  Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it does) ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: Operating Systems? Where would you go next?
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 17:20:02 -0500

"Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" wrote:

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 12/31/2000
>    at 01:04 AM, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> >First, on the S/370 I worked on in high school, then another IBM
> >mainframe that I used at Purdue, a 3rd one that I used at Ford, and a
> >4th one I used at Kmart.
>
> And in all of that time it never occured to you to RYFM?

To tell you the truth, I've never even SEEN an xedit manual.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 17:21:01 -0500

"Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" wrote:

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 12/31/2000
>    at 01:09 AM, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> >I need to Read the manual
>
> Clearly, since you obviously haven't got a clue as to what is done in
> the hardware and what in the software.
>
> >Clue for the fucking clueless: the non-existance of characters past
> >the last existant character on a line SHOULD BE THE DEFAULT.
>
> Clue for the willfully clueless: THE BLANK EXISTS.

Clue for the BRAINLESS:  *I* didn't put the blank there.

In light of that...why does the goddamn blank exist?????

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft deemed security threat to U.S.
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 17:30:30 -0500

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Glitch wrote:

> > > what's the point of certifying an OS for security if you are certifying
> > > it when it's unnetworked? It's damn near pointless.
> >
> > Microshaft still has faith in sneakernet.
>
> Carbon-based, bipedal packet transfers...How quaint.<g>

TCP/IP over Nike

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 17:25:28 -0500

"Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz" wrote:

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 12/31/2000
>    at 01:14 AM, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> >The problem is that if you move the cursor to the end of a line, and
> >start typing, you will notice that the little "X" symbol at the
> >bottom of the screen appears, indicating that the program is not
> >accepting your input
>
> The X indicates no such thing. It indicates that you are attempting to
> inset data into a field, and that there are no nulls after the
> insertion point. The X is not displayed by the software on the
> mainframe. If you're trying to type data over trailing nulls, then you
> should be turning Insert Mode on. If you're trying to extend a field,
> you can't; the 3270 architecture doesn't allow it.
>
> >It did in 1980-83 on the Oakland County Schools S/370,
> >in 1985 on a S/370 at Purude University, in 1997 at Ford Motor
> >Company, and 1999 at Kmart.
>
> Nope, you just jumped to conclusions at Oakland County Schools, Purude
> University, Ford Motor Company and Kmart.

Yes...with the Oakland County Schools machine, I "jumped to the conclusion"
that xedit would file those characters, and ONLY those characters which
I had entered into the editor.  The assumption was contradicted by
experience...that whenever I used xedit to modify an existing file,
to append to the end of a line, the first step needed was to delete
invisible characters which I never typed in.

Now...tell me...precisely what kind of SHITHEAD makes this the default
behavior of an editor????

> Now, if you want to retract your belief in IBM's haedware quality and
> complain about the 3270 architecture, you may regain some of your lost
> credibility.

The OBSERVABLE behavior of xedit was the same at all four facilities...
thereby contradicting your claim that I was "assuming" anything.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "WMH" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Hatred?
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:31:40 -0500

"R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:92tf08$hjc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I can understand why Linux users hate
> > Windows, it is something we are
> > too frequently forced to use even
> > though it, as an operating
> > environment, is terrible at best.

I think you have this backwards. It is more often linux users who espouse
disdain for a group of people based on something as ludicrous as what
computer operating system they use. I've accepted this as fact based on the
vast majority of people I talk to. Converse with just about any linux user,
and the subject will inevitably come to some form of MS bashing. Talk to a
windows user, and they'll usually confine the conversation to windows.
If linux does enter into the conversation, it is almost always in a positive
light.

> Microsoft asserts that if users don't pay Microsoft about 20-30 billion
> a year, that they will stop making software, all computers will become
> nothing more than boxes with blinking lights, and civilization will
> revert into the Stone Age.

I know of no such assertion. This sounds grandiose , contrived, and
paranoid.
Reality, look into it.

> When Microsoft decided to get into the Internet, it ignored all
> of the standards and guidlines and began introducing it's own
> proprietary protocols.  Many of these "innovations" introduced
> severe security holes, enabled the proliferation of viruses ranging
> from benign Milissa type viruses to catastrophic "I Love You" viruses.
> Other "Stealth" viruses, including some that may have originated in
> Microsoft's labs, remain undetectable exept for the tell-tail dump
> of an encrypted file at strange hours in the morning.  It could be
> your registry, your web browser "history", or maybe just your e-mail
> log.

The Microsoft browser is more compliant than the Netscape offering.
The viral threat is easily tharwted by a competent admin.
If you were to read as much pertinent information related to these topics as
you do man pages, you would know this.

> The Linux community watches their market go through quantum leaps
> in terms of quality, reliability, ease of configuration, ease of use,
> and innovation that Microsoft can only wish they could produce, only
> to be "locked out" of the market with "Windows Only, no alteration
> of boot sequence" contracts that prevent these innovations from
> ever seeing a mass market.

Linux is not ready for the consumer desktop. If it were, its acceptance
would
have grown of its own weight. It may yet grow to mass usage. --when it's
able to.

> > What I can't understand, is the bitter
> > hatred and resentment that some
> > of the Windows zealots have.

> This is actually a very acurate word.  For many, Microsoft isn't
> a company, it's a religeon.  Bill Gates is a god.  They believe
> that if they pay enough tribute to Bill Gates, that his money
> will somehow magically flow back into their pockets.

Not only is the word not accurate,  this is pure BS.
COLA propaganda only surpassed BY MS.
I can only conclude that you are trying to be amusing, or you
are delusional.

> > They have freedom of choice, they can use
> > their environment to their hearts content,
> > they can buy almost any software for it.

I do. I have a small network at home where I run three flavors of
windows, and two of Linux. What's the problem?

> Here in the U.S. we have fundamentalist christians who, even though
> protected by law and guaranteed the right to worship as they wish,
> seem compelled to impose their faith on others at any cost.  They
> even invalidate other Christian religeons.  In same cases, they will
> even resort to violence and economic oppression.  But the Jews in
> Israel persecute Islamic residents.

Oh God. I'm not even going to ask.

> > Why spread FUD and criticize a different environment?

Same reasons linux zealots do would seem a reasonable explanation.

> True Microsoftians, followers of the Gospel According to Bill,
> must check in daily for the truth as proclaimed by Microsoft.
> They often have indirect economic interests, such as being
> Microsoft Partners, or having Microsoft as a major stockholder
> in their company (part of the price for the Enterprise License
> Agreement).  They chat with the Apostles at MSDN. and true devotees
> will even spend their evenings watching MSNBC to see what they should
> be talking about INSTEAD of the Microsoft Antitrust case.

You think anyone monkeying with MSFT has time to spread FUD
in a news group like COLA? Take a reality pill, please!
I used the case you allude to for a thesis topic for Pete's sake.
Plus, I can't stand MSNBC. But I'm still thought of as one of your true
Microsoftians.

> Absolutely.  Microsoft has a legitimate fear (that Linux driven
> innovation would leave them in the dust).  They translate that fear
> into threats of the end of civilization as we know it unless
> Microsoft is left to practice it's religeon unfettered by
> regulation of any kind.

I see the paranoia runs vvvvvveeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyy deep, huh?

> > They must be afraid of Linux.
>
> They fear the unknown.  The only way anyone can truly know
> Linux would be to spend actual time learning about it and
> using a properly preconfigured system, usually for about 3 months.
> Since you can't go to the strore and test-drive
> a Linux system, you can't make an informed opinion.

You talk as if we're contemplating death, or the meaning of life.
My God man, we're talking about a computer!
I can't take anymore of this. It reads like the manifesto of a madman.

[snipped for sanity]

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Strange passwd
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 17:34:06 -0500

Martin wrote:

> I installed 2 Turbolinux at 2 separate machine A and B. I want to make
> some users who do not need a password when they are login.

> In Machine A, I tried as following:
>
> >passwd -d user123
> >passed -S user123
> Changing password for user user123
> Empty password.
>
> (and I can login this user without a password.)

> In Machine B, I got something different as following:
>
> >passwd -d user123
> >passed -S user123
> Changing password for user user123
> No Password set.
>
> (and I CAN'T login with this user without a password.)

> Why this happened? The two machines are have same linux version and same
> config, and I tried to delete the problem user in machine B, and
> recreate again, but problem still exists.
> Thanks for any helps!
>
> Martin.

simple remove all characters from the password field of the /etc/passwd
(or /etc/shadow ) files for the usernames in question.

for mor info see
man passwd
man 5 passwd
man shadow

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: EXCLUSIVE: Hacker Steals Redhat Linux Source Code
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 17:38:09 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 02 Jan 2001 03:31:55 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >> Is this why you have said "DOS vedanya" to Microsoft OSes? :-)
> >>

> >Actually, of all the OS's I've used, Microsoft is the "newbie"...
> >
> >So...my frustration with their low quality comes from over a DECADE
> >of using reliable systems before having been introduced to Microcrap.
>
> One could quibble here, admittedly.
>
> Unix:      1969 - 1970.
>            v6 < 1980
>            v7 1982?
> MIcrosoft: incorporated 1975?
>            first DOS 1981?
>            Windows 3.1 1985?
>            Windows 95 1995
> Linux:     0.01 1991
>            1.0.9 1994
>            1.2.13 1995
>            2.0.0 1996
>            2.0.38 1997
>            2.2.0 1999
>            2.3.99-pre9 2000 (development)

I started computing in 1980.  First experience with Unix in 1983.
Escaped dealing with Micro-shit until 1995.

> (the Linux timelines are kernels from ftp.kernel.org, and everything
> looks more or less accurate, date-stamp wise).
>
> So, technically, Linux is the newbie -- but the general organization of Unix,
> a highly successful and still-used operating system, has been around
> for 3 decades, and much of it was borrowed by Linux.
>
> Nothing wrong with that, if done right. :-)
>
> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
>                     up 93 days, 16:05, running Linux.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks
Subject: Re: Global Configuration tool (WAS: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 17:41:06 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sun, 31 Dec 2000 02:08:00 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Kyle Jacobs wrote:
> >>
> >> AN operating system is only as good as the programs that run on it.
> >

> >wrong.  An OS is only as good as it's kernel.  New Programs can be
> >developed in parallel by anybody who has a copy of development tools.
> >But the kernel can only be improved by a rather limited group of
> >people.
>
> Except in the case of Linux; one can patch one's own kernel to one's
> heart's content, and submit the patches to Linus & cohorts.
> It's about as open as one can get. :-)

True... but for widescale distribution of your patch, it still
has to go through Linus or a close associate....

This is why the establishment of a good kernal is FAR more important
than anything else...

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it does)
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2001 17:43:21 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sun, 31 Dec 2000 00:40:08 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

> >> The Registry's only advantage over INI files is that it
> >> can more easily nest items deeper.  Says nothing about
> >> how easy the items are to understand.  And, of course, you
> >> have to buy a bunch of third-party Registry books, or scour
> >> Livingston's frikkin' columns, to find out the tricks that
> >> are need to work with Windows and its vaunted Registry.
> >                                                ^^^^^^^^
> >
> >You misspelled "house of cards"
>
> Indeed.  It's a truly bizarre design.
>
> While there might have been some advantage in centralizing everything
> into the hive from an API standpoint, Windows could just as easily
> have set up mechanisms whereby the .INI files were maintained by
> a similar, if not totally identical API.  Or perhaps a "split .INI"
> design -- one .INI file for generally static settings, another for
> dynamic ones (e.g., Netscape and IE seem to like to remember the
> last geometric size for their windows; presumably, that's in the
> hive somewhere).
>
> One could even envision a "multiple/split .INI design", where
> config variables are read from multiple .INI files, somewhat a la
> X11's application init files which are read into Xrm (anyone
> even understand that anymore?  I do :-) ) and which can handle
> internationalization in an elegant manner.  Local user
> preferences could be stored in .applicationrc; system-wide
> preferences would be stored somewhere in /usr/X11R6/lib (I
> forget the exact pathnames, but O'Reilly will probably have 'em :-) ).
>
> Funny thing, though -- X11 was doing this way back in the R3 days,
> if not even earlier!  And their design is far more straightforward,
> if one understands it.  (I was using R3 in the late 1980's, on my Amiga.)
> Motif has transparent support -- in fact, anything based on
> Intrinsics (sadly, GTK isn't) support the application database.
>
> As usual, Microsoft has not only reinvented the wheel, but have
> "improved it" by increasing the number of sides thereon from
> 12 to 24 for a smoother ride.... :-)
>
> And yes, the X11 application database files understand comments.
>
> The only reason I can think of for even comtemplating Windows'
> registry (re-)design is because someone was worried about bit-counting,
> specifically the wasted space in the file system for each and every
> .INI file, prior to FAT32.  A 4 GB partition had a cluster size of
> 64K!  Presumably, the hive saves a few megabytes of disk space -- only
> to lose it again because of the relative memory footprints and the
> requirement that a backup be saved (which is nice -- when it works).

They should have just made a c:\windows\config directory...

But...Microsoft's incredibly poor filesystem architecture is ridiculously
wasteful of space when using small files....ESPECIALLY in the default
configuration of making the whole disk C: (another FUCKED UP way of
doing things brought to you by Microshaft).

> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random bumpety-bump-klonk here
>                     up 93 days, 16:53, running Linux.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.