From: "Steve Sheldon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 23:46:23 -0500

"Peter Köhlmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jan Johanson wrote:
>
> > It continues to amaze me that the ONLY people having these sorts of
> > absolute failures under Windows are linux users.
> >
> > Are linux users that univerally inadept at running Windows?
>
> Jan at his best, dumb and without any clue whatsoever.

I'm not sure why you would call Jan dumb, I found his statement to be very
close to the truth.

> Did you ever think that the overwhelmng majority of these linux-users did
> use windows before they switched or are still using it today in addition
> to linux?

You know, I once considered this.  But then wouldn't these people actually
have some knowledge of the product?

> There your whole argument falls apart. But that was clear from the
> beginning - you are simply a wintroll (saying by itself that you´re about
> as dumb as a pile of horseshit)

Wow, name calling.  How vogue that must be.

Jan is right, you are wrong.  I think maybe you should learn to deal with
that.  Or better yet, crack the books open and start learning something so
you can argue from an informed point of view.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 21:44:59 -0700

Tom Wilson wrote:

> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9d5iqh$m13$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > I had a flaked-out 24x CD ROM that would go schitzo and literally eject
> > > itself while the disk was spinning at full RPMS. They'd litterally fly
> > > out of the thing.
> >
> > That is _so_ cool!. I would definitely keep that drive :-)
> >

> I thought the same thing too, in hindsight. After it totally trashed an NT
> Workstation CD (No scratches...Gouges...Deep Ones... It was intercepted by
> the coffee machine and the microwave), I promptly shutdown the system,
> popped the case, removed the drive, marched straight to the dumpster, and
> SLAMMED that sucker into it.  Practically threw my arm out of socket. The
> thing exploded all over the place.
>
> After I calmed down, I regretted doing it as it would have made one hell of
> a novelty item. (Making sure, of course, to only launch those worthless AOL
> and MSN CDs across my office)

Skeet shoot!

From: "Steve Sheldon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 23:54:28 -0500

"Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:N5JJ6.7338$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:njIJ6.15446$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> No embellishment. I at first suspected DMA problems, especially with the
> older P166 box. The newer PIII (ASUS MB), seemed to be nearly as bad. Some
> of the problems improved after applying BIOS patches and drivers for the
> PCI-Bridge. Still, it doesn't perform at all well under Windows. I have
yet
> to try it under 2K as I removed it for reasons I mentioned previously. The
> OS in use here, when I say Windows, is either 98SE or NT4 (Sp5).

Out of curiousity what is the point in having a debate with you if you are
not going to spend the time to keep up with recent releases?  SP5 has been
out for well over 2 years now.

Should all discussion regarding why Linux sucks be relegated to the version
1.3 kernel?  That 1.3 kernel really has crappy SMP, and it sure doesn't
handle large network loads well at all.

> > How so? Really, CD Burning isn't all that intensive. I have a TNT 2
Ultra
> > so UT doesn't really bang my CPU THAT hard. Sure, it's 100% CPU Util,
but
> > it's not super intensive so Win2K can timeslice it pretty well.
>
> I'll grant you that 2K appears to handle heavy utilization much better
than
> NT4 did. That's one of the first things I noticed while using it.

I highly doubt you know what heavy utilization is.

> > I have a fairly recent burner, so it has a nice large on-board buffer
> > and I never have problems.
>
> My 2x burner has a 768K buffer and i've no idea what the newer one has. I
> simply bought it under impulse as I had a massive amount of data to burn
and
> had no desire to wait 35 minutes (2x) to write each disk. As cheap as the
> things are now, I almost consider them disposable.

They are disposable.  I bitched about this in the CDR newsgroup a few months
ago.  It's cheaper for me to go buy a new CDR and get the Adaptec software
for free than it is to go buy an upgrade for just the software from Adaptec.

I'm not a fan of Adaptec, BTW.

> > Hmm, maybe in your part of the world, but I have no such issue.
>
> As I previously mentioned, I have no reason to lie. I truly wish the
problem
> were imaginary. My systems work fine outside of that little issue.

I don't know, the ability to lie and make stuff up seems to be endemic of
the Linux advocate.  It has some psychological basis in wanting to justify
to one self that you made a good decision, even though you have severe
doubts.

I know, I used to be one, along with an OS/2 advocate and an Amiga zealot.

> > I may give you that for DirectCD, but EZ CD is pretty good, IMHO.
Perhaps
> you
> > just need to learn a little bit about Windows or something. But from
what
> > you've described, it seems as though you've never used it and are just
> > making things up.
> >
> > Wouldn't be the first time....
>
> Nope, I used it quite a bit when I first bought the Phillips 2x burner.
Not
> impressed at all by it. The newer version that came with the 8x10x32 drive
> (4.02e), is IMHO, worse just for the hand-holding annoyance factor and
that
> damned little "clippy-like" helper.

Well new users appreciate that kind of help.  Other than that it is
identical to the older version except it seems to be quite a bit more
stable.

> I've used Windows since 1.0 was released. (Actually didn't use it MUCH
until
> 3.0)

Nobody did.

I didn't start using Windows until 3.1 was released, and even then hated it
until Win95 was released then I found it tolerable.  I've been Linux free
since 1996, and Win9x free since 1997.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Subject: Re: Shared library hell
Date: 8 May 2001 04:52:09 GMT

On Mon, 07 May 2001 09:34:38 GMT,
Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Simple. You put the DLL in the application directory.
>>> Hey presto, it loads.
>>
>> So then if you have multiple applications you end up with multiple
>> instances of the dll all over the place, completely defeating the
>> purpose of a shared library.
>
> Which is precisely what happens due to the problems I pointed out in my
> original post.

But with Linux, you can completely avoid these problems by first
configuring your symbolic links correctly and then as needed using the
features described above. Learn how to do both.

------------------------------

From: "Steve Sheldon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bank switches from using NT 4
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 00:02:01 -0500

"Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:o0xJ6.7186$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I can remember back in the early eighties when they proposed a Zilog-Z80
> based home computer standard (Trying as hard as I can to remember the name
> of the thing. ASX keeps coming to mind, but, I'm sure that's the wrong
> acronym) It was light-years behind what Apple and Commodore had already
> done. Their marketing effot over here died as quickly as it started.
That's
> the only time I can remember them being so clueless when it came to
> technology.

It was called MSX.  I don't agree that it was light-years behind,
considering at the time it came out ('83 or so) both of those companies had
some pretty stagnant hardware they were selling.

Found some info on it, if you are interested:
http://www.komkon.org/fms/MSX/MSX.faq

> That sort of backwards compatability has been a big thorn in MS's side.
(Why
> upgrade when the old stuff works fine?) It won't surprise me to see legacy
> obsolescence happen a lot sooner with XP. Especially if their efforts at
> diversifying don't bear fruit.

The backwards compatibility isn't a thorn, it is the selling feature of the
Microsoft products.

> > Now - sure, MS could do what you propose. Come out with Windows -3112
"The
> > Antiupgrade" and have it rewritten from the ground up by european teens
on
> > supporting only the very latest popular standards and just ignoring
> > everything that is "uncool" in the scene at that minute and just ignore
> the
> > VAST installed userbase and blow off every single manufacturer and ISV
and
> > force them to grok some new undocumented (documentation is uncool and
> boring
> > to true hackerz) APIs...
> >
> > <sarcasm>yea, great idea!</sarcasm>
>
> Now that's just being silly.

Not really, it's called Linux.

------------------------------

From: "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Now push hard
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 01:20:48 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >    By the way, my company is using Starofice for desktop office,
>> > and developing a Java program to substitute gestion one.
>>
>> How are you finding the MS-Conversions in Staroffice? Last time I used
>> it it still had quite a few errors (some subtle - some not), but I am
>
> More likely, the errors are in MS..

THe java version of ICQ is horrendously slow.  Limewire (gnutella clone)
isn't too bad but still a bit on the slow side.  Both of them for some
reason always want to open windows on my screen so the title bar is above
my viewing area which means the only way i can move the windows around is
with the 'virtual window' viewing area in the lower left corner of my E
desktop.  I don't know why the java apps do that but the damn thing is
annoying.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux disgusts me
Date: 08 May 2001 05:31:29 GMT

On Sun, 06 May 2001 20:27:12 GMT,
 Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> AbiWord?
>> ????????
>
> AbiWord is an alpha product at best and has some amazing redraw problems
> with large documents.
I hadn't used it myself apart from a few tests, so I thought I'd
check out Petes claims.

Step1/ Make a large txt file
404380 May  7 13:27 test_big_file.txt

This file is most of my dictionary, one word per line.

[tp@gronk tp]$ wc test_big_file.txt
80551(words)   40275(lines)  404380bytes  test_big_file.txt

This I loaded into Lyx, using the 'ascii import, words" menu
,it took a while to do this, and then I saved it, and re opened
the new file 1089557 May  7 13:25 test_big_file.lyx.

Lyx took about 3 minutes to load this file.

Then I tried to open the test_big_file.txt file with Abiword.
"Preview release 0.7"

12:50 Start
15:22 And it still hasn't loaded the file!

Looks like pete is right, and Abiword isnt ready yet?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: If Windows is supposed to be so "thoroughly" tested...
Date: 08 May 2001 06:03:02 GMT

On Mon, 07 May 2001 12:11:54 GMT,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Typical answer from Terry. In other words, no answer, just crap and insults.

Yawn, pot kettle etc ...

> Keep moving Linux advocacy to the high ground Terry.
??

> (could you do your readers (fellow zealots) a favor and put some whitespace
> between the original and quoted text?)

Sure, providing you post your replies at the end of the article to which you
responded?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: "no body" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Custom Pentium IV Starting at $781 @ Legacy Systems Online Store
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 06:16:02 GMT

'legacy systems" -  this is probably the funniest bit of spam I've seen
in a long time.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux has one chance left.........
Date: 08 May 2001 06:17:15 GMT

On Sun, 06 May 2001 20:43:59 GMT,
 Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> No. It would involve my giving my time away for free so that some
>> corporation could reap the benefits of my work.
>
> Isn't that what the GPL is designed to prevent?
Exactly, which is why Apple and Micro$haft don't like the GPL.

>> I have nothing against the open source movement or the programmers
>> that dedicate their time and talents for free,
Nor does anyone else.

>> but somebody is making
>> a buck off of Linsux and it isn't them.

I doubt anyone is making any big money, selling the Linux OS.

> You think those distros are making huge profits? Yet some are collapsing.
>
> When I chose recently to make the sources for my 3D scene editor "open
> source" (see http://mse.sourceforge.net/),

Nice looking app.

> I did it for a few simple
> reasons: (i) I'm realistic, I'm never going to make money out of this
> project and (ii) I'm getting stale and need the input from others on this
> thing.
>
> Previously, there have been around 5000 downloads of my scene editor. 10
> people contacted me, some offering to pay money for it. It's an interesting
> project (to me anyway) but it's not commercial. So why not open source?

And you released it under the GPL.

Three cheers for Pete Goodwin!

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Article: Want Media Player 8? Buy Windows XP
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 08:57:50 +0200

"Johan Kullstam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > "Johan Kullstam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > i visited <URL:http://freedb.org/> i could find no link called
> > > "COPYING".  nor was the word "copying" to be found anywhere on the
> > > page.  please be more specific.
> >
> > ftp://www.freedb.org/pub/freedb/COPYING
>
> that has to do with the freedb software sources.  it does not pertain
> to the data you store in freedb.

Wrong file, sorry, read README file
Qoute:

For purposes of interpreting the GPL in connection with this work: The
database is distributed in the form of plain text files. These
will generally be processed into to another form.  The text form should
be considered "source code" and the other form should be considered a
"compiled program".

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 09:02:00 +0200

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sun, 06 May 2001 19:22:59 -0400
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Quantum Leaper wrote:
> >>
> >> "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:3DXI6.6016$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> I though it was amusing, Aaron calling some stupid for finishing
college,
> >> when Aaron never did...
> >
> >Nah...I'm just saying that a degree =/= education.
> >
> >I know people with PhD's who still don't have an education.
>
> Contrariwise, Bill Gates, who never finished college (IIRC), is now
> a multibillionaire.
>
> Go fig.
>
> That's either a testament to Bill's tenacity or the
> general public's gullibility/stupidity.  :-)
>
> (Anyone know of Larry Ellison's schooling?)

Drop out too, I believe.

Some magazine tried to make out resume for both of them, and see if they
could get a job in today's market, neither got an offer, BTW.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 09:16:46 +0200

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Nah! FUD!
> >
> > You qouted the whole articles for *two* words?
> > And what was FUD about it?
>
> GPL is a viral thing... totally untrue.

Really? Show me how I can incorporate GPL code with any other code without
turning the whole thing to GPL?
Where is the GPLed browser using Gecko?
Where is non-GPL KDE application?

http://www.openave.net/community/features/inoc.shtml
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:www.technocrat.net/964911538/index_html
+konqueror+license&hl=en

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 08 May 2001 06:26:49 GMT

On Sun, 06 May 2001 21:42:26 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 06 May 2001 20:43:59 GMT, Pete Goodwin
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>You think those distros are making huge profits? Yet some are collapsing.
>
> I think SOME people involved with them are/have made fortunes off of
> Linux.
Doubtfull.

> IBM will be making a fortune off of Linux as well by boosting it's
> hardware sales.
Sure but that *requires* the IBM hardware,theyre supplying something
physical.

> Is any of this money going back to the people working hard to make and
> support Linux?
Wrong question!

Linux authors who release their code under the GPL, ****DON'T****
 want any money.

And we aren't working hard to support Linux, we are just giving something
back, as the Linux community has done so much for us.

Free Micro burner: http://jsno.downunder.net.au/terry/

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 23:28:56 -0700

Terry Porter wrote:

> On Sun, 06 May 2001 20:27:12 GMT,
>  Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> ????????
> >
> > AbiWord is an alpha product at best and has some amazing redraw problems
> > with large documents.
> I hadn't used it myself apart from a few tests, so I thought I'd
> check out Petes claims.
>
> Step1/ Make a large txt file
> 404380 May  7 13:27 test_big_file.txt
>
> This file is most of my dictionary, one word per line.
>
> [tp@gronk tp]$ wc test_big_file.txt
> 80551(words)   40275(lines)  404380bytes  test_big_file.txt
>
> This I loaded into Lyx, using the 'ascii import, words" menu
> ,it took a while to do this, and then I saved it, and re opened
> the new file 1089557 May  7 13:25 test_big_file.lyx.
>
> Lyx took about 3 minutes to load this file.
>
> Then I tried to open the test_big_file.txt file with Abiword.
> "Preview release 0.7"
>
> 12:50 Start
> 15:22 And it still hasn't loaded the file!
>
> Looks like pete is right, and Abiword isnt ready yet?
>

> > --
> > Pete
> >

> --
> Kind Regards
> Terry
> --
> ****                                                  ****
>    My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux.
>    1972 Kawa Mach3, 1974 Kawa Z1B, .. 15 more road bikes..
>    Current Ride ...  a 94 Blade
> ** Registration Number: 103931,  http://counter.li.org **

Good show to both of you!  See, Petes' just playing devils advocate...
it will actually make linux stronger in the long run.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux is paralyzed before it even starts
Date: 08 May 2001 06:37:05 GMT

On Sun, 06 May 2001 20:49:23 GMT,
 Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Terry Porter wrote:
>
>> Interestingly Max has always posted from Windows, yet no one here has
>> ever accused him of being a Wintroll!
>
> Then I accuse him of being a hypocrit. Along with good ol' Charlie.
Why ?

One is not a hypocrit for using Windows and advocating Linux imho.

>> Please take note Wintrolls (you know who you are), its not what OS you USE
>> but what you *say* that gets you branded a Wintroll on COLA.
>
> As soon as anyone says they like Windows they're immediately branded a
> WinTroll.

Not by me.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 08 May 2001 06:39:56 GMT

On Mon, 07 May 2001 05:36:42 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Said Terry Porter in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 06 May 2001 08:25:06 GMT;
>>On Sun, 06 May 2001 05:59:52 GMT, T. Max Devlin
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Said GreyCloud in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 05 May 2001 15:10:51

>>> You're welcome.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your time.  Hope it helps.
>>
>>Did I miss something Max ?
>>
>>I like Greybeard, hes got an adventurous spirit and a
>>sense of humour, why the accusation of 'tired old man'
>>????
>
> He wasn't the one being "accused"; you'll notice I was responding to
> flathead.

Ahh, sorry, you make perfect sense now :)
(I didn't see this original post)

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.linux,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 09:25:51 +0200

"Tom Wilson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:btqJ6.10$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

> > I have a PII-400 with 256MB RAM and I can play Unreal Tournament while
> burning
> > a CD.
>
> THAT...is BS.

Why? CD-Burning is not such a heavy task at all. I usually burn CDs while
I'm developing, browsing, while the computer is being worked on by 2 - 5
other people, etc.
I never had a coasted CD because of that, and my CDR is nearly three years
old. 8x4x Panasonic.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 09:37:29 +0200

3
"Stefan Ohlsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 7 May 2001 18:29:54 +0200, Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >"Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >>Sure I've seen the occasional box running DOS in a closet with a unix
> >>print
> >>server client running on it here and there but... that hardly means
MS-DOS
> >>is alive and well.
> >Windows has the killer applications that DOS didn't, what killer
> >applications does XP have that you can't run on 9x?
> >Since it's going to be a long time before stuff that is written to XP
will
> >not be able to run on 9x, I would say you are in for a long wait.
> >
> How about Windows Media Player 8?

Don't make me laugh. Unless it went through a *thourough* overhaul, there
isn't a *chance* of WMP8 being worth a dime.
WMP7 is a bloody resource hog, slow, unresponsive, slow, and did I mention
slow?
Start playing a CD, try changing tracks... On my system, PIII-500+448MB, the
easiest way to do it is to teminate WMP7, and start all over again! And I
won't start talking about how it does MP3...
I got WinampLite, which does everything I want it to, does it fast,
efficently, and reponsively.
Practically *anything* is better than WMP.