From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Could only...
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:09:36 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >Hint: it's not the gun that's the problem...it's the sick brain in
> >control of it.
>
> And vice versa --- it's not the sick brain that is the problem, it's
> that it is in control of a gun. Cut's both ways.

Sick minds will ALWAYS get guns.

Do you think muggers, etc. just do it on impulse?

Most of these people are repeat offenders.  It's pre-meditated.

When you see that EVERY country on the face of the earth is overflowing
with contraband items, making a new class of contraband items does
NOTHING other than remove them from the hands of LAW ABIDING citizens.

Criminals, as usual, will continue to purchase, posess, and use
contraband items.

Why do you think we call them criminals?

> On new year's eve, I was taking the Met into the city (think "local public
> transport", whatever you call it where you live). I ended up right next
> to a woman who was drunk beyond the point where she could even feign the
> following of normal social behaviour (in other words: She was screaming
> obscenities during the whole trip), as well as next to three young girls,
> two of who were stoned to the point of being unaware of their surroundings.
>
> Did I feel uncomfortable --- yes, for sure. It's no fun standing in the Met,
> having booze spilled over your shoes and wondering which of those people
> is about to collapse on me the next time the train brakes.
> Did I feel unsafe --- no way. These people might have been way past the
> point where their brains temporarily turned to mush, but that's OK. They
> will wake up the next day, with one hell of a hangover, and that's that.
>
> Later in the night, a couple of blokes were having a rather serious fist
> fight right in front of me (well, it *is* Oz, and it *was* NYE, and I *was*
> in city central...). At that moment, it was quite clear they hated each
> other's guts and were trying to inflict as much pain as possible. Was I
> annoyed? Yes, sure --- I went there to listen to the music. Was I at any
> point feeling unsafe? Nope, no risk for anyone uninvolved. And apparently,
> everyone else around me thought the same thing, as nobody dived for cover.

In the United States, leftists were predicting "wild west" gun
fights in every state where the legislatures DEMANDED that local
gun boards issue Concealed Carry permits to any and all *law*
*abiding* and mentally competant citizens who apply for one.

In the last 50 years, only ONE legal civilian CCW permit holder has
committed a murder in the US....even during the 1950's and 60's when
CC permits were handed out like candy.

Conversely, we have numerous police convicted of murder every year.

Given these statistics, I'll trust my law-abiding neighbors with
a concealed firearms LONG BEFORE I'll trust the police.

> >Notice how when Australia banned guns, the murder rate TRIPLED.
>
> No, I didn't. I live here, you don't. I looked at the statistics from
> the Australian Bureau of Statistics, you didn't.

Whoops...my mistake..it was England where it tripled....

> >Why?  Because criminals realized that their intended victims, if
> >law abiding citizens, would be unable to use enough force to
> >credibly deter them.
>
> *Laugh* You have never been to Oz, now have you?

Ok, you got me there :-)

> Bernie
> --
> I have been underestimated for decades. I have done very well that way
> Helmut Kohl
> German Chancellor since 1982

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux *has* the EDGE!
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:03:43 +0000

On Mon, 01 Jan 2001 21:41:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter) wrote:
> >   Hi All, and Seasons greetings :)
> >
> >   I've finally finished upgrading my Linux box to Mandrake7.2!
> >

> >   Now the big test .......
> >
> >   Turn of the power switch, machine dies, the disk is now 'dirty'.
> >   Turn on power switch,..... dam this thing boots up fast now, and the
> Reisfer
> >   FS notes the journal has to be fixed, it takes about 15 seconds to
> do this,
> >   and the pc is up!
> >

> Second test.
>       Install RH7 on my old dos machine.
> Looks cool but this 14 inch monitor sucks so put on a bigger monitor but
> now I need a new video card for better resolution. Shutdown, remove ATI
> card and put in SiS card from buddy. Power up. RH7 detects new card,
> identifies and goes into video setup routine. A few questions about
> video memory and the monitor I am using and Gnome comes up flawlessly.

I changed my network card. Same flawless detection and migration of the
network settings to the new card - unlike the 20 minutes of hassle with
Windoze.

> Gotta love it.

Seconded.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Profitability of Linux being a challenge
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:11:30 -0500

* wrote:

> > > and this is counter to my argument because..
> >
> > One person has used monopoly control of legacy systems (MS-DOS, then
> > Windows 3.1 then Windows 9x then NT) to force nearly everybody to use
> > Microsoft's operating system, whether they want to or not.
> >
> > Put simply Bill Gates has the power to say:
>
> [paranoid waxing snipped]
>
> umm. my argument was that any one individual cannot know what's best for
> everyone else.

You must be unaware of the interview in which Gates spelled out
EXACTLY what Rex wrote about.

> because you, or billy, think you know what's right for me doesn't mean you
> actually do.
>
> and that is counter to my argument because..

You really are naive.  Gates spelled out those goals PRECISELY
in an interview in the early 1990's.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:13:26 -0500

Alan wrote:

> On Tue, 02 Jan 2001 03:13:49 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Alan wrote:

> >> Didn't a republican county allow faxed in ballots (against Florida
> >> state law) to be used in determining total votes. This was a "bending"
> >> of the law.
> >>
> >> Face it Chad. Bush won fair and square based on the law. However, in
> >> that brief period after November 4, a lot of ugly politics was played
> >> on both sides. For the first time that I know of, the back room deals,
> >> arm twisting etc., that has been going on for decades was out for the
> >> public to see (on both sides).  For you to say that democrats did this
> >> or that IS ad homenim. At least say that "elements of the democratic
> >> party did this or that."  You're implying there is one grand
> >> conspiracy dude, and for that you should go to alt. conspiracy.jfk.
> >
> >Why do YOU think that almost all Democrat counties use punch-card ballots
> >to the exclusion of other more reliable technology?
>
> There are over 15,000 counties in this country. Have you done some
> research to back that statement up?

The Democrats THEMSELVES were complaining that 'poor, urban counties'
have punch-card ballots...conveniently ignoring the fact that these
are the VERY SAME COUNTIES where they run things.

Isn't it interesting.... Democrats in control ==> Poverty.

> >It wouldn't be so that they can play the "recount" game, would it?
> >
> <snip>
> Objection!  Introducing conjecture in place of facts.<g>
>
> This link is only valid for a few days, the original article was much
> longer and really a good rip on the whole process.
>
> http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/elect2000/pres/money/20001111/t000108149.html

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:16:15 -0500

JSPL wrote:

> "R.E.Ballard ( Rex Ballard )" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:92vpkt$ej2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

> > This is great!  They normally don't publish these numbers.
> >
> > I also found that
> > http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2000/November/os.html worked as well.
> >
> > Keep in mind that most Linux browsers are identified as
> > Unknown (20,548,518 identified user IP addresses).
>
> They are?? How nice that you've taken over the complete "unknown" column for
> Linux. I guess it just too bad for the millions of crawlers, email
> harvesters, and WYSIWYG html editors.

What other platforms fall under "unknown" ??

Mac?  Nope
Lose95? Nope
Lose98? Nope
LoseNT? Nope
Lose2k? Nope
LoseME? Nope
LoseCE? Nope

Solaris? Nope
HP?....at most, there's only a few hundred thousand HP workstations out there...
Same for AIX and SGI machines.

> >Add this to the
> > number of Linux users (1,686,370), plus the BSD Unix users (most of
> > 951,599) which gives you 23,186,487.  Multiply that by a factor
> > of four
>
> A factor of FOUR! How nice. How about a multiplier of .0001? I like that
> number much better since we're introducing multipliers with no facts to back
> them up.
>
> (since MSN and AOL publish more IP addresses and don't
> > offer Linux connectivity support (forcing Linux users to lie and
> > tell the ISP that they are running IE or Mozilla, and the users
> > who use Netscape on Wine because the Linux version has memory leaks.
>
> Yea, there most likely a whole lot of Linux users connecting through MSN &
> AOL. mmm...hhmmm.
>
> major snippage, due to being based on the above idiocy.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would Linux be invented if?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:17:13 -0500

kiwiunixman wrote:

> Correct, what would you rather have,  a Mercedes Benz or a Ford Falcon?  I
> would rather have the Mercedes Benz!

Depends on the Mercedes.  Mercedes only exports their luxury lines.

In Europe, most Mercedes that are sold are more along the line of Chevrolets.

> kiwiunixman
>
> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Charlie Ebert wrote:

> can
> do
> like
> > >
> > > I wonder what people would think about this idea.
> > >
> > > If there were no Microsoft and Windows was never invented.
> > >
> > > If we still had Novel and Apple battling it out with Unix's,
> > > WOULD THERE HAVE BEEN LINUX?
> > >
> > > I think the answer to that is YES.
> > >
> > > Linus mastered Linux because he wanted a replacement for Minix.
> > >
> > > Linus had no vision of conquering Microsoft at all.  This was
> > > never his objective.
> > >
> > > Isn't it funny how all those companies who HAD OBJECTIVES to
> > > conquer Windows failed and the one who was just playing one
> > > year with a kernel with NO AMBITIONS WHAT-SO-EVER will be
> > > the one to topple Microsoft.
> >
> > Thus, QUALITY was the primary goal, instead of marketing.
> >
> > High quality sells itself.
> >

> > > This is the work of god.
> >
> > No...its the work of quality.
> >

> > > Charlie
> >

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >

> > H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >     you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> > I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> > J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
> >
> > A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
> >
> > B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >    direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> > C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> > D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (C) above.
> >
> > E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >    her behavior improves.
> >
> > F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
> >
> > G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Hatred?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:18:48 -0500

craig nellist wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Routine batch-processing jobs (like data collection and report generation)
> > is something that I can routinely accomplish with 15-120 minutes
> > of script programming, and then a mere couple of SECONDS to type
> > the command thereafter.
> >
> > Meanwhile, in LoseDOS land, the same task will continue to take
> > several HOURS of my time EVERY WEEK.
>
> Here's me thinking you've kept your "hands clean of Neutered Technology."

So far, I've managed to steer clear of Neutered Technology machines.

Are you saying that Excel works differently on Neutered Technology as
opposed to Lose95 and Lose98?

> Oh well.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows 2000
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 18:25:20 -0500

craig nellist wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Really?  Tell that to Office97 users who recieve Office2000 documents.
> >
> > You know....just like when Office 6.0 users recieved Office97 documents
> >

> > And when Word5.0 users recieved Word6.0 documents.
>
> There are file format converters available so that early versions of Office
> programs can open files from later versions. And, funnily enough, they're
> available free of charge from Microsoft's web site.

Note that Microsoft did not offer these until AFTER forcing
all competing WYSIWYG editors out of the market.

If a document does not contain any new (6.0 only) constructs, please
give a rational, user-oriented reason why Word 5.0 can't read a Word 6.0
document.

The only reasons could be

1) Microsoft puts damn little thinking into designing extensible
        formats so that new formatting constructs can be added
        without breaking the previous file format

Or

2) Microsoft DELIBERATELY comes up with completely new, incompatible
        formats between editions for the SOLE PURPOSE of making
        older versions unable to read the default format of new
        versions.

3) both (1) and (2).

Given the fact that Microsoft has been in the habit of providing
"free upgrades" for corporate officer's machines (ONLY!), making
All documents coming from "the bosses" unreadable until the entire
company also upgrades....

        .....which reason do *YOU* think it is?

> > There's a reason I call it LOSEdows.
>
> Apart from making yourself look like an idiot?

Strike 1.

Try again.

> I've seen you reply to 100+
> line posts, where your only contribution (if it can be called that) was to
> write LOSE (or some variant) where the original poster had written
> Win[32|NT|dows]. Is there some point to you doing this?

Annoys the fuck out of you, doesn't it.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Form@C)
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:27:11 GMT

T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Said Form@C in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 01 Jan 2001 09:59:45 GMT;
>   [...]
>>All very true. The problem is that the Windows approach has become a
>>standard (of sorts) by sheer weight of numbers, in spite of being a
>>closed- source system.
>
>The problem with Windows is that Microsoft illegally monopolizes PC OSes
>with predatory, anti-competitive business practices.  That, and the fact
>that the registry is a stupid idea and a worse implementation, and the
>Win32 API is about as neat as a vomiting ten-year-old.
>
>>>OK, let's try this thought experiment.  Microsoft releases the source
>>>code to all their products, including Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, etc.
>>>They also release all the internal documents regarding Windows NT and
>>>98's architecture and design.  The two questions I have then are as
>>>follows:
>>>
>>>1.)  Would Windows NT and 98 be established as an open standard?
>>
>>Why would they need to "be established" as an open standard? They
>>already have wide distribution, a lot of developers and a huge user
>>base. It would simply be a name change from "closed" to "open"
>>standard.
>
>You misunderstand the nature of standards.  You also confuse a

I think I understand what a "standard" is (i.e. set by a controlling body),
but an "open standard" is a more difficult concept as, by literal
translation, it cannot exist in any useful form! If the "thought
experiment" statement above is read closely, then M$ would not be releasing
any rights to Win (inferred) but would be making the source & documentation
available. In this case it couldn't ever become a real open standard as
they would remain as the controlling body. However, in this case, what was
the reason for asking question 1? I have chosen to treat the game more
generally.

>proprietary code base for a monopoly.  This certainly would seem to make
>sense, these days, as that is the primary reason to have a proprietary
>code base, but they are not as inherently linked as dishonest people
>would have you believe.

I'm not being drawn on any statements made by "dishonest people" here!

>>>2.) What would happen to Microsoft in terms of revenue?  Well, one
>><snip
>>
>>Assuming that this scenario were to take place in the present time:
>>
>>M$ has really got two parts. OS design and application design.
>   [...]
>
>Now, this is starting to sound familiar....

Doesn't it just? I thought along similar lines when re-read what I had
written...

--
Mick
Olde Nascom Computers - http://www.mixtel.co.uk