Kulkis")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:42:22 -0400

"Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" wrote:

> > You overlook one important point there Matthew... after WWII was over
> > with most of the industrialized world was in shambles.  The U.S. was the
> > only remaining industrial force left.  Every man and woman in the 1950's
> > could easily get a job without a hassle. Not like today.  If there were
> > no WWII we would still be down in the dumps.
>
> MUST I also re-inforce the fact that Germany could not continue the war for
> any longer. Even the German Economic Minister warned Hitler of the dire
> consequences if the war carried on too far.  Hitler, a fit of nationalism,
> continued on.  It was only  matter of time.

Actually, based on his comments at the time, Hitler was PUNISHING
Germany for failing to fulfill his goals.

He said something to the effect that if the German people could not
defeat the enemies which he had conjured up, then they ALL(*) deserved
to perish.

(*) meaning the German populace

> Matthew Gardiner
>
> --
> I am the blue screen of death
> nobody hears your scream's
>
> Sepo is a cockney term for yank,
> however, in New Zealand and Australia
> a yank is a wank, well, same thing ;)
>
> For AOL and earthlink lusers asking stupid questions:
> Seek and ye shall find

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Todd  Merritt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So what software is the NYSE running ?
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:52:07 -0700

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Chad Myers wrote:

> "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9g66ee$5p7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > Exactly the reason that Microsoft would not attempt a fool hardy project
> > > like converting NASDAQ to losedos. They still have not proven that Hotmail
> > > is running 100% on losedos.  Speaking of Hotmail, I have abandoned my
> > > Hotmail account because it was unavailable too many times.  If converting
> > > Hotmail, which is simply web enabled email, was such a difficult task; how
> > > could they possibly convert NASDAQ to losedos? In a 6 1/2 hour trading day
> > > with 2 billion trades (a real busy day), the system has to process 85,470
> > > trades per second.  Of course, trading is done with mainframe, not
> > > losedos.
> > >

> > I gave up because of the same situation, and also, because when I selected
> > multiple messages for deletion (when accessing via Outlook), the server
> > reponds saying "invalid command".
>
> What? Now your just being rediculous. Do you even expect anyone here to
> believe that your inadaquacies as a computer user have anything to do with
> the quality of MS software?
>
> Would you like me to show you screen shots of a successful deletion of
> multiple messages?

Your mail server must be running Exchange, since Microsoft products only
play well with themselves.

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Gardiner (BOFH)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Where is American pride?... (was Re: European arrogance and ignorance...)
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:43:25 +1200

>>Had, back in 1917, the western allies properly funded Tsar Nicholas II
>>and stopped the communist forces, there would have never been a cold
>>war!  It is very easy to look back in hinesight knowing what we know now.
>>

> Likely, yes.  Were you expecting me to disagree with
> you?  We also screwed up post WWII, when we had the
> chance to take the USSR then as well.  We also screwed
> up in Vietnam, limiting our own army with that 38th
> parallel baloney.  If you think the intent of this
> discussion was to illustrate how the U.S. is "superior"
> or "perfect" then you missed the point entirely.
>
> I simply stated that
> I was a patriot.  drsquare and, I think you, stated
> that such an attitude was stupid.  Then, in accordance
> with Godwin's principle, the discussion degraded into
> a discussion about the Nazis, at which point, I
> demonstrated how Europe fell to the Nazis simply
> because they didn't band together, which is what
> people do when they are patriots of their homeland,
> even if they share it with another nation (like how the
> U.S. and Canada are basically considered sibling nations).

One must also understand that the Vietnamese had alot more

to fight for, than just the ideological wheel barrow pushing the US was doing

at the time.  The Vietnamese was fighting for its independence from
France, and the US was simply supporting a tyrannical regeme because of
the "mystical domino effect".  The US was going to me cained regardless,
when you have soldiers with little or motivation, and are going there
because a politician had a rush of blood to their head, one can see why
there as very little will to win.

Matthew Gardiner

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: soc.men,soc.singles,alt.fan.rush.limbaugh
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:46:44 -0400

drsquare wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:41:26 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Cray Drygu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >>Heterosexual contact - -
> >>MALE 23,361 -
> >>FEMALE 43,128 -
> >>TOTAL - 66,490
> >
> >Hey look, you proved him right.
> >
> >By the way, how's the paint on your V key doing?  You've been doing a
> >heck of a lot of pasting recently.  Too bad your pasted stats don't
> >make sense as a reply to over half the posts you replied to with them.
>
> And the fact that there is no evidence that the stats are even close
> to valid.

Other than the coffins...

And the Gay-"rights" activists always running around demanding
MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE AIDS research

If Gays aren't the overwhelming victims of AIDS, then why is
it an issue for gay activists?

Hmmmmmmmm?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:46:21 -0700

Thaddius Maximus wrote:

> Burkhard Wölfel wrote:
> >
> > Edward Rosten wrote:
> > >
> > [snip]
> > >
> > > It's not outrageous. We use too much petrol.
> >
> > I have a brand new name for the US in german which is "Verunreinigende
> > Staaten von America", Polluting States of A. , as opposed to the usual
> > "Vereinigte S. von A.".
> >
> > Dubya's decision not to meet the criteria of the Kyoto convention fits
> > together with that story about the US and the UN Human Rights Commision
> > perfectly, at least that's how some Europeans take it.
>
> The Kyoto Protocol is a glaringly ridiculous proposal that would
> bind the USA to an unreasonable CO2 budget that would only serve
> to cripple the US economy while allowing China, India, Mexico, and
> et al, an unlimited CO2 budget.  It's an insane idea and nothing
> more than a political tool for horse whipping the US!
>
> And besides that, the Kyoto Protocol could never achieve its
> objective.  If the US were restricted to a CO2 budget then US
> companies would just move to Mexico or another country with an
> unlimited CO2 budget and the net world output of CO2 would remain
> the same.  After all, the objective of the Kyoto Protocol is to
> not punish the US but rather to reduce CO2 output, right?
>
> The Kyoto Protocol is a very flawed proposal.  The US is turning
> to gas-fired power generators and nuclear plants for electricity
> and fuel cell technology is being led by two American companies
> called ExxonMobil and GM, respectively.  The US will get there -
> CO2 reduction - but we will not subject ourselves to a political
> whipping tool such as the Kyoto Protocol.
>
> Also, there is growing evidence that reforestation in the US (we
> have more tress than we did in 1900) has created a CO2 sink
> in North America that is removing CO2 equal to the output amount.
>
> http://www.co2science.org/journal/1998/111598c3.htm
>
> > The US define criteria of international discussions or what?
> > Energy taxes in europe are the result of decades of discussion,
> > research and parliamentary work, and they helped to cut down fuel
> > consumtion down to 3 l/km
>
> No, what your governments have done is handicapped your ability to
> move around with ease.  The fact that gas consumption has dropped
> is merely a result of your handicaps.

Wholeheartedly agree!

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dennis Ritchie -- He Created Unix, But Now Uses Microsoft Windows
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:49:09 -0400

Hartmann Schaffer wrote:

> In article <9g657c$7ca11$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nigel Feltham wrote:
> >The other motivation was that he was working on the Bell Labs MULTICS
> >operating system project and found so many problems he thought he could
> >write something better by staring it again (the original name for unix was
> >unics as a parody of multics) - similar to the motivation linus had for
> >writing linux.
>
> you got most of it wrong:  multics was a cooperation between mit (afaik they
> started it), ge's computer division (later taken over by honeywell), and
> bell.  ritchie was with bell's group at mit.  later bell cancelled their
> participation and withdrew their team to their labs in new jersey.  unix
> is based on their multics experience, taking the capabilities of (much)
> smaller hardware into account

Ritchie started his Unix project LONG before Bell pulled out of Multics.

He started Unix because he wanted to play 'Space Travel' and Multics
wasn't up to the task.

> --
>
> hs

> "The cheapest pride is national pride.  I demonstrates the lack of
> characteristics and achievements you can be proud of.  The worst loser
> can have national pride"  - Schopenhauer

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 16:48:23 -0700

Thaddius Maximus wrote:

> GreyCloud wrote:
> >
> > Thaddius Maximus wrote:

> > > What's true?  Are you suggesting that America was saved because of
> > > Russia???
> > >

> > Yes. Back during the Civil War England was up North in Canada waiting in
> > the wings, to the South France was waiting in the wings, all waiting to
> > pick up the pieces and invade.
> > Russia sent over a large fleet and sort of changed their minds about
> > it.  Go do some historical research,.... and you won't find it in you
> > high school history books either.
> > Those books are pretty much trash now.  Current high school history
> > books don't even jive up with the 60's high school history books.
> >
> > > First off, the Nazis didn't kill 20 million Russians.  Stalin killed
> > > 20 million Russians by leaving them out in the freezing elements
> > > without supplies for extended periods of time.
> > >

> > The part is out of context with the American Civil war.
> >

> Civil War ???  We were talking about WWII.  Are you on mushrooms?

No... just expanding the picture is all.  The button mushrooms go good
in a salad.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:50:43 -0400

pip wrote:

> Hartmann Schaffer wrote:
> >
> > In article <9g657c$7ca11$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Nigel Feltham wrote:
> > >The other motivation was that he was working on the Bell Labs MULTICS
> > >operating system project and found so many problems he thought he could
> > >write something better by staring it again (the original name for unix was
> > >unics as a parody of multics) - similar to the motivation linus had for
> > >writing linux.
> >
> > you got most of it wrong:  multics was a cooperation between mit (afaik they
> > started it), ge's computer division (later taken over by honeywell), and
> > bell.  ritchie was with bell's group at mit.  later bell cancelled their
> > participation and withdrew their team to their labs in new jersey.  unix
> > is based on their multics experience, taking the capabilities of (much)
> > smaller hardware into account
>
> ...and legend had it that he coded it in assembler in two weeks. Now
> THAT is the mark of a real man!

Not difficult.

I had never even written an operating system, and coded up a
Unix-like kernal in 4 weeks...WHILE taking a full-time load of
engineering courses.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Here we go again!
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 23:35:29 -0400

>> It must be because the one Unix machine is doing half the work and the
>> 20 M$ servers are doing the other half.

Exactly - at my current employer we have one UNIX server which is
connected to over 1,000 users for most of the day running an internal
company application on this server for every workstation over a modified
telnet type system. This system fails around once every 2 weeks and most of
these failures are caused by a router between buildings. Anyone here trust
NT enough to risk using it in the same way?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 19:52:27 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In comp.os.linux The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > More likely it's a combination of factors.  The Windows system is
> > adequate for desktop use, and is rich in functionality -- when it
> > isn't crashing.  By contrast, Linux is excellent for server use,
> > and is also rich in functionality -- but the two aren't compatible,
> > which cases some problems in a mixed shop.  (However, things like
> > Samba help.)
>
> > How much does desktop reliability factor into theoretical language
> > research and/or compiler design?  Not a heck of a lot, I'd say.
> > Although it doesn't help when the computer BSODs right when you're
> > about to put the finishing touches of a project.  But many Windows
> > tools have autosave -- a bodge to get around a problem -- and
> > therefore this isn't quite as damaging as it could be.
>
> > Then again -- there are those with horror stories of losing half
> > a day's work, and I for one have been lucky.  So who am I to say?
>
> clearly you are not a seasoned unix user, otherwise you will utter
> otherwise. Unix with tools like bash,perl,apache, grep and syslog
> is far more powerful than windows. It encourages personalism,
> in way things are done. You are given as many options as it is
> possible, thus allowing for flexible environment.
>
> Windows on other hand is great for games, limited text composition
> and some image manipulation. Macs are far better at last two,
> so leaves Windows as a game platfrom with most games written for.
>
> So Dennis is an avid gamer, eh?

Of course.

The whole impetus to writing Unix in the first place was because
he couldn't get "Space Travel" to run properly on Multics.

> ;-)
>
> --
>               "They that give up essential liberty to
>           obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither
>                        liberty nor safety"
> 110461387                         -B.Franklin

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.