From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 07:06:35 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:

>> Now that we have the KGB records this is true.
>>
>> But the people he went after were the wrong people.
>
>The people he went after would have suffered not in the least
>if they had merely turned states' evidence and simply turned
>in the deeply burrowed traitors and moles.
>
>They knew names, but refused to reveal them.
>
>However, they thought preserving their ideology was more important
>than loyalty to their fellow citizens, and the very Constitution
>which keeps them free.
>
>So the suffered for it.
>
>Personally, I wish they had suffered even more devestating
>repercussions.
>
>Treason is bad enough.  Treason for the purpose of replacing
>freedom with tyranny is absolutely inexcusable.

I'll bite.  This looks like a good one.

Okay.
#1.  Not everybody he ran thru the mill fit this catagory.
#2.  If this reasoning were true, they we should be putting
suspected witness's of murders on trial as we suspect they
knew how done it.

To transport Linus back in time, we would find him on trial
as he's from a communist government....  I think his father
is still a reporter in Moscow actually.

Then there's the aspect of the CIA and all their actions.
It just tickles me pink to know now that the CIA was nowhere.
Yet the FBI had two people working directly for the premier
and were sending Hoover reports monthly.  Sometimes reports
would come every 2 weeks!  And this went on for over a
decade!

Imagine that.  That History channel is wonderful stuff.

--
Charlie

   **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
  / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
 / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
/_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
      http://www.debian.org

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Interesting article
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:08:04 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >

> >Steve Mading wrote:
> >>
> >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> >> : No, really, I want to know.
> >>
> >> : When it's good for Linux, Linux is Unix. When it's bad for Linux,
> >> : Linux isn't Unix.
> >>
> >> Bull.  There are many Unixen, of which Linux is one in every
> >> way except the legal trademark way.  This is very simple, and
> >> very consistent.  When speaking on technical issues, Linux is
> >> one of the Unixes.  When speaking on legal or corporate issues,
> >> (trademark discussions, or discussing how "unix companies" tend
> >> to act) it is not.
> >>
> >> Now, speaking on technical issues, both statements: "Linux is Unix"
> >> and "Linux is not UNIX" don't really fit 100%.  UNIX is a set of
> >> OSes, ONE of which is Linux.  Niether sentence tells the whole
> >> story.  You are comparing a set to a scalar.  This might be why
> >> you are confused on this very simple issue.  That's why
> >> I was careful to phrase it as "Linux is ONE OF THE Unixen".
> >> But English is a sloppy language, where it is *sometimes* acceptable
> >> to say "A is B" when you really mean "A is a subset of B"
> >> (Example, "a bannana is fruit".  This is because nouns sometimes
> >> are treated like objects and sometimes like classes, depending
> >> on context.  UNIX is such a noun.)
> >
> >Actually, a better way to put it is:
> >
> >          ------ ------
> >         / | | |X  - - \
> >        / | | |/+\- - - \
> >       / | | |/+ +\- - - \
> >      / | | |/+ + +\- - - \
> >     / | | |/+ + + +\- - - \
> >    | | | ||+ Linux +|- - - |
> >    | Linux| +  &  + | Unix |
> >    | | | ||+ Unix+ +|- - - |
> >     \ | | |\+ + + +/- - - /
> >      \ | | |\+ + +/- - - /
> >       \ | | |\+ +/- - - /
> >        \ | | |\+/- - - /
> >         \ | | |X- - - /
> >          -----   -----
> >

> MR KULKIS!  FOR CHRIST SAKES!@
> CHILDREN MAY BE READING THIS NEWSGROUP!
>
> TAKE THIS OBSCENE PICTURE OFF OF HERE PLEASE!!!

No...no...

THAT's not obscene....

....THIS is obscene:

          ------ ------
         / | | |X  - - \
        / | | |/U\- - - \
       / | | |/+ +\- - - \
      / | | |/+ + +\- - - \
     / | | |/+ + + +\- - - \
    | | | ||+ Linux +|- - - |
    | Linux| +  O  + | Unix |
    | | | ||+ Unix+ +|- - - |
     \ | | |\+ + + +/- - - /
      \ | | |\+ + +/- - - /
       \ | | |\+ +/- - - /
        \ | | |\+/- - - /
         \ | | |X- - - /
          -----   -----
               \|/
               -o-
               /|\

> >Except that the relative size of the "+" field is HUGE
> >and the size of the "-" and "|" fields are very small (about
> >1 to 2 orders of magnitude smaller than "+"
> >

> >> : I wish you guys would make up your mind and stick to something,
> >> : because it really just makes you look like idiots. But then,
> >> : we always knew that, I guess.
> >>
> >> Speaking in the royal "we", are "we", Chad?
> >
> >--
> >Aaron R. Kulkis
> >Unix Systems Engineer
> >DNRC Minister of all I survey
> >ICQ # 3056642
> >

> >H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >    premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >    you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >    you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> >I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >   challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >   between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >   Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> >J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >   The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >   also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
> >
> >A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
> >
> >B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >   method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >   direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> >C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> >D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >   ...despite (C) above.
> >
> >E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >   her behavior improves.
> >
> >F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >   adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
> >
> >G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
>
> --
> Charlie
>
>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
>   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
>  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
> /_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
>       http://www.debian.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:03:47 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> [...]
> this wasn't going to be a trial nor appeal but an attempt to get the sentence
> changed as they were already convicted of the crime.
>
> It never really sank in with them.
>
> I left this encounter, not really feeling like I got my ass chewed but rather
> wondering about the entire matter.  I felt that if Microsoft wasn't broken
> up then the competition from Linux would indeed eventually destroy them
> and I posted a prediction of 2005 for that event based on what I knew of
> the marketplace at that time.
>
> My prediction has not waivered in that time and I still think 2005 is
> the approximate time where Microsoft will loose it's king of the hill
> status to Linux.
>
> I had considered the court and Linux influences on the situation and
> *NEVER* gave a second thought about Microsoft internal actions.  I really
> didn't feel Microsoft would have any reason to change their business strategy.
> It wasn't necessary for them to change their business strategy.
>
> But Microsoft took this court ordered breakup possibility very seriously.
>
> They created .NET so that if the OS was ever seperated from the Applications
> .NET would keep the OS and Application layers together anyway.  It would
> also eliminate the copyright infringement problems they were experiencing
> in the workplace.
>
> I *NEVER* considered Microsofts own internal actions of creating .NET and
> it's impact on the health of Microsoft at large.
>
> When I look at .NET now I feel Microsoft has over-reacted and indeed set
> the company on a course of destruction.  Business's are not going to allow
> this day to day intrusion in their lives by Microsoft.  They don't want
> the threat of a lawsuit hanging on the second by second actions of their
> employee's without any way of controlling .NET's functions.
>
> Without .NET you have no functionality under this new gameplan yet there
> is no CONTROL of how .NET serves the business.
>
> And of course, there is the new campaign to attack all open source software,
> especially Linux, by using their political infuence within the Federal
> Government.  This action is extremely disasterous for them.  It looks bad
> in the eyes of the general public for a software giant to whine and demand
> special laws passed to stop an operating system known as Linux which has
> less than 3% of the overall market,,, whining and complaining that Linux
> will be their deaths.  It's clearly insanity.
>
> Or is it....  One of the basic problems with Linux is nobody has any clue
> as to the latests installed base.  All we know is how many hackers are
> working on the code.  We don't have any idea of where it's being used and
> by how many people as Linux generally isn't sold, it's downloaded for free.
>
> The residential Windows customers will be the first ones to leave and
> the home PC industry will begin to die as they will simply loose interest
> in the internet and PC's.  They will not be converting to Linux soon.

Preloads, as offered by HP, IBM, Compaq, and VA Linux will take care of
that.
More will join the fold.

As an added benefit, this will revitalize competition in the CPU
industry.

Motorola bowed out becuase MacIntosh sales weren't abundant enough to
continue the 680x0 line...and on the decline.

With Linux being portable to any modern CPU, this will prompt Motorola
to jump back into the game....because users should be able to switch
between CPU types with little to no pain.

> There will be a slight increase in home appliance useage but home appliances
> will not fill the void until 2008-2009.
>
> 30% of Microsoft's business base will be completely sheered off leaving
> Microsoft with a cash shortage to pay dividends.  Their return on investment
> will be diminished due to decreased customer base and by and large this
> will all be due to .NET actions and not Linux competition.
>
> And then we STILL have the court ordered breakup hanging over us and
> we don't know if the final judgement will even allow .NET to exist.

Good point.  I expect that Judge Jackson will see it for the typical
"violation of the spirit of the decree" that Microsoft is known for.

He's already well aware of this behavior...that's why he specifically
ruled out letting M$ off with a consent decree...because he was already
aware that M$ had violated the spirit of every previous consent decree.

As I recall...when Federal attornies presented the "break up M$ into
two corporations" plan....Jackson sent them back to come up with a
plan to divide M$ into even smaller pieces.

Unfortunately, they failed in that mission....which is too bad.

They should have divided them up into 3 pieces

1 OS company, and TWO applications companies... In competition with
each other.

> --
> Charlie
>
>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
>   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
>  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
> /_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
>       http://www.debian.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:09:50 -0500

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >

> >Robert Surenko wrote:

> >> Yes, it is possible to believe a event happened in the past...even
> >> if the event can't be repeated.
> >>
> >> That's why Materialism is hopelessly flawed. We all know that JFK
> >> was shot, but can't repeat the experiment. How do we go about
> >> proving a historical event.
> >
> >Zapruder film.
> >Autopsy.
> >Funeral.
> >
> >Case closed.
> >

> For a country which invented atomic weapons and put a man on the moon,
> this investigation of JFK's was just like a county paid pine box burial.
>
> JFK put the world close to nuclear war and this was *THEIR* answer
> for JFK.  That's what I believe.

All I know is that, just like James Earl Ray with the Martin Luther King
assasination....Oswald was just a patsy, set up for the purpose of
getting arrested for show.

> >--
> >Aaron R. Kulkis
> >Unix Systems Engineer
> >DNRC Minister of all I survey
> >ICQ # 3056642
> >

> --
> Charlie
>
>    **DEBIAN**                **GNU**
>   / /     __  __  __  __  __ __  __
>  / /__   / / /  \/ / / /_/ / \ \/ /
> /_____/ /_/ /_/\__/ /_____/  /_/\_\
>       http://www.debian.org

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:15:43 -0500

Todd wrote:

> "T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Said Mike Byrns in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:54:52
> > >"Aaron Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> from
> > >it.

> assertion.

> > >Such weighty content Aaron ;-)  UNIX doesn't really "develop".  It's an
> old
> > >picture from the 60s that was done developing long ago.  Now it's in
> > >maintenance mode -- striving to keep up as new hardware and technologies
> > >surface.  I've seen very little development in the core BSD tools since
> > >Stallman's days.  Oh, I know, it's because they are PERFECT now ;-)  I
> get
> > >it -- NOT!
> >
> > No, its because, where development is done, it isn't done by modifying
> > the old tools, but by developing new tools which are less 'not perfect'.
> > Such is the way of computer software.  Where the old tools still are in
> > use, it is because they serve the purpose necessary; if you wish to
> > improve them, you are free to do so.  More likely, though, you would
> > come up with something new.
> >
> > *Unix* doesn't develop because it isn't a product.  The technology only
> > changes when it serves a purpose; Unix hasn't gotten more
> > consumer-oriented, simply, because consumers don't have access to Unix,
>
> Consumers wouldn't *choose* UNIX... you can easily get UNIX off the net or
> in many stores (Linux) and even preloaded.

Most users don't even know what UNIX is....and the few that do, a large
majority were scared off by the 1988 "Unix is difficult and awful and
scarrry and all kinds of hooorrrrrrrrrrrrible things" FUD campaign.

As if "mkdir" is simple when typed under command.com, but incredibly
perplexing when typed into ksh.

> > due to Microsoft's illegal monopolization of the pre-load market.
>
> Nope.  First of all, a monopoly isn't illegal.

Acquiring a monopoly by illegal methods is.
And the Digital Research DR-DOS suit was COMPLETELY about illegal
behavior which Mafiasoft committed to acquire the DOS monopoly.

>                                               Secondly, nobody is forced
> to preload Windows... if this were true, you wouldn't see Linux preloads.
>
> The bottom line is this:  The guys running the shops who need to make a
> living *know* that consumers would balk at Linux... heck, Linux doesn't even
> have a decent browser!
>
> Don't blame Linux' problems on MS.  Linux is an open system and its problems
> are not in anyway MS' fault.
>
> -Todd
>

> > --
> > T. Max Devlin