From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SGI XFS Installation Update
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:37:23 GMT

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Tom Wilson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:59:00 GMT
> <E4bi6.93$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >"Stuart Krivis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> vi is a far superior config tool. :-)
> >
> >If you're gonna be that way about it...
> >Emacs rules! <g>
>
> Either one beats EDLIN.EXE..... :-)
> (or was it .COM?)

Can't remember since I only loaded it once and never, ever again. I used
MicroEmacs for DOS early on, switching later to one I wrote myself.

------------------------------

From: Chris Webster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,redhat.networking.general
Subject: Re: RH7/3Com and 3Com Mini PCI Ethernet adapter
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 16:43:39 -0700

> >Hmmm, still waiting for Win98 to support my USB Jumpshot card reader.

> BTW what does that thing do anyway?

Reads compact flash cards (for digital camera in my case).  Mounts just
like a disk, then you can copy files on or off.

--Chris

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: To Aaron
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:49:46 +0000

Todd wrote:

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:96ecs3$ikb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Ok,
> >
> > > So check out www.tkpowers.com now... you will see that I have finally
> > > *PROVEN* you wrong...
> >
> > > I am not Todd Needleham from MS or whoever...
> >
> > > So, now that the facts are put out in front of you, will you be a man
> and
> > > admit you were wrong?
> >
> > > The fate of Linux advocates rests in your hands...
> >
> > What the fuck does what he typed have to do with anyone or anything else?
>
> Actually, I was just joking there...

If you were joking, you're a shit comedian!
--
http://www.guild.bham.ac.uk/chess-club

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Threat: non-existant
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:44:43 GMT

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:CNli6.18946$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:Mrbi6.100$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:XPai6.31992$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Nic Bellamy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > CD
> > shelf to

> > > Which is really insignificant. There are probably near that many
> > > Amigas out there (in fact, probably more because of the Toaster),
> > > and about as many Atari 6400's.

> > > ... to a rather insignificant amount which really isn't large enough
> > > to talk about.

> > > Because it's a fad. People have been buying Razor scooters like gold,
> > > but it will die off as well.
> >
> > It's been around for what, 9 some old years now?
>
> And it has yet to make any type of in-roads in anything. It has a
> niche market in just about every market it's in. The only market
> it's made any in-roads in is the basic Unix server market (DNS servers,
> NNTP servers and other mundane tasks) and that's simply because
> it's a cheaper Unix. (yes, I know it's not Unix...)
>
> NT 4.0 is now 6 years old and has an anual sales figure of something
> like 20 million (IIRC, I may be off a little).
>
> Where's Linux?
>
> > Growing in popularity and utilization with each one passing...
>
> ... very tiny growth and still niche popularity.

All of those Web servers out there make quite a niche...

> > Growing enough to attract a billion dollar investment from IBM...
>
> ... which doesn't really say much.

OoooohKay then...

> > Growing enough to finally cause MS some genuine, and if I may add, quite
> > warranted concern (FUD overdrive)...
>
> ... don't underestimate MS. They're paying token attention to Linux,
> but still, even at it's highest estimates, Linux makes up 5% to
> MS's 95%. And MS is continually innovating. Have you see any documentation
> on .NET? Seen the XP screen shots? Read about any of the new features
> on XP? Way beyond whatever Linux is doing. Linux is kindergarten
> paper mache compared to XP.

I've seen it and couldn't care less about how it LOOKS. I'm concerned about
how it will WORK. If looks were my only concern, i'd have bought some tacky
iMac by now. (Tangerine)

My feelings are much the same for .NET. If doesn't become yet another JAVA,
i'll be surprised.

> > Some fad...
>
> Eh, 9 years is a long fad, but it hasn't really grown much in those
> 9 years. And most of the growth has been in just the last couple
> months. It's a fad. Scooters have been around for many years now
> and only recently they have become super popular. But, like Linux,
> they're new-found popularity will fad and it will be put back
> on the back shelves just like every other fad to come up.

I have a feeling you'll be holding to that 9 years from now....
See you then.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Oh dear...another 1 (nearly) bites the dust...
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:46:48 GMT

"mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Tom Wilson wrote:
> >
> > "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Absolutely! Wouldn't you also consider that a service?
> > >
> > > In that not, has anyone seen the new PostgreSQL book? Its pretty good.
> >
> > No. Please expand. What's it like?
>
> It is very good. I bought a few copies for my co-workers. It has a good
SQL
> outline as relevant to postres, and has a very good reference to all the
bits
> and pieces of Postgres. It is easier to look at the index than to try and
find
> the info on-line. Great desk reference.
>
> The whole thing is available on-line, but it is worth the bucks to have
the
> print.

That's something I agree with wholeheartedly. Paper beats E-Media any day of
the week.

I'll have to pick it up when free time floats my way again!

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:48:24 GMT

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:96botp$834$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <E4bi6.93$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Tom Wilson"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Stuart Krivis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> vi is a far superior config tool. :-)
> >
> > If you're gonna be that way about it... Emacs rules! <g>
>
> Naw. You can't beat cat.
>
> Or ed
>
> -ed

Hmmm, I guess if an editor named "tom" were around, i'd use it  <g>

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 23:54:02 GMT

Mike Byrns wrote:

> Such weighty content Aaron ;-)  UNIX doesn't really "develop".  It's an old
> picture from the 60s that was done developing long ago.  Now it's in
> maintenance mode -- striving to keep up as new hardware and technologies
> surface.  I've seen very little development in the core BSD tools since
> Stallman's days.  Oh, I know, it's because they are PERFECT now ;-)  I get
> it -- NOT!

I see we have another troll to pick up where Chad leaves off.

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win2K - Minuses outweigh plusses
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 00:02:07 GMT

"Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 13 Feb 2001 21:27:10 -0600, "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've seen it regularly. Dos's Fdisk complaining that the extended
partition
> cannot be deleted because it contains drive letters. I think it's
something
> to do with the way fdisk interacts with LILO, but that's a guess based on
> circumstantial evidence (the problem only surfaces after a LILO
> installation in the mbr).

I've had the same difficulties using GRUB, too. Fdisk is rather useless as a
partitioning tool outside of the DOS/Windows world. cfdisk is far superior.

> > and can find nothing documenting such a condition occuring. Hmm...
gee...

> You won't. Microsoft won't acknowledge the existance of any other OS. "Let
> there be no other gods before me" or something like that..
>
> <...>
>
> > So, he goes on to complain because he lost his CD key. This is HOW MS's
> > fault? Then he says, shoulda have it printed in the manual. What good
would
> > that do if he loses the jewel case which you'd assume the cd is IN then
what
> > are the chances a loosely unattached manual would survive this mess?
And,
> > didn't he write down the key, I know I always do... just in case.
>
> He sounds like any typical academic I know.
>
> > And, gee, here we have the OS that has MORE drivers for it than ANY
other OS
> > in history and it manages to not have his video or scsi or sound cards
> > uhhuh, what's the chances eh? So, the good ol'16 color story. Even a
every
> > day boring SVGA card will detected as SVGA and you'll have a nice 256
color
> > start.
>
> I put together a Win98 pc with a Nvidia TNT2 card. Came up in 8-bit
640x480
> mode. Took a fair bit of persuading to run at anything else. Still hangs
> occasionally. I'd blame the TNT2 or the AGP bus, except that it works
> perfectly under Linux. Come to think of it, AGP is turned off in Linux so
> maybe there's the problem.
>
> <...>
>
> > OH, time for the blue screen report. How did we know that was coming. No
bs
> > about NT is complete with some blue screen action. And he went with
> > something at least remotely believable, IRQ NOT LESS THAN OR EQUAL TO.
(but
> > he left off THAN, i'll let us conclude it was a typo).
>
> He did say the sentence was incomplete - missing object.

Funny how they lump blue screens in with Bigfoot sightings and the like...

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 00:18:22 GMT

David Brown wrote:

> Giuliano Colla wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
[...]
> >Tomorrow I'm going to attend a seminar on Kylix, the Linux version of
> >Delphi. The participation has been so high that they've been obliged to
> >split it in two days. Three more seminars in other italian towns.
> >For Windows CE one seminar in Italy was enough. Good attendance, but
> >many empty places (good to put documentation in the nearby seat).
>
> Can you let us know how Kylix is doing?  I use Delphi a lot on NT, so the
> thought of running it on Linux is definitely interesting.

I figure you're not asking general information such as you may find at
http://www.borland.com/kylix/
My impressions from the seminar have been quite good, and the audience
in general seemed favorably impressed.
Basically you have the same IDE, the same editor, much the same objects,
etc. At the beginning the guy asked the audience how many were already
Delphi users, and seeing almost all hands up said "Well, in that case
the seminar may end just here. If you're using Delphi, Kylix is the
same." What was shown after proved him almost right.
If you have some specific question, I'll be glad to answer (if I can, of
course). Otherwise, I hope in a few weeks to start using it, and then
I'll be able to give first hand impressions.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: linux is dieing
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 00:25:12 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>Bloody Viking wrote:
>>
>> Henry_Barta ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>>
>> :     I don't have a UPS on this. If the battery in the laptop were
>> :     any good, I wouldn't need one ;) Neither would I call ComEd
>> :     reliable, but they've been good for weeks now.
>>
>> Yeah, but wait for summer. Anyways, it could be worse. You could be in
>> California with its Third World style problems from the lame laws.
>>

>Price controls ALWAYS lead to shortages.
>
>Ask anybody looking for an apartment in New York.

I believe that in certain dictatorships, the reason
price control work is a organization known as a
firing squad.

But even this leads to other forms of economic failure.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 00:26:54 GMT

In article <K5wi6.20982$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chad Myers wrote:

>"Paul Colquhoun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Wed, 14 Feb 2001 06:03:37 GMT, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>> |
>> |"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>message
>> |news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> |Yeah, well it was all off the hip. We were all discussing relatively,
>> |and then somebody had to start counting the grass leaves.
>> |
>> |Anyhow, regardless, it's less than one percent and therefore
>> |insignificant (niche).

>> |Not as relative to the market as a whole. DOS _WAS_ the market,
>> |in essence.
>> |
>> |It would be more like CP/M in the DOS days, in terms of numbers,
>> |at least.
>>

>> You do know that CP/M was around *before* DOS, don't you?
>
>Of course, but that's irrelevant. Think about when DOS was around
>and how popular it was. Think about how unpopular CP/M was around
>that time. That's what I'm talking about.
>
>-Chad

Notice how the Wintroll totally discounts the IBM effect
on the popularity of DOS.

It was the IBM effect of introducing the worlds first PC
which made DOS popular.

It didn't have a fucking thing to do with DOS.

If it is possible for you to completely comprehend one
thing in your life Chad, let this be the one.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: MS executives at LinuxWorld Expo
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 00:40:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
IBM mongule Rex Ballard wrote:
>Charlie Ebert wrote:
>>
>> In article <9602e9$86m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard ) wrote:

>> Considering the number of superclusters using Linux today
>> I think we could easily say it hit the mainstream.
>
>Ironically, even though the average computer user spends over half the
>time he spends on a PC interacting with UNIX systems (via the Web
>browser) most computer users don't know what server they are using.
>Many users actually think that it's their PC doing all the work.

True.

>This is one of the reasons that a good strong desktop initiative is so
>important.

True.  I'm not saying lay over and die here.
I'm just saying that if you can not appreciate the *FACT*
that the worlds largest super clusters of computers are
based on Linux as a mainstream action of the course of business,
then truely you are crediting GNU/Linux for nothing!

If one examines the serious complexity involved in actually
making a super computer cluster work effeciently, to discount
Linux for day to day business use is so completely insane
it's unbelievable.

It's stability is renouned!

To discount the usability of Gnome riding on Linux as a basic
desktop is completely assinine.  That's a comment comming from
*TODAY* in the here and now.

>Until Linux is running on the desktop, people will not have all of the
>capabilities
>available.

I find this comment partially without reason.  Today's Gnome easily
replaces the worlds mainstay of NT based workstations.

Your comment is directed toward some futuristic development of
Gnome leading to mass infiltration of PDA's using 2.0 technology
which is even more appealing than what we have now.

My question is, why preclude Gnome is NOT ready for the desktop
when it obviously *CAN* tackle the job of replacing NT?

Why make such a statement now?  NT *IS* the current market.
Windows 2000 has been a dismal marketing failure for Microsoft.

Everywhere I go I see caution/watch out for this crap signs
when discussion of Windows 2000 upgrades occure.

And now that they've mentioned the forthcomming of yet
another OS to save the day, I am assured that Microsoft
is on the negative cashflow cycle of it's business life.

>> I dont' get this.  Windows isn't an original thing!
>> Windows is a copy of a MAC from the 80's!
>> People who make comments like this must not have been alive
>> very long...
>
>It's even worse than that.  Windows 3.0 was a variant of the HP widgets
>which were the source for much of Motif.  Simply put,, Windows was
>actually
>based on UNIX (X11) code base.
>
>Most of the "innovations" in the Windows 95/NT4 desktop were based on
>the capabilities of Fvwm, Motif, and CDE.
>
>ActiveDesktop was actually an attempt to mimic many of the features of
>the
>FVWM, KDE, and GNOME desktops.
>
>Windows ME has many of the features of AfterStep.
>
>Of course, what makes this humerous is that Microsoft Winvocates will
>slam and dis
>the Linux interface, until Windows exhibits the same behaviors.

Without being able to provide further comment on the above, I will
agree with you that I've seen Wintrolls stop the bashing of certain
Linux desktop features when it became available under Windows.

Case in point is replacable skins.  Yet they still don't have
the ability to manage multiple desktops....

>I've even noticed that Microsoft has "been inspired" by some other UNIX
>features.
>Windows 2000 uses the equivalent of "sticky bits" to make MS-Office and
>other Microsoft applications to load more quickly.  Of course, since
>third party products don't have
>the documentation for this feature, they seem to run much slower (Notes,
>Netscape,
>WordPerfect...).

Yes this is another good example.

>Judge Jackson shouldn't have lifted the Behavioral remedies.  Under
>those remedies,
>Microsoft executives would be facing criminal charges right now.

It is MY FIRM belief that Microsoft should have been planned
for a 3 way split of the company.

#1 would be the OS division.
#2 would be the development tools and databases division.
#3 would be the applications division.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: NTFS Limitations (Was: RE: Red hat becoming illegal?)
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 00:46:02 GMT

In article <hewi6.21010$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chad Myers wrote:

>"spam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 03:40:34 -0600, "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:
>>
><SNIP: Erik talking about how Java has failed, and spam questioning the
>reasoning>
>

>> >Also, Java suffered from the fact that Sun only supported the Java language.
>> >Yes, there are other languages that target the JVM today, but they are not
>> >supported by Sun and discouraged.

>> >MS has already contracted with Corel to port .NET to Linux.
>> >
>> Started the work have they? Any links?
>
>There were several news stories on this including a press release
>from MS and Corel. A casual search should turn it up.
>
>You'll also remember that Corel has decided to back off from the
>Linux business for awhile and has started working with Microsoft
>to build WordPerfect.NET and several other .NET applications.
>The report was that 5 or 6 Corel developers were working on the
>.NET CLR for Linux.

***CORRECTION****

Microsoft bailed out Corel and told them they would do it under
the condition that they dump Linux in favor of .NET.

The are currently not working on any Linux project but rather
concentrating on continuing to develop the Windows end of the
business.  All Linux distro's have ceased and the stores will
be dumping the boxes.

Microsoft killed what ever chance Corel had of making a profit.

>> >Java's problem was Sun.  They killed it with their management.
>>
>> It's dead now?
>
>It's floundering, lost in a sea of misdirection, at least.
>Sun, nor IBM, nor anyone else really know where to take it.
>First they try to make it an embedded language, then they try
>to make it an enterprise transaction application server language
>(EJB), now they don't seem to be pushing anything. I don't see
>Java growing much beyond what it is right now. I've seen several
>companies rushing to hire EJB developers, but I've yet to see
>a site running JSP/EJB that has the slightest hint of decent
>performance. Usually you just get a bunch of timeouts or errors.
>Even Sun's own JavaStore which they funnel all their downloads
>through (and charge you USD$0.00 for the free stuff, but you
>still have to enter all your information) is broken 90% of

This is truely amazing.  One month I'm explaining to Chad Myers
what an HP-9000 is and all of a sudden he's a fucking SUN expert.

Broken 90% of the time?  That's probably why I see this complaint
on the UNIX newsgroups all of the time!  Big long articles titled

"SUN IS BROKEN 90% OF THE TIME!!! - OH SHIT HELP ME GOD"

>the time. I have a feeling when all these companies spend all
>this money on EJB and then realize in the end it's horribly slow
>and really isn't as scalable as Sun and others have claimed, they'll
>be a backlash. Conveniently, .NET will be big around that time.
>
>-Chad

You pompus jackass.
The day you develop a brain is the day rocks will begin to speak.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:55:16 GMT

Robert Surenko writes:
> It also takes faith to believe the Universe is as appears to the 5
> senses.

I don't.

> Because of this it also takes great faith to not believe ( or believe
> not) in God.

Nonsense.

> Science and logic are a religion.

More nonsense.