Linux-Advocacy Digest #986, Volume #34            Tue, 5 Jun 01 15:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (Fred K Ollinger)
  Re: Why should an OS cost money? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (Fred K Ollinger)
  Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) (.)
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (Herr Maestro Bantz)
  Re: Windows advocate of the year. ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Windows advocate of the year. ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again) (The Ghost In The Machine)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (chrisv)
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (Fred K Ollinger)
  Re: aaron kulkis steals his brother ian turdboy's crack pipe ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (Fred K Ollinger)
  Re: Very interesting cracker article, and XP warning. (Form@C)
  Re: Windows advocate of the year. ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Windows advocate of the year. (chrisv)
  Re: Best Distribution? ("Edward Rosten")
  Re: Best Distribution? ("Edward Rosten")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: 5 Jun 2001 18:10:00 GMT

: (As for Linux, I have no first hand experience, but it wouldn't surprise
: me if the job is no simpler in that case. Even on the Mac it can be quite
: a pain.)

I just usually set up the machine all over again after I have moved data. I
usually burn all data onto a new cd and just bring that over.

On a debian box, once hardware is up--which should be done by manufacturer
if you are going to have a valid comparison, I merely apt-get the apps I need
when I find that they aren't installed.

Prefs are stored in /home, so if you move that over then you are all set.
Don't know how to update a bunch of user's passwds, but I don't run a big
network w/ lots of users so I manuaully change those when I need them.

Not really hard. I would think it would be easiest for me to upgrade a win
machine b/c I don't know anything about one, I wouldn't have an special stuff
on there. :)

Fred

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why should an OS cost money?
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:28:13 -0500

"Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
> >"Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> You're confusing cost with price. The retail price of a boxed set may
> >> include installation support, but cost of a boxed set only includes
> >> the media and the manual. The difference between the price and the
> >> cost is the gross margin.
> >
> >Oh, bullshit.  We're talking about the cost to the consumer, not the
> >cost to the manufacturer.
>
> What do you mean "we", pale-face? Let's review what I wrote:
>
> > Selling boxed sets is a way of covering the cost of the media. The
retail
> > price of box-plus-manual covers the costs of making them.
>
> > So how do you sell support? Well, first you consider where your costs
are.
> > Your costs are keeping support geeks on staff to answer support calls.
i.e.
> > *salary*. They are only indirectly related to how many boxes you sell,
or
> > how many incidents you deal with. If both of those values are zero, you
> > still have pay your staff, so the obvious model is subscription based,
> > which is how most support contracts are sold. It also has the added
> > advantage of encouraging the vendor to make their stuff as reliable as
> > possible, which the incident model doesn't.
>
> Seems pretty clearly about vendors to me.

No, it does not.  "The retail price of box-plus-manual" is what I was
talking about.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:30:13 -0500

"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9fi8iq$md7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:oI%S6.7225$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9fhjt5$49d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > it's
> with
> > >
> > > I don't have this book, and orderring it will take a month.
> > > Can you give a list of the reasons?
> >
> > Basically, the reason is that the way NT is designed, if the GUI
subsystem
> > faults, then the OS blue screens anyways, whether or not it runs in
kernel
> > space.  The OS's main thread drops to a blue screen when the GUI
subsystem
> > dies.
> >

> Okay, why I don't like this?
> Why would the kernel BSOD just because the GUI crash? It should restart
it,
> not stop.

Why should it restart it?  If the GUI crashes, that means something is
seriously wrong, and will likely just crash again.

> This doesn't sound right, and it's certainly not an excuse.
> It would crash *anyway* ?

Yes.

> Beside, I understand that Win2K2 can boot without GUI.

Kindof.  It boots with a GUI stub that does nothing.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Date: 5 Jun 2001 18:30:25 GMT

Larry Elmore ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Peter da Silva wrote:
: >
: > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: > Larry Elmore  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: > > If you want a custom car, you go to a custom car dealer. If you want a
: > > mass market car, but _without_ a transmission because you want to
: > > install your own special one, do you honestly expect to be able to go to
: > > a mass market auto dealer and pay _less_ for that car?
: >
: > AOOOGAH AOOOOGAH! BAD ANALOGY WARNING! BAD ANALOGY WARNING!

: Only for the too literal-minded. What manufactered commodity item would
: make a better analogy, and why?

I don't think that being literal minded is bad when dealing with a computer.
They take everything literally.  Only those who are afraid to talk about the
details of something need to rely on bad analogies. Analogies can be used to
clarify a point, not to prove one, if they are the only proof.  Better not
to rely on analogies at all when the results of analyzing the actual case
make things clearer.  Most of us understand computers well enough, as
well as marketing to know when we've been conned by an unfair pricing
scheme.  Noise about auto analogies will not change our minds.

Fred

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:31:47 -0500

"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 14:43:59 +0200, Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > That depend, if MS standartise .NET, then you could write a client to
any
> > platform.
>
> It is highly doubtful that MS will write a .NET client for Linux.  It is
> nearly as doubtful that they will publish enough of a spec for a third
> party to make a client that is 100% compatible with the Windows one.

They have already published such a spec, and MS has already said that a
Linux client was coming.

> On top of that, it is doubtful that developers will avoid the tempation
> to use unmanaged code to begin with.

This will make porting easier, since they don't have to port the managed
portion, only the unmanaged portion.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: 5 Jun 2001 18:31:52 GMT

drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 05 Jun 2001 02:04:00 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)) wrote:

>>> What the HELL are you talking about?
>>
>>Its called *humour* (sometimes) so lighten up please.
>>
>>Dr Square, I meant that as Agent is NOT free, someone had to pay for it,
>>are you saying that is was a gift ?

> No, I cracked it.

Interesting.  Adam at Forte thinks so to.  Heres to headers.

=====.

--
"George Dubya Bush---the best presidency money can buy"

---obviously some Godless commie heathen faggot bastard

------------------------------

From: Herr Maestro Bantz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 13:35:22 -0500

> aubrey wrote:
>
> > Now explain the deep recession in industry.I know those poor souls out
> > of a job would love to hear it.
>
> it's like beanie babies you saturated the market place with all you could
> and everybody has  all they need for the time being and they don't wanna
> pay retail... etc. etc.

Also look at oil, with higher prices they're going to pump like there ain't
no tomorrow. So in a year or so oil will be taking it in the shorts.

Look if a 1970's 3 bedroom rambler sold a decade ago in San Jose for
$160,000 and then it was sold for $850,000 whose the bigger fool.

Look they're techies, high finance is as kosher to them as gunk-off is in
their bhong or going to the gym, or seeing daylight or not staying up all
night long, or for the old fat ones those damn plastic pocket protectors...

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows advocate of the year.
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:36:32 -0500

"Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> I would say Erik F., but at times he makes excuses for Microsoft
> intead of just admitting "well, OK, MS really shouldn't do things this
> way".

I don't "make excuses".  You are simply judgemental, and unwilling to accept
that any viewpoint other than your own can be right.  I don't see things in
black and white, but rather shades of grey.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:37:46 -0500

"Robert Morelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message > > Seconded.
Honorable mention to Erik F.

> I only pop into this group occasionally.  The only name I actually
> recognize among the posts is Eric Funkenbush because I once
> had a frustrating exchange with him.  (He was unable to wrap his
> mind around a negative point I was making about Linux,  and kept
> trying to pointlessly argue against it.)  Funkenbush strikes me as
> more of a Microsoft spokesman than a Windows advocate.  He
> invariably defends the company,  sometimes maintaining implausible
> positions to do so.

Have you never heard of a devil's advocate?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 18:43:13 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, flatfish+++
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:35:30 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:04:02 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>

>>Please explain how, and how this would be different to windows.
>
>setup.exe
>
>vs
>
>Good luck

Of course he's right.  Perish the thought that a user or sysadmin
might actually use ls, cat, or less to look around for a series of
text instructions such as AAAREADME, README, README.1st, INSTALL,
or anything like that!  No, we must be mindless zombies and
click on SETUP no matter what (note that Win2k has an option
to hide the .EXE or .BAT; it's not that important, is it? :-) )
and everything will install happily ever after...

Riiiiiiiiiight.  Pull the other leg, it spews poison gas and
makes every baron in the room sick...oh, wait, wrong analogy... :-)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random obscure book reference here
                    Does this message really exist?  Where?

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 18:43:39 GMT

drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Mon, 04 Jun 2001 22:54:13 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>>
>>If I object to, and repelled by, someone who dumps poison in the food of
>>other people sitting at the table, is that supposed to indicate that I
>>have some "inner conflict" or is it my RATIONAL recognition that this
>>person is a clear and present danger to EVERYBODY he comes into contact with.
>
>Admit it Aaron, you're just coming up with all this shit to try and
>justify your homophobia. You're not fooling anyone.

If he finds their behavior distasteful, that's certainly his right.
But, the claim that they harm the population at large by spreading
hepatitis, is a bit wacko.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:49:28 -0500

"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9fia45$o19$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:a_%S6.7272$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>

> > You act as if this is stolen work.  The authors VOLUNTARILY sold their
> > software and/or companies to MS.  MS did not do a hostile takeover.
> > Further, MS likes to buy software to get themselves into the market
right
> > away, then enhance the software over time.  MS-DOS 6.22 is virtually
> > indisquishable from QDOS which was bought in 1980 for instance.

Er.. I meant Is virtually unrecognizable, but it looks like you understood
what I was saying.

> IIRC, DOS 1.0 didn't have directories, it didn't have memory management,
> etc. There has been changes, but not very much.

Considering that DOS 6.22 is about 10x larger than QDOS, I have to wonder
how you can say that.  I'm not just talking about the programs that come
with it, but the actual .sys files.

> > No, he called the GPL a cancer.  Get your facts straight.
>
> Afraid not, he called "Linux" a cancer, he probably meant the GPL, but he
> said Linux.
> Then again, MS is trying to blur the limits between Open Source, GPL, &
> Linux.

Yes, he did say Linux, but he specifically also said "that's how the license
works" and the license is the GPL.

> > The LGPL is not the GPL.  They are incompatible and the FSF discourages
> it's
> > use.  Further, there are very few LGPL'd libraries.
>
> The LGPL & GPL are compatible.
> The FSF most certainly try to discourage the use of any non-GPL license.
> And there are 1393 projects on SourceForge alone that are under the LGPL.
> I would say that this is a lot of LGPL libraries.

You're assuming that they are all libraries.  LGPL does not restrict itself
to libraries.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:54:07 -0400

chrisv wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> >now....kindly REFRAIN from all acts which make you a walking public
> >health threat, and DISCOURAGE everyone else from same.
> >

> Methinks he doth protest too much!

There is no such thing as too much protest against people who
stupidly contract several deadly diseases.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Date: 5 Jun 2001 18:53:58 GMT

Bill Todd ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Microsoft did not 'take' any Apple software, for example:  they certainly
: copied a lot of its 'look and feel', but then Apple had copied a good deal
: of that from Xerox PARC to start with, and IIRC that fact played into
: Apple's eventual loss in the courts.  And acquiring companies for their
: technology is quintessentially American (and is a major reason entrepreneurs

Anything an American does is American. Mugging, raping, can also be American.
Just because something is good doesn't make it American.  Even something
traditional in American is open to question. Slavery comes to mind.

: start small companies in the first place, so should not be considered a Bad
: Thing).

Why?  I can decide this for myself.  You are saying that Americans did this
all the time so it's not bad.  This brings to mind other robber barons.
It might not be bad for stock holders nor the employees, but it's bad for me,
and that's enough to get me to fight it.

: I'm glad for you that you've apparently found a kind of religion in Linux,

I did.

: but don't expect others to react favorably to overt proselytization -

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.  I was converted by linux 'zealots'.
I learned why they were zealous and I am too. Zealous meaning extemely excited
about something. Most win people aren't so zealous, there may be a reason why.
It's easy to look at those who are in love and make fun of them, especially
when one isn't getting any themselves. :)

: especially if you don't have your facts (and thoughts) straight.  You also
: should learn to trim the quoted material in your replies.

I almost cut this. :)

Fred

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aaron kulkis steals his brother ian turdboy's crack pipe
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:54:32 -0400

chrisv wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Wrong again, Kook.  It was you claimed you didn't understand my
> >> meaning because I wasn't literal enough, when in fact my meaning was
> >> quite clear.  How many times must you lose to me?  (I know, you never
> >> have, right?  LOL!)
> >
> >Confusing the audience with Nonsense and Double-talk is not victory.
>
> This is why you lose.  Stop spouting nonsense and double-talk.

Pot calling the snow black

> >Hope that helps.
>
> Yes, victory is sweet!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fred K Ollinger)
Date: 5 Jun 2001 18:57:32 GMT

>> In fact I've personaly replied to messages of people
>> comming on to this news group and spreading fear about the Linux system.

>That's not MS.

Maybe, maybe not.  How do you know who these people are? I have heard that
headers w/ OS/2 lies in ngs have been traced back to MS. It only stands to
reason they would do the same for the next compeditor.

MS has a billion dollar war chest which spreads tons of FUD.  Never heard
a pro-MS person talk about this.  Linux people may lie, they may be a bit
rought, but they are doing the best to fight a billion dollar beast.  I'm
very impressed at how well they are doing.

Fred

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Very interesting cracker article, and XP warning.
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Form@C)
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 18:27:37 GMT

"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
news:9fhc81$qne$[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> "Form@C" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>>
>> <snip>
>> > Yeah, but come on, all those scabs living in 3rd world places are
>> > hardly going to be able to afford to get on the internet are they?
>>
>> Why worry about internet demand in the 3rd world? Just the US could
>> easily swamp the existing address space - when every computer, phone,
>> tv, radio, fridge, freezer, toaster, coke machine, stove, alarm
>> system, cctv system and table lamp has its own IP address! And that's
>> only for starters...
>
> No way in hell.
> We are talking *128 bits* number.

Eh? for *existing* address space? Nope.... I think you must have misread my
post or replied to the wrong one! :-) We arn't on IPv6 yet (well, most of
us anyway!).

--
Mick
Olde Nascom Computers - http://www.mixtel.co.uk

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 20:59:26 +0100

In article <HE9T6.8048$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Donn Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> I would say Erik F., but at times he makes excuses for Microsoft intead
>> of just admitting "well, OK, MS really shouldn't do things this way".
>
> I don't "make excuses".  You are simply judgemental, and unwilling to
> accept that any viewpoint other than your own can be right.  I don't see
> things in black and white, but rather shades of grey.

The rest of us see in colour ;-)

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 14:00:33 -0500

"Fred K Ollinger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9fja2s$9jk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> In fact I've personaly replied to messages of people
> >> comming on to this news group and spreading fear about the Linux
system.

> >That's not MS.
>
> Maybe, maybe not.  How do you know who these people are? I have heard that
> headers w/ OS/2 lies in ngs have been traced back to MS. It only stands to
> reason they would do the same for the next compeditor.

Once, about 10 years ago there was a guy from MS who was saying various
things in OS/2 newsgroups.

It's truly amazing how people repeat this stuff without even knowing
anything about the source.

> MS has a billion dollar war chest which spreads tons of FUD.  Never heard
> a pro-MS person talk about this.  Linux people may lie, they may be a bit
> rought, but they are doing the best to fight a billion dollar beast.  I'm
> very impressed at how well they are doing.

Remember, they have the support of billion dollar beasts like IBM, and SGI.

------------------------------

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 19:03:02 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Have you never heard of a devil's advocate?

An especially appropriate term for a defender of the MS Corp.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Distribution?
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 21:04:32 +0100

>>If you have your whole email address at some point, some automated
>>software will pick it up and start spamming you. That's why there's lots
>>of wired variations, such as mine,below.
>
>>(u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)
>
> So this translates to [EMAIL PROTECTED] ?

Indeed it does.

>>/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d
>>f 5 -1 r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0
>>rmoveto}for/s 15 d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for
>>showpage
>
> But what the hell is all this?

It's postscript.

If you take the whole sig, () text included, but not the -- and run it
through a PS interpreter, it will display the message in the sig in a
more ornate manner. If you want to put it through a PS printer, you need
to prepend the line:

%!PS-Adobe-2.0

before sending it to the printer.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 21:05:24 +0100

> drsquare wrote:
>> >If you have your whole email address at some point, some automated
>> >software will pick it up and start spamming you. That's why there's
>> >lots of wired variations, such as mine,below.
>>
>> >(u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)
>>
>> So this translates to u98ej r@**************ecs.ox.ac.uk ?
>
> Well that's one to the spammers then. I am sure Edward will thank you
> for that!

GAK!

I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out :-)

-Ed