From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it does)
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 18:25:20 GMT

In article <935j2c$69c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:935baf$5ob$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <9356ot$rqr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > "Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:932c5b$ju6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Gus

> > > Of course there would be.
> >
> > Never seen one, really. Why would program writers do it?
>
> Assuming that there would be a common file format, there would be
> GPL/LGPL functions/classes/programs to read/write/convert it.

Sure. So what? You seem to live in the dark ages, where everyone
read its config file through raw libc functions?

Hereīs a hint: if the program can read its config file, it already
has the code to parse it!

[snip some]

> > > I expect the program makers to be able to read the file and change
> > > the file format to include the new options & won't include the old
> > > settings which are no longer include in the new version.
> >
> > You are expecting the program maker to write a config file
converter.
> > I still see no reason why they will bother. Not to mention that
doing
> > so becomes more difficult each version.
>
> No, I'm expecting it to use a GPL/LGPL tool to convert it.

So, you expect this magical tool to exist. Who will write it, and
how will it work? I still donīt see any specifics about how it
could work except Kyle Jacobīs "idea" to use AI.

> > > I disagree.
> >
> > You know, I *did* have to write such a thing (krnconvert, check it
> > out in KRN 0.6.9, it didn't quite work) and it was a nightmare.
> > Now, why do you say it will be easy? Is it just a belief?
>
> I'm assuming wide-spread use of this file format, if that would be
> the case, there would be GPL/LGPL ways to deal with it.

There were free, comfortable ways to access all the file formats
involved in the development of krnconvert. Even more, I had all the
code used by the old and the new version to turn the data files into
objects used by the program. It was still a nightmare. Trust me, just
because there is a parser, that is not the hard part!

> If that would be the case, then a programmer would only need to fetch
> those functions & use them.

You must not be a programmer.

> Reading from the file itself is a non-trivial task compare to the
> fscanf you need to read from a flat text file that linux programs use
> today.

Ye gods.

> I'm assuming the existance of ways to deal with it.

I will mention you the tools used in my example: KConfig, Gigabase and
GNU gdbm (with a convenience OO wrapper thingy). No fscanf there.

[snip a bit]

> > > If I install a new program I fully expect it to be able to read
> > > the old format and covert it to the new one.
> >
> > You haven't installed much software, have you?
>
> Only a couple of thousands of applications.

And how many had config file converting tools?

> > > Check the file, it now has dependencies check.
> >
> > What file?
>
> http://www10.ewebcity.com/ayende/lmc.xml

Thanks. Looks like totally unfit for human writing.

> > > I'll improve it sometimes this week.
> >
> > You are shifting the complexity around. You moved the dependency
> > checking from the config tool into the file format. Now the file
> > format is less human readable. Writing a config file from scratch
> > is now almost impossible. Way to go!
>
> I think that a common file format such as the one in the file above
> is worth the disadvantages you mentioned.

Ok. Why?

> Someone else could write a better file format, more human readable.
>
> > Complexity doesn't usually vanish in the air, and I see no signs of
> > this particular instance doing that.
>
> Userwise, it does.

Sadly, itīs not the users who produce free software.

> The user can configure all his programs from one tool, and I don't
> mean pico, and he can see all the options that are opened to him.

I still donīt believe that to be true. At least not in a way where
the user would be able to have his config not explode.

> Personally, I think it's worth the trouble, you apperantly disagree.

Indeed.

But hey, itīs free software. Implement it and come back.

--
Roberto Alsina

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 18:27:43 GMT

In article <QOp56.151403$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm sorry, your sarcasm is lost on me.

Obviously.

>  To me, this sounds like a good idea.

Like replying in anti-chronological order?

Letīs put it this way (sorry, itīs much less sarcastic this time)
The idea of a simple solution to a complex problem just turned into
a very complex solution to a non-problem.

> "Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:935547$vsp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <QWb56.146542$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Listen, there IS a technology called "pattern detection" which
works on
> Word
> > > macro viruses (to detect "suspect" patterns).
> > >
> > > Why can't pattern and behavior recognition be instituted into an
> intelligent
> > > recognition system to recognize the interdependencies, and MODIFY
the
> > > previous configuration strings accordingly?
> > >
> > > I'm thinking an XML system meets heuristics detection from AV.
> >
> > Ok, sure. Now "using XML we can make a tool to configure everything
> > easily" becomes "let's write an AI system so that our universal
> > XML-based config tool doesn't destruct the system".
> >
> > All nice and userfriendly, that.
> >
> > --
> > Roberto Alsina
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 18:46:01 GMT

Another bad analogy, I know NOTHING about sound systems.

news:93aa99$3jf$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Nobody wants Linux because it destroys hard disks.
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 18:48:19 GMT

Ah "bloat".

The refuge of the Linux nut.

I'm sorry to say, but 800 megabytes of OS that do NOTHING for most users is
bloat, whereas 640 megabytes of solid platform WITH popular application
support go a hell of a lot farther in any work environment then the prior.

"JM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 7 Jan 2001 04:46:52 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lewis Miller)) wrote:
>
> >Kyle Jacobs was heard ranting about
> ><mbc56.146555$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> in alt.linux.sux on 04
Jan

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: you dumb. and lazy.
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 18:52:39 GMT

I think you just described all of Long Island flatfish.

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red hat becoming illegal?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 18:57:05 GMT

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 06 Jan 2001 09:41:47 GMT, Tom Wilson wrote:
> >
> >"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> I believe you're confusing "Democract appointee" with "Democrat".
> >> Last I heard, the judges were not supposed to be affiliated with
> >> political parties.
> >
> >They're no different than any other person - Bias and ideology seeps
> >through. Total objectivity is something people just aren't that good at.
>
> I agree (sort of). THough the cause and effect are probably mixed up.
> Judges get appointed be party X because they have compatible views with
> party X, not the other way around.
>
> I agree that political cases are very difficult (and they'd probably be
> near impossible in a jury trial)

Impartiality is impossible, I agree. However, certain people, especially
people who aspire to be Surpeme Court Justices have a measure of honor
higher than the average person. They are able to put their personal
biases aside to some extent.

If the FL SC had made a ruling that was leaning towards the Democrats,
but was still fair and legal in the eyes of everyone, that's one thing.
But to completely disregard the law of Florida, the Constitution of Florida,
AND the Constitution of the United States goes above and beyond simple
bias, or opinion.

The dissenters in the second U.S. SC decision had differing opinions,
the justices in the FL SC, are solely partisans. Their decisions had neither
the law, common sense, nor logic on its side.

-Chad

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: linux reaches the big screen
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Form@C)
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 19:55:06 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

<snip>
>I guess it wouldn't be a good idea to wear my "Support the Bill Gates
>Microsoft Defense Fund" Tee-Shirt?

<grin>
Well, if you did they might just remove more than the ++++ !

--
Mick
Olde Nascom Computers - http://www.mixtel.co.uk

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux,alt.microsoft.sucks
Subject: Re: Exceptions! (WAS: Re: Global Configuration tool)
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 19:52:12 +0000

On Sat, 06 Jan 2001 13:17:01 +0100, Jure Sah <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Peter Hayes wrote:
> >
> > It's a laptop, built by Gateway, and the drive is the combined CD / floppy
> > popular with various laptop builders.
> >
> > Boots fine if the CD / floppy package is removed from the computer.
> >
> > Weird :-)
>
> I'd guess there is the problem: You know what's the startup procedure
> for checking a floppy drive? I guess the MS guys wrote some separate
> procedures. Then when the computer is checking if there is anything in
> the floppy/CD drive, it's also waiting for the CD drive to return "NO
> CD" and that happens only when you push the tray back in!

Doesn't matter whether there's a CD in the drive or not - it just stalls.

> Did you try to remove that floppy/CD package from the "bootables" list
> or moving your hard disk on the top of the list?

Did that early on. No change.

> Gosh, if I was programing this windows thing, I'd probably go insane! So
> many details: one specific option on one specific system with one
> specific equipment and you get an error!
>
> Hehe, another unimportant detailed exception, that's making your life
> worse, eh? =] =]

Fixed it with a re-installation of WinME, the time-honoured cure-all for
Windows problems. This time I'll be watching more closely as I configure
things - maybe I'll find out what I did wrong...

Thanks,

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: Typical Linsux..They can't even view their own movie!!!
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 18:45:32 +0100

It was the Sun, 07 Jan 2001 16:30:35 GMT...
...and [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I find it hysterical!

Maybe you mean 'hilarious'.

mawa
--
"So right now the only vendor that does such a stupid thing is Microsoft."

  -- Linus Torvalds on bad file system interface design. (Open Sources ,
1999 O'Reilly and Associates.)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why NT?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 20:45:18 GMT

At least somewhat honest. I think the things that upset people in these
newsgroups so much is when someone is so bias that they can't even admit
the truth when it's obviously so.

I agree that Unix/Linux is more of a religion. Most people have never
used Unix/Linux since Microsoft has such a dominant position. Each side
has something to learn from the other. Historically Microsoft has had
stability problems (which they may have finally gotten right with W2K).
Before Linux becomes popular it will need to take a chapter from
Microsoft's book regarding ease of use for novice users who think their
monitor is the computer.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: How the f*ck do I install .xpi plugins ?
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:27:07 -0800

On 7 Jan 2001 08:06:20 GMT,
 Donovan Rebbechi, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>I'm reafdy to go on a homicidal rampage out of frustration with
>this f*cking Mozilla POS. The stupid POS wants me to download the plugin
>even though it's already downloaded. I tried hacking the install
>to make the plugin install and for some reason I keep getting
>those annoying popups harrassing me and telling me to download the f*cking
>plugin which I already downloaeded.
>
>It's no wonder MSIE is winning when these f*cking clowns can't release a
>browser that makes it at least possible to download and install f*cking
>plugins. And not only that but it harasses the user asking them to download
>15MB files that they've already downloadewd.
>
>I need the JRE plugin, I've already downlaoded it. Can someone
>suggest how to install these f*cking jre..xpi  files before
>I buy an AK47 from the local supermarket ?

I can't help with the plugin, but I sure would like to know what supermarket I
can get an AK-47 at :)

Would I be correct in assuming that the jre plugin is a java run time env?
If so, what does it do that the mozilla one lacks? (just curious, haven't
played with java)

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:35:30 -0800

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001 10:09:42 +0200,
 Ayende Rahien, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>"Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:xPT56.56281$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:938o2v$q9j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> on

>> > This goes to every permission FS in the world, you know.
>> > If you give Everyone full access to a directory, Everyone will be able
>> do
>> > whatever they want with the files in that directory.
>>
>> It doesn't happen with the typical unix FS configuration that you
>> see in /tmp or the mail spool.  If you set the 'sticky' bit on the
>> directory,  you can allow anyone to create files (with file permissions
>> being independent of the directory) but only the owner of the file is
>> allowed to delete it.
>
>Let me see, how hard would it be on NT?
>
>On NTFS partition, create a directory, remove inheritable permissions, clean
>the permissions list and do the following steps.
>
>Give Everyone the following permissions:
>-Create Files / Write Data
>-Create Folders / Append Data
>-List Folder / Read Data
>Apply this to:
>This folder only
>
>Give CREATOR OWNER:
>-Full Control.
>Apply this to:
>Subdirectores and files only.

Gee, that is so much more intuitive and user friendly than
a single command from a shell...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: Sucking Linux 2.0.4!!!
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 12:55:39 -0800

On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 09:24:17 +0000,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED], in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>genkai wa doko da wrote:
>>
>> linux usings being fagit who don't know real perfesional operatoning
>> systim like windows NT!!
>>
>> fuck off!
>>
>> Sent via Deja.com
>> http://www.deja.com/
>
>And in English?

Translated from gibberish
"I am a troll trying to flame, but I am really bad at it, please take pity
on my really poor communication abilities."

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)
Subject: Re: Uptimes
Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2001 13:14:31 -0800

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 15:49:14 +0200,
 Ayende Rahien, in the persona of <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 brought forth the following words...:

>"JSPL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:92t60g$cks$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> > "JSPL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> server
>> assinine
>> > aware
>> >
>> > www.walmart.com
>>
>> I wasn't aware IIs 5.0 had been ported to Linux. Sounds fishy to me :-)
>
>It wasn't.
>The server identify itself as IIS5, btw.
>But trying to go to http://www.walmart.com/thispagedoesnotexist.gsp
>The response isn't unlike *anything* that I've seen coming from IIS
>Not to mention that the file path is totally un-windows one.

Nmap calls it as either some AIX varient, or Solaris 2.6-2.7, in decending
order of probability. It is the webserver which claims it is IIS5.0, but that
is something that is easily spoofed.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why Hatred?
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 20:57:37 GMT

Mildly agree since this is our interest anyhow. Stance could also be
influenced by vehicle ownership.

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is easier to install than windows
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 20:45:36 GMT

In article <93abnu$qrn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "ono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> ------=_NextPart_000_006A_01C078DC.DDDD73F0
>
> What is X and what is a parition? I just put in the CD and walked
away.=20

But what if I *WANT* to set up partitions and set my screan resolution
at the time I install? Both of wich I want to do on a regular basis. How
easy is that to do with windows?

> "Richard Wright" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message =
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > When I install Linux its as easy to do as Windows. The only hard
parts =
> being
> > the X configuration (there ought to be a new tool for this by now)
and =
> the
> > partitioning - which has to be done for Windows as well. Everything
=
> else
> > then falls into place for a great desktop operating system.
> >=20
> >=20
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_006A_01C078DC.DDDD73F0

> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; =
> charset=3Diso-8859-1">
> <STYLE></STYLE>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>What is X and what is a parition? I =
> just put in the=20
> CD and walked away. </FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
> <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Richard Wright" &lt;</FONT><A=20
> href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]"><FONT face=3DArial=20
> size=3D2>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial
size=3D2>&gt; =
> wrote in=20
> message </FONT><A href=3D"news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]"><FONT =
> face=3DArial=20
> size=3D2>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]</FONT></A><FONT
face=3DArial=20