From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mitch)
Subject: Re: Tell us Why you use Windows over Linux.
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 08:46:21 GMT

On 19 Dec 2000 17:48:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:

>mitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>Note that not all people who use instant messenger software are thick
>>>or lazy.
>>>

>> Is that a retraction?
>
>No.

I didn`t think so...

>> I all too well understand how computers work, but I also understand
>> that I must make computers work for me.  At the moment, that means
>> using windows to run the apps I require.  If that is what you describe
>> as "singing praises", then hallelujah.  I`m afraid, however, that I am
>> just stating a rather bland, unemotional fact.
>
>Using microsoft's instant messenger is horrible for a myriad of reasons,
>only some of which we've actually explored in this thread.

Not really.  'Using' it is fine.  The actual protocols used and
such-like may indeed be horrible, but as an end user, this doesn`t
really concern me.

>> "Microsoft makes an OS upon which I productively run several
>> applications without undue distress."
>
>For gods sake, dont use linux.

Why not?  I`d rather use linux, but regardless of the maturity of the
kernel and windows managers, the maturity of the applications
available leaves a lot to be desired.  I understand and applaud linux
advocates who give honest advice to some people such as "Don`t use
linux, you don`t understand what it`s all about, you`re happy with
windows, don`t change." , but simply to say don`t use it because I am
able to use windows productively *regardless* of the os's limitations
is a bit harsh, and smacks of os bigotry - something which I find very
disturbing and childish given the otherwise intelligent conversations
which I have taken part in.

>> Maybe they could use this in their next advertising blitz?
>
>I dont know, do you think it will work better than "where do you want to
>go today?"

No, but it would certainly sum up the experiences of the majority of
end users.

I never did figure out that "where do you want to go today" thing.  My
first thought is usually "Barbados, but I really have to go to
work"...

--
Smileys are nothing but conceptual wheelchair ramps for the humor impaired.
 - Geoff Miller

------------------------------

From: Matthew Soltysiak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Kulkis digest, volume 2451894
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:15:27 GMT

And why are people bothering with this fool??  Ignore him.  He's an idiot.

--
Matthew Soltysiak
Comp Sci/Soft Eng

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sun Microsystems and the end of Open Source
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:10:41 +0200

"Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>

> > AFAIK, none of MS major products was finished in time, all of them
slipped
> > past their deadlines.
> > Win2K was no exception in this matter.
> > Linux used to follow "release early & often" paradigm, the 2.4 kernel is
> > big exception.
> > Linus should put his foot down and say, that is enough, nothing gets in
> > anymore, now we fix the bugs, and then we release, the rest can *wait*
for
> > 2.5 or 2.6 kernel.
> >

> He already did.   Only bugs are being fixed now, no new function.   The
current
> 2.4 kernel is in very good shape.

That is still over a year overdue.
Why did he abandoned the "release early & often" paradigm?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 07:10:41 +0200

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (him self)
Subject: Re: System's analysis?  What does this person do ?
Date: 20 Dec 2000 09:36:15 GMT

On 18 Dec 2000 21:13:23 GMT,
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Try 5 years system administration and architecture experience,
> with preference to over 2 years project management and network
> planning experience.  School doesnt matter.

The ability required to complete a good degree
program is a necessary ingredient in the making
of an analyst.

------------------------------

From: "ID" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: is this related to nfs?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 17:51:42 +0800

hello,

i have a web-server on a rh7-linux
and i have a samba-fileserver also a rh7-linux
they are on different machine, i want to allow the files
on fileserver to be served  through webserver

i appreciate if anyone can tell me how to do..

thank you all.
ismet

------------------------------

From: Nick Condon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 10:46:27 +0000

"Chad C. Mulligan" wrote:

> "Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > "Chad C. Mulligan" wrote:
> >
> > > "Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> be
> > > indicated

> yourself or
> go
> > > cap in
> choose
> > > your own
> > >
> > > I don't have to employ an expensive programmer just to fix drivers now,
> do
> > > I?
> >
> > You want them fixed for free? Not a communist are you?
> >
> > It always takes expensive programmers to fix drivers, who ever they come
> from.
> > Microsoft (et al) charge you before you open the packaging, so it feels
> like
> > you're getting fixes for free. They're not free, you just paid for them in
> > advance.
> >

> And I get them when needed.  Not so with Freeware.

Rubbish, you get them when (and *if*) the vendor decides you can have them. The
vendor can choose to stop support at any time and there is nothing you can do
about it (Can you say "NT on Alpha"?).

And "Freeware" != "Open Source". Many open source products are available for
sale.

>  Additionally, the little
> extra I pay for quality software wouldn't be a months pay for a staff
> programmer.

s/quality/closed/g. Paying for your software doesn't make it closed, and closing
the software doesn't make it quality.

So pool your costs with others and buy a support contract.
- You can shop around for them, not so with closed software.
- The vendor can't pull the plug on you, not so with closed software.
- You might already have the skills or the staff to support it yourself, not so
with closed software.

> And my stuff gets fixed if it should be broken.

Maybe. If the vendor decides to fix it. They don't want to fix too many things,
after all they've got a new release to sell you, coming soon. (Can you say
"Windows 98"?)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Wednesday 20 December 2000 NYLUG Party and Raffle
Date: 20 Dec 2000 05:51:49 -0500

The party starts at 6:30 pm in the IBM building on 57th Street and
Madison Avenue on the Island of Manhattan.

Come on down!

Particulars below.

Jay Sulzberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org

  edit-level="light">

From: Jim Gleason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Letting everyone know that no alcohol will be served nor is any allowed
into the party. Sorry, but we would lose the facility if we break these
rules.

Please check out our new web site which now offers terrific articles
written by William Abernathy and Greg Pennington. The new site still has
some broken links and some spelling errors, but mucho thanks go out to
Alan Chen, Sandy Greer, Jackson Maio, Dave Danziger, John Bacalle,
Ron Guerin and all the others who volunteered their time to pull this off.

- Jim

Jim Gleason               VA Linux Systems
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.valinux.com
phone: 212-858-7684       President, New York Linux Users Group
fax: 212-858-7685         http://www.nylug.org

 From: John Bacalle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 To: NYLUG Talk List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 Subject: [nylug-talk] Meeting Announcement: 20 December 2000

    New York Linux Users Group Holiday Party (NYLUG.ORG)

    Wednesday, December 20, 2000, 6:30-8PM at the IBM building, 9th Floor,
    590 Madison Avenue, Manhattan. Located near 57th Street.

    In place of our monthly meeting is a very special event, the first
    Holiday Party held by the NYLUG.

    There will be raffle for a Linux workstation (valued at $1,500)
    donated by VA Linux Systems, and a pair of tickets (valued at $200)
    for a lucky twosome cruise aboard the NYHRC Party Yacht, donated by
    the New York Health and Racquet Club. Tickets at $4 each will be sold
    at the meeting, with the proceeds used to help offset the cost of the
    party. So please be generous.

    Food and beverage will be served, with a big "Thanks!" to Dallas BBQ!

    With this meeting's focus on kibitzing and merriment the informal
    meeting speaker will be our own Jim Gleason, who will announce our new
    officers and the launch of the new and improved NYLUG.ORG Web site.

    The meeting will also lend an opportunity to celebrate and mark a
    milestone for our group: The two year anniversary of the New York
    Linux Users Group.

    The year 2000 marked many other events affecting our community, for
    example:

      * Continued success, growth and press ink for the Linux, Free
        Software and Open Source communities
      * A stunning high-profile antitrust trial verdict against Microsoft
      * An Apple UNIX
      * Linux becomes IBM's universal operating system
      * The release of the production 2.4 kernel (we hope!)
      * Sadly, the recent death of the author of the ubiquitous and happy
        sounding Ping utility

    On balance we have much reason to rejoice our good fortune, and ample
    inspiration to improve our lot and our technical communities. On the
    human front let us appreciate and care for our families our friends
    and neighbors this holiday season with equal enthusiasm.

    In that vein the New York Linux Users Group is sincerely thankful and
    indebted to the commitment, generosity and dedication of all the
    individuals and sponsors that contribute in ways big and small to the
    group and its mailing lists. NYLUG can never have too much of such a
    good thing.

    See you on December 20th. Bring your good cheer and positive thoughts
    for the raffle. And, to those who can't make it for any reason we wish
    you a safe, happy and fun holiday season.

    January 2001 Meeting Preview:
    David G. Korn will be our January special guest speaker. David is the
    creator of the Korn shell, one of the many available UNIXen command
    line interface shells. If all you know about the Korn shell is that
    its O'Reilly book cover is a turtle (why?) or that it is the OpenBSD
    project default shell you won't want to miss this meeting.

    David will be talking to us about the AT&T AST OpenSource Collection.
    This is a collection of software tools and libraries, including tools
    such as the Korn shell, nmake, and Graphviz.

 --
 John Bajana-Bacalle                         f./vm. +1 212 894 3778 x1057
 (slrn:*v****:Tin) (Mutt:v*****:Pine) (GnuPG:v*****:PGP) (GNU:v*****:OSI) N

Jim Gleason                     VA Linux Systems
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]          http://www.valinux.com
phone: 212-858-7684             Pres. New York Linux Users Group
fax: 212-858-7685               http://www.nylug.org