From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:10:06 -0500

chrisv wrote:

> T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >>Well lets see, a law on the books in Florida stated that the the Secretary
> >>of State SHALL certify the results by a certain date. The Florida Supreme
> >>court issued an order stating that the Secretary of State SHALL NOT certify
> >>by that date. I'd call that "subverting" the existing law, not
> >>"interpreting" it.
> >
> >Thus supporting the theory that Republicans are simply wrapping
> >themselves in the flag, and claiming that any Democratic action
> >whatsoever was "subverting" the law.  A relatively worrisome indication
> >of the kind of civil environment we can expect under Republican rule.
>
> This is incredibly dense.  You just have an insult for every occasion,
> even when you clearly have no facts to back you up.  Maybe you should
> stick with computer-related topics, where you appear to actually have
> a clue.

I agree with this post.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Would Linux be invented if?
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 16:21:59 +0100

Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> I'm just pointing out the HYPOCRISY of the American left-wingers who
> get soooooooooo hung up on symbolism...and then get all goo-goo misty-eyed
> every time they see a car originally designed as "The Peoples' Car" during
> Hitler's reign.

I think you're drunk 24 / 7. You know, that car you're speaking of has not
ONE part in common with that "Peoples Car". In addition, it looks quite
different, does not have the motor in the rear, has a water cooled engine
etc etc. Just to say that this new Beetle has something to do with the old
one is just bullshit and you know it. You're still an asshole.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.fan.bill-gates,alt.destroy.microsoft,alt.microsoft.sucks
Subject: Re: Big government and big business: why not fear both - www.ezboard.com
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:26:46 -0500

David Brown wrote:

> >> You really are naive, aren't you?  Lots of real and win modems say
> >> absolutely nothing on the box.  Lots of real and win modems say on the
> box
> >> that they emulate a 16550 uart, or have a 16550-compatible uart (very,
> very
> >> few have a real physical 16550 chip these days).  There is no
> correlation.
> >>
> >> If the modem is external, and connects to a serial port, then it must be
> >> real modem.
> >
> >Yep.  Key here being SERIAL PORT.
> >

> Actually, the key here being "external".

Actually both.

>  If it connects via USB, or the
> parallel port (some do - I have one lying around here that is both an ISDN
> TA and a modem, and uses the parallel port to get the full ISDN 128 kbaud),
> or a network, it will still be a real modem.  It may not have drivers for

USB might have high enough bandwidth to do the LoseModem trick...

> Linux or OSes other than windoze, but it will still be a real modem.
> Obviously if you want to be sure it works under Linux, you are much safer
> with a serial port modem, but even if you stick to windoze you are better
> with a real modem rather than a winmodem, and a USB modem will often work
> very nicely.
>

> >>            That is the surest way to tell (it is also safer - you can
> turn
> >> it off, so your computer does not decide by itself that it will ring your
> >> ISP without telling you).  For internal modems, documentation and
> >> information is often very misleading.
> >
> >I don't trust ANY internal modems any more.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Red Hat dead/dying?
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:30:28 -0500

"John A. Stewart" wrote:

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> >James Hutchins wrote:
> >>
> >> http://www.wired.com/news/linux/0,1411,40513,00.html
>
> >Typical business downsizing.  I've always maintained that the best jobs
> >were with universities doing research.  At CMU (Carnegie Mellon
> >University) in Pittsburgh, certain staff/research positions involving
> >hacking on the Linux kernel, and getting paid to do it.  That would be a
> >decent job to have, seeing as to how a lot of people do hacking on the
> >Linux kernel in their free time.  I think universities should be doing a
> >lot more of this.  I say this because Berkeley produced a fine unix
> >distribution like this, and I don't see why the trend couldn't
> >continue.  I'm not saying run the colleges' budgets dry developing
> >Linux, BSD or whatever.  Rather, unix open source development should be
> >fit in where ever possible.  The result is that they would get a return
> >on their own research, that is, a great operating system for free.
>
> When I started working in the Academic Support Group at Carleton University
> almost 20 years ago, we were able to spend a considerable portion of our
> time on software development and research type work.  Since then we've
> gone from having a single mainframe computer on campus, to having thousands
> of networked desktop and server machines.  Demand for service has
> exploded -- from perhaps 10% of the university community using computing
> facilities to close to 100%.  The net result is that we have difficulty
> maintaining a basic service level even though there are more staff
> involved in computer support than ever before.  I don't know of anyone

Replace Windows with Linux....

Seriously.  I recently did a contract with EDS.  We supported over
5,000 Unix workstations at GM sites scattered all over Michigan and
even farther away from one room with a staff of less then 20 people.

This took care of all problems other than hardware failures.

For those situations, each GM site has a couple of people on duty
during business hours to do things like keyboard/mouse/spaceball
replacement, and escorting the vendors' Service Engineers to the
workstation in question if more extensive work needed to be done.

These people are barely Unix-literate.

> on campus nowadays who has time to do any significant amount of software
> development.  I think you'll find the same story at just about any other
> university except perhaps the wealthiest ones such as Stanford.

> --
> John Stewart -- Computing and Communications Services, Carleton University
> Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                       613-520-2600x3707
> "you are incompetent bloodlusting idiot pirates. -- CCS student feedback"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt,comp.os.ms-windows,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows 2000 sucks compared to linux
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:31:29 -0500

Andres Soolo wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > you the future.  Toyota is the largest car company in the world.
> > They didn't get that way by being idiots...
> Be careful with that one.  Someone could say Microsoft is the largest
> OS company in the world, with all the implications.

Bill Gates is smart...the only problem is, his expertise is in
criminal business practices.

> > Will you just wait for the price of windows to climb so high
> > you can't afford it anymore?  Will this be your rallying cry
> > to finally learn Linux so you can keep going?
> They'll just become elitists :-)
>
> > This is what you will be facing in just 3 months time.
> > I just saw a risc based PDA for $147 also!
> Who makes it?  There's a good chance I might need a PDA soon, and I'd
> hate getting one with non-free software.
>
> --
> Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Croll's Query:
>         If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Profitability of Linux being a challenge
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 15:50:16 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> * wrote:
>
> > what's interesting about this, is that of all the crimes going on in the world
> > today, you choose to throw your laughable resources into exposing the tyrannies of
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > man, who, it seems, is doing a fine job of just that all by himself.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> So, you now admit that yes, Bill Gates is commiting crime on a massive scale.

i now admit? when have i ever said otherwise about a criminal trial i know and care
very
little about?

you know, i'm posting from alt.linux.sux, not ms-windows.advocacy.

oh, and i'm writing this on a mac. stupid.

> > so even though you see yourself as some kind of whistle-blowing champion of geeks
> > everywhere, you're still accountable, according to you, for being quiet about
> > countless other documented though unresolved conflicts going on in the world,
> > perpetrated by 'evil men'
>
> When I see something wrong, I speak up.  However, I'm not omniscient.
>
> You have a problem with that?

no, but apparently you do: 'by remaining ignorant and doing nothing, you are assisting
evil.'

> > what's even more interesting is that even though you unix geeks like drawing
> > parallels between gates and hitler, and an early 90's interview that you are
>
> Hitler wanted to take over the economy of Europe.
> Gates stated that he wanted to take over the economy of the world.

umm. hitler wanted to kill some jews. and some blacks and gypsies. and some more jews.
and by then most everyone else in the world.

> Draw your own conclusions.

you're an idiot?

> > obviously alluding to mein kampf, you are still talking about the worlds greatest
> > humanitarian.
>
> Holocaust deniars have long lists of (true) "humanitarian gestures" by
> Hitler.
>
> For example, Hitler gave all the wealth and property that was stolen from
> Jews to impoverished Germans.

> Similarly, Gates gives a miniscule amount of his ill-gotten gains to
> universities and a handful of charities.

similarly? umm, hitler also made furniture from the skins of the jews after he killed
them.

so, what have you given to charity then?

> So, by that logic, bank robbers should go free if they can produce a
> cancelled check to some charity or another.

god you are obtuse. i never said microsoft wan't accountable for their crimes.

> Please enlighten us about your views that extortion and theft are OK
> as long as you give a percentage to charity.
>
> > personally i see gates as something of a modern-day rockafeller.
> > only he made a lot more people wealthy besides himself.
>
> Apparently,  you are UN-fucking-AWARE that Rockefeller's Standard Oil
> was convicted of the SAME CRIMES as Microsoft.

umm. i was entirely aware. hence the comparison. what are you stupid. or something. or
what?

> so, let me detail that out for you
>
> Personally, I see Gates as something of a modern-day (CRIMINAL) Rockefeller.
>
> Oh, by the way, the (criminal) Rockefeller ALSO made a lot of other
> people wealthy besides himself.

yes. but his average employee was barely surviving on his wages. compare that to your
average microsoft employee.

> Once again, are you arguing that some ill-defined benefit (making some
> people rich) justifies the means (violating the rights of other people)?

i never said it justified anything. learn to read you cretin.

all i meant by the rockefeller comparison was, and i'll try to go slow, that today, we,
people, me and you, think of rockefeller generally in a good light because of the
charitable, good, things he did in the later years of his life, old. old years. when he
was young, that same money he used to build the schools and libraries, charitable
things,
he got through, as you say, ill-gotten means.

he did not kill some 6 million jews. he did not perform all kinds of psycho experiments
on anyone. he did not have his wife scheis on him. eat his wife's scheis. or scheis
knows
what else.

rockefeller, and gates, are just your cold-blooded business men types. and gates it
seems, much like rockefeller, is developing a conscience now that's he made his
millions.
or billions as it were.

can you dig?

or are you really as stupid as you're coming across.

y'r pal -kK

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Larry R)
Subject: Re: Almost 60% Surveyed Plan To Install Windows 2000
Date: 5 Jan 2001 15:39:51 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (kiwiunixman) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>1st I don't care

Fine then ignore the message.

>2nd Please, if you are going to advocate use a proper email address,
>because clearly, you are just trying to be an asshole by posting here
>not using you proper email address.

The email address I posted at the end of my post *IS* proper to a human reading
it.

Only an ASSHOLE would call someone they don't know, that has done nothing to
provoke such a statement, an asshole.

It is simply a way for me to avoid more SPAM.  My mailbox already fills up with
too many sleezy ads from porno sites, mass email marketers, etc. (at least 30-
50 messages a day) and I have never even been to an X rated site.

>3rd Thats America - The rest of the world won't, due to the expensive
>hardware upgrades, retraining and other associated costs when deploying
>software.
>
>kiwiunixman

I simply posted this to point out the absurdity of Winvocates claims.  Most of
folks I talk to around here wouldn't let w2k touch any peice of their hardware.

I certainly would never give up any of my Solaris systems to make room for Win
boxes.  My uptime last year was 99.94% (about 5 down hours?) on a SUN E450.
And that only because a mistake I made.