From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it does)
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:26:14 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> What the hell are you smoking?

Listen, Doofus...classical AI ***DOESN'T WORK****.

Heuristic methods don't work reliably enough to configure your machine for you
...if they did work, they would be ALGORITHMS.

Now....why don't you quit making a foold of yourself and go take about
80 credit hours of computer science and computer systems engineering.

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Kyle Jacobs wrote:
> > >
> > > Listen, there IS a technology called "pattern detection" which works on
> Word
> > > macro viruses (to detect "suspect" patterns).
> >
> > Of course, putting such functionality into a WYSIWYG editor so that it can
> > even carry a virus is the ultimate in LOUSY FUCKING DESIGN in the first
> place.
> >

> > > Why can't pattern and behavior recognition be instituted into an
> intelligent
> > > recognition system to recognize the interdependencies, and MODIFY the
> > > previous configuration strings accordingly?
> > >
> > > I'm thinking an XML system meets heuristics detection from AV.
> > >
> > > "Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:932c5b$ju6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> all
> out,

> correctly.

> of
> and
> valueB,

> from

> smb.conf,

> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: open source is getting worst with time.
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 05:30:08 GMT

"kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:3a57a5a5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I've played rugby and cricket, and both sports are awsome.  After looking
at
> a baseball game, the only people I could see actually liking the game
would
> be TPT (Tralor Park Trash), who are ammused easily by an uncivilised,
> burping, farting, tobacco-chewing, red-neck batters/pitchers.  How many
> people/stations watch/televise baseball? very few (apart from ESPN, which
> will show you any shitty sport, no matter how obscure).  Is obvious you
have
> never really played a game of cricket (for a club) in your life, or have
the
> ability to bowl or bat properly.
>
> kiwiunixman

As I said, I played it only once. If a club existed anywhere in that state
(or any other), I'm unaware of it. Cricket is quite uncommon here. I was
introduced to it by Aussie and Indian friends in college. My bowling was the
subject of great amusement. My batting equally so. If I hadn't been raised
pitching overhand and batting with Louisville Sluggers, things might have
been different <g>. All in all, I found it boring because of the pace. The
same complaint I have with baseball.

If I had to take my pick of European sports, Rugby and Soccer would be the
ones. Especially rugby! I think, if it were pushed hard enough, it could
actually catch on over here.Well, maybe not. Too many wimps, safety freaks
and over-protective parents round here for that to happen.

Baseball isn't the same sport it used to be when I was a kid. The game went
downhill the minute they started paying them millions of dollars a year. It
turned them into color-coordinated prima-donnas instead of athletes. I
stopped watching it years ago (early 1980s).

--
Tom Wilson
Sunbelt Software Solutions

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:30:17 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Kyle Jacobs
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 06 Jan 2001 04:10:08 GMT
> <AUw56.154923$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >I call it revolutionary.  Bite me.
>
> It may be revolutionary, or merely evolutionary, but I would have
> to agree somewhat with Aaron here; the idea of an artificial
> intelligence control system looks good on paper / in theory, but it
> makes the system that much harder to control precisely.
> It might be all right if the AI system is bypassable and the user
> can directly monitor and control the underlying tools, but it
> may be a disaster otherwise.
>
> Call me a control freak, but I want to be able to control my tools,
> not have them do ultra-smart (or ultra-dumb!) things unexpectedly
> while my back is turned.
>
> Considering my experience with the term "intuitive" (with Tholen),
> others may disagree -- but, if the AI and I don't see eye to eye,
> ay-yi-yi! :-)
>
> It also can introduce additional instabilities and vulnerabilities.
> Hackers love to take advantage of vulnerabilities (cf the nice
> crop of viruses we have growing now out in the wild!), and
> the instabilities mean either auto-reboot, or shutdown the given
> tool and restart again.
>
> I can't say we should reject it out of hand, however.  It may be
> possible to effectively make the AI an advisory, by e.g. filling
> out defaults on various control panels (forms) and the user can
> then quickly scan them and ensure that they make sense before
> pressing the dreaded [OK] button.  Of course, the user will
> need some education; blindly trusting an advisory AI is almost
> as bad as having the AI take over.

Translation: there is NO SUBSTITUTE for knowing what the fuck you're doing.

If you don't have the necessary knowledge to evaluage whether the
AI's suggestions are proper or not, then you're merely placing
blind trust in the AI system....

The *ONLY* AI systems that have demonstrated even minimal success
are neural networks....which are absolutely inappropriate for
evaluating free-form text like config files.

>                                        However, one would also help
> for on-line help documentation, in this case.
>

> >"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >idea.
> >>
> >> You really are in junior high school, aren't you.
> >>
> >> Anybody who would trust "artificial intelligence" to reconfigure their
> >> system deserves whatever fucking disaster ensues.

> >on

> >the

> >> --
> >> Aaron R. Kulkis
> >> Unix Systems Engineer
> >> DNRC Minister of all I survey
> >> ICQ # 3056642
> >>

> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
>                     up 95 days, 23:55, running Linux.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux vs Microsoft
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:34:51 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> You may want to review your history on Linux

You might want to go to a decent university and get yourself an education.

> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't see Windows 2000 (nor NT) listed on your resume. Therefore you
> > > have no experience on any enterprise class software from Microsoft and
> > > are unable to have a credible first hand opinion regarding such. I
> > > understand your frustration with Microsoft's consumer level operating
> > > systems, especially if you are attempting to run third party enterprise
> > > class software on a consumer level operating system.
> >
> > Translation:  In 20 years of doing business, Microsoft is just now
> > reaching the stability that Linux had in less than one year.
> >
> > Ooooooooooooh, call me unimpressed.
> >
> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >
> > H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >     you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> > I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> > J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
> >
> > A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
> >
> > B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >    direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> > C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> > D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (C) above.
> >
> > E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >    her behavior improves.
> >
> > F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
> >
> > G:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux can be made unstable, too.
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:38:01 -0500

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Jan 2001 00:43:33 +0000, JM <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >On Fri, 5 Jan 2001 23:45:43 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> > (Peter Köhlmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >> I have a UPS running at home (2 computers + telephone system
> >> connected to it, 1000 Watts power for about half an hour) and it
> >> costs about 400 Dollars.
>
> > 400 Dollars is a LOT if the power hardly ever goes out.
>
> 1000 Watts is a pretty big UPS.  A 250 with five minutes of holdup will
> do fine for a single computer and can be had for about $150.  All you
> need is enough time to do a clean shutdown (which can be automated).

If you want more...just buy some SEALED lead-acid batteries, crack-open
your UPS (make SURE you never touch the capacitor unless you like the
smell of burnt skin), and wire the batteries IN PARALLEL with the
battery in the UPS. Your endurance will be roughly proportional to
the total volume of all batteries.

> OTOH, if your phones run off of it, you'll probably want more than five
> minutes <g>.
>
> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| To Whom You Are Speaking
>  -| http://www.haucks.org/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:39:37 -0500

"." wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >>It depends on the program, but you can get them to be anywhere you like
> >>if you read the documentation.
>
> > Wrong....It doesn't work, and you know something I AM SICK AND FUCKING
> > TIRED OF READING SHIT JUST TO PERFORM SIMPLE TASK UNDER LINUX!!
>
> And now we can all see what your problem is.  You know all about windows,
> and somehow you believe that this translates into "knowledge about
> computers".

You mean a computer isn't TV? :-)

> It doesnt.  Knowing how to drive a '73 VW superbeetle does not mean you
> know how to drive a Mclaren F1.
>
> If you dont want to learn an operating system, dont use it.  Case
> closed.
>
> -----.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:44:21 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 6 Jan 2001 17:06:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:
>
> >No, you havent, since the SB Live has not existed for "years".  This
> >is an outright lie.  You are an outright liar, just like all of your
> >ones.
>
> SBLive is at least 3 years old. Do some research before you show your
> ignorance.
>
> >No, ext2fs is actually absolutely nothing like XFS or UFS.  If you knew
> >as much as the guy who used to write your posts for you about things
> >like this, youd know that.
>
> Permissions work exactly the same.  Duhhhhh...
>
> >Word perfect for linux is actually not a wine port, since it predates wine
> >by at least two years.  Another lie.
>
> It is therefore a native Linux program?

Clue for the fucking clueless.  Word Perfect was ported to SCO Unix over
a DECADE ago.  To port the SCO version to Linux is trivial.

Hope that helps, dumbass.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:45:32 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Jan 2001 20:12:30 GMT, J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >WordPerfect 7 & 8 are indeed native Linux programs.
>
> Point taken.
> I was talking about the latest version, the Wordperfect 2000 edition.
                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^

You misppelled "Post-Micro$haft-hostile-takeover edition"

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 00:53:15 -0500
From: Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where can I get good info on setting up Linux

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On 07 Jan 2001 03:31:17 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (ZHN) wrote:
>
> > Where can I get good info on setting up Linux?
> >Yep! Where?  I have a 750 mhz athlon, nvidia 64 mother
> >have a cd_rw  and a DVD can I set up linux under these circumstances on this
> >machine?
>
> DVD+Linux?
>
> You must be kidding?
>
> Why on earth would you want to waste such a great machine on Linsux?
>
> Get a copy of Win2k and use your system to it's fullest capabilities
> instead of running an abortion like Linsux.

linux lets me use my ATI tv tuner and recognizes my DVD drive, unlike
win98.