From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:38:11 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis writes:

>> Russ Lyttle writes:

>>> For those not inclined to read below I will recap. Tholen claims use of
>>> power cords is intuitive.

>> Correct; people do not generally need to consult a manual to know what
>> to do with a power cord.  Do you disagree?

> Sometimes, this disregard is at their own peril.

Most times, no peril is involved.

> Tholen...
>   when you finally realize how utterly worthless your life is...
>   remember to slit lengthwise.

Kulkis, when you finally realize how utterly worthless your invective
is, remember to come back here and apologize.

> [...]

>> Isn't that what I first asked about?

>> RL] Unplug it before moving the set.

>> DT] Are you saying that the cord was damaged from strain?

>>> Intuitive, right?

>> Irrelevant, right?

>>> Its a power cord. It should be intuitive.

>> And it is.  They plug the appliance in and expect it to be powered.
>> You claimed that it's not intuitive, and tried to prove it by pointing
>> to service calls that you made, but you have yet to describe a single
>> case involving someone who didn't know enough to plug it in.  Instead
>> you've talked about an internal connection coming undone, bent prongs,
>> and such, none of which illustrates a case in which the user didn't
>> know enough to plug the cord into a wall outlet without consulting a
>> manual.

>>> Was it intuitive that you should push on the back of the set to
>>> reconnect the power cord?

>> I wasn't talking about that end of the cord.  What is intuitive is the
>> end that people plug into a wall socket.

>>> Lets see. You say a power cord is intuitive.

>> Correct; people do not generally need to consult a manual to know what
>> to do with a power cord.  Do you disagree?

>>> I point out some non intuitive things about power cords.

>> You point out some thing that has nothing to do with the end that
>> people generally know goes into a wall socket (strain that causes an
>> internal connection to become lost, which says nothing about the
>> user's intuition regarding what to do with the other end of the power
>> cord).

>>> You say they weren't intuitive because the user didn't know about them.

>> On the contrary, I said "It's very easy to be unaware of an internal
>> connection coming loose."  That has nothing to do with knowing what
>> to do with the other end of the cord.

>>> My Websters defines intuitive as "capable of being know by intuition.
>>> And it defines intuition as "direct perception of fact independent of
>>> any reasoning process".

>> And experience with other electrical appliances means that people
>> generally do not need to apply any reasoning process to know what to
>> do with the power cord of a new appliance.

>>> But you argue that my examples of non intuitive facts about power cords
>>> are invalid because they are not intuitive.

>> On the contrary, I said "It's very easy to be unaware of an internal
>> connection coming loose."  That has nothing to do with knowing what
>> to do with the other end of the cord.

>>> It was intuitive.

>>    "nothing in this universe is 'intuitive'"
>>       --Russ Lyttle

>> Do make up your mind.

>>> You only need two prongs to get electricity, so if you break off the
>>> third prong, you will use less electricity and your bill will be
>>> cheaper.

>> Which is the unneeded third prong?

>>> It is a good example of how relying on things being "intuitive" is
>>> dangerous.

>> Oh really?  Was it intuitive to intentionally modify the prongs to

comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:35:50 GMT

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OS and Product Alternative Names - Idiocy in action
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:42:08 -0500

mitch wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:56:49 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >But INFERIOR OPERATING SYSTEMS ==> Inferior applicatoins.
> >
> >There's no getting around this.
>
> Utter pish.
>
> It is entirely possible for an application on an inferior operating
> system to be far better than the equivalent application on a superior
> operating system.

At what cost?
How many extra man-months of programming?
With how many subtle, hard-to-disect bugs?

> --
> Smileys are nothing but conceptual wheelchair ramps for the humor impaired.
>  - Geoff Miller

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:42:57 -0500

mitch wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:53:25 -0500, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >Perhaps, but with a disproportionate amount of work.
>
> Ok - I see the cause of argument here:  I am a user of the apps, you
> are a developer.
>
> I know nothing of development of software for linux vs. windows, so
> I`ll just trust you on this one.
>
> I don`t care how the apps are created...

The more difficult it is to create the app, the more expensive it
is.  Both in up-front costs (paying the programmmer(s), and in
damage control (bugs).

> --
> Smileys are nothing but conceptual wheelchair ramps for the humor impaired.
>  - Geoff Miller

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Predictions (featuring Drestin Black)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:43:38 +0200

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:08:57 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> kiwiunixman wrote:
>> >
>> > I wasn't aiming at Canada (I have visited Canada, and it ROCKS!),
>mainly
>> > the neighbour towards the south of Canada.
>>
>> Canada's neat...as long as you're not a resident in the country.

>Yeah. Sigs are neat too...as long as you're not some dumb loser
>with "size" issues who needs to make his 20+ lines long.

They do say that sig length is inversely propoertional to penis
length.

Note: I have no sig >:-)

------------------------------

From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:43:40 +0200

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 08:28:08 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>> > If you think left-wing liberalism is about freedom, I suggest
>> > that you go visit North Korea, Russia, China or Cuba, or talk
>> > to any of the millions who risked their lives to escape the
>> > Warsaw Pact countries to North America.
>>
>> So you're just being politically correct.  Instead of using
>> the deprecated word "communist", you now use the p.c. word
>> "liberal".  I get it!  Gee thanks.
>>
>> And, since some people in the U.S. call themselves
>> "liberals", that must mean they're what we can no longer
>> call "communist".  Your logic is subtle, yet awesome.
>

>Actually, most liberals ARE communists.

You may find that communism is the opposite of liberty.

------------------------------

From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:43:41 +0200

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000 07:06:51 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Monkeyboy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Real computers don't do x, y or z" is a stupid argument. Computers are
>hardware. Hardware fails. OSs are software (yes, even ROMs). Software fails.
>Accidentally (bugs) or deliberately (user). To pretend otherwise is not
>unlike an eunuch attempting to masturbate. Distracting but ultimately
>futile. Nothing of any consequence will come of it (pun intended).

Actually, eunuchs can masturbate etc, they're just jaffas.

------------------------------

From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:43:42 +0200

YES! You can get it from www.josephmrozek.net

------------------------------

From: JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suggestions for Linux
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 20:43:43 +0200

On 13 Dec 2000 04:21:59 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Tim Palmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> By getting a reel OS and using reel softwair that has graffix and not pipes.

>>So, you want drag-and-drop pipes with graphically superior 3D textures?
>>The idea is fun.  And it's so crazy someone might actually develop it.

>Microsoft wil do it then  Linux wil take 10 yeres to coppy it.

Troll? Correct?