobs or even move to a
>    newer version of the software.

The 'helpmate' is the ability to automate, not the automation itself.
Some "macros" are trivial and can be conveniently rebuilt; some are
complex and can be 'ported'.  I have a small group (though constantly
changing) of macros, some of which I originally created in WordPerfect
5.0 for DOS, which I still implement in Word9x.

>    I expect a non volatile cartridge or card to carry your personalized
>    environment to machines you will be interacting with.

An interesting idea, but again the opposite of the intent.  The
requirement is that the operator know how to implement automation, not
merely that he be able to carry around the results.  Such a
"personalized environment" certainly isn't a bad idea, but it has
nothing to do with automation.

>    Software inside will hide the differences in the OS and the
>    particular hardware so that all computers will look pretty much the
>    same to you and they will look different but pretty much alike to me
>    as well.
>
>    That is a feasible way to get the universality that seems to be the
>    dream of people who do not care HOW things are done only that they
>    need only remember enough to start them.
>
>    Our most frequent problem then will be trying to explain that their desktop
>    computer does not have enough memory to graph the company interaction
>    with every customer and supplier for the last ten years.  For that
>    they will need to connect to the company supercluster and, yes, that
>    does mean their job will need to be scheduled at least a week in
>    advance, and, no the only exceptions are VP level and above.
>
>    Another level of "I don't want to know the details" and we can try
>    to handle even larger problems next cycle.  I have never seen any
>    sign of trying to understand why a given problem or solution does
>    not fit all computers.  Instead they have been encouraged by M$ to
>    remain willfully ignorant for twenty five years.
>
>    Sorry for the rant.  I just don't see much narrowing of the gap
>    here.

Indeed, Microsoft has broadened it quite, most purposefully.  The
"dichotomy attack", as I think of it, is one of their more subtle and
very effective in the long term.  By giving operators who wished to
automate their desktops the choice between the pathetically lame Macro
Recorder or the incredibly over-complex Visual Basic approach, Microsoft
'served the demand' by defusing it entirely.

Inexorably, however, if much slowed, the gap does narrow, as it always
will.  Despite any protestations by any "know nothings", people always
seek knowledge, because they always seek control.

>    PHBs will always be with us and not all of them are bosses.

They always were with us, as well, but we didn't know to call them PHBs.
The gap always narrows, at least from a historical perspective.

From: Jeffrey Siegal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:13:39 -0800

Craig Kelley wrote:
> > Anyone who takes a little bit of time to look into the issue can easily
> > determine what the terms of the GPL are, and what the FSF means by the
> > term "free software" which it coined.  It may not be the same term that
> > some other people would use, but so bit it.  It's just a name.
>
> Not true.

Yes it is true.

> I used to be the biggest GPL supporter until I took time to think
> about it

Which is exactly what I wrote.  You apparently, were a GPL supporter
when you didn't understand it.  It's too bad that your support was
contingent on a misunderstanding, but so be it.

> Many people misunderstand the license and think that it means "if you
> modify my code and distribute it, you must give me the changes".

That's an horrific misunderstanding.  There is all kinds of material
available at http://www.fsf.org and elsewhere which can easily correct
that.

> It
> doesn't mean that at all, it means "If you use my code in any sort of
> development effort, no matter how disparate, and distribute it, you
> must make *all* your code GPL-compatible licensed as well".  See the
> difference?

Of course I do.  The bottom line is that nobody of authority (or
knowledge) ever claimed that GPL was the former.

> Nevermind the philosophical differences between writing free software
> for the sake of free software and writing free software in order to
> cajole everyone into writing free software.

You can not ignore the philosophical differences, and RMS has been
saying this all along.  If you do so, you very much risk missing the
point.  GPL is about building a community.  That's not meaningful
without an understanding of the philosophy.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 17:14:24 -0300

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> says...
>
>> > And each one of the distros has a way to go yet.
>>
>> That is an opinion, one which I do not share. Please explain what "Way to
>> go" means. I think, for the average office worker Linux is a perfect fit.
>> Tell me why it isn't.
>
> It's not an opinion, it's a fact. KDE has quite a few problems, even on
> KDE 2.1
>
> Mandrake is an amazing mess, witness the comments about it here in this
> group.
>
> RedHat has had quite a few detractors here.
>
>> Name a few. I have been using KDE all along, and it seems fine.
>
> Tried the pixie viewer yet?

I use pixie every day, what's the problem with it?

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No problem with multiple GUI's
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:15:16 GMT

In article <98mim6$cme$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> Switching from distribution to distribution is a waste of time.
> Spending your time learning how to use the tools is not.

I'm not terrible interested in "learning to use the tools". I want to be
productive now and get on with what I want, not tinker around the innards
of the engine, trying to make it do what the machine could do on Windows
with hardly any effort on my part.

> > Linux 2.2 is the same as Linux 2.4?
>
> Which part of "given the same kernel version" did you fail to
> understand?

Sorry, got muddled there!

> > Linux is Linux is it? All distros are created equal, is that it?
>
> Nope.  Some distributions are easier to install than others.  Once you
> have it installed, linux is linux ( again with the caveat that not all
> package managers are created equal ).

Except for Mandrake. They push the header files all over the place. When
I tried some of the KDE sample code, I had to rewrite the build files to
get around Mandrake.

> > Is that why a number of people are less than happy about Linux
> > Mandrake and are switching away from it?
>
> Which explains why Mandrake is the fastest growing linux distribution
> and why it has accounted for 20-30% of all distribution sales since
> December.  Mandrake might be a poor choice for someone who has been
> using Debian or Slackware since 1994 ( then again I know plenty of
> admins who have been using linux for a long time who love mandrake, and
> I am one of them )

Are you using Mandrake, or are you just reading their stats?

> > I have not been "figuring out ways to break a perfectly good desktop".
> > It was already broken!
>
> Most of the problems that you have encountered are related to operator
> error.  The majority of those that were not, have been fixed in newer
> rpm versions of the KDE environment.

"Operator error"? I think not. More like "Installation script error".

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:16:07 GMT

says...
> Please copy and paste the following sentence after every one of your
> replies:
>
> **
> I don't care.
> **
>
> This should conclude my participation in this subthread.

So when the going gets tough, you back down.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:16:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> I just lookd at GIMP. Sur nough, I couldnt print graphics, just  file. I
> unistlled it, then installed Gimp. Gimp devel packge, incase I wanted to
> do somthing, and th Gimp data. I started Gimp, and everything worked
> like it was supposed to.
>
> mayb there is something missing in your install.

Given it was Mandrake, that doesn't surprise me

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What does IQ measure?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:18:03 -0500

"." wrote:

> > If see a thoroughly hacked and mangled body with a severed neck
> > and the skull crushed in, it is the FUCKING OBVIOUS TRUTH that this
> > creature is dead.
>
> Only if you can recognise the creature as something you may have seen
> before.  Are you telling me it's absolutely irrevocably impossible that
> an alien life form might happen to look like a mangled body?

Are you REALLY this fucking stupid, or is merely your USENET schtick?

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Jeffrey Siegal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,misc.int-property
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 12:17:57 -0800

Jay Maynard wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:12:49 -0800, Jeffrey Siegal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Frankly, I don't believe that very many people -- aside from a few
> >anti-GPL zealots -- really care about the "deceptive nature" of the GPL
> >or of the term "free software."
>
> How would you feel if something YOU thought was important was being used and
> perverted for someone else's own political ends?

If the *word* "free", or the *name* "free software" is that important to
you, I just don't know what to say.  You can't hyjack a word, reserve it
for uses you approve of, and then accuse RMS of doing the same.  It is
just senseless.

Long ago, RMS used the term "free software" to describe a concept.  At
this point is a really just a name for that concept, like "green
energy."

Get over it.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:17:50 GMT

In article <IYWq6.15469$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> > Why the focus on the wrong part of the conversation?
>
> Because there is no other part.   The only thing going wrong on your
> system is that your printer driver is not doing the expected conversion,
> because it is being told not to.

There was another part, but you are choosing to ignore it.

--
Pete

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 15:21:12 -0500

"." wrote:

> > If see a thoroughly hacked and mangled body with a severed neck
> > and the skull crushed in, it is the FUCKING OBVIOUS TRUTH that this
> > creature is dead.
>
> Only if you can recognise the creature as something you may have seen
> before.  Are you telling me it's absolutely irrevocably impossible that
> an alien life form might happen to look like a mangled body?

Name on alien creature that looks like the mangled corpse of an earthly creature.

Be precise, as vague answers subtract from your score here.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Scot Mc Pherson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:21:02 GMT

> > There is plenty wrong with an office full of PCs each costing between
$1200 -
> > $2400 pulling 250 watts of power, doing mostly nothing.
>
> Huh? And how much does one of your Linux boxes cost?

One of mine cost me almost nothing. I upgraded another computer, and most of
the parts were used to put together my first linux box...All in all,
including original but depreciated parts I would say I spent less than $300.

--
Scot Mc Pherson
N27° 19' 56"

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:21:20 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> > Why the focus on the wrong part of the conversation?
>
> I'm not. You claimed that linux was bad because applications could
> bypass the printer drivers. Other people have stated windows progs that
> allow this, but you ignored them. I've pointed out an example that you
> have esay access to you.

It seems strange to me that any OS allows applications their own drivers.
It would appear to be duplication of effort. Can you not see that?

As for being to bypass Windows printer drivers, yes I'm aware you can do
that, but _none_ of the applications I use do.

> I assume that you do concede my point since you are squirming.

I concede nothing because you point is not germane to the topic at hand,
which has been down a rathole.

> Now, building on this point, why is Linux bad for letting other apps
> bypass the printer drivers?

How about, how is Linux good by allowing each application its own driver
for whatever hardware there is?

> And one final point: try file->print (or equivalent) under most Linux
> apps. Guess what happens. Hint: it prints.

And look what happened when I tried the same with The Gimp! It printed
alright, but it didn't print what I expected.

From: "Scot Mc Pherson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:26:47 GMT

--
Scot Mc Pherson
N27° 19' 56"

"Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "." wrote:
> >
> > > If see a thoroughly hacked and mangled body with a severed neck
> > > and the skull crushed in, it is the FUCKING OBVIOUS TRUTH that this
> > > creature is dead.
> >
> > Only if you can recognise the creature as something you may have seen
> > before.  Are you telling me it's absolutely irrevocably impossible that
> > an alien life form might happen to look like a mangled body?
>
> Name on alien creature that looks like the mangled corpse of an earthly
creature.

> Be precise, as vague answers subtract from your score here.

By the nature of what "." wrote means that by your saying it, you just made
it happen. Now there is an alien creature roaming the cosmos that looks just
like a "mangled corpse of an earthly creature"

Its called quantum physics, which is what you are talking about when you say
something like "Irrivocable Possibilities"

Scot Mc Pherson

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 22:46:20 +0200
From: Nico Coetzee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WOW - This is Interesting

http://uptime.netcraft.com/up/today/top.avg.html

FreeBSD seems to be my next web platform !!!

I don't know how often the updates are run, but now (Wednesday, 14 March
2001, 22:22 GMT+2) FreeBSD had all of the first 20 places!

Out of 50, it claimed 47 sites with the longest uptime. M$ does not
feature, but I miss Linux from that list even more!

So, what makes FreeBSD that different from Linux? Can it be that the
sites mentioned has low volumes?

Just wondering...