Linux-Advocacy Digest #999, Volume #30           Thu, 21 Dec 00 00:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: Tholen and Kulkis digest, volume 2451899 ("Joe Malloy")
  Re: Kulkis digest, volume 2451894 ("Joe Malloy")
  Re: Windows review ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Red hat becoming illegal? ("David Casey")
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Windows Stability ("Otto")
  Re: Since this is an Advocacy.... ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Who LOVES Linux again? ("Colin R. Day")
  So how do we get from here to there? (mlw)
  Re: Sun Microsystems and the end of Open Source ("Colin R. Day")
  Linux is free. (mlw)
  Re: Sun Microsystems and the end of Open Source ("Colin R. Day")
  Re: Sun Microsystems and the end of Open Source (Gary Hallock)
  Re: Uptimes (sfcybear)
  Re: Name one thing Microsoft INVENTED.... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks. ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Since this is an Advocacy.... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever ("Tom Wilson")
  Re: Windows - Is It Really Easier to Use? ("Les Mikesell")

From: "Joe Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: Tholen and Kulkis digest, volume 2451899
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:16:35 GMT

I don't know what's more delightful, Kulkis vs. Tholen or Tholen vs.
Kulkis, but one thing is for sure: they deserve each other!

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:BIc06.25007$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Today's Kulkis digest.  He's back up to eight postings per digest.
>
> 31> Since Tholen is an oxygen thief, you must be an oxygen
pickpocket.

> Classic invective.
>
> 32> I suggest you try getting accepted to a REAL university-level
> 32> computer institution, like Berkely, MIT, Carnegie-Mellon, or
> 32> Purdue...
>
> Then you too can learn how to compose a 38-line .sig and use it
every
> day!  Of course, that presupposes that Kulkis went to one of those
> institutions.
>
> 32> When you've done that...then get back to me.
>
> With his own 38-line .sig.
>
> 33> I prefer to make the fool suffer.
>
> You're suffering?
>
> 34> LENGTHWISE, Tholen....slice LENGTHWISE.
>
> 35> LENGTHWISE, Tholen....slice LENGTHWISE.
>
> 36> LENGTHWISE, Tholen....slice LENGTHWISE.
>
> 37> You still haven't sacrificed yourself to the volcano, Oxygen
Thief.

------------------------------

From: "Joe Malloy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: Kulkis digest, volume 2451894
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:16:48 GMT

"Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:ycd06.8560$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Matthew Soltysiak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > And why are people bothering with this fool??  Ignore him.  He's
an idiot.

> You could at least trim his idiotic signature from your replies to
him.

But Tholen doesn't have any signature!  Methinks you got confused...

- Joe

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Windows review
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:19:50 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> Oh, right, like this proves anything.
>
> TeX is an excellent -- I'm not quite sure what to call it,
> because it's basically a converter that takes a textual
> description of a document (with lots of dollar signs, backslashes,
> and braces :-) ) and generates a device-independent file which
> can be interpreted by lots of things, among them dvips and
> xdvi (the first for printing, the second for viewing).
> Reminiscent of troff, albeit more capable and the format
> is more portable.
>
> It's the best typesetter of equations I know of, but it's
> certainly not a word processor in the usual sense of
> being able to type in a GUI and WYSIWYMGIYL (What You See
> Is What You Might Get If You're Lucky) [*].
>
> Its main drawback -- which probably has been addressed by now --
> is that it can't include pictures; the simplest way around
> that is to draw the pictures separately using xfig, then
> run the paper through twice.

Read the LATeX Graphical Companion for capabilities. One can
typeset textbook-quality graphs, which is important to me, as I
teach math.

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Intel Easy PC camera - cannot be supported in Linux!
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:22:54 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Of course they are refering to Windows 95 and 98's hideous stability
: problems, not Windows NT (after SP3) Windows 2000 or Windows Me.  They don't
: realize that OS's change.

Actually, I complain about WNT SP5.

For a long time, I was running this configuration at work (as it is what is
provided for us).  While yes, my system would stay up for a few weeks at a
time, it would get *very* flaky after a week or two.

After a time, I set it up w/ Linux.  Since then, I can leave it running
forever, without any sort of hitch at all.

Cut to my home machine.  My current desktop used to run Win98, when I was
gaming a lot.  Again -> yeah, I'd leave it up for a few weeks sometimes,
but it'd get real weird, and any heavy gaming would need a reboot.  I now
run exclusively linux on it and it has now been up for 6 weeks.

My server machine is running FreeBSD, and has been up for 4 weeks, and only
that short because I was futzing with some of the kernel files.  It had
been up for 4 months prior to that -> with no flakiness whatsoever.

--
    Jeff Gentry  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           SEX           DRUGS           UNIX

------------------------------

From: "David Casey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,us.military.army
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:25:07 -0500

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How did you know about my hemorrhoids?  I know, you figured out I'm a
> programmer!
>
> By the way, George senior really f*cked up on that one [Saddam].

I used to think that.  But, that wasn't in the UN resolution which gave the
US "permission" to be there in the first place.  Also, how would we know
that someone worse than Saddam wouldn't come into power?  Or that Iran
wouldn't take the chance and invade Iraq while they are leader-less?  It
worked out okay at the time, but the UN screwed it up after the end of the
war.  They left and Saddam is free to run around and rebuild his military
now so we'll have to fight him again later.  Seems to be a habit, eh?  Oh
well.  I wonder if we'll have four-power control of Baghdad?  The US zone,
the UK zone, the French zone, the Russian zone, the Saudi zone, etc.  ROFL!

Dave
What group are you reading this in so I can cut the others?  I'm in
us.military.army.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:24:44 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: Why should I have to pay $20 for a driver for my card?

Well, w/ Linux you got the OS for free, so count the $20 against the
cost of 'Doze.

From: "Otto" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows Stability
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:27:15 GMT

"Nik Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:T5b06.333$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

: Damn straight I'm saying that. Part of the problem is the sheer number of
: possible permutations of hardware make it impossible for a vendor to test
: more than a small
: subset of possible hardware combinations. Again, anybody running a serious
: system with concerns about uptime would be well advised not to load the
: latest drivers just because they are available. If they solve a problem
that
: you have and they are stable in your test environment go ahead, otherwise
: leave 'em alone. Again, this is not a OS specific peice of advice, ask
: anybody in an IT shop where uptime and stability is a concern whether they
: automatically load drivers just for the hell of it!
:
: Unfortunately, many people running NT have no uderstanding of these sort
of
: issues and just assume that if it's available they should load it.

I'm even questioning why would anyone need OEM video drivers on the server?
Pending on for what purpose the server is being used, the default NT drivers
work just fine. The same goes for most of the devices also. Unless the OEM
drivers provide a performance increase, more usability, etc, stick with NT
drivers.

Otto

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Since this is an Advocacy....
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:27:09 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 02:10:54 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >. However, I may have a solution for you.
> >Do a CLI install, get up and running. Now, edit /etc/lilo.conf.Find the
> >global section. Should kinda look like this:# Start LILO global section boot
> >= /dev/hda #compact  # faster, but won't work on all systems. prompt # VESA
> >framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k vga = 791 # Normal VGA console # vga =
> >normal # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k # vga=791 # VESA framebuffer
> >console @ 1024x768x32k # vga=790 # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256 #
> >vga=773 # VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k # vga=788 # VESA framebuffer
> >console @ 800x600x32k # vga=787 # VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256 #
> >vga=771 # VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k # vga=785 # VESA framebuffer
> >console @ 640x480x32k # vga=784 # VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256 #
> >vga=769 # ramdisk = 0  # paranoia setting # End LILO global section
> >everything beginning with # is a comment and not necessary. Just comment your
> >uncommented line and type vga=791. Now, save and exit. At the CLI, type lilo
> >-l (I think thats what it is. If not, type man lilo) You should see something
> >telling you everything went ok. Reboot and you *should* be ok.
>
> This is by far the best example of why NOT to use Linsux I have ever
> seen.

And this is best evidence I have seen to not take Wintrolls seriously.
OOh, people might learn how their computers work. Now Uncle Billy
can't have that, can he?

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Who LOVES Linux again?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:31:47 -0500

mlw wrote:

> > >  1.. When you ask most Linux users which Windows they are complaining about,
>they >are talking about Windows NT 4, or Windows 98.  Both of which have been
>succeeeded by >future revisions of Windows.
>
> OK, some, things have not changed. MS is still playing the "This service
> pack for sure" game.

Bullwinkle: Hey, Rocky, want to watch me pull a stable OS out of Microsoft?

Rocky: But Bullwinkle, that trick never works!

Bullwinkle: But this time for sure!

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: So how do we get from here to there?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:35:12 -0500

Microsoft Windows got where it is by the crime and villainy of Bill
Gates.

Linux's world domination depends on being being the best OS available.
This is neither unobtainable nor unreachable. The questions are: what is
missing? and, What do we need to do?

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sun Microsystems and the end of Open Source
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:50:06 -0500

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> > He already did.   Only bugs are being fixed now, no new function.   The
> current
> > 2.4 kernel is in very good shape.
>
> That is still over a year overdue.
> Why did he abandoned the "release early & often" paradigm?

There have been beta releases of test 2.4 kernels. Should Linus have just
called them release versions instead?

Colin Day

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux is free.
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:54:28 -0500

You read that some say Linux is not "free" because you have to pay for
it in some way.

The metaphors are free as in "beer" or free as in "speech."

The argument that I have heard is that one has to pay do download
software, or that if you download an ISO image, then you have to take
the responsibility of a CDR burner.

This is the most bogus argument I have ever heard. If I gave away free
beer in a restaurant, would not someone have to absorb the expense to
get there?

If I said come to my bar, I will refill your glass all night for free,
would you not have to buy the first beer?

Free is never without some cost. If it is free as in freedom, we must
stand on some values, if it is free as in beer, you still must have some
investment in the effort to acquire what ever is free.

Notice, no one ever says free as in "free lunch."  ;-)
--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: "Colin R. Day" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:52:00 -0500

"Chad C. Mulligan" wrote:

> > Rubbish, you get them when (and *if*) the vendor decides you can have
> them. The
> > vendor can choose to stop support at any time and there is nothing you can
> do
> > about it (Can you say "NT on Alpha"?).
> >

> Can you spell COMPAQ.  They are the decision makers in the Alpha market.

But COMPAQ allowed Linux to run on their precious little Alphas?

Colin Day

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:07:44 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> But not yet certified for release.
>
> Note:  Isn't it interesting now that the shoe's on the other foot, how all
> the penguinistas now think that it's good programming practice to release
> products late or not at all.  What a bunch of hypocrites.

So,  are you calling ME a hypocrite?   Please explain how that term applies to
me.   At least I know how to click on a link to find that 6.0 version of Star
Office.   All I did was respond to the statement:

> Linus should put his foot down and say, that is enough, nothing gets in
> anymore, now we fix the bugs, and then we release, the rest can *wait* for
>  2.5 or 2.6 kernel.

by saying Linus has already done that.    Gee, Chad, you seem a bit defensive.

Gary

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Uptimes
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 04:00:53 GMT

In article <Z1d06.8509$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Chad C. Mulligan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:91qho8$2kr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <8aq%5.32190$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "Martin Ozolins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >

> > > --
> > > Martin Ozolins
> > > Project Manager
> > > ComputerWorks Technologies
> > > mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > (818)244-4440
> > > "sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:916hel$el3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > you?

> > NO

CNN
> > is a
Netcraft
> > as
> > documentation

> > Maybe)
> > opinion

> > > Where's your supporting documentation or is that just your
opinion.

> > When chad actualy posts some documentation that supports any of his
> > "opinions" I'll think about posting some evidance of his BS. Untill
> > then:
> >
> > My opinion is that W2K is *NOT* stable. Evidance of this is at
> >
> > www.netcraft.com
> > www.uptimes.org
> >

> Still dancing with bogus numbers eh?

Still making claims with no numbers, eh chad? Were is documented proof?
come on chad be a man, post URL's with FACTS to support your claims!

here are the FACTS that you need to counter:

www.netcraft.com
www.uptimes.org

ANy url's from you or anyone else that claim otherwhise? Claims are a
dime a dozen (your case a penny a dozen), let's see some documented
proof!

> > What documentation has chad posted that supports his "opinion"?
> >

> Many others have posted corroborating evidence that my opinions were,
on the
> whole, more accurate than yours anyway.

What SUPPORTING evidance have they posted? What facts? Only opinions!
Show me the Links chady boy! SHow the links!

> > www.chadrules.not

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Name one thing Microsoft INVENTED....
Date: 21 Dec 2000 12:50:07 +1100

"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>John Sanders wrote:
>> Tim Smith wrote:

>> > And as did Microsoft...the new optical mouse was developed by HP.

>> I don't know who was first with it, but I was using an optical mouse on
>> Sun box in 1988.  You're making all this up, Smith.

>George Goble had a Sun II with an optical mouse in his office (EE 315?)
>at Purdue in 1984.

All very nice, but those 80's optical mouses were the kind that would only
work on their own special mouse "pad". The new thing about the new breed
of optical mouses is that they work on *any* surface (or at least pretty
damn close --- it needs some sort of texture for the little camera+DSP
thingie to do its motion estimation on).

Bernie
--
Liars ought to have good memory
Algernon Sidney

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 04:14:23 GMT

"Marc Richter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 09:12:46 GMT, Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >"kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> <snype>

> >> I use StarOffice for Linux on regular basis, and what the fuck is wrong
> >> with it? nothing.  Compare that to Microsoft's mega-mega-mega-mega-mega
> >> bloated office suite that provides millions of features, but the
average
> >> joe/jane business/home user, if lucky, use 0.01% of the features. 200MB
> >> vs. Microsofts mega-mega-mega-mega-mega bloated pro version taking up
> >> 760MB (on a Win 98 Machine).  I know which one I'd pick, and it an't
> >> MSOffice.
> >
> >The only complaint I have with StarOffice is the amount of time it takes
> >load. Once its' up though, its' great.
> >

> Yeah...it takes a while to load.
>
> On the other hand, I launched it about 2 weeks ago on this laptop and
> it's still running. That's with multiple suspends a day and all that
> other grooviness. Using Sawfish, I keep it, jpilot and Pine in one
> workspace (my "work" workspace, I guess you would say, as opposed
> to my MP3 workspace or web surfing/Usenet workspace)
>
> The on-screen display of fonts is a bit off, but:
>
> 1. I haven't spent any time whatsoever trying to address it
> 2. I don't use it to create documents, just to deal with Office docs and
> 3. The printed copy is beautiful...better than Windows for the exact
> same document. Decent Postscript support is a wonderful thing.

Its' output surprised me too. The fact that it converts my old MS documents
and spreadsheets so well is another surprise.

> My site is converting to Look-Out! 2000 for email in about a month.
> Think I'll stick with Pine :-)

You have my condolences...<g>

I'm lucky in that no-one at work could care less about e-mail clients.

If I'm working at my Linux box, I use Netscape Messenger and if I'm at my
Windoze development station (which is 99% of the time), I use Outlook.

--
Tom Wilson
Sunbelt Software Solutions
reply to : twilson at wingnet.net

Linux User #194021
http://counter.li.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 04:16:27 GMT

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:27:09 -0500, "Colin R. Day"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 02:10:54 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> >. However, I may have a solution for you.
>> >Do a CLI install, get up and running. Now, edit /etc/lilo.conf.Find the
>> >global section. Should kinda look like this:# Start LILO global section boot
>> >= /dev/hda #compact  # faster, but won't work on all systems. prompt # VESA
>> >framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k vga = 791 # Normal VGA console # vga =
>> >normal # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x64k # vga=791 # VESA framebuffer
>> >console @ 1024x768x32k # vga=790 # VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256 #
>> >vga=773 # VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x64k # vga=788 # VESA framebuffer
>> >console @ 800x600x32k # vga=787 # VESA framebuffer console @ 800x600x256 #
>> >vga=771 # VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x64k # vga=785 # VESA framebuffer
>> >console @ 640x480x32k # vga=784 # VESA framebuffer console @ 640x480x256 #
>> >vga=769 # ramdisk = 0  # paranoia setting # End LILO global section
>> >everything beginning with # is a comment and not necessary. Just comment your
>> >uncommented line and type vga=791. Now, save and exit. At the CLI, type lilo
>> >-l (I think thats what it is. If not, type man lilo) You should see something
>> >telling you everything went ok. Reboot and you *should* be ok.
>>
>> This is by far the best example of why NOT to use Linsux I have ever
>> seen.
>
>And this is best evidence I have seen to not take Wintrolls seriously.
>OOh, people might learn how their computers work. Now Uncle Billy
>can't have that, can he?
>
>Colin Day

I already know how it works. In fact I learned that way back in 1979
or so and it is old news. Now I concentrate on USING it instead of
having to figure out how it works every time I add a new piece of
hardware or software.

Windows 2000 allows me that luxury and Linux doesn't.

Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 04:18:01 GMT

On Thu, 21 Dec 2000 03:24:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>In comp.os.linux.hardware [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>: Why should I have to pay $20 for a driver for my card?
>
>Well, w/ Linux you got the OS for free, so count the $20 against the
>cost of 'Doze.

And add in the cost of the other 4 pieces of hardware that don't work
with Linux that are now effectively boat anchors.

Nope.

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 04:35:08 GMT

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 06 Dec 2000 19:04:24 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Tom Wilson wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> Are we talking about a false dialog being left on the server console or
> >> workstation or are we talking about physically pre-empting the logiin
> >> sequence with a trojan?
> >
> >Oooooooops, Funkendolt never even considered the first possibility.
>
> One could in theory emulate the actual three-netry login widget
> of an NT box; the naive user might get suckered, but the slightly
> more knowledgable (or lucky) one would hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and get --
> the six-button session manager.  Whoops!

Actually, I thought of emulating the password dialog and, after collecting a
password, violating some memory to cause a BSOD. As for the C-A-D, just
trigger the BSOD the very moment it detects any one of those keys register a
press. There's a chance it might work.

Anyway, I'm busting my ass on code that makes money, rather than mischief.
My gal scored a platinum necklace with a diamond and sapphire pendant for
Xmas which makes me rather in need of the cash <g>

> Or, one could emulate the screen saver until C-A-D, then get --
> the six-button session manager, again.
>
> How one gets around that, I've no idea.  I'm not knowledgable
> enough about NT to hack it like that -- and I'd rather write
> beautiful programs that make money, anyway. :-)
>
> (In a pinch, I could skip the "beautiful" part.)

When programming for the Windows platform, beautiful gets tossed out with
the garbage. I'm perfectly content with homely and stable.<g>

reply to : twilson at wingnet.net

Linux User #194021
http://counter.li.org

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows - Is It Really Easier to Use?
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 04:49:09 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:AFd06.11288$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Do a server install.  It doesn't ask you which, or even IF you want X
> > > installed.
> >
> > Was it too difficult to see that big picture in the middle of the screen
> > labeled 'Custom' install.    If you didn't want any choices, why are
> > you complaining that it did what you told it to do?
>
> Jesus.  Pay attention.
>
> The claim was that Mandrake does not support 4.0.1, yet their standard
> installation installs it without any question.  I'd say that's supported.

Did you want questions or not?  If you select a server or workstation
install, you are saying you don't want any questions.  Those aren't
'standard' installations, they are selections you can make.  If you
want choices, select custom instead.

Anyway, 4.0.2 is released and probably has the fix you need and
someone should have rpms ready to go.   Follow the link from
freshmeat.net to find it.