From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You have to check out The Register ASAP
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 19:20:30 +1200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Matthew Gardiner"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> LOL.  If this was deliberate, you've got to admitt, the Poms sure have a
> sense of humour.

Better than SatireWire!

Although this is good:

http://www.satirewire.com/news/0103/media.shtml

Adam

------------------------------

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS patent lawyer on open source
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 19:24:32 +1200

In article <gUzx6.536067$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "mmnnoo"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That is an absolute joke, since anyone who can read the license
> agreement on on commercial software knows that it also comes with no
> warranty.  What does he even mean, "warrantee"?  Who ever collected on a
> software "warrantee"?  If they do warrantee the software, it certainly
> wouldn't be for more than the purchase price of the software itself and
> would not to cover any damage the software did to a user or company, and
> free software is free anyways.  Certainly a corporate attorney
> understands these things better than I do, so what is he talking about?

And the GPL specifies that a company supporting the software CAN provide a
warranty:

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.txt

"You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and
you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee."

Regards,
Adam

------------------------------

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WFW3.11 uptime (and other thoughts on desktop computing)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 19:44:49 +1200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Shane Phelps"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Windows 95 seemed to have been a bit more stable than Windows 3.x, but
> probably not by much.

I agree that vanilla Windows 95 was rather stable (although the memory
leaks that MS patched would have killed it in the end). And it took MS
about five years to realise that Windows 9x couldn't last longer than 49
days :-)

> The stability problems seem to have come in with later versions of
> Windows 95 and the subsequent 9x series.

I really liked Microsoft's IE4 integrated shell. I think that's where the
stability problems arose though. From then on if IE crashed the whole
desktop shell could be taken out.

> NT 4 is quite a bit more robust than the 3.x or 9x line, and W2K is more
> stable again. I'd rank W2K slightly above SCO Open Server 3, and
> certainly below any current unix variant in terms of stablity.

I did not find Win2k to be more stable. Due to driver incompatibilities
and Windows Explorer having a habit of crashing in extremely long copy
operations. I would have been happy to stay with NT4. But Microsoft
abandoned making DirectX compatible with NT4 (Microsoft released a DirectX
5 beta for NT4). And I would have been even more happy to stay with
OpenGL!

Ah old times. In the last couple of months I've only booted into Win2k to
do some legacy Word/Excel 2000 work and install security updates.

Regards,
Adam

------------------------------

From: redc1c4 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Doug, Doug, Doug....(was Re: Communism)
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 07:57:02 GMT

Douglas Berry wrote:
(snipage occurs)
> And you aren't my friend, you are a waste of ammo.

that's why they put bayonets on the fuckers.......... %-)

redc1c4,
Harmony Church School for Excitable Boys
--
"Enlisted men are stupid, but extremely cunning and
 sly, and bear considerable watching."

PMD
EOM

------------------------------

From: Gunner© <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Subject: Re: Communism
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 00:15:12 -0800

Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Of course, a good little Communist like Mathew is all for monopolies...
>> as long as it's a GOVERNMENT monopoly...
>
>Do you have orgasms spewing this bullshit about me?

And there you have the blindness one may have for oneself. Mathew bows
before the State, and denies it. Sigh.

Gunner

 "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
 invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write
 a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort
 the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone,
 solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program
 a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die
 gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

------------------------------

From: "Stephen Fuld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks,comp.arch
Subject: Re: Java, the "Dot-Com" Language?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 08:15:42 GMT

"Mats Olsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9a5cl7$mlu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Agent wrote:
> >> First, Sun Sparc is basically a RISC Architecture and Intel is a CISC
> >> Architecture (eventhough both have barrowed others Ideas..!) CISC puts
lots
> >> of functions(like mupltiply,divide) into one CHIP (complex) and frees
up
> >> Compiler & higher level writing. and RISC does the opposite. With that
RISC
> >> can multiply Hardware wise very fast with less heat dissipation. That's
why
> >> you can have Sparc with 50-100 processors easily. But, writing a
compiler is
> >> very complex for RISC.
> >>

> >Hate to burst your bubble, but modern "RISC-based" CPUs are
indistinguishable
> >from modern "CISC-based" CPUs.
>
>     Almost indistinguishable. The "CISC" ones have a CISC->RISC
translation
> stage when code is loaded from memory.

I think that is only true if CISC = x86.  AFAIK, the IBM mainframe S/390, or
Z series, or whatever they are calling it this year (arguably the other
major CISC architecture)  does no CISC to RISC translation.

Actually, I think that some of the "off brand" x86 chips (like the one VIA
just picked up) do not do the conversion.

--
    -  Stephen Fuld

------------------------------

From: "remove the hyphen to reply" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Recommendation for web email
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 00:26:32 -0800

I wanna move away from hotmail, lets just say it's a matter of principal,
but I'd like to find a site that has a spam filter and a reasonably good
service level (i.e. not down alot). I would also be nice to have a way to
import and export the address book. Can anyone make a recomendation? (I
would be nice if the site ran Linux; for moral support reasons).

TIA

David

http://www.taxax.org

------------------------------

From: Gunner© <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 00:23:20 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi) wrote:

>>Singapore was quite the benign dictatorship.  The economic freedom
>>(to pack up and leave if things got bad) meant that those in charge
>>were kept in line by the simple specter of mass emmigration of
>>the most talented people to...somewhere beyond their control.
>
>My point is that they have some economic freedom. I agree with you on
>this point btw -- lack of economic freedom would result in mass-migration. See
>China as a shining example of this ... yeah, I know China is poor, but
>there are other poor countries where that the ethnic Chinese aren't
>mass-migrating away from ...

Look a bit closer to home guys... South of the Border in fact.  Which
is the reason "Would you Like fries with that?" is generally deliverd
with a spanish accent in the western states.

From: Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 18:35:50 +1000

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> Mathew wrote:

>killing a lot
>is a
>the

> > > And any and all which do are operating illegally.
> > >

> > > Of course, a good little Communist like Mathew is all for monopolies...
> > > as long as it's a GOVERNMENT monopoly...
> >
> > Do you have orgasms spewing this bullshit about me?
>

> Truth hurts, eh?

No.Your truth is not mine.But what is the truth then,since  you only say
little snide things like " a little dictatro like you," "A marxist like you".

> > Is there any reason that you insinuate things about me,that I have never
> > even given my opinion of?
>

> Please cite how your philosophical view of government policy
> differs from that of Communist philosophy.

No! You cite where I have cited my views on govt policy in full,since you
are saying they are communinistic.

I have not even written a paragraph on what my views are.
I did say that I beleived Microsoft  was in the wrong in their anti-trust
suite.You agreed.

> Accuracy counts, so be precise.
>

> > This is the true menatlity of an immature person,either emotinally or
> > intellectually.It quite sounds like what a fascist says.
> >

> No... actually, I just decided to start calling you people
> for what you are.

And if you are wrong what do you do?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux on Compaq...coming this Summer.
Date: 01 Apr 2001 08:39:03 GMT

On Sun, 01 Apr 2001 00:08:04 GMT,
 Joseph Ogiba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> This is the biggest bullshit story I ever heard. There is no demand from the
> public for a PC with Linux instead of Windows.
How would you know ?
I know quite a few folks who would love a OS like Linux.

>You Linux diehards have a bug
> up your ass the size of Texas over the word MICROSOFT.
Nonsense,who gives a dam about Microsoft ?
I don't.

> If there was a demand
> Larry Ellison would start a company selling PC's with your "FREE" OS.
He can give Linux away if he likes, providing he conforms to the copyright.

>Your
> just pissed because YOU paid $320.00 for one share of VA Linux and watched
> it drop to $3.00 today.
Dead wrong. I own NO VA Linux shares, and paid $6.50 for my forst Linux CD
in 1997.

> Linux is DEAD as a consumer OS
Soothsayers of Doom, (tm) have been forecasting the demise of UNIX for 30 years
sadly, due to circumstances beyond their control it hasnt happened. Bad luck.

> and Windows XP is the
> nail in the coffin.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

--
Kind Regards
Terry

alt.destroy.microsoft,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
From: Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 18:41:54 +1000

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> Mathew wrote:
> >=20
> > On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >=20

> > > Which one of the voices in your head told you that?
> >=20
> > Logic.They control it very much less now than they did in the 60's and =
70's.
> > The Feds want to make sure they get all of their tax money.
> >=20
>=20
> Considering that it's an ALL CASH business, perfect for money
> laundering....how would taxation deter the mob from desiring
> and maintaining control in Las Vegas?

Tight regulation of the businesses,undercover agents.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATTN: Outlook Express Users and Virus's
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 00:45:31 -0800

Matthew Gardiner wrote:

> Geeze you yanks have a real problem with a sense of humour.
>
> Matthew Gardiner
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:16:07 +1200, Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >Use a valid email address to make yourselfa accountable for you posting.
> > >

> > If you have more than 5 brains cells at your disposal, you'd be able to figure
> > out how to remove the anti-spam crap and e-mail me.
> >
> > If you'd be kind enough to remove all the assholes off the internet, I've be
> > happy to post without an alias.  In the meantime, I use an alias to prevent such
> > assholes from doing stuff like looking my address up in the phone book and
> > ordering, fraudulantly, crap that I have to go out of my way to return.
> >
> > Get over it and quit being such a jerk.

Actually, I'm quite fond of British humour.  I liked Allo' Allo' and
"Are you being served?"  What is the latest over there currently
running?

alt.destroy.microsoft,misc.survivalism,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,soc.singles
From: Mathew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 18:46:05 +1000

On Sat, 31 Mar 2001, Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> Brian Turner wrote:
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Yes, they are beginning to see the light.
> > >
> > > However, the brutal ways of their Communist Revolution and
> > > subsequent Cultural Revolution are still with them.
> >
> > Another "way still with them" is that Mao is still a hero to most Chinese.
> > A 'National Review' reporter was recently shocked and apalled by this, he
> > couldn't explain this bizarre situation.  It couldn't possibly be that he
> > had his facts wrong...it had to be that they are brainwashed idiots or
> > something.
>
> Actually, brainwashing is much easier to accomplish than you
> might think.

The military is quite good at it.

From: "green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles
Subject: Re: What is user friendly?
Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2001 18:54:46 +1000

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 20 Mar 2001 16:43:06 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Quantum Leaper wrote:
> >>
> >> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> [snip for brevity]

> >> Amazing I just tried your list test,  not *sept* but with 'dir *in*' in
the
> >> Window directory, and had a long list of files.  Which if I read your
> >> complant correctly,  Windows should NOT have done correctly.   Sorry
can't
> >> test it with Dos6.22,  since I don't have access to it.
> >
> >So, what's you're saying, is that it only took them 18 years to fix it.
> >
> >Fascinating.
>
> If you like that test, you'll *love* this one:
>
> NT> cd C:\Program Files\Plus!\Microsoft Internet
>
> That's right, no quotes or escapes.  Just bare spaces!

until you try to load say a game like

c:\games\half life\half life

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>c:\games\half life\half life
'c:\games\half' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>cd games\half life

C:\Games\Half Life>

doesn't quite work.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hey, JS PL was Re: Microsoft abandoning USB?
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2001 00:51:14 -0800

JS PL wrote:

> "Roger" <roger@.> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Off topic for this thread, but Max has claimed at least two
> > conversations with you re:  a problem with IE which was solved by
> > replacement of a video card.  Since he originally claimed it was me,
> > in spite of being corrected before (and since it is, after al, Max)
> > I'm inclined to take his recent version of the fantasy with a huge
> > grain of salt.
> >
> > Do you recall the threads he's babbling about?
>
> I remember having a problem with a bad video driver causing screen freezes a
> couple years ago, right about the time Win98SE came out. It was a problem
> with a Viper V550 and WinSE which reared its ugly head most often while IE
> was open. Changing the card out fixed the problem.

Yes, same here. Only I had an older video card and using 3.1 then.
Upgraded the video driver and problems disappeared.