From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:41:58 GMT

The Ghost In The Machine writes:

> [...]

>>> Correct.

>> Glad you agree.

>>> Both are correct.  Nothing about a computer is intuitive,

>> Incorrect; consider the power switch.  Or did you need to consult a
>> manual to determine how to operate it?

> Have it your way;

This isn't Burger King.

> a power switch is indeed intuitive in that:
>
> - it's a natural action to push it
> - the effects are immediately noticeable
> - it is prominently placed in most instances.

Is that all you can think of?

>>> and hjkl for cursor movement is not intuitive.  (Just extremely useful.)

>> Not necessarily useful.

> To me, it's useful.  To you (and most others), the arrow keys may in fact
> be far more intuitive.
>
> This is not a problem.

Irrelevant, given that it wasn't described as a problem.

>>> Not by the dictionary definition.  Of course, YMMV.

>> Whose dictionary, yours?

> Yes, mine.

And what dictionary do you have?

>>> Yes.  It has been "scrolled off" this news post and my newsreader (SLRN)
>>> can't view messages by reference ID, unlike Netscape.

>> No, it hasn't scrolled off, given that it has been retained in your
>> follow-up.

> Oh, OK.  I guess that's my official definition of "intuitive", then.
> I hadn't realized that.

Non sequitur, given that we were talking about *my* "definition", which
you had erroneously assumed to have "scrolled off".

>>> And no, I'm not going to drag out and fire up Netscape just for that. :-)

>> Unnecessary.

comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:45:24 GMT

>>> Better than broadcasting that one does *not* have a sense of humor,
>>> methinks. :-)

>> You make it sound like those are the only two options.

> And a third option would be ... ?

Leaving the question open.

> I'm curious.

Do people who go to church on Sunday always "broadcast" whether they
do or do not have a sense of humor in that forum?

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Is the end looming for the Microsoft monopoly?"
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:34:33 +0100

kiwiunixman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The average Computer Luser is as think as two short planks, the same

   I think you mean "as thick as two short placks".

> dip-shits who can't even setup a VCR for christ's Sake! Fuck, I setup a

Hey, I can't. Not sure that I even own one? Is that thing with flashing
lights and a glass front the microwave or a vcr?

> VCR at the age of 9! because I read the fucking manual (RTFM). The

Uh, I think I used it to wipe up the floor. It was in translated taiwanese.

> average person is like a sheep! people still take up smoking even though
> thousands die each year! people still drink and drive even though they

Never understood any of that. Still don't.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: swithching to linux
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:36:20 +0100

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I'm running Debian 2.2 {Potato} on a 486 Toshiba with 5 meg of ram
>> and a 500 MB hard drive.  I'm currently installing it and went
>> I'm getting very good performance on this system even though it
>> has almost no resources to use.  Linux makes things work!

> Quite frankly, I don't believe you.

Hey, I compiled linux for years on a 4MB 486sx50. I used to do it
overnight.

It's been upgraded to 8MB ram, and I still use it. Runs X.

> Hell, I have a P100 with 72 meg of memory that I used to compile the world
> on FreeBSD and THAT was painful to use while it was doing that.

It takes longer than a kernel compile, as far as I recall.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Joe Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:10:35 GMT

Tholen tholes:

> >> Windows has brought us the largest collection of
> >> sponge heads in computing since the invention
> >> of pac-man.
>
> > Correction: Tholen uses OS/2
>
> Where is the alleged correction, Glatt?

All but the most feeble-minded understand Jeff perfectly even if
they disagree, Tholen.

> Apparently you don't like to be a member of the "sponge heads".

Notice how Tholen uncritically accepts the statement at the top of
this message and automatically thinks it applies to Jeff.  Nice
twisting of language, Tholen, and one may ask: where's your
self-vaunted logic, eh?  This is a demonstration of Tholen
Logic(tm) -- don't ask for it by name!

------------------------------

From: "Aleksandar V." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help plea from Newbie (Monitor)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:56:31 +0100

> I have one small problem. My monitor (Tatung 14SBS) is not listed in
> the Redhat 6.0 install program. I got it working using Custom and got
> all the specs from the Tatung website. But Linux won't run it at 800 x
> 600, only 640 x 480.Can I change this without reinstalling and if I
> change monitors how do I set the new monitor up?

In RH 6.0 you can use text-mode setup tool (type 'setup' in console
emulator).

By the way, I also know that it won't work in 800x600 resolution unless you
have 2 or more megs or ram on your video card. So if the card is some older
type with 1 mb memory - 640x480 is the best you can get.

--

~ Sascha.
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: Kulkis digest, volume 2451897
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 15:25:15 -0500

John Jensen wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> : [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> : > How ironic
>
> : Tholen, name ONE non-relative who thinks you're worth having around?
>
> Unoffical Scoring:
>
>   Tholen: 3 /* low on content, but not actually harmful */
>   Kulkis: 1 /* low on content, and increasingly nasty */

I don't suffer fools like tholen, or you, lightly.

> John

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 15:26:32 -0500

John Jensen wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> : [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> : > How ironic
>
> : Tholen, name ONE non-relative who thinks you're worth having around?
>
> Unoffical Scoring:
>
>   Tholen: 3 /* low on content, but not actually harmful */
>   Kulkis: 1 /* low on content, and increasingly nasty */

Actually, Tholen is extremely aggressive.
He just does it in subversive ways.

> John

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What if Linux wasn't free?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 15:28:36 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Tom Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> yet
> skills
> paper

> > > They're supposedly making Win2K certification a bit more stringent...
> Time
> > > will tell.
> > >

> > Is this going to be the normal definition of stringent, or
> > the Microshaft definition of stringent?  (every other commonly
> > used word seems to have a different definition when used by MS)
> >

> That's the problem with usenet, you couldn't see that my tongue was firmly
> planted in cheek.

Yeah, i know...

just clarifying.

> --
> Tom Wilson
> Sunbelt Software Solutions
> reply to : twilson at wingnet.net
>
> Linux User #194021
> http://counter.li.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New to Linux, and I am not satisfied.
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 02:41:11 -0500

Said Les Mikesell in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 17 Dec 2000 03:03:57
>"Anonymous" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Interesting: the posts show up here, avoiding whoever is canceling
>> >the others.
>>
>> Excuse me?  Am I to understand someone is canceling my posts?
>
>Just a guess.    From the @home news server, I see responses to
>posts under your name but never the originals.   These are  showing
>up OK.   I suppose it could be some sort of news propagation
>glitch but it seems unlikely.

Not considering what I've seen before.  What can I say?  I've been
trying to stick with a small-town service provider.  They've been really
nice, but the industry just doesn't support this stuff.  Its there
fault, in the end, (the small town guys) because they don't run their
own news service.  As my "not-sig" shows, its some pathetic crapware
service.  They have five news servers (news, news2, news3, etc.) and
some of them get all glitched some times, it seems.  They're going away,
as far as I am concerned.

Does anyone know of a good news provider?  I think all the good ones
(Deja, Supernews, etc) have all "gone web", and while they might offer
NNTP service, I'm not interested in financing a company who doesn't care
about my needs, and is focused on catering to stupidity and lock-in.  My
email I'll get from commercelinks (my new employer), and I'll try to
find some minimal ISP for dial-up services.  Anybody have a good line on
some good throughput values for a dial-up ISP with 800 service?

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!
http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Windows an operating system like Linux?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 02:41:01 -0500

Said Erik Funkenbusch in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 18 Dec 2000
>"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

>http://www.its.bldrdoc.gov/fs-1037/dir-025/_3689.htm
"An integrated collection of routines that service the sequencing and
processing of programs by a computer."

   [...]
>> > Indeed, but they didn't have to model the drivers after the DOS driver
>> > model.  That was because OS/2 was originally supposed to be DOS 5.
>>
>> Point of fact, OS/2 was originally intended to be DOS 3.x, but it wasn't
>> ready, then 4.x, but it wasn't ready, and so on. The 286 DOS box was a
>> big, huge, problem. IBM insisted that OS/2 1.x run on a 286 because
>> they, as yet, did not have a 386 based system.
>
>Actually, they insisted on a 286 because they had promised their AT
>customers that they would support them.

Microsoft, not having to support customers who own hardware already sold
to them, was free to act anti-competitively in this regard.

>OS/2 was started in 1985, and I believe that DOS 3 already existed then (as
>did the 386).  Not to mention that IBM shipped 386 systems simulataneously
>with OS/2 in 1987.

The point is, OS/2 1.0 was going to be "the successor to DOS".  Followed
by Win95, NT 3.5, NT 4.0, Win98, Win2K, and now Whistler.  Each was
going to finally "get rid" of DOS.  Now Microsoft is refusing to provide
discounts to volume WinME customers who still want to hold on to a
simple low-end PC OS, and resist the forklift upgrade (and order of
magnitude bump in pricing) associated with W2K.

Mark's theories actually show quite a bit of consistency with the
situation as it stands.  Windows, as Win32, a 'middleware' package, runs
on top of DOS as an OS.  Microsoft, in wanting to provide customers with
what they ask for (don't ask me how that happened, we'll just pretend)
wants to get rid of DOS.  But NT, the VMS-like OS that they also
implemented Win32 on, isn't really that much better (at the time, it
wasn't, though years of work have drastically improved its stability to
the point where it is almost 1/10th as reliable as Unix).  And the
demands of backwards compatibility (coupled with the insistence that the
NT based code somehow has to sell for ten times as much, even if they
sell just as much of it) prevent NT from being any better at supporting
Windows than DOS was, because Windows itself is really really bad.

   [...]
>> Take a look low down dude. The Windows executive is a DPMI environment
>> and Windows run in a virtual DOS machine within it. BTW: Windows runs in
>> the same virtual machine as the actual DOS OS because each Windows
>> program has to have a DOS PSP.
>
>A "DPMI environment"?  What the hell is that supposed to mean?  Windows do
>*NOT* run in a virtual DOS machine, they run in unique 32 bit protected mode
>address spaces with certain portions of the system VMM mapped into those
>contexts.  Windows itself runs in what's called the "System VM" which is a
>protected mode 32 bit address space of it's own.

And is this "unique 32 bit protected mode address space with certain
portions of the system VMM mapped into those contexts" a DPMI
environment?  How is it qualitatively different than a "virtual DOS
machine", from the hardware's perspective?

>This statement alone proves you haven't a clue what you're talking about.
>Not even IBM claimed this in their infamous "OS/2 versus Chicago" document,
>which itself was highly misleading by confusing the concepts of pre-emption
>with rescheduling.  Schulman, who you claim to be a DOS and Windows expert
>says quite clearly that you are wrong.

Erik, you shmuck.  *You* claimed Schulman was an "OS expert"; Mark
pointed out his understanding is, at least, limited to DOS and Windows.
Mark never claimed he was a DOS and Windows expert, and you know it.
Putz.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Conclusion
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 02:41:20 -0500

Said Ayende Rahien in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 18 Dec 2000
>"Jim Richardson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
   [...]
>If I understand the way Netcraft works, it reads the HTTP reply from the
>site, a proxy or a file wall or whatever wouldn't interupt with that, but
>they would interrupt with the packet, therefor, Netcraft would report an NT
>system with Unix uptime, which would result in 1/10 the real uptime of the
>Unix box and wouldn't report the NT uptime at all.
>However, on Netcraft, they would list the Unix's uptime/10 as the NT's
>uptime.

No, no.  You're acting as if there's an "uptime count" in the packet
header.  That's not the way it works.

>"Netcraft determines the operating system of the queried host by looking in
>detail at the network characteristics of the HTTP reply received from the
>web site. "

As far as I can tell, it determines the operating system by recognizing
the 'network characteristics' in the HTTP reply which provides the
uptime counter.  Apparently, there is a way to get a web server to
provide the uptime counter for the OS, according to Netcraft.  I know of
no such mechanism, but then I don't know anything at all about web
servers, specifically.  Nobody has provided any evidence, aside from the
necessary presumption supplied by the fact that Netcraft publishes
numbers, that such a mechanism exists, but, then, nobody has refuted it
in any way, either.  This imaginary method of getting a system uptime
from "tcp/ip headers" is nonsense, as far as I know, and I'm not
entirely ignorant of tcp/ip and the details of its headers.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux lacks
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 02:41:13 -0500

Said nf in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 18 Dec 2000 08:22:36 -0500;
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>says...
>> Access is the biggest joke next to Microsoft, I absolute refuse to use
>> such as piece of shyte.  I prefer (on a Wintel Machine) using either
>> Lotus Approach 9.5 or Filemaker 5 (used on both Mac and Wintel).
>>
>> kiwiunixman
>>
>> <snype>
>
>Yes ... Filemaker is a great application.

Actually, no, Filemaker sucks.  It isn't really relational, it just
pretends.  Its forms-based, which makes it *easy*, but that's something
else entirely.

>However Access isn't all
>that bad.  It broke new ground when it was released.  A database which
>allowed fully relational tables that could be normalized properly for
>$99 ???  (That was 1.0!)

When you say a software product 'breaks new ground', you generally
aren't talking about product dumping pricing.  Not that I recall this
being any particular feature of Access.  The retail price was probably
less than the competitor, notably FoxBase at the time (MS bought them
when they still couldn't force people to use crapware), but discount
pricing was commonplace for every product.  And a version 1.0 that
wasn't priced substantially below competition wasn't going anywhere.
Access was crapware, and it still is.

>The newest version comes with an optional SQL
>Server 7 engine that can be installed which makes it far easier to scale
>up to SQL Server later.

You get paid for this, nf?  It sure sounds that way.