From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 06:59:31 GMT

Les Mikesell writes:

>>> No, you should understand the pattern so you know how to
>>> represent your intentions, assuming you are past kindergarten
>>> and already know the shapes of the letters.

>> Understanding patterns won't do any good if you don't know how
>> to create new text (i and Esc) and save it (ZZ).

> On the contrary, vi is extremely useful as a document viewer, and
> those commands are not necessary for that function.

more is extremely useful as a document viewer.  If all you want to
do is view the document, you don't need to move the cursor around
with hjkl.

> Some experience with the positioning commands is alwas a good
> idea before entering text, and there is no need to change the
> unmodified document after you view it.

There is no need to move a cursor around in an unmodified document.

>>> You don't want to think 'special case, special character' for
>>> every keystroke.

>> Fortunately, I haven't.  I was simply talking about the first
>> things to learn.

> If you don't learn the concept of the modifiers you are learning
> special cases.   This would be equivalent to memorizing all of
> the different verb forms as separate words that you use for
> separate and special situations without seeing any repeatable
> relationship.

Irrelevant, given that I was talking about the first commands to
learn, not how you learn commands.

>>> Not for everyone.  There was a long history of command driven editors
>>> before vi: http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/qed.html
>>> has some interesting trivia.

>> Of course; there were a lot of editors before screen editors came
>> along.  The first "editor" I used was to repunch an entire card.

> And some were very similar to vi, especially the ex mode.

The IBM 026 wasn't anything like vi.

>>> It is a type of command that involves a motion/range.
>>> 3dw = delete 3 words.
>>> d/foo<enter> = delete until the pattern "foo"

>> As opposed to "delete the pattern 'foo'".

> Yes, /foo positions you to the beginning, not the end of the
> matched pattern.

My point is that its action isn't intuitive.

>>> d$ = delete to end of line

>> As opposed to delete to the end of the file.

> $ always means end of line to commands that work on
> characters.

One could argue that :1,$s/q/z/ works on characters, yet the $
means end of file.

>>> 4dj = delete current and 4 lines going down

>> Assuming you remember which letter is for up and down.

> Which you don't have to consider a special case.

Is 4dk a special case?

>>> 4dk = delete current and 4 lines going up

>> Ditto.

>>>    Note how you don't have to learn this separately from:
>>>       w = moves the cursor a word
>>>       /patten  = moves the cursor to pattern
>>>       j  = moves the cursor down a line
>>>       k  = moves the cursor up a line
>>> Get the idea?

>> I've been using vi for years now, and I still have instances of the
>> cursor going up when I wanted to go down.

> It isn't because it does something surprising.  If you ever know
> how to make the cursor go down, you know how in every case
> once you understand that it is not a special case.

Understanding whether it's a special case or not doesn't improve
efficiency when the cursor is going the unintended direction.

>>> It was written by Bill Joy in 1974 and no, 'real' vi has not changed.
>>> The original paper:  http://docs.freebsd.org/44doc/usd/12.vi/paper.html
>>> still describes it exactly.   There are some newer imitations that have
>>> added new and different features (some very different), and there
>>> are emacs modes that emulate it with varying degrees of faithfulness.
>>> The variations are annoying if they won't remove the carriage returns
>>> from MSDOS style text with the intuitive command
>>> :%s/^V^M//   (where ^char is control-char).

>> What makes that command intuitive?

> Carriage-returns are control-M characters

So one might expect to enter a control-M into the document by typing
control-M.  Doesn't work.  Oh, so you need a prefix.  Now, what is so
intuitive about control-V as the prefix?  A UNIX novice might expect
the backslash to be used as the prefix.

> - but this is the same as your own 'enter' key so it is a special
> character.

Really?  That key on most keyboards is called either "Enter" or "Return",
yet UNIX has this thing about ending lines with a "newline" character.
Most confusing to a first-time UNIX user.  It's really just a line feed
character, so perhaps the user should be using control-J, leaving the
Enter key to be non-special.  Oh, but UNIX is mapping control-M to
control-J.  Or is it the shell doing it?  Or is it the editor doing it?

> The control-V is just an escape to let you enter the control-M and
> otherwise is ignored

Nothing intuitive about control-V.  Why not control-E?  At least one
could argue that the E stands for Escape.

> so the command means:
>    :  go to ex mode
>    %   shorthand for 1,$ (the whole file) so only intuitive the 2nd time...
>     s      substitute
>     /      delimiter
>     ^M    match the carriage return character
>      /      delimiter
>      /      replacement delimiter (replace with nothing)
>
> It  just pops off your fingers automatically like any other rY6¾ācement
> command.

Yeah, right.  I find it easier to use :1,$s/.$//, given that a DOS file
will have every line ending in a carriage return.  Don't tell me it's
more dangerous; I already know that.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Caifornia power shortage...
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 02:02:51 -0500

KLH wrote:

> [snip all]
>
> Perhaps if we strive to lessen our need for generated power then things will
> improve. Research into more economical gasolines seems to be a good start.

You moron...there is no such thing.
Learn some thermodynamics.

> But we have no real problem with our standard of living. I am sure we can
> stand to eat at a few less fast food restraunts to preserve our enviroment
> and its ecology.

good god, have you no scientific education?

> Best Regards,
> Kevin Holmes
> "extrasolar"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 07:05:49 GMT

Les Mikesell writes:

>>> Well, then we'll just have to disagree then.  I don't think
>>> that's true for the first time user who hasn't gotten any
>>> preconcieved notions from using other editors first.  You think
>>> it is.

>> Are you saying that the first-time user *will* know that hjkl
>> moves the cursor around???

> The first time user won't have a concept of what a cursor is
> or why you would want to move it around.

On the contrary, the first-time vi user could have experience with
other editors.

> In the 70's and 80's, CPT dedicated wordprocessors were a big thing
> and they represented a sheet of paper advancing past a typing line
> on the screen so it looked and worked exactly like a typewriter.

Were those the ABDick portrait mode machines?

> Literally, a white page scrolled up the screen as you typed.  If you
> needed to correct something you moved the page back down to the
> typing line instead of moving the cursor to the text.  Their claim
> (of course) was that this was 'intuitive' to anyone who had seen a
> typewriter.

Of course, according to Aaron, nothing about a computer is intuitive.

> So, not even the direction of motion can be taken as something
> you could guess, let alone the key that would invoke it.  If you
> think otherwise then you should admit that you have been
> brainwashed into it.

Fortunately, I don't think otherwise.  Remember, my statement was
that to use hjkl for cursor movement is not intuitive.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 07:09:24 GMT

Marty writes:

>>> Of what relevance is this quotation?

>> It's where the irony is, Marty.

> Classic incorrect pontification.

Incorrect, given that I reproduced the ironic statement, Marty.

>> Don't you remember what you asked me?

> Certainly, which is why I recognized the inappropriateness of the quotation.

Non sequitur, given that you asked me for the relevance of the quotation,
Marty.

>>> Of what relevance is this quotation?

>> It's where the irony is, Marty.

> Classic incorrect pontification.

Incorrect, given that I reproduced the ironic statement, Marty.

>> Don't you remember what you asked me?

> Certainly, which is why I recognized the inappropriateness of the quotation.

Non sequitur, given that you asked me for the relevance of the quotation,
Marty.

>>> Where is the alleged irony?

>> MA] Classic pontification.

> Of what relevance is this quotation?

It's where the irony is, Marty.

>>> Not at all, Dave.

>> Classic pontification.

> How ironic.

Where is the alleged irony, Marty?

>>> Where is the alleged irony?

>> MA] Classic pontification.

> Of what relevance is this quotation?

It's where the irony is, Marty.

>>> Where is the alleged irony?

>> MA] Yet another example of your pontification.

> Of what relevance is this quotation?

It's where the irony is, Marty.

>>> Where is the alleged irony?

>> MA] Still another example of your pontification.

> Of what relevance is this quotation?

It's where the irony is, Marty.

>>> Would you prefer that I allow you to mislead the readers by suggesting that I
>>> have done such a thing?

>> On what basis do you claim that I would be misleading the readers, Marty?

> Are you suggesting that you haven't suggested that I have done such a thing?

I've demonstrated that you did such a thing, Marty.

>>> Oh really?  How is it erroneous to presuppose something which has already
>>> occurred?

>> By erroneously presupposing that something has already occurred, Marty.

> Classic illogical circular reasoning.

Balderdash, Marty.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus! (OT) (humor)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 07:10:04 GMT

David Ogg writes:

> Wow, you three should get a room!

Counting problems?

------------------------------

From: Marty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 07:06:41 GMT

David Ogg wrote:

> Wow, you three should get a room!

Illogical.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 07:11:29 GMT

Jeff Glatt writes:

> JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> One would probably be a star-trek freak to use terms like "illogical"
>>a fter a light-humoured keyboard statement.

> Yay! More comments about Tholen for the digest

An illogical comment.  Yet another problem with your "digest".

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 07:12:41 GMT

Jeff Glatt writes:

>> JM writes:

>>> No, he's got a 1" something else...

>> What might that "something else" allegedly be?

> Given the intelligence level of your usenet posts, the answer is
> obviously one brain cell

How ironic, coming from someone who doesn't understand the low
intelligence level indicated by suggesting a one-inch brain cell.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 08:50:28 +0200

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:lFUY5.4221$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:90vtdh$2f8aa$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > >IIS and SMTP are certainly counted on the Win2k bug tracking.
> >
> > How can you possibly have any idea what is counted on the win2k
> > bug tracking database unless you are one of the win2k development
> > team?
>
> I don't know for sure, but one can make a reasoned guess.  Are you
> suggesting that Win2k's bug database only includes it's kernel?  Win2k is
> product.  That means that a bug reported against Win2k goes into the
Win2k's
> bug database, thus anything included with Win2k, including IIS and it's
SMTP
> server are included.

Beside, what is the size of Win2K's kernel anyway?
You really think that there could be so many bugs in the kernel itself?

------------------------------

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Server licensing Cost: Linux vs. NT
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 07:32:21 GMT

"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 9 Dec 2000 16:44:01 -0600,
> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> * perl, gcc, python, php, java.
> >
> >All available for NT as well, free of charge.
> >
> Nope.  Some of these compilers today have
> license fees attached for deployment.
>
> None which you have mentioned, but some
> do.

Oh do tell, Charlie.

I have perl, gcc, python, and java on my Unix and NT boxes, and none of them
require license fees on either platform. The python and perl home pages have
never mentioned a license fee. Activestate doesn't mention a license fee for
perl or python either.

gcc is available from a variety of sources. I have two implementations of
gcc on my NT box, and one on my Unix box. There are no license fees for any
of them.

A quick check of the php home page shows that win32 binaries are available,
and the source code can be downloaded from the site. Again, I didn't notice
anything about license fees. In fact, they're pretty straightforward about
their pricing: "...PHP doesn't cost anything. You can use it for commercial
and/or non-commercial use all you want. You can give it to your friends,
print it out and hang it on your wall or eat it for lunch." My conclusion:
no license fee.

That leaves Java. Sun gives away their Java VM for Windows, and I suspect
they give it away for other systems as well. On my Sun box, there's no
special Java license or license fee either.

-- Mike --

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Predictions (featuring Drestin Black)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 02:44:16 -0500

> Bob Hauck wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:40:41 -0500, JS/PL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > You'll find that the Linux (*internet surfing) desktop share is about
> > > .003120.  MS.* is about .9375222 as of October out of 554,519,878
> > > samples.  read/weep http://www.thecounter.com/stats/
> >
> > Why you think this is a good thing is what escapes a lot of us.  I can't
> > imagine it being a good thing to have one company control 93% of
anything.

> We should get rid of GM, Ford, Chrysler, Mitsubishi, Toyota, Audi,
> Porsche, Mercedes, Volvo, Datsun, and make everybody drive AMC Pacers.

Pacers are only similar to Linux in one respect:
Market Share

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is awful
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 07:43:10 GMT

"Kelsey Bjarnason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:YV_Y5.21255$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [snips]
>
> "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:efXY5.42312$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>

> > Which IDE drive are you using that can transfer data faster than a
> > 66Mhz controller can handle?   If they really are half the price
> > of SCSI, I'd like to get some.
>
> IBMs.  They won't do tha sustained, obviously.

If they don't do it sustained, what's the point?  Linux is always going
to have more buffered than the drive has on-board.  It should almost
never even ask for anything the drive would have in buffers.

From: "The PhantomAss" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: no.alt.arkiv,tw.bbs.comp.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Linux is INFERIOR to Windows
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 02:39:57 -0500

pl0nk!