From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: KDE Hell
Date: 10 Jan 2001 20:06:05 -0700

"Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> "Craig Kelley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > SMP under Linux levels off after four processors, similar to FreeBSD.
> >
> > FreeBSD can't even MIGRATE PROCESSES (much less, kernel functions).
> >
> > It's not in the same class as Linux or Windows NT for that matter.
> >
> > > Real SMP support is found under Commercial UNIX's, and Windows NT.
> >
> > How is Windows NT/2000 better than Linux 2.4.0?
> >
> > Caveots:
> >
> > 1)  FreeBSD is a great platform, don't get me wrong -- I just wouldn't
> > use it for SMP performance; I'd use it for other (network) performance
> > bennies.
> >
> > 2)  Yes, Solaris, Irix, AIX (etc.) kick both Linux and Windows NT out
> > the door with massivly MP machines.
> >
> > 3)  You can run Linux on 32 processor mahcines *right now* -- Windows
> > 2000 can't outside of Redmond.
>
> http://www5.compaq.com/products/servers/proliantml770/index.html

Not available yet; still waiting for Microsoft...

> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/guide/datacenter/hardware/default.asp

That's nice, if it ever become a reality.

Search for Windos 2000 datacenter

MicroWarehouse: 0 results
Insight: 0 results
Egghead: 0 results

I also enjoyed this quote from Compaq's site:

Q1. What is the difference between the ProLiant ML770 and the
AlphaServer GS320?

A1.  If you are looking for the highest possible performance from a
Compaq server you should consider the AlphaServer GS320 series.

(which, of course, can't run Windows 2000)

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: you dumb. and lazy.
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:06:47 GMT

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:00:53 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I challenge him to try storm linux (debian based). I'm sure even apt
>is beyond his abilities but stormpkg is a nice clickity click interface
>to apt. He just has to point his browser at www.stormix.com.

Tried it already. I got Storm Linux and Mandrake 7.1 with some Linux
magazine I picked up in Borders bookstore.

Wouldn't even install on my system.
 Froze up solid.
Flatfish
Why do they call it a flatfish?
Remove the ++++ to reply.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:07:02 GMT

>On Wed, 10 Jan 2001 04:24:01 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie
>Ebert) wrote:
>

>>Linux is unfeasible at work?
>>
>>Either you lived with your head up your ass your entire life or you
>>need to put your cheeks on a diet.
>
>Call up 10 Fortune 100 companies and ask them what their standard
>desktop and mobile platform is and report back to us.

Let's read this statement again moron.

"Linux is unfeasible at work"

>>HA~!  Windows being more usable than Linux in a business environment.
>

>See above.

Let's read this statement again moron.

"Linux is unfeasible at work"

>>You are really some kind of crazy dreamer Kyle.
>
>No. He is a realist Charlie and backs up his statements with facts and
>not a blind zealot spouting off with no data to back up the claims.

What FACTS IDIOT!  The notion that Windows is a better option
for the office place than Linux is VAPORTHOUGHTS!

IT's more expensive!  It's less stable!  It's a security threat
which even the U.S. Government has finally recognized!

The ONLY reason Windows is still in Corporate America is
because middle aged FAT ASSES who drive Pontiacs are
currently in control!

>>Charlie
>

>Flatfish
>Why do they call it a flatfish?
>Remove the ++++ to reply.

Do I make myself clear Mr. Flatfish!

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:08:13 GMT

On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:03:28 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> It's all about ease of use and applications and Linux has neither.
>
>Don't fret child, maturity will surely come one day.

The mature person is the one who spends time using applications, not
screwing around compiling kernels and tinkering with some wannabe
operating system.

Like Linux for example.

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: 10 Jan 2001 20:08:42 -0700

Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Craig Kelley wrote:
>
> > How is Windows NT/2000 better than Linux 2.4.0?
>
> Easy.  It has a microkernel, which allows for much better CPU scaling
> WRT SMP.

1) NT does NOT have a uK.  Even the NT 3.51 developers wouldn't call
it a uK, and it's just gotten bigger since then.

2) A uK doesn't mean high scalability.  Look at SGI Origin systems.
Look at MP-machines.  There are several ways to achieve scalability,
and beautiful architectures are generally *not* the way to do it.

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Linux misseery cont.
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:09:53 GMT

In article <93ijun$rj4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>LINUX ANONYMOUSE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> It amases me every time that someone tends to object to linux that
>> everyone insults him.  I personally use slackware linux and sometimes
>> find it very annoying to configure as well.  As for the GUI I totally
>> agree..... AKA IT SUCKS.  I have yet to find a GUI that is easy to
>> configure linux, click and point easy, and very user friendly.
>
>Then dont use linux.  If you want pointy-clicky, stick with windows.
>
>See ya.

No NO NO no no no...

If you want pointy-clicky you need GNOME installed on your Potato!

Use Debian.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: link two directory together?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 02:58:01 GMT

Hi,
   COuld someone tell me how to do it?
   If I have 2 hard disk in Linux
   and I create a directory /kk in /dev/hda
   then I create a directory /bb in /dev/hdb

   then how can I link /kk and /bb together?
    thank you very much!
kevin

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:17:26 GMT

On 10 Jan 2001 09:58:08 -0600, Conrad Rutherford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

|"Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
|news:93ddau$a5i0p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
|>
|> What about using whole partitions as virtual memory without a filesystem
|> getting in the way - linux has done this since version 1.x over 6 years
|ago
|> (up to 128mb per partition with virtually unlimited number of partitions).
|
|gee, a WHOLE 128 mb in a partition? Whoo pee!! And so what? What's the
|advantage? There is still a file system in use, it's just that you can't
|store user files on it, but there is a system file on it, it's the vitual
|memory file. it's managed by the OS as a file. ugh, no advantage at all if
|you ask me.

Well, the 128Mb swap partition limit was removed in kernel 2.2 so it
hasn't been arround for some time. This got very little publicity.

I wouldn't call how the swap partition is used a "filesystem".
As I understand it (and I'm not a kernel  programmer, so I may be wrong)
it's handled as a big array of 4k pages that are mapped to virtual memory
as required. No high level abstactions like files, directories, etc.

Probably very similar to the way NT handles the internal structure in
its swap file (pagefile.sys).

If you prefer the big file on a real filesystem approach, Linux can do
that as well. Very handy when you need some more swap on a temporary
basis. Just create a big file ('dd' is handy for this), prepare it with
'mkswap', and activate it with 'swapon'. When you have finished, you
deactivate it with 'swapoff' and delete the file.

Not a reboot in sight.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Predictions
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:14:09 GMT

In article <3a5c8ee1$0$44713$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Conrad Rutherford wrote:

>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Conrad Rutherford wrote:
>> >
>> > "Joseph T. Adams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:935kn8$8lg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > <snip crap>

>> > And as a grown-up I recognize that what MS does is not even remotely a
>> > crime, let alone an organized one. They are a successful company and a
>huge
>> > one at that - how else would you expect the largest software company to
>act
>> > and be reacted to by the smaller companies and wannabe's? Let MS fall,
>fine.
>> > Now let Oracle step up - do you expect anything different? Do you think
>if
>> > MS fell and RedHat became the next biggest software company in the world
>> > (divine intervention assuming) - would they do anything differnt? Hell
>no,
>> > they are in it for the money. Period.
>>
>> The point is for NO one company to have absolute fucking market
>> domination, you idiotic fucking brainless shithead.
>
>Brainless?
>
>Do you really think MS has "absolute fucking market domination?"
>
>If so - I have a bridge to sell you. That's like saying they can buy
>judges - gee, didn't work recently now did it? Silly - if they had "absolute
>fucking market domination" there would simply be no Mac and no Linux and no
>Slowaris, period.
>
>Grow a brain eh?

GEEZE!  Do you think David K was a bad boy?

Of course Microsoft is a market dominating, convicted pig from hell!

Anybody who can ask this question and maintain a straight face
is strictly on leave from your local mental institution.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux *has* the EDGE!
Date: 11 Jan 2001 03:11:50 GMT

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001 07:58:43 +0000,
 Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Charlie Ebert wrote:
>
>> I was just flying over in my Potato noticed something down and
>> to my 3 and read this message.
>
>He's finally cracked. He's flying a potato!
Its called *humour* Goodwin, something you seem to have no idea about.

>> >X does so much more than Windows tho, theyre NOT the same.
>>
>> Geeze.  X slow.  Not my X.  I run Debian.
>
>"I'm the man from UNCLE". Everyone stops, drops to their knees and starts
>worshipping him.
And you say Ebert has *cracked* !!!

>> I'm sitting here with 2.2R2 Debian {Potato} installed and listening to
>> some Simon & Garfunkle on my SB Live card - Mrs. Robinson....
>
>I'm running Linux Mandrake 7.2 and my sound card doesn't have a driver that
>doesn't hang KDE2.0
So what since when was KDE2.0 Linux ?
Talk to KDE about it ?

>> The difference between Debian and Windows is best compared said as
>> the difference between an F15 and a Greyhound bus.
>
>Where Windows is the F15 and Linux + KDE2.0 is the Greyhound bus.
Bzzzzzzzt, next contestant please.

>> Then when you realize that Debian your using was downloaded over the net
>> with a floppy or two as an assistant, you wonder why anybody is so stupid
>> as to run Windows.
>
>Not on my 56k modem and not here in the UK. There are no free phone calls
>here yet.
There are no free phone calls anywhere Goodwin, do you have a point ?

>> I can be playing my Napster, downloading ftp from 3 sites, compiling a
>> kernel have a spreadsheet open, a word document open, and by typing this
>> message back
>> and this thing just doesn't skip a beat.  You can't even dream of doing
>> shit like this with Windows.
>
>I've done this, so what dream?
Really ??
How long did it take you to compile the Windows kernel ?

>> If every business in North America were running Debian we would have far
>> fewer problems with distributed procesing power that we currently do with
>> Windows, we would have far less licensing problems, we would have far less
>> problems period.
>
>And everyone would be using the CLI 'cos the GUI components you can get are
>so far behind Windows. Let's all stay in the '70's.
Goodwin has used KDE by his own admission, the CLI argument is a very old and
sad Wintroll argument, and Goodwin knows better. He persists with it because ..

                 ***** Goodwin is a Wintroll ******

>--
>Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2
So what ?
You're a Windows lemming Goodwin... probably always will be.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:15:29 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Jan 2001 00:03:28 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >> It's all about ease of use and applications and Linux has neither.
> >
> >Don't fret child, maturity will surely come one day.
>
> The mature person is the one who spends time using applications, not
> screwing around compiling kernels and tinkering with some wannabe
> operating system.

You mean like when Windows shits on its own settings, and won't boot,
so then you have to re-install from scratch, and then you spend the next
week re-installing all the apps....

I spend more time on "tinkering" with Windows, trying to just keep
the performance to stay constant, in one month, than in YEARS for
Unix/Linux systems

why is that?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:16:45 -0500

Craig Kelley wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> > On 10 Jan 2001 08:39:31 -0700, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >

> > >Orgy?  Functionless?
> >
> > I can drag a menu item tight off the start menu or any other menu
> > under Windows and put it anywhere.
> >
> > How do I do that under Enlightenment?
> >
> > Edit some obtuse config file, that's how.
> >
> > Sure sounds like functionless to me.
> >
> > Orgy?
> >
> > Maybe for the Penguinista's because they love editing files.
>
> Pardon me, but we were talking about GNOME and KDE (see subject
> line).  Both can do this just fine.
>
> I still have no idea where the 'orgy' part comes in.

That's the kind of party that flathead--- never gets invited too

> --
> The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
> Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP block

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:18:08 -0500

Craig Kelley wrote:

> Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > SMP under Linux levels off after four processors, similar to FreeBSD.
>
> FreeBSD can't even MIGRATE PROCESSES (much less, kernel functions).
>
> It's not in the same class as Linux or Windows NT for that matter.
>
> > Real SMP support is found under Commercial UNIX's, and Windows NT.
>
> How is Windows NT/2000 better than Linux 2.4.0?
>
> Caveots:
>
> 1)  FreeBSD is a great platform, don't get me wrong -- I just wouldn't
> use it for SMP performance; I'd use it for other (network) performance
> bennies.
>
> 2)  Yes, Solaris, Irix, AIX (etc.) kick both Linux and Windows NT out
> the door with massivly MP machines.
>
> 3)  You can run Linux on 32 processor mahcines *right now* -- Windows
> 2000 can't outside of Redmond.

Redmond Washington must have some strange energy field...or somethin...

> --
> The wheel is turning but the hamster is dead.
> Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.isu.edu/~kellcrai finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP block

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: The pros and cons of Linux vs Windows
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:20:06 GMT

In article <Q2376.167345$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pete Goodwin wrote:
>Linux is crash free compared to Windows 98 SE. However...

I've waited along time for this Pete.

>KDE konqueror can't seem to see SMB drives on either a SAMBA server or a
>Windows PC.

Yes it can.  Your not running Debian are you.

>Konqueror as a web browser appears to have problems with some of the web
>sites I visit. Netscape works but has two weaknesses - dreadful fonts and
>poor file saving - it displays a MOTIF style save dialog that doesn't
>understand the concept of caching the last directory saved to.

I'm aware of your previous comments.  I dont' think the font's are
that dreadful but there ARE some websites Konqueror still can't view.

>KDE konqueror works fine with NFS mounted drivers, but I've yet to find a
>free NFS server for Windows.

I don't know why you'd want a NFS server for Windows?

Why not just NMB.

>Konqueror has problems with file save dialogs but it at least remembers
>context.

I've not see this yet.

But I've been spending more time with Gnome these days on Debian.

>Windows appears to give the best all around answer but crashes or hangs too
>much.

I can't honestly say Windows gave me more functionality
than KDE nor GNOME and yet Windows crashed all the time
in routine use.  The last time I had a GNOME crash was
a couple of years ago in the beta stages.

>Neither gets my vote. So, either I try Windows 2000 in the hope it doesn't
>crash/hang as much as Windows 98 SE or wait for another version of KDE2 and
>Mandrake.
>
>--
>Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

Why don't you evaluate Potato from Debian and use GNOME.

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:20:45 +1200

Hi Ayende,

> > Do you know how Microsoft improved the results so much? (Also possibly
> > helped by the fact that Linux still might not scale as well as the
number
> > of processors is increased?)
>
> According to your previous post, TUX would work only with 2.4, which has
the
> best SMP support for Linux.

Look Aydene I'm not trying to be deceptive. You've showed me new facts that
has tempered my initial posting. I'm happy in accepting the truth.

We know SMP support has been improved in Linux but it may still not scale
that well past 4 processors. The figures you alerted me to was an 8
processor machine. The other one was 4 processors. That could be one of the
reasons for why Win2k was much closer and that's why I brought the issue up.

Another fact we should be aware of is that Windows 2000 now only runs on
Intel hardware. So we won't even get Win2k results for many of the
impressive pieces of non-Intel hardware out there that Linux can now run on.

> The point stand, Tux isn't used in production, it's a benchmark tool only,
> IIS is a production server.

Then was the article I posted wrong in stating "Red Hat started shipping Tux
earlier this quarter with a prerelease version of the Linux 2.4 kernel,
which Tux requires. Red Hat is supporting this early build of the kernel for
use with Tux."

If it's supported it's supported. Regardless of whether Linus says the
kernel is a pre-release. Some pre-release Linux software can be surprisingly
stable. Redhat will have tested for this and would have been willing to
support its use in a production environment.

If Tux was in fact not supported I'd appreciate some evidence so I don't
make a future mistake.

Regards,
Adam

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: kernel problems
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 22:21:24 -0500

Kyle Jacobs wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Kyle's problem is that he believes in paying premium prices for the
> > plate o' shit.
>
> If people like me didn't do that, people like you would be out of a job.

Notice that Kyle admits to paying premium prices for plates o' shit.

Now...as for me being out of a job....my job is to get SYSTEMS working.

If the people I'm working for don't spend premium prices for a plate
of shit...

Does that make the amount of money left over to pay me...

a) less
b) MORE

Do the math.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Windows 2000
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 03:23:38 GMT

In article <X1176.15$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>"Ian Davey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Shane Phelps
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Let's hope the Word 2K converters work better than the Word 97 ones.
>> >Word 97 had a bad habit of saving 0 length files when saving in
>> >Word 95 format, at least early in the piece.
>>
>> What suprises me is the omission from the list above (i.e. Word 97).
>What's
>> the point of exporting to Word 95, but not the previous version of Word?
>It'll
>> result in a painful migration from 97 to 2000. As you'll have the problems
>> caused by Word 2000's export to Word 95, compounded with the problems with
>> Word 97's import of Word 95. Or in other words, a nightmarish mess.
>
>Word 2000 and Word 97 use the same format.  The files are interchangeable.

Maybe based on YOUR experience with them EF but
this statement is NOT TRUE.

But thanks for playing.

Charlie