From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: 30 Jan 2001 23:06:41 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Brian V. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <94ssr1$ae9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) writes:
: |> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: |> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) writes:
: |>
: |> >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Harlan Grove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: |> >>
: |> >> > Maybe there's a good reason for literacy tests after all.
: |> >>
: |> >> Perhaps.  But ill put my verbal SAT score up against yours or anyone
: |> >> elses, any time.
: |>
: |> > You mean  << I'll >> and  << else's >>?   ;)
: |>
: |> No, I meant exactly what I typed.  See dejanews for my multiple arguments
: |> for the granular use of capitals and contractions in informal prose.

: Oh, that's *really* authoritative.  It's pretty sad how lazy people have become
: or ignorant of correct grammer when it comes to "prose".

Chosing to deliberately disobey a grammer rule is not always a
case of laziness or ignorance.  I chose to not use the standard
American English method of quotation because it is illogical.

Consider this sentence:
  Standard way: "I went home," Bob said.
  More Logical way #1: "I went home", Bob said
  More Logical way #2: "I went home" Bob said
  More Logical way #3: "I went home." Bob said

The standard way is illogical because the comma is there as an
artifact of the process of putting the quotation into the sentence,
and NOT a part of what Bob actually said - therefore it makes no
sense to put it inside the quotation marks.  If it's there at
all, it belongs outside what was actually quoted of Bob (logical
way #1).  It could also be argued that it is redundant since the
quote marks already tell you where the quote ends and the pause
should go, and therefore there is no need for the comma (logical
way #2).  It could also be argued that since what Bob said was
a complete sentence unto itself, that it needs a period (logical
way #3).  But the standard way is completely arbitrary nonsense.

I see no problem with deliberately seeking to change the grammar
rules when they make no sense.

------------------------------

From: Salvador Peralta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler predictions...
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:14:58 -0800

Nik Simpson quoth:

> Yeah, but who is going to set it all for her? Her PC came with Windows &
> Office installed on it and I was able to get everything else she needed
> for Internet access setup and running in 10 minutes while I was home one
> weekend,

It would take the same person the same 10 minutes to do the exact same
thing on a pre-installed linux system.

> I couldn't do the same for LINUX and that is true for many people
> whether you want to deal with it or not.

FUD.  You can get Mandrake, install all the packages that you want, many
more, in fact than you can install on Windows, and be up and running in
less than an hour if you handle the installation yourself.  As the
installer finds the hardware for you little or not configuration is
necessary.

If you buy a pre-packaged system, it would take about 10 minutes to get
connected and you wouldn't have to worry about Mom getting virii from email
attachments.

--

 Salvador Peralta                  -o)
 Programmer/Analyst, Webmaster     / \

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 30 Jan 2001 23:12:27 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: yeah <sarcasm> what a horrid idea to actually believe in God huh? <sarcasm>

: Considering the US was founded on Christian beliefs I find this normal
: and hopeful that people might actually have a set of morals not based on
: their own ideology (which would be inherently imperfect given we are human).

That's the lamest argument for god-based morality ever.  If you start
from the premise that human judgement is imperfect and therefore bad
to base your moral system on, then *all* moral systems are equally
flawed.  Even if you use a religious system you had to use your human
judgement in the first place to come to the conclusion that you should
use the religious system.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 30 Jan 2001 23:17:20 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Steve Ackman wrote:
:>
:> On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 20:11:37 GMT, J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:> >John Hasler wrote:
:> >
:> >> Edward Rosten writes:
:> >> > Christian morals were also invented by people.
:> >>
:> >> And the US was _not_ founded on "Christian beliefs".
:> >
:> >You're splitting hairs -
:> >
:> >There was a strong deist influence, at the very least.
:>
:>   Jefferson was a Deist, yet was branded an Atheist by his
:> Christian detractors.  Deism is a far cry from Christianity.
:>

: Deism is a belief in the existance of God.

One that has nothing to do with Christianity.  Which is kind of
important considering what this subthread is about.

: Atheism is a belief in the non-existance of God.

No it isn't.  It's the lack of the belief that god does exist.
To call this a belief rather than simple default skepticism is
to assume that god existing is the default, which is circular.

: Obviously, Jefferson's detractors were lying.

Yes, they were.  Many Christians assume everyone who isn't one
of them is an atheist.  But what Jefferson was isn't relevant
here, what matters is that he wasn't Christian.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.microsoft.crash.crash.crash,alt.microsoft.sucks,alt.sad-people.microsoft.lovers,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,microsoft.windows.crash.crash.crash
Subject: Re: Bill knows what's best for you
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:28:02 +0000

In article <YNGd6.463$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Trebor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:YkEd6.29287$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Install the Windows Media Player version 7.00.00.1958 update on Windows
> 2000
>> and, when the install is finished, your machine will be rebooted by the
>> installer program .. WITHOUT giving you an option to reboot now or
>> reboot later. Isn't that wonderful?
>
> This isn't true.  When it gets to the last screen, it says it's
> finished, and tells you specifically that clicking next will reboot the
> computer.  All you have to do is click cancel at this point to abort it.

Yeah! Windows is so intuitive!

-Ed

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 30 Jan 2001 23:29:32 GMT

Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> : You misspelled, "Leftist ACLU fantasies"

> : The Constitution does NOT prohibit mixing the state and religion, it
> : merely prohibits:

> : A) the ESTABLISHMENT of a religion, and
> : B) government interference in religious organizations.

> : Freedom OF religion =/= Freedom FROM religion.

> The ability to be free from religion if you so choose is a
> prerequisite for real freedom of religion.  If everyone is
> required to be religious, then you've got government regulations
> of what does and doesn't count as a religion, and *that* is
> definately a case of government interference in religious
> organizations.  One necessary (but not sufficient) test to see
> if government is keeping it's grubby little hands off of
> religions is to see what happens to those who choose not to
> participate in a religion.

I do not want bush spending my tax dollars on religious organizations.

"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream."

-george dubya bush

--
"It's natural to expect there might be people doing stupid things
with computers"

---Michael Vatis, director of the FBI's national infrastructure
protection center commenting on Y2K concerns about hacker attacks

------------------------------

From: "Interconnect" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Win2k vs Linux? Why downgrade to Linux?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:34:28 +1100

Hi David you sound like a smart guy, however my personal opinion is that
your statments are inane.

You're trying to portray Win2K as some sort of holy grail regards ease of
use and one size fits all. The truth is experience counts as does the
particular area you are going to deploy the operating system into.

You talk about rote memory and arcane commands.  If I get various MSCE etc..
course materials and ask you questions on various topics would you know all
the answers, off the top of your head?

At least the *IUX community is dynamic and vibrant in nature, with people
willing and eager to exchange information on how they do things.

My suggestion is do what WORKS for you! If Windows suits your objectives
then USE it. Windows is a fine product, but please don't come here and put
down an OS and people interested in helping others, simply because your
experience may be limited with *IUX systems and therefore your perception of
their basic operations as "obscure and obdurate"

David Shuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:WVuc6.261$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > As long as you don't mind using slrnpull to create a local spool and
> > > deal with it.
>
> What the he** is "slrnpull?". Look, this is simple:  Windows 2K is both
> granular and stable.  So stop your whining.  The simple fact is that
Windows
> 2K is much easier to administer than Red Had or any other Linux Distrib.
> ever thought about. It seems to me that Linux adherents *LOVE* obscure
> references to programs that are generally included in Linux distributions.
> It seems to me that a lot of folk substitute "obscure and obdurate"
command
> line instructions for intellect.  Real intellect comes from making the
> obscure crystal clear; an objective Linux has never embraced.  Indeed,
Linux

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:39:54 -0600

"Steve Mading" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:957i20$h7q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> : Deism is a belief in the existance of God.
>
> One that has nothing to do with Christianity.  Which is kind of
> important considering what this subthread is about.

By that token, Judaism isn't welcome in this country either, which is
ridiculous.

> : Atheism is a belief in the non-existance of God.
>
> No it isn't.  It's the lack of the belief that god does exist.
> To call this a belief rather than simple default skepticism is
> to assume that god existing is the default, which is circular.

No, Atheism is the believe that god doesn't exist.  Agnosticism is the lack
of a belief in god.

Atheism is active disbelief, Agnisticism is skepticism about the belief.

------------------------------

From: Nigel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rh 6.2 and wu-ftp 2.6.0-14
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:35:01 +0000

> (That's why the ignorant twit keeps singing the praises of Microsoft's
> rediscovery of 1960's methodologies).

Don't be silly, MS don't rediscover old ideas, they 're-innovate' them  ;-)

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: KULKIS IS A MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:36:23 +0000

?

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:39:18 +0000

In article <HKGd6.3918$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>> Rather one-sided to be using "vs".
>
>> Mabey, but he is still arguing with you (even though you don't
>> respond).
>
> Illogical, given that it takes two to argue.

Read his posts. It looks like he's arguing, in fact he is arguing, but
he's getting no response. He's certainly attempting to argue.

>> I think vs. is justified.
>
> What you think is irrelevant; the fact is that it takes two to argue.

>>> Not accurate enough.
>
>> I believe it is, but that's just an opinion.
>
> What you believe is irrelevant; the fact is that it takes two to argue.

See above.

>>> Actually, the situation hasn't changed.  I'm still ignoring Malloy
>>> like I was at the beginning of the thread, and Malloy is still posting
>>> his ridiculous responses like he was at the beginning of the thread.
>>> He hasn't moved on.
>
>> That part of the situation has changed, but Marty has since joined in,
>> which means that some parts of the situation have changed.
>
> Not the parts relevant to you calling it "malloy vs tholen".

How about

malloy vs (tholen)

to indicate the subject, but also to indicate that you are not taking
part. But, I don't think usenat likes (s in names.

-Ed

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Poor Linux
Date: 30 Jan 2001 23:35:06 GMT

Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

:> Then explain why the following program gets 99% CPU usage, and
:> then brings the system to a crawl (so that when I type the
:> kill command to get rid of it it takes a few minutes to
:> respond, and pay attention to my keystrokes.)  I'd really like
:> to know if this is something settable in the scheduler that I
:> can fix.  (Now, keep in mind that the program has to be left
:> running for several hours before it will start affecting the
:> performance that badly.  The longer it is running, the more
:> CPU time gets assigned to it.)
:>
:> /* Program to suck 99% of the CPU time: */
:> int main( int c, argv **v)
:> {
:>    int x = 0x0000ffff;
:>
:>    while(x) /* X is always nonzero, but making it a variable
:>              * like this prevents the compiler from noticing
:>              * that I'm deliberately building an infinite loop,
:>           * so it doesn't complain to me.
:>           */
:>    {
:>       x = ~x;  /* Silly statement so the loop actually
:>                 * does something and the compiler doesn't
:>              * try to optimize the loop out of existance.
:>              */
:>    }
:>    return 0;
:> }
:>
:> Compile and run the above program, then wait a few hours.

: First of all, there's a bug :

: 1c1
: < int main( int c, argv **v)
: ---
:> int main( int c, char **v)

: Secondly, how long to we have to run it to notice?  I can see that my
: VMWare isn't quite as quick to respond, but it can still play
: Quicktime movies just fine.  I'm using RedHat 7 with kernel-2.4.0, in
: case you're wondering.

: USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
: ink      19364 88.2  0.1  1304  304 pts/9    R    11:59   1:22 ./suck_time
:                                                           ^^^^

Odd.  I'd really like to know what I'm doing wrong then, because
busy-loops like this have always caused me trouble when I use them,
taking time away from other CPU-intensive tasks like compiling.
This has been the case for as long as I can remember on Unix, and
still plagues me today - on different systems from different vendors.
The worst culprit of it was an early port of a PC text editor into
unix, that didn't change the input method from busy-looping to
polling like it should have.  When I'd run that, I'd get calls from
the sysadmin asking me to knock it off because I was slowing down
everyone else on the machine (they were trying to compile).

I'd really like to know if there is something I can do to get the
bahaviour you all seem to be getting from this.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: THOLEN IS A MISERABLE PIECE OF SHIT
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:37:53 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Marty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

> >> That part of the situation has changed, but Marty has since joined in,
> >> which means that some parts of the situation have changed.
> >
> > Actually, the situation hasn't changed.  I'm still ignoring Tholen, and
> > have been for over a month.  Dave is still posting his ridiculous
> > response like he had in other threads.  He hasn't moved on.
>
> Who is Dave?

Dave Tholen... Numero Uno Ignoramus of Hawaii.

> -Ed
>
> --
> Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
> weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr
>         - The Hackenthorpe Book of lies                   |@
>                                                           |eng.ox.ac.uk

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Interconnect" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: More Linux woes
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:43:25 +1100

Too bad your job of sweeping and mopping floors coupled with a Windows hobby
will NEVER EVER get you close to a position to fire anyones ass.

news:ceOc6.78196$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: GODDAMNED STINKING PIECE OF SHIT THOLEN
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:38:22 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Marty" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > "[Bad-Knees]" wrote:
> >>
> >> Can't we just all get along:)
> >
> > Unnecessary.
>
> Illogical.

Don't start with that Tholen-ish crap.

> --
> Did you know that the reason that windows steam up in cold|Edward Rosten
> weather is because of all the fish in the atmosphere?     |u98ejr
>         - The Hackenthorpe Book of lies                   |@
>                                                           |eng.ox.ac.uk

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hartmann Schaffer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 30 Jan 2001 18:51:15 -0500

In article <955k14$35j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Tony Neville wrote:
>Was the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness a sentiment to
>be found in Humanism in those days?   If so, Humanism then as NO
>resemblance to Humanism today with its embracing of Marxist theory
>swamped in political correctness in the form of muliculturalism, moral
>relativism, deconstructionism, and social engineering, its vilification of
>anything Western and its fawning praise of primitive tribal cultures,
>its cynicism and nihilism.  Humanism is brain dead.

if anything id braindead, it is this decription of humanism

hs

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Kernel upgrade - not bad at all
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:49:21 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> "NOYB" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Funny that you go on and on about how great Windoze USB support is.
> >
> > Log on to HewlettPackard's website, and read the woefully long FAQ
> > about getting a printer to cooperate with Win95/98/Me and USB.
> >
> > I followed the directions to the letter and I still had to do a
> > msconfig, regedit, remove drivers and reinstall to get my 932C to
> > work.
> >
> > Most frustrating fiasco I ever dealt with.  Yeah, windoze and USB werk
> > great.
>
> Try that same printer under Linux.  And not these pre-configured box sets
> either.  Try doing it under Debian.
>
> > That same printer mind you installed without a HITCH in Mandrake 7.2.
> > That was without upgrading the kernel!  Hmm.. come to think of it.  My
> > intellimouse explorer optical was detected without a problem as well.
>
> Again, Mandrake 7.2 is throughly hard modified to support USB without "a
> hitch". As for the HID device (your mouse) Windows will find that instantly,
> just like most other USB peripherals on "the market".  XFree86 doesn't even
> recognize USB devices yet, it has to rely on GPM and other OS level support
> for the peripheral.

Clue for the clueless:  XFree86 will NEVER recognize USB devices....NOR
WILL
ANY OTHER APPLICATION.  THAT's what the OPERATING SYSTEM is for, shit-head.

The reason why Windows is such crap is because things that are SUPPOSED
to be in the operating system....Microshaft leaves out...and things that
should be user-level applications....Microsoft crams into the kernal.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.