  Re: The 2.4.0 kernel was released at 4pm pst. ("kiwiunixman")

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip
Subject: Re: Operating Systems? Where would you go next?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 03:10:33 -0500

Andy Newman wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >to append to the end of a line, the first step needed was to delete
> >invisible characters which I never typed in.
>
> Your idea of the file and the system's may have been a little at odds.
> Fixed length records aren't totally natural when it comes to editing
> free form text.

Pretty idiotic way to write an editor, to be used for programming, isn't it.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: open source is getting worst with time.
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 08:11:46 GMT

gridiron, that stupid excuse for a sport where by every tackle they have a 5
minute break!

kiwiunixman

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Almost 60% Surveyed Plan To Install Windows 2000
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 03:14:19 -0500

"The Phantom Poster (bwahahaha)" wrote:

> "Larry R" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I don't know who they surveyed, but I don't believe them.
>
> Why not?

Could it be because Microsoft has a 20-year history of lying
and committing fraud, black mail, extortion, and other criminal
behavior, and also reserves the right to edit *ANY* statement
made by the holder of a Microsoft End User License so that even
the most unfavorable (for Microsoft) statement can be reworded
by Microsoft's lawyers to present Microsoft's products as the
superior product....and if they can't figure out a way to do
it, then to legally PREVENT the EULA holder from publishing
the statement?

Naaaaaaah, couldn't be something so simple as that.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Big government and big business: why not fear both - www.ezboard.com
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 03:14:43 -0500

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Jan 2001 22:50:04 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > The problem with most e-commerce ventures was that the looked at the
> > computer as a panacea, and never really built a solid business plan.
> >
> > Amazon.com is right on the edge...if they can get their S&H costs
> > down, they will make it.
>
> I thought Amazon.com had turned a tidy profit over the last three months.
> One of the few profit making dot-coms, if perhaps the only one.

Maybe.  I know they were in the red for years.

> Peter

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need help with NT
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 03:15:20 -0500

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Jan 2001 02:08:34 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > "John G. Sandell" wrote:
> > >
> > > Problem with friend's NT system at work -
>
> <snip>
>
> > > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Buy RedHat 7.2 and install it.
> >
> > Problem solved.
>
> Didn't know RedHat 7.1 was out, let alone 7.2

Whoops, brain fart.

Buy Red Hat *6.2* and install it.

> Peter

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: EXCLUSIVE: Hacker Steals Redhat Linux Source Code
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 03:16:37 -0500

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Wed, 03 Jan 2001 22:32:50 -0500, "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > "Form@C" wrote:
>
> <mega snip>
>
> > > That if you are going to let the user install & remove software from the
> > > system then the mechanism for doing so should be as foolproof as possible.
> >
> > rpm on Unix/Linux is far more "foolproof" than Windows is.
> >
> > hint fucking hint: DLL version conflicts.
>
> And you've never had experience of the unsatisfied dependencies nightmare?

fortunately, no.

> OTOH, you can actually fix unsatisfied dependencies, depending on how many
> there are versus your motivation.

Yeppers.

> <deletia>
>
> Peter

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 08:27:14 GMT

> kiwiunixman wrote:
> >
> > Colin R. Day wrote:

> > > What the f*? That's standard American English. And yes, we won our
> > > revolution, so we're entitled to change the spelling. Or do you expect
> > > us to retain the King's/Queen's English after rejecting the monarch?
> > >
> > > Colin Day
> > hmm, The rest of the world plays Cricket whilst you play Baseball
> >       The rest of the world plays Rugby whilst you play Gridiron
> >       The rest of the world uses 240v whilst you use 110v
>
> 240V is more efficient (lower distribution losses), but also more
> dangerous.
>
> Also, the US is the ONLY country that has properly designed electrical
> equipment.  Here, the two poles of an electric plug are NOT
interchangeable.

> One is hot, and one is neutral.  Neutral is connected to the chassis
> of the device, except in high-current devices, in which case, the chassis
> is grounded to a 3rd line; Ground-pole on a US plug MUST be properly
> grounded to a water pipe or into the earth.
Bullshit, been outside America lately, our (NZ and AUS) plugs are like so:

           /             \                                      /          \
          /               \                                    /
\

For plugs with the earth thingy.           Plugs without earth

and yes, like America, the earth thingy is connected to a ground pole or
metal waterpipe.

and your phase "the US is the ONLY country that has properly designed
electrical
equipment" is very simplistic and "Claire Lynn" like to say the least.
Ever used a New Zealand made product? probably not!  so don't make sweaping
statements without facts.

> >       The rest of the world uses the metric system whilst you still use
> >      the imperial system (which is surprising, you still have not
> >       dropped even though its origins are from the Monarchy).
>
> We only use it for household goods, things the typical joe 6-pack and
> susy housewife buy.
>
> Industrial goods and automobiles are all designed in metric.
>
> But..you see, this is a free country.  Sellers can use whatever
> measurement system they like.  And if it appeals to purchasers,
> great.  If it doesn't appeal to consumers, so be it.
>
> As it is, "legacy" things (like recipes) are in imperial units,
> so there is a strong impetus to keep them.  Gallons are still used
> for gasoline because there's no reason to change.
>
> On the other hand ever screw on an American automobile is metric,
> to minimize redesign on export models.
1970s NZ moved from imperial measurements, pounds and shillings, to Metric,
dollars and cents. imperial measurement is no-longer taught in schools, and
now we have a generation of metric aware students.

> >       The rest of the world uses degrees Celsius whilst you still use
> >    farenheight.
>
> Can't figure out why we keep it...other than the fact that our
> TV weather presenters tend to be some of the most dimwitted clods
> in our society (good looking, but empty heads)
Neither can I.

> > America = Microsoft, non-standard system.
> > Rest of the world = Linux, open-standard, that everyone else has adopted
>
> Actually, Unix was invented in America....
Country of origin is has nothing to do my comparision.  The fact remains,
America ALWAYS has to be different.  The latest NZ and Aussie vs. United
States at the WTO is a prime example of this arrogance.  The US has chucked
a hissey fit because they can't put tarrifs on lamb inports...tough
luck...this is the free market...get used to it!  You could use the example
of 10 years of US economies expansion, however, this has been mainly driven
by internel demand, now that there is an over supply internally, companies,
now have to export, but they can't because the value of the US dollar is too
high!  hence, the reason for the economic slow down.

kiwiunixman

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 03:34:56 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 03 Jan 2001 23:19:27 -0500
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >kiwiunixman wrote:

> >> hmm, The rest of the world plays Cricket whilst you play Baseball
> >>       The rest of the world plays Rugby whilst you play Gridiron
> >>       The rest of the world uses 240v whilst you use 110v
> >
> >240V is more efficient (lower distribution losses), but also more
> >dangerous.
>
> My understanding is that the danger is mostly because of the frequency
> (60 Hz), rather than the voltage.  Apparently, 60 Hz interferes with
> the human heart's natural pacemaking.

As far as I know, that's a myth.

They were looking at 60Hz as leading to leukemia for those who live
near high-tension lines, but the statistics didn't show any higher
incidence for those living under them than for those living far, far
away in low electric-field environments.

The danger of 240V vs 120V is that 240V can more easily "tunnel"
through the body's electrically insulating layer (i.e. the outer
layers of skin), enough to blast through a conductive pathway
with a low-enough resistance to reach the lethel current of 100mA
( 0.1 A)

Voltage (Volts) = Resistance (Ohms) x Current (Amps)

At 120V, 100ma corresponds to 1200 Ohms (1.2 kOhms)
At 240V, 100ma corresponds to 2400 Ohms (2.4 kOhms)

120V will usually only give you a nasty shock, unless you stick the
leads through dead, dry skin to get to the very electrically conductive
electrolytes that permeate your entire body.

But in some instances where a 120V line current will only give
you a shock, 240V has just enough more Electromotive force
to create a conductive pathway through the skin to reach the
lethal-to-cellular-tissue threshold of 0.1 Amp.

If the pathway between the two contact point happens to go
through your heart (say, holding one lead in one hand, and
the other lead in the other hand), you're at REALLY high risk
for the heart fibrillating, at nearly any frequency....even
if conductive tunnelling through the skin never occurs.
(For this reason, when working with live electrical wires
around the house, always make sure that you either:
        (a)
                1) use one hand ONLY or
                2) wear heavy insulating gloves

        and
        (b)     insulated shoes (new rubber-soled shoes are good,
                but worn soles are bad)

> >Also, the US is the ONLY country that has properly designed electrical
> >equipment.  Here, the two poles of an electric plug are NOT interchangeable.
> >
> >One is hot, and one is neutral.  Neutral is connected to the chassis
> >of the device, except in high-current devices, in which case, the chassis
> >is grounded to a 3rd line; Ground-pole on a US plug MUST be properly
> >grounded to a water pipe or into the earth.
>
> Admittedly, this is a good thing.
>

> >>       The rest of the world uses the metric system whilst you still use
> >>      the imperial system (which is surprising, you still have not
> >>       dropped even though its origins are from the Monarchy).
> >
> >We only use it for household goods, things the typical joe 6-pack and
> >susy housewife buy.
> >
> >Industrial goods and automobiles are all designed in metric.
> >
> >But..you see, this is a free country.  Sellers can use whatever
> >measurement system they like.  And if it appeals to purchasers,
> >great.  If it doesn't appeal to consumers, so be it.
> >
> >As it is, "legacy" things (like recipes) are in imperial units,
> >so there is a strong impetus to keep them.  Gallons are still used
> >for gasoline because there's no reason to change.
> >
> >On the other hand ever screw on an American automobile is metric,
> >to minimize redesign on export models.
>
> There are also issues with switching the hundreds of thousands of highway
> distance signs with fully metric versions (as opposed to either hybrid
> imperial/metric versions, as seen on two highways (I-5 and I-19), or
> pure imperial).  This could cost hundreds of millions, if not
> billions, of dollars, be highly confusing to all but the most scientific
> of drivers, and probably isn't worth the effort at this time.  (One
> would hope that signs that are replaced because of rust or other
> wear, however, are hybrid signs.  It might take awhile, but wear
> replacement is probably the best method to get everyone eventually
> thinking metric.)

Exactly.

> >>       The rest of the world uses degrees Celsius whilst you still use
> >>    farenheight.
>
> Pedant point: "Fahrenheit".  (One issue with C vs. F is that, in C,
> freezing and boiling pure water were used -- easy to calibrate, whereas
> with F, a freezing brine mixture and blood temperature were used.
> In both cases, 0=low, and 100=high.)
>

> >Can't figure out why we keep it...other than the fact that our
> >TV weather presenters tend to be some of the most dimwitted clods
> >in our society (good looking, but empty heads)
>
> I think there are more dimwitted clods out there than just
> the ones facing a blank blue or green screen and watching
> a monitor (the actual video is done using chroma-key; anything
> blue gets replaced by another video signal). :-)

did you ever watch "The Young Ones" episode in which they're
up late enough one night that the witness the BBC channel
going off the air for the night....and they're just sitting
their watching "the dot" in the center of the screen.

Eventually, Rick decides to go to bed, but Vivian says he's
gonna sit up a while longer and watch the dot.

> >> America = Microsoft, non-standard system.
> >> Rest of the world = Linux, open-standard, that everyone else has adopted
> >
> >Actually, Unix was invented in America....
>
> ...and Linux was originally invented in Finland, but is now

Unix -> Minix (stripped down Unix for 80286) -> Linux

Linus's main reason for coming up with a successor for Minix was
because the 80286 didn't have a supervisor (kernel) mode like
the VAX-11 and 80386.

> edited in America (since Linus is now over here) and submissions
> accepted from the entire world.  Can't get much more open
> than that -- although I suspect FreeBSD comes close.
>
> [rest snipped]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
>                     up 95 days, 1:50, running Linux.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux *has* the EDGE!
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 08:36:31 GMT

As I have always said, for every 1 Linux moaner there are 5 happy Linux
users.

kiwiunixman

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The 2.4.0 kernel was released at 4pm pst.
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 08:37:55 GMT

I'm too lazy, I'll wait until SuSE releases an update on their site.

kiwiunixman

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...