Linux-Advocacy Digest #341, Volume #31            Mon, 8 Jan 01 22:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: Who LOVES Linux again? (Steve Mading)
  Re: Windows 2000 (Ed Allen)
  Re: Windows 2000 (Ed Allen)
  Re: Why Advocacy? (Andres Soolo)
  Re: Windows 2000 ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Linux *has* the EDGE! ("Kyle Jacobs")
  Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it does) ("Kyle Jacobs")
  Re: Why is MS copying Sun??? ("James A. Robertson")
  Re: Duh! ->was: Linux is crude and inconsistant. ("Kyle Jacobs")
  Re: kernel problems ("Kyle Jacobs")
  Re: Linux is easier to install than windows ("Kyle Jacobs")
  Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant. (.)
  Re: Linux *has* the EDGE! (.)
  Re: VB job offer, and ensuing dilemma ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: KDE Hell (Donn Miller)
  Re: kernel problems (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
  Re: Why Hatred? ("Joseph T. Adams")
  Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever (Jan Purwin)
  Re: Linux *has* the EDGE! (Terry Porter)
  Re: open source is getting worst with time. ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: KDE Hell (Donovan Rebbechi)
  Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it does) ("Les Mikesell")
  Re: kernel problems (Russ Lyttle)

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Who LOVES Linux again?
Date: 9 Jan 2001 00:45:23 GMT

Les Mikesell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: Yes, but what is your point?  I run Netscape under Linux every day on at
: least three different boxes and leave it running for weeks or months at a
: time.  Netscape itself has locked a few times, mostly from hitting some
: broken java code, but it hasn't locked the rest of the system or interfered
: with the ability to open a new window in at least a year, and back when
: it did I think it was an X problem, not a Netscape problem.  Even then
: it didn't happen often enough to make much of a diagnosis.

I'm not sure what the technical term is for it, but there is a problem
I've seen in Netscape where it fully grabs all mouse and keyboard input
for a brief window of time when you click on the menu-bar.  If Netscape
should happen to lock up right then and there, then it still has stolen
all the input away from everything else, and you can't get it back.  The
visual efect of this is that the mouse pointer, while it will move around
the screen, it won't do anything when you click on things, and the
keyboard focus won't change even in focus-follows-mouse mode, and the
pointer's icon doesn't change like it's supposed to (It's still stuck
as the left-pointing arrow that it was going to use on the pulldown
menu in Netscape.)

The only solution to this is to drop down to a virtual console
and kill -9 on Netscape.  But this is not the obvious solution
because it looks like it's the entirety of X that's locked up
(not just Netscape).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 01:01:02 GMT

In article <wjh66.381$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>That's about a Windows 3.x VxD which made Windows run faster when used with
>MS-DOS, that was not a "hidden API" used by Windows applications to make
>them run faster.

    An API kept secret from a competitor to prevent their software from
    running *at all* does not qualify as a hidden API ?

    You are a Microsoft Sock Puppet !
--
"Bank of America Chief Executive David Coulter recently suggested that
if he had one silver bullet, he would use it for Microsoft."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 01:01:02 GMT

In article <Unh66.382$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Ed Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:93c61j$om7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>> T. Max Devlin  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >Said Erik Funkenbusch in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 7 Jan 2001
>21:14:42 -0600;
>> >
>> >Because they had been caught, and there was, after all, no technical
>> >reason, nor any pro-competitive one, for them to leave it out in the
>> >first place.  So they waited a few months, and once their forced
>> >bundling practices had ensured that all OEMs had been shipping the new
>> >Office long enough to provide sufficient penetration to 'infect' the
>> >majority of the large-scale installed base, it didn't matter anymore.
>> >
>>     I have to disagree here.  They provided the filter to encourage 95
>>     users to give documents to 97 users which would be assured to be
>>     in 97 format when they came back.
>
>*sigh*  One more time.  This is not about 97 being able to read 95
>documents.  This is not about 97 being able to (or not) save in "official"
>95 format.  This is simply about 95 being able to read 97 documents
>unchanged, which could be done by simply installing the 97 import filter
>*FOR* 95 which was available free of charge from the MS office site (and was
>there weeks before Office 97 actually shipped) or was on the Office 97 CD.
>The support department could have easily upgarded all the users of Word 95
>to include the new filter and there would have been no problems.

    Max is right about you wanting to chatter on about an import filter
    because you want everybody to miss the anticompetitive behavior.

    Sock Puppets don't make good misdirectors the hand is too easy to
    see.

From: Andres Soolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Advocacy?
Date: 9 Jan 2001 01:11:15 GMT

Form@C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Certainly within the home and small business sector "user applications" are
> installed and run on the desktop machines, although their data may be
Why certainly?

> stored on a server. Some packages, particularly in the CAD field, cannot
> easily be run on a server in any case (the program segments may be stored
> on it though so that they are run *from* the server rather than *on* it)
> because they often require direct hardware access to operate. Games,
Ugh ...
Why would CAD software need direct hardware access?

--
Andres Soolo   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

If a man had a child who'd gone anti-social, killed perhaps, he'd still
tend to protect that child.
                -- McCoy, "The Ultimate Computer", stardate 4731.3

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 19:12:37 -0600

"Ed Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93dl6r$q18$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <wjh66.381$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >That's about a Windows 3.x VxD which made Windows run faster when used
with
> >MS-DOS, that was not a "hidden API" used by Windows applications to make
> >them run faster.
> >
>     An API kept secret from a competitor to prevent their software from
>     running *at all* does not qualify as a hidden API ?

Reread the document.  It was an a VxD which sped up file accessing, not a
hidden API which prevented other software from working at all.

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux *has* the EDGE!
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 01:03:27 GMT

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93d9po$55k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > It's Linux, it's 79% BETA and "pre-release" version software.  It's
scary.

> Thats not true at all.  I'm running a debian install at work that is
running
> absolutely no beta software at all.

I'd double check to see just how many "zeros" and odd numbers precede actual
numbers and even ones on the revisions of various software on your
workstation.

> The only person with this problem who is posting here is claire.

I'd take a look at alt.os.Linux, and the various other Linux "support" Ng's.
Look at cnet's help.com's Linux section, look at the array of Linux support
companies cropping up.  The sheer number of people with "same problem" value
is staggering, but not quite nearly as sheer as "different problem" posts.

Come on, you don't see an NG called "alt.be.sux" do we?

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: linux does NOT suck (oh yes it does)
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 01:04:16 GMT

Windows has a unified configuration system called the REGISTERY.

Linux has /etc.

Guess which one is light years ahead of the other.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "James A. Robertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why is MS copying Sun???
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 01:09:34 GMT

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Monopolizing is illegal, as is attempting to monopolize, so obviously
> there are no monopolies that are legal.  Coincidentally enough, there
> are other terms for what is often, inaccurately, called a monopoly;
> public utility and regulated market being the two most common.

Those are other terms used when the government decides to protect a
monopoly by law.  It's also the only way monopolies exist for long
periods of time in the market - naturally occurring monopolies are
shortlived.

--
James A. Robertson
Product Manager (Smalltalk), Cincom

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Duh! ->was: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 01:09:28 GMT

No, according to the post, it states

"Duh! -> was: Linux is crude an inconsistent."

I do believe we're talking about Linux being crude and inconsistent, with
someone posting "duh" to the title, indicating agreement.

Nope, we're still on track.

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: kernel problems
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 01:10:51 GMT

With Windows, you don't need to recompile, you download the DRIVER run the
INSTALLER and you've got yourself the latest, greatest from whoever made
"it".

With Linux, compilation has been kept around, apparently to make things
"more complicated" to ward away those evil "humans".

Gee, seems to be working.

news:93dbh4$8du4o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is easier to install than windows
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 01:17:48 GMT

Not only that, instructions, that's right, INSTRUCTIONS are readily
available AND very descriptive on how to write an automatic install script
for the Windows NT / 2000 installer.

What obvious innovation...

Now, how long will it take for Linux to get this.?

news:93dmi2$oao$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: 9 Jan 2001 01:24:44 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:

>> * wrote:
>> >
>> > "." wrote:
>>
>> Now just hold on here a minute!!!!  How do we know that
>> "*" isn't really "." in disguise!!!???

> c'mon, " . " is just a little speck..

> i'm a wildcard! ;)

Yes, but I am your current working directory.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: 9 Jan 2001 01:26:06 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:93d9po$55k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > It's Linux, it's 79% BETA and "pre-release" version software.  It's
> scary.
>>
>> Thats not true at all.  I'm running a debian install at work that is
> running
>> absolutely no beta software at all.

> I'd double check to see just how many "zeros" and odd numbers precede actual
> numbers and even ones on the revisions of various software on your
> workstation.

Theres no double checking nessesary.  I know exactly what its running, and it
is running absolutely no beta code at all.

>> The only person with this problem who is posting here is claire.

> I'd take a look at alt.os.Linux, and the various other Linux "support" Ng's.
> Look at cnet's help.com's Linux section, look at the array of Linux support
> companies cropping up.  The sheer number of people with "same problem" value
> is staggering, but not quite nearly as sheer as "different problem" posts.

Then take a look at how many windows consultants there are compared to how
many linux consultants there are.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: VB job offer, and ensuing dilemma
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 01:24:19 GMT

For anybody who was paying attention, I turned down the job offer.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 20:38:52 -0500
From: Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE Hell

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> You're confusing kwm with KDE. They are not the same.

But still, are you able to use other window mangers with KDE, other than
kwm?  Theoretically, it's possible to use Window Maker, but in reality,
it didn't work so well with KDE 2.0 the last time I tried it.  So, KDE
may be an application framework, but from my experience, you're stuck
with kwm, even if you don't like it.  And yes, I did configure Window
Maker for KDE hints.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
Date: 09 Jan 2001 01:52:42 GMT

>With Windows, you don't need to recompile, you download the DRIVER run the
>INSTALLER and you've got yourself the latest, greatest from whoever made
>"it".

But it's not always the best.  When you make a precompiled package, you have to
optomize for one thing, so you may end up with less-than-optimal performance
under different CPU types or configurations.
--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
Colony name not needed in address.

------------------------------

From: "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Hatred?
Date: 9 Jan 2001 01:55:24 GMT

T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in part:

: Win32 is an entire pile of OS, middleware, and application APIs.

It's a pile of *something* - that's for sure.  :)

Joe

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 17:23:06 -0500
From: Jan Purwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever

Are arguing about semantics, a crapy  bloatware is crapy product to start with.
Unfortunately those naive
folks that never had experience with real computers cannot make any judgment
whatsoever.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 09 Jan 2001 02:23:15 GMT

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001 08:28:48 +0000, Pete Goodwin
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Terry Porter wrote:
>
>>   I've finally finished upgrading my Linux box to Mandrake7.2!
>
>How long did that take you?
Each install took about 3/4 hr I suppose, but I redid the install from scratch
several times and tried a few different things, including the Reisfer File
System (journalled) which I'm now using.

>>   Now I always kept my old system fairly up to date, but the new Mandrake
>>   is amazingly easy to install, and I must admit things have improved a
>>   lot since Redhat 4.2!
>
>It is an amazing package to install, but annoying when you try to be
>selective in what you install. I installed KDE 2.0 but because I didn't
>setup my modem, pppd wasn't installed! Luckily, it was easy to install that
>afterwards but, as Home Simpson would say - "D'oh!".
I run a old 486dx50 Linux single floppy router, so I didnt need to use PPP.

>>   I think you could probably, pop the cd in your pc and boot from it,
>>   select "standard install" and simply go away after youve anwered the
>>   relevant questions about internet connection, printer type etc. During
>>   the install, the CD opens automaticaly and the installer asks you for
>>   the second CD. Neat.
>
>Previous versions of Mandrake (7.0 I seem to remember) had problems asking
>for the CD.
This is the first Mandrake I've ever used.

>>   Xfree86 was a total breeze, my ISA NIC card autoprobed perfectly, so did
>>   my ISA soundcard. PCI video card was picked up straight away.
>
>Since my sound card is only supported by a non-free driver and KDE 2.0
>froze last time I tried it, this is still broken.
My sound card is a $20 el cheapo, pci ess1688 I think.

>>   Oh its also WAY faster.
>>
>>   Good one Mandrake, worth every penny, and once again showing Linux *has*
>>   the EDGE!
>
>What edge? I can't see anything on Linux running faster than on Windows.
The Free Software edge of course.

>Response on X seems sluggish at times.
X does so much more than Windows tho, theyre NOT the same.

>Applications are the usual hotch potch of half-beta-test and broken bits
>and pieces (for those of you out there about to lynch me forf saying this -
>this is HYPERBOLE. Apparently some of you can't recognise it).
Hyperbola.] (Rhet.)
   A figure of speech in which the expression is an evident
   exaggeration of the meaning intended to be conveyed, or by
   which things are represented as much greater or less, better
   or worse, than they really are; a statement exaggerated
   fancifully, through excitement, or for effect.

Then excuse us if we ignore your exaggeration ?

>The basics are there but there's more work to be done to be "the Edge"
>compared to the desktop on Windows.
Not to me. Imho Windows cant hack it, lacks resources, stability, and is *
closed software*.

Thats why I havent used Windows since 1997. Linux supplies all my software
needs, and life without buggy Windows software, really has to be tried to be
believed.

I'm a believer.

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: open source is getting worst with time.
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 02:34:18 GMT

"Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:93c8bi$af6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > You can install just about all of the Microsoft apps/server apps
> from
> > > the command line with an answer or ini file.  If other vendors
> choose
> > > not to make the command line option available, that's their problem.
> > > The mechanisms are there, just that many don't use them...
> >
> > Try installing a package via telnet this way some time and see how it
> > works to answer questions you can't see.
>
> Read the post again.  You can install just about all the Microsoft apps
> from the command line, without requiring GUI input.

Doesn't making an answer or ini file imply that you must already
know the answers to all the possible questions?   What if
you don't?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Date: 9 Jan 2001 02:34:55 GMT

On Mon, 08 Jan 2001 20:38:52 -0500, Donn Miller wrote:
>Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>
>> You're confusing kwm with KDE. They are not the same.
>
>But still, are you able to use other window mangers with KDE, other than
>kwm?

Yes. Konqueror, konsole, kwrite, koffice, ... work under any window
manager. Installing kdelibs and kde applications will not prevetn
your window manager from functioning.

> Theoretically, it's possible to use Window Maker, but in reality,
>it didn't work so well with KDE 2.0 the last time I tried it.  So, KDE

Now you're confusing "kdebase" with KDE. kdebase is *NOT* KDE.
It's a proper subset of KDE.

>may be an application framework, but from my experience, you're stuck
>with kwm, even if you don't like it.  And yes, I did configure Window

If you want to run the kdebase desktop components (such as the panel for
example) that are designed specifically for kwm, then of course that's
true.

But you don't seem to have a very good understanding of what KDE is.
First you thought it was a window manager, and now you seem to think
that it's the union of all programs that the startkde script fires up.
(a window manager + window-manager enhancements like session management,
audio service, the panel, etc.)

All the KDE applications, bar "kwm and friends" in kdebase, will work
equally well in any window manager.

--
Donovan Rebbechi * http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/ *
elflord at panix dot com

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 02:37:28 GMT

"Kyle Jacobs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:kst66.13389$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Windows has a unified configuration system called the REGISTERY.
>
> Linux has /etc.
>
> Guess which one is light years ahead of the other.

The one that allows you to run a test instance of a program at the same
time as the production copy but using a command line switch to
point it to an alternate file.   The one that allows recovery of
an unbootable system by using an alternate boot (floppy, etc.)
and copying in correct versions of some files.

From: Russ Lyttle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 02:39:39 GMT

Craig Kelley wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > I need some help. I try compiling a kernel, completely stripped down with
> > only the necessary stuff I need for my comp, and I always use modules when
> > available, yet I cannot get a kernel smaller than 1.4 Meg. I even tryed
> > compiling as 'make Image' and 'make bzImage' yet both were EXACTLY the same
> > size in bytes. A kernel that size will not go into my MBR, and lilo gives a
> > fatal error when trying to install it. I am using kernel 2.4-a3. Any ideas on
> > how I can get a kernel that size into lilo to boot, or why I am getting
> > kernels that size. BTW, I tried creating a symlink to the image and have lilo
> > load the symlink, but the symlink is just as big as the image itself. Please,
> > I know SOMEONE can help. I know this is probably the wrong board to post this
> > to, but I keep getting an error on the other Linux boards.
>
> #1 Fri Jan 5 12:36:44 MST 2001 i686 unknown
> [ink@desconocido ink]$ ls -l /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root       827197 Jan  5 12:46 /usr/src/linux/...
>
> Only 827k.
>
> Are you sure you're looking at the correct image?
>
> --
> The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
> Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP block
Several others have pointed out that you might have the wrong image, so I'll just ask
have you looked at older smaller versions?
If you are very memory bound, one of the 1.x kernels could save you lots of space if
it has sufficient functionality.
--
Russ
<http://www.flash.net/~lyttlec>