  Re: What's the point (WJP)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.theory,comp.arch,comp.object
Subject: Re: Blame it all on Microsoft
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:45:20 -0400

Patrick Logan wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > Very good.  Now...name one piece of Microsoft code that didn't
> > originate in ANOTHER company.
>
> Microsoft Bob?
>
> The paper clip?
>
> The blue screen of death?

Very good.  Now....name one piece of HIGH QUALITY Microsoft code
that didn't originate in ANOTHER company?

DOH!

> --
> Patrick Logan
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat has become scary?
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:46:40 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > GreyCloud wrote:

>proprietory OS?
>seemed too
>GUI with
>Microsoft on the

>the

>trouble.

> > > I was wearing an Army uniform at the time enroute from Panama thru
> > > Gautamala to L.A.
> > > I guess I did stick out like a sore thumb.
> >
> > You're kidding.  Every SEADA briefing I've had tells us to ALWAYS
> > travel in civilian clothes, unless travelling on government transport.
> > [And even then, it depends...]
> >

> Didn't exist in 1968.  I was briefed, then, by the State Dept. and I was

Ah...you're older than I thought....in fact, you must be around my dad's age.

> told it was safe.  It was safe, spit don't hurt.  Just didn't know that
> it was going to happen then. When I got back, I reported it to S-2.  I
> also went by commercial air as I was paying for it out of my own pocket,
> vacation.  All I had on me was the ok to go on vacation.
>
> After that the Gov. chartered commercial air flights and scheduled
> vacations when it was available.  But when I changed duty stations I had
> to go by MAC.
>
> I'd suppose that things were starting to change.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Buy Microsoft stock!!!
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:48:42 -0400

jtnews wrote:

> "Bobby D. Bryant" wrote:
> >
> > ipslo wrote:
> >
> > > Just build your own computer. The parts are really cheap these days and
> > > you have total control and it is actually a fun project.
> >
> > That's what I've done the past two upgrade cycles.   I highly recommend it.
> >
> > No more inflated prices to cover the "free" bundled software, either.
> >
> > I hate to think what I would have had to pay to get the equivalent of what I
> > just built from Dell.
>
> I've gone through this same argument before.
> But whenever I use something like PriceWatch.com
> and add up all the equivalent components I'd need
> to buy I always wind up with a machine that costs
> about the same or a little bit more than if I just
> bought one of the cheapest boxes from Dell.

But unlike the cheap box from Dell, you already have the improved
hardware on your home-built machine.

                                    Homebuilt   Dell
                                    ---------   ------
Initial cost                            $X      $X
cost to Upgrade to desired spec         $0      $hundreds

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:52:08 -0400

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9c0ph4$sid$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > 1)  A winmodem that is most likely not supported under Linux
> > > 2)  A cutting edge video card that isn't supported yet by the shipping
> >         ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > And that is likel to reduce the cost how?
>
> By "cutting edge" I mean new, not "high end".  Many newer cards are intended
> to be low-cost solutions, such as the ones that use main memory for their
> video RAM.

What kind of moron would want that?

> Prior to 2.4, this wasn't supported by any of the Linux kernels
> (and yes, it required kernel support, not just X support).  I'm sure it's
> been backported to 2.2, but none of the shipping Linux distros have it as
> far as I know.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "MH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Feminism ==> subjugation of males
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:56:20 GMT

"jet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9c06um$1o3m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> MH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:vEFE6.1319$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Any man who thinks a woman should be paid the same for equal work is a
> > self
> > > flagellating idiot?
> >
> > No, just any man who marries one.
> >

> Any man who marries a woman who thinks she should get paid the same as a
man
> for the same work is a self flagellating idiot?
>
> LOL.

Pay is not the issue. I've no problem with women getting equal pay.
The point I was making, my opinion obviously, is that a man is a
"flagellating idiot" if he were to marry a feminist.
 Get it now?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why do Win advocates suck?  Part 1
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:58:10 -0400

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> In article <bIYD6.60652$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
> >         I have posted a few times here and there, but what amuses me is this;
> > Windows trolls complain about how useless, unfriendly, incomprehensable
> > linux is, but most linux users have used windows for an extensive amount of
> > time.  So after all the bashing of whom has the "lazzy" os I say it is
> > Windows.  Can you do "True" OS maintanence in the CLI?  Can you get any
> > good documentation with windoze?  At least I can type "info rm" and get a
> > FULL DETAILED discription of usage and envocations for the command!  Have
> > you tryed "help fdisk" in windoze?
>
> fdisk is a good example of how bad the documentation can be on Windows.
> However... for most things on Windows, you do not _need_ documentation.
> It's made obvious by the GUI - why do you think GUI's have taken off in
> such a big way?
>
> >         Argue as you will but Linux has taken my blood and I shall give my energy
> > to the revalotuion.  Because people deserve the best!  And with Millions of
> > beta testers how can you complain.
>
> When the best is still Windows... IMHO.
>
> >         P.s.  Ya Windoze might have better games, but why buy a $1.5K piece of
> > silicon to play games when you can buy a PSX2 for $300?
>
> I've never paid $1.5K for a piece of silicon. I've paid that kind of
> price for a complete system which lets me play games and write software.
> Can I do that on a PSX2?
>
> >         P.s.s. If windows is so "great" why can it be brought down with a
> > "dumb-ass.txt.vbs"??????
>
> It can't if you don't run Outlook (or VB scripting).
>
> If Linux is so great, why can I take it out with:
>
> while (true) fork();

Another red herring.

in /etc/profile, put in the following code:

MAXPROCS=60     # maximum number of processes for a non-root user
                # use whatever number you think is reasonable

case $USER in
        root)
                ;;
        *)
                ulimit -u $MAXPROCS
                ;;
esac

> --
> ---
> Pete Goodwin
> All your no fly zone are belong to us
> My opinions are my own

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.singles,soc.men
Subject: Re: Linux advocates posting from Windos 98 (what to do with them)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:59:32 -0400

Donn Miller wrote:

> Chad Everett wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 17:52:43 -0600, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > >Aaron has testicles??????
>
> > He used to.  The were removed when he was hung by his testicles during
> > Desert Storm.
>
> Actually, he was castrated by a radical Democratic feminist.  This is
> why he hates Democrats and feminists (and women in general).

Wrong.  I love women in General.

It's the ill-behaved, self-centered, narcisistic, conceited variety
which is so prevalant in North America which I detest.

Hope that helps

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone have any stats on how many times RedHat 7.1 is being
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 00:00:46 +1200

If I remember correctly they have an off shoot called "Redhat
Professional Services" that concentrates on consulting etc. Also, that
doesn't include the support they provide to IBM and other vendors who
load servers with Redhat.  As for SuSE, they sell solutions out of the
box, such as the domino server (A partnership between Lotus and SuSE
Linux), mail server and lots of other software centred around the SUSE
Distro, I also think they do consulting as well.

Matthew Gardiner

--
Disclaimer:

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 08:03:52 -0400

pookoopookoo wrote:

> > However, with activation codes, MS is re-introducing price into
> > the picture.
>
> This just means that we'll all have the corporate version with the security
> ripped out of it. Don't kid yourself. So instead of this:

> Your messages will say this:

Naaaaa, if I were to update the string to imply LoseXP, I would also
change the Mozilla version to 6.something.

> > And that will be their downfall.
> > Hhehehe
>
> Well, no, you'll be using it for sure right? Well, believe me, you won't be
> the only one.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 00:05:04 +1200

> It's merely an excuse politicians use, to motivate the public, when
> it's convenient.

Hence the reason I have no time for the "free Tibet" crowd and other
sandal and sock wearing pseudo intellectuals, yet another group I would
send off to a "re-education camp" to finally give there lives some
meaning.

Matthew Gardiner
--
Disclaimer:

From: WJP <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's the point
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:09:11 -0500

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 02:40:42 -0600, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

//snipolla//

>That's the problem with linux. With all the tools and control it gives
>you, you have only yourself to blame if someone hacks your system.
>
>With Windows you know security is hopeless anyway and don't take it
>quite so personally when the script kiddies come calling.
>
>So, one might say that I prefer to use Windows on my Internet system
>because it's less secure than linux! :-P

This may be very true, Dave, however, there are programs available that
will supply  immediate protection while using Windows on the internet -
and, similar to Linux, they are free.  I use Zone Alarm, personal
edition.   Right now, I'm averaging about six "port scans" a day (as
registered by ZA).   I have gone to the GRC.com web site and tested my
network/system and it reports that I'm in "stealth" mode, which provides
some assurance that I cannot be hacked - within Windows, that is.

I am presently reading the Sams book, "Mastering Linux Security", so I
hope to have SuSE security measures in place very soon.   In the
meantime, I must rely on Zone Alarm to keep the script kiddies out of my
machines.

YMMV
Regards,
Bill Powell